PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Plan - MANDATORY SERVICE

Alycursed
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't know much about this whole thing about
everyone 18-25 serving 3 months of military service.
But that's why I'm posting this.
What are your thoughts?
Inform me!

I really don't want this to happen.
At first I didn't think it was true, but idk.

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
From what I've been scanning, I can find very little to really support this. For one, three months conscription is retarded from any logical standpoint- you'd never have a decent military filled with 3 mo. conscripts. I've have been reading some stuff about how he think more young people should be in civilian organizations like the Peace Corp, but it seems that the words "mandatory" and "military" would be a gross mischaracterization.

Edit1: Seems to be from people reading into speeches like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daaPCwsevu0

Edit2: Here we go! Sauce: http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129949.html

First: Rahm Emanuel's Book, not Obama's mouth.
Second: "This is not a draft, nor is it military."

It also goes on to talk about what may or may not be Obama's plan (No sauce) but simply because politicians run their mouths does not mean anything actually will happen. He would need Congress to pass laws on this, and it doesn't seem likely that they'd take kindly to that when they're worried about looking worried about the economy.

sa5m
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
That's bogus. There's no way.
We're getting out of the war; why would we need a bigger military now? >.>

Bring Me The Horizon
02-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know much about this whole thing about
everyone 18-25 serving 3 months of military service.
But that's why I'm posting this.
What are your thoughts?
Inform me!

I really don't want this to happen.
At first I didn't think it was true, but idk.
Meh thats not to bad 3 months, but i doubt that would actually happen cause 3 months isnt long enough to even do anything :closedeye

Karel
02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Interesting, Although it hardly gets to me.. as I am not a US citizen.

Three months really.. sounds more like a waste of young people's school time.

Gjallarhorn
02-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Obama's service plan isn't military service. It's community service, and it's targetted at kids in junior highschool and highschool. It's also not "3 months". It's 50 hours in total, at least as it is currently planned. Nothing's been set in stone, so that number good go up or down.

I see absolutely no problem with it. That's 50 less hours highschoolers will spend doing stupid crap.

Sagat
02-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Furthermore, although armies across the world are generally retarded, there is no way any military would invest the time and money into training a soldier, only to use and retain them for three months. There's no way the bean counters would ever allow that.

Second, to be honest, mandatory service isn't that bad an idea in my opinion. I think a lot of people in general need to be "sorted out" and what better method than military service to do so?

But as MP2K and Xero said it's not going to happen, so many can breathe easy and not have to have their feelings hurt by a big mean drill instructor :(

LittleGirl
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
LOL mandatory military service? That's obviously not true.

Anyways, if it's community service, good. In Canada, we have a mandatory 40 hours of community service to do to graduate high school. I don't know if that's anywhere else.

wolfgirl90
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
In both cases, the community service and military service, I would be set. In high school, I did over 500 hours of community service. Community service was required at my school. A student only needed 80 hours (20 hours a year) but I decided to do more (plus 4-H keeps me relatively busy).:p
Also, I am already in the military, so no effect on me:D. That being said, unless you are already in military shape (a lot of people enlist but some are in TERRIBLE shape) and know the chain of command, ranks, drill and code in the branch that you plan to join (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard) PLUS the other branches, there is NO way you are going to learn this in under 3 months (because you need to know this before you can actually have a job).

But hey, if you have to join the armed forces, join the Marines. I know, I should probably recommend the branch that I am in but the Marines have great training (they'll get you in shape in three months, trust me), the best uniforms (except that hideous service uniform) and you get a sword (only the Marine Corps allows NCOs to carry a sword).

Did you hear that? You get to carry a FREAKING sword!! I will not get mine until I graduate.:p
http://www.militarysabers.com/images/88-400-air-force-hi.jpg

Khanxay
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
-Picture of sword-

I think that's the wrong sword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mameluke_sword). But eh. Three and a half years of high school Marine Corps JROTC might have taught me wrong.

Agreed with Xero, 50 hours less stupidity.

Sanosuke23
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Edit2: Here we go! Sauce: http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129949.html

First: Rahm Emanuel's Book, not Obama's mouth.
Second: "This is not a draft, nor is it military."

It also goes on to talk about what may or may not be Obama's plan (No sauce) but simply because politicians run their mouths does not mean anything actually will happen. He would need Congress to pass laws on this, and it doesn't seem likely that they'd take kindly to that when they're worried about looking worried about the economy.

Actually, upon reading that little excerpt I don't see anything wrong with it going through.

I mean, what Emanuel's seems to be saying is "Let's train the citizenry in dealing with emergency situations, and have them help out their community." I don't know about you people, but I'd prefer it if more people knew how to deal with, say, an earthquake or an explosion even if a lot of them will throw that knowledge out the window when under pressure.

Light Buster
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Well our country is in a big mess right now so...I STILL SAY IT'S DUMB.

