PDA

View Full Version : Wallpapering Newbies

lyf_deth
11-11-2003, 08:38 PM
:blink: Everyone, I need some help. I have a lot of questions about making anime wallpapers. Do you have to have a certain program. If so what program and where can I find it. I am having so many problems! I need help so bad. I would be so grateful if someone could point me in the right direction! (Please excuse any spelling errors, hehe, I am just having a really bad day). :unsure:

Tal
11-11-2003, 08:47 PM
i cant count how many times this was asked

photoshop is the weapon of choice for most

get it, learn it, apply it

lyf_deth
11-11-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Tal@Nov 11 2003, 08:41 PM
i cant count how many times this was asked

photoshop is the weapon of choice for most

get it, learn it, apply it
Do I download this or do I buy it somewhere? (Sorry to bother you). :huh:

Gestahr
11-11-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm going to answer this before someone says "Oh, you can download it from KaZaA/eDonkey/eMule/WinMX/etc." and the flame war starts anew. Buy it. It's pricey, but it's worth it. If you want a cheaper alternative, check out Paint Shop Pro. I don't use it myself, but I know a few professionals that like it more than Photoshop. If you want a free alternative, check out IrfanView. Google any of these and you should get plenty of info on them, as well as how to obtain them.

escaflownemoon
11-11-2003, 09:39 PM
or if you know a really really good friend of yours who would glady let you borrow it. (I wouldn't want you to copy it shhhhh!!! )It's against the law!

_hades the wicked
11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
I think Pooky should make a pinned thread saying this... I bet everyone is tired of saying it over and over and over and over and over again...
Photoshop is a good alternative
Paintshop Pro is said to be good, but I didn't like it when I used it
GIMP is a free program for image editting... Didn't use much it, but it looks very... Odd...

MistressPookyChan
11-11-2003, 09:57 PM
topic pined; good idea. ^-^

A lot of people also use illustrator. not a bad program, especially for the backgrounds.

Please do not discuss illegal downloading activities in the public forum. Don't need AW.com or AG.com getting in trouble. Thanks!

kadaan
11-12-2003, 01:15 AM
The Gimp is by far the most powerful free graphics program out there. It's open source and made primarily for linux, so the interface isn't as "pretty" as photoshop and the installer is more than just a single file you double-click to install.

The windows version is available from http://www.gimp.org/win32/. There are some screenshots there of it in action as well.

lyf_deth
11-12-2003, 06:07 PM
OK! You guys are awsome! :rolleyes: but uuuh.... hehe. What are scans, and how do you go about making the wallpapers. You guys seem to no so much about this. I've never actually seen anybody make a wallpaper and my friends aren't really into that kind of thing.

kadaan
11-12-2003, 06:46 PM
The first step is to find a good image (aka source image). It takes lots of searching to find that "perfect" image that speaks to you saying "Make a wallpaper with me!". In selecting an image it's very helpful to find a high quality one. the majority of bad wallpapers are bad because the image they use isn't high quality. It's possible to retouch a screencap or low quality image, but it's extremely time-consuming and difficult (aviod it if possible).

The second step is extracting the image. Zoom in as much as possible and go along the edges of the main character with the eraser tool to get rid of the background. This is the most difficult step, but it's easy to tell when extraction is rushed.

Third step: create a background image. There are thousands of ways to make one, and this is what makes wallpapers unique. You can have a hundred wallpapers with the same source image that are unique because of their background. Look at wallpapers you like and try and examine their backgrounds to find out what you like in a background, then reproduce it in your own style.

Next it's a good idea to play around with different color schemes for the background to find out which one complements the main image. Don't just dismiss it because you _think_ it won't work. Try it. You'll be surprised.

The final step is optional, but highly recommended. Post your wallpaper here for critique to see what other people think about it. Some people will outright say "It rocks!" or "It sucks!", but some will tell you exactly what they like/dislike about it and these are the comments that help out tremendously. They tell you what areas of your technique still need some work, and which ones you're doing good in. In either case, you'll always have something to learn and improve from.

Some tips I've found out from personal experience:
1. Stay away from the lens-flare filter. It looks cool at first, but is overused and actually looks corny.
2. Same goes for the cloud filter for the background. However feel free to use the cloud background then apply filters on it to change it (LOTS of backgrounds use the cloud filter with various filters applied on it).
3. http://random.cynicallyinsane.net/ has EXTREMELY high quality scans, but unfortunately only a couple dozen images at any given time.
4. Text... always go for as little text as possible. Try to do something artistic with it other than just applying multiple filters with default settings.
5. People _will_ say your wallpaper sucks. Don't take offense, but rather find out how to improve.
6. HAVE FUN! If you're not having fun, you're boring and your wallpaper will suck! ^_^
7. Have more fun! (because fun stuff is good)

Daenerys
11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Actually, I highly suggest just getting PSP, sure there's things you can't do in it easily that you can DO easily in Adobe, but it's cheaper, easier to run, and all the brushes at etc for Adobe work in PSP.

And the last time I said that, someone said there was no way to duplicate glowing text with PSP, so before anyone bothers, it's not that hard to duplicate, it just doesn't look as precise(Sp?) as it would with adobe.

lyf_deth
11-13-2003, 07:57 PM
OK. I feel stupid now. What is PSP and Adobe?

Tal
11-13-2003, 08:30 PM
adobe = industry leader in graphic design, they make photoshop

psp = paint shop pro ( not by adobe )

www.projectzen.com is great but its down for a bit.

cyn's gallery over at http://random.cynicallyinsane.net is nice

she uploads a lot of scans, shes great ^^

and well if you want to learn how to make great looking walls

look at other walls that blow your mind and try to imitate, try to look at other walls to get an idea and you'll be surprised how fast you can learn :D

Daenerys
11-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Adobe isn't the industry leader, but whatever.

You can find the trial versions at www.download.com

Tal
11-14-2003, 07:36 PM
uh yea it is

adobe is the standard for graphics

macromedia is the standard for authoring

it wouldn't be if it wasn't the best

Gestahr
11-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Adobe isn't the standard for graphics, Adobe is a company that makes software. Photoshop is the industry standard for photo manipulation, Illustrator is the industry standard for vector tools. By the by, just because something becomes "the standard", that doesn't mean it's the best, that just means that it's the most widely used.

Tal
11-14-2003, 07:46 PM
sorry i mean "industry leader" not the "best"

they make the standard software used at all major studios worldwide for raster and vector graphics

Gestahr
11-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Don't make sweeping generalizations; unless you've actually visited every "major" studio in the world that does raster and vector stuff and seen that they use Adobe products, don't say that they do. Adobe makes decent software, but they aren't the be all end all of graphic work. They still have a thing or two or twenty to learn about designing an interface.

w00tazn
11-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Photoshop IS the industry standard
Illustrator IS also the industry standard

Adobe IS the industry standard in creating the programs.

Gestahr
11-14-2003, 08:57 PM
stan·dard n.
5. Something, such as a practice or a product, that is widely recognized or employed, especially because of its excellence.

Stop throwing words around. The definition for standard as it pertains to this conversation is right there.

Bantam
11-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Nov 14 2003, 08:51 PM
stan·dard n.
5. Something, such as a practice or a product, that is widely recognized or employed, especially because of its excellence.

Stop throwing words around. The definition for standard as it pertains to this conversation is right there.
Find me a respectable company that uses PSP and I'll quit the internet in shame :D

Gestahr
11-14-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm amazed at everyone's selective reading skills. If you actually read things before typing in a fervor, you'd notice that the person who posted above me stated "Adobe IS the industry standard in creating the programs." Considering that Adobe is not a practice, nor is it a product, they can't be the standard. Are they the industry leaders in the creation of graphics software? I don't know, I haven't seen the numbers. Some of you people, however, might want to consider dropping your tablets and heading back to English 101 for a bit.

As for companies that use PSP, I know a number of professionals that have been in the industry longer than you've been alive that use it solely because they like the interface better. So what if PSP doesn't have all of the bells and whistles Photoshop does? Not everyone uses photo manipulation software so they can hit images with a flurry of filters and call it art. :rolleyes:

w00tazn
11-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Widely recognized or employed as a model of authority or excellence: a standard reference work.

what about that definition?? where does it say practice or product??

and does it matter if i use correct grammer or not?? what if im am not from america??? hUH ?? what about that?

Technically "Adobe" can be deemed as the industry "standard" almost all of their products are what standardize the industry.

Bantam
11-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Nov 14 2003, 09:19 PM
I'm amazed at everyone's selective reading skills. If you actually read things before typing in a fervor, you'd notice that the person who posted above me stated "Adobe IS the industry standard in creating the programs." Considering that Adobe is not a practice, nor is it a product, they can't be the standard. Are they the industry leaders in the creation of graphics software? I don't know, I haven't seen the numbers. Some of you people, however, might want to consider dropping your tablets and heading back to English 101 for a bit.

As for companies that use PSP, I know a number of professionals that have been in the industry longer than you've been alive that use it solely because they like the interface better. So what if PSP doesn't have all of the bells and whistles Photoshop does? Not everyone uses photo manipulation software so they can hit images with a flurry of filters and call it art. :rolleyes:
Sigh, listen. I really dont care about you searching out errors in posts, what you do in your own time is up to you. Photoshop is considered the industry standard in photo magiculation worldwide, you put a cd with PSP and one with PS, which one do you think they would choose?

I've used both, take a look at my work, I think you'll be able to see which one I use. Perhaps after that you might want to pop in to Social Behavior 101 and get along with people you dont really know.

w00tazn
11-14-2003, 09:48 PM
you assumed that we are all very proficient in english...
you assumed that we all use tablets....
you assumed that we gradutated from college...
you assumed that we only use filters in our wallpapers...
you assumed that we call our wallpapers "art"
you assumed that your # of professionals that you know use PSP is greater than the # of professionals I know that use Photoshop.

now let my photoshop professionals and me alone. thank you. good day.

Candy-StarR
11-14-2003, 09:51 PM
OMG! I can't believe you're all fighting over if Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop is better!
OKOK... some people like Paint Shop Pro better and others like Paintshop better
It's just a matter of opinion.
It doesn't matter how many people use the programs

GET OVER IT!!!

Gestahr
11-14-2003, 09:52 PM
For those who can't use grammar properly. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764553224/qid=1068863519/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8878762-5092104?v=glance&s=books)
For those who don't know the proper meanings of words. (http://dictionary.reference.com/)

The errors, by the by, are signifigