PDA

View Full Version : DELETE or BACKSPACE

DOOM!
01-31-2009, 05:14 PM
The two keys are so distant, and yet, have such similar functions, I think many people limit themselve to only using one of them.
I allways thought Backspace was only for beginners, as I tought some guy hOW2InteRneT a few hours ago, to use the backspace. But I only use the Delete key.
Which do you?

Eris
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I use Backspace, or the all mighty Ctrl+Backspace as the One True Means Of Removing Text™. Delete is so far away from the letters, and to reach it I have to remove my fingers from the home row, which means I'd type less effectively. I occasionally use it, but it is extremely rare.

Dr. Hax
01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
The two keys are so distant, and yet, have such similar functions, I think many people limit themselve to only using one of them.
I allways thought Backspace was only for beginners, as I tought some guy hOW2InteRneT a few hours ago, to use the backspace. But I only use the Delete key.
Which do you?

I say "[censored] it..." and click on the little red box in the top right corner of the screen while thinking, Should I have just pressed backspace for a bit instead?

Serious note: I do use backspace...It's right there in front of me. I have to look a little more to the right for delete which is a pain for my eyes.

Diocletian
01-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Highlight THEN backspace. I do sever errors when I make them.

Eris
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Highlight THEN backspace. I do sever errors when I make them.

Why not just highlight and type what you want to replace the highlighted section with?

Diocletian
01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Why not just highlight and type what you want to replace the highlighted section with?

That button gives me a sick thrill.

Manhattan_Project_2000
01-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Backspace almost always. On this laptop the Delete key is only 1.5 mm x 1 mm anyway.

DOOM!
01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
But Ctrl+Bksp deletes a whole word, and I'm not in for re-typing the word, I usually only correct misspelled words. And yes, when I highlit, the Del key gives me a thrill. But this laptop I'm currently on, kills all my joys.

Mango
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Depends where I end up clicking. If the cursor ends up to the left left of what I want to delete, I use Delete, whereas if it ends up to the right of what I want to delete I use Backspace. If I'm deleting an entire section, I alternate between the two.

I'm unpredictable like that.

Edit: Wow, I just learned about ctrl + backspace from you guys just now. That's... quite shameful.

Princely Dreaming Doll
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
My delete key isn't as large as the backspace key.
And my fingers can't reach the tinier buttons very well.

Srk
01-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, on my Mac, the Delete key IS the Backspace key, so... Usually, though, I just press and hold the Backspace.

DOOM!
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
You think Ctr+Backspace is something new, try smacking the Shift key 5 times (don't get intimidated by the loud sound).
Also, Backspace to me is like the "wrong gear", i'm allways looking forward...to...

None of the above
01-31-2009, 05:52 PM
While typing, I hold my thumbs near the Space-button, if they're not floating above it. It also happens that Space is just 2 keys away from delete (on the same row). The backspace-key is sadly reachable just with the ring/little finger, what involves mooving my hand in the upper direction, so in order to not have to switch my hand position, I use mostly Delete.

Balance
01-31-2009, 05:52 PM
I use Backspace, or the all mighty Ctrl+Backspace as the One True Means Of Removing Text™. Delete is so far away from the letters, and to reach it I have to remove my fingers from the home row, which means I'd type less effectively. I occasionally use it, but it is extremely rare.
For once, another person who uses the ctrl+backspace as frequently as I do.
That's basically how it is for me as well.
I type from the homerow and I don't wanna spend just an extra second looking for the delete button and then deleting whatever.

But Ctrl+Bksp deletes a whole word, and I'm not in for re-typing the word, I usually only correct misspelled words. And yes, when I highlit, the Del key gives me a thrill. But this laptop I'm currently on, kills all my joys.
Normally, for me, it takes longer to constantly hit backspace and then finish the word from there. I can type pretty fast, so re-typing a word is not much of a problem.
And whenever I highlight, its usually done with ctrl+shift+ arrow key.
The ctrl button has helped me a lot during my years of typing~

You think Ctr+Backspace is something new, try smacking the Shift key 5 times (don't get intimidated by the loud sound).
Also, Backspace to me is like the "wrong gear", i'm allways looking forward...to...
You can also uncheck the setting to deactivate the shortcut to activating sticky keys.

Eris
01-31-2009, 05:57 PM
While typing, I hold my thumbs near the Space-button, if they're not floating above it. It also happens that Space is just 2 keys away from delete (on the same row). The backspace-key is sadly reachable just with the ring/little finger, what involves mooving my hand in the upper direction, so in order to not have to switch my hand position, I use mostly Delete.

What outlandish form of keyboard are you using?! It is not natural, I tell you! You are meddling with things that art not to be meddled with!

How does that work again? Usually one deletes what one has typed, which is backwards.

suzumi
01-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Backspace.

I can't reach delete easily cause my hands are small. ^^;

None of the above
01-31-2009, 06:04 PM
What outlandish form of keyboard are you using?! It is not natural, I tell you! You are meddling with things that art not to be meddled with!

It's the Jap-way! Toshiba.

This it is approximately, not entirely the same model/keyboard:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/65980cb8c0.jpg.

Balance
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
I find that to be quite odd.
I'd probably hate it since it'd make the whole typing system feel out of place for me.

Eris
01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Layouts like that send shivers up my spine. It's not natural, I tell you, not natural! If God intended us to use anything other than standard 101/104 Key QWERTY keyboards, HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN US SMALLER HANDS WITH FEWER FINGERS!

DOOM!
01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
You can also uncheck the setting to deactivate the shortcut to activating sticky keys.
No thanks, my keyboard is pretty clean, I'm not that kind of guy. Plus, I love doing it regularly, the... ahem, loud Beep is like a nerve-breaker.

How does that work again? Usually one deletes what one has typed, which is backwards.
Like Lynch said: It's more complicated than that.

None of the above
01-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Layouts like that send shivers up my spine. It's not natural, I tell you, not natural! If God intended us to use anything other than standard 101/104 Key QWERTY keyboards, HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN US SMALLER HANDS WITH FEWER FINGERS!

And I'm having problems typing with QWERTZ. Pffft. Also the "-key is actually the @-one. And many other little things alike. It's deceiving, I tell you. You need to know it, before trusting it. So, it adds up, smaller hands with more possibilities of error.

Miss Moonlight
01-31-2009, 06:19 PM
It depends.

If I made a small mistake, I usually use the backspace key. Only a few times do I use the delete key.

-Kitsune-
01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Usually backspace since it's closer to the letter keys. Also, when I try to hit Delete I usually end up hitting Insert or Page Down a couple times before I hit the right key >>;

BestFly
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I use backspace for the sheer reason that it's HUGE I mean the delete button is so small, but the backspace button is like the size of 2 of them. The back space button is also positioned at an easier access point.

Mega Man Zero
01-31-2009, 08:16 PM
For me it's just simple to use backspace. That's it.

Perpetual Specter
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
I use both actually, everyday. I tend to use Backspace for going back a few words or something and highlight text + Delete when it's a small paragraph or bigger. I could use Backspace for both, but it's just a habit I suppose.

kamaaina ^_^
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
i use the back space more often, it also depends on the keyboard. smaller keyboards i use the delete button. thought you should know n_n

rikumi
02-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Backspace normally, if the tag/sentence is too long then I'd press shift + home then delete.

Both are quite handy.

Variados
02-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Weird question.. I just use backspace.. easy.

Gizoku
02-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Usually the delete key when I highlight sentences or long words.
Backspace with small words.

jnLL
02-01-2009, 04:14 AM
If my hands are quite fixed on the keyboard, when typing long sentences, I use Backspace. Highlight + Backspace, sometimes. But if I'm not typing and I need to remove something, I tend to use the Delete key all the time.

wowzabunny
02-01-2009, 07:09 AM
backspace and exit are similar but dont always do the same things.
i use both

iGiraffe
02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I ususally just use the backspace key since it's closer to the letter keys on my keyboard. I might use delete to switch it up a little.

blueangel06661
02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I use backspace since

1] My fingers just automatically go there without me even thinking about it >.<

2] The delete key does not erase automatically, you have to go through the trouble to highlight. >.>

3] The delete key is also way out of the way.. just below the period button... My fingers don't bend much farther than than to hit the period key >.>

.Lovebeat
02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I use both depending on the placement of the letter which I want to delete(lol what a pun) is?

Baka
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I use both equally.

Light Buster
02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
The DELETE key deletes the letter in front of the cursor while the BACKSPACE deletes the letter in the back. So both.

Exquiro
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Backspace, save for the occsaional thing like... clearing private data... >.> And what hecticmaniac said.

DOOM!
02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
You can't just use both. Thinking which is most appropriate to use takes the time you need to press it, if not longer, there has to be one you automatically use.
Put it this way: suppose you're typing your address, which is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!, then realize you put too many As, and your cursor gets right in the middle of it, now you have to cut down three As, but which button does your finger jump to?

Lenks
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Backspace, usually. Sometimes I'll use the delete key, but it's very rare.

DynastyxFell
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
The backspace and the delete key are the same size on my keyboard, but the backspace is much closer so I usually use that. The only time I use delete is if the marker is at the front of the word, but that rarely happens.

Hanamaru Kunikida
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
I always use the backspace because it's the most comfortable way for me to delete.

OminousCloud
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I use backspace for editing blocks of text and delete for editing forms. I don't know why, it's just how I roll.

Megamind's Minion
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
depends on what part of the paragraph or sentence i am deleting...
for words before i use backspace...
for words after the delete...
when i'm editing...
commonly.. backspace would do...

October.
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
i use the back-space more...
delete button..i use it rarely..

Rosedoll
02-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Always, always backspace. (highlight+backspace)

The delete button is so out of the way that I don't see the point of using it when the other is closer, especially considering they both achieve the same thing.

Eikoseisui
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I use backspace more since it's closer to the letters. However, if I highlight a whole paragraph or sentence, I prefer to use the delete key.

Cancre
02-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I always press back space , it's automatic.