Gjallarhorn
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Well our country is in a big mess right now so...I STILL SAY IT'S DUMB.

You're right. Our country is in a terrible economic mess, and having kids do things to help their communities instead of sitting around playing Left4Dead is such a horrible idea.

Wio
02-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Uh, when I was in high school I was working Xero. Most of my friends were in the same situation. Who are you talking about?

NorthOfTime
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
In both cases, the community service and military service, I would be set. In high school, I did over 500 hours of community service. Community service was required at my school. A student only needed 80 hours (20 hours a year) but I decided to do more (plus 4-H keeps me relatively busy).:p
Also, I am already in the military, so no effect on me:D. That being said, unless you are already in military shape (a lot of people enlist but some are in TERRIBLE shape) and know the chain of command, ranks, drill and code in the branch that you plan to join (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard) PLUS the other branches, there is NO way you are going to learn this in under 3 months (because you need to know this before you can actually have a job).

But hey, if you have to join the armed forces, join the Marines. I know, I should probably recommend the branch that I am in but the Marines have great training (they'll get you in shape in three months, trust me), the best uniforms (except that hideous service uniform) and you get a sword (only the Marine Corps allows NCOs to carry a sword).

Did you hear that? You get to carry a FREAKING sword!! I will not get mine until I graduate.:p
http://www.militarysabers.com/images/88-400-air-force-hi.jpg
Man this is hard for me to say... but as a US Army personelle who works directly with marines, id have to say no you are not military. You did use correct terminology, but you saying that your getting a Marines NCO Sword straight out of training is a bald face lie. See in the marine corps, its take forever to rank. And to gain an NCO rank out of Basic you would need a Degree of some sort. As you are 18 i highly doubt you have a Degree. Also the sword in your picture is not of a Marines NCO Sword. Here is a marines sword.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/NCO_Sword.JPG

You dont need to know anything about the Military before you join. Granted it does give you an edge in basic, but really they teach you everything you need to know while your there. By the way unless your a Marine your "Boot Camp", as civilians call it, ("Basic" for soldiers. Short for BCT, wich is short for Basic Combat Training.) is less then 3 months. So yes in 3 months you will have learned something about military and something usefull.if your lucky you would have an AIT that is super short as well. i think the idea is for the very reason for people to go through basic, as basic teaches you charater, integrity, selflessness, self service, honor, duty, and respect among other things. These things would define and make a better person wich would define and make a better country on some level.

On that note i do not agree with the idea. i think it would set a fire no one could put out. Its a persons right and freedom in this country not to join the armed forces. Forcing them to would go against the very fabric of our nations code. Not that anything else isnt doing it though. But i think if this were pushed and enforced, it would start riots and things that would star tother things, that would start other things wich would start the last thing, which would eb the one thing that ends us. i dont know that those thigns are, but im pretty sure it could happen. but a lot could happen.

By the way i prefer the Marines service uniform over our ACU's. i think the ACU's are to bright. Place these damn things wear out way to fast.

If im wrong about you lying, then i truly apologize. but i guess i wouldnt know if you were until i saw proof. Which in my eyes would come in the form of a picture. I have my proof if you want to know.. www.myspace.com/broly3k8 (http://www.myspace.com/broly3k8)
yea yea yea i know that could be anyones myspace. But i trully asure you its not anyone elses but mine. And no there are no pictures of my wife up yet for those who want to know.

I think that's the wrong sword. But eh. Three and a half years of high school Marine Corps JROTC might have taught me wrong.

Agreed with Xero, 50 hours less stupidity.

ohh and thats an Marine Officers Sword. Thats an NCO Sword. I dont know if you know but NCO's and Officers are two very different things/people.

Eris
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
If I remember correctly, exactly the same rumor was around when Bush was elected. There is only so many times you get to cry wolf.

wolfgirl90
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Man this is hard for me to say... but as a US Army personelle who works directly with marines, id have to say no you are not military. You did use correct terminology, but you saying that your getting a Marines NCO Sword straight out of training is a bald face lie. See in the marine corps, its take forever to rank. And to gain an NCO rank out of Basic you would need a Degree of some sort. As you are 18 i highly doubt you have a Degree. Also the sword in your picture is not of a Marines NCO Sword. Here is a marines sword.

Believe me, I know. Sorry for that. Maybe I should have been more specific...

The sword I posted was an Air Force officer sword (the sword from the Air Force Academy is the same type of sword except the etching is different). I will not become an officer until I graduate (which is what I said in my post).

And I apologize. I know how NCO rankings work in the Marines; I didn't mean to sound like a flat out liar. I was just trying to be funny. There was once a joke between me and a few of my other (older) friends asking which would come first: my graduation and commission or his promotion to an NCO.:p

I think there is a lot of stuff that a person can learn while in the military. For me, I gained a lot from the Air Force (despite my time being slightly less than 2 years) that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. However, not everyone is cut out for it and I don't think anyone should be forced to do it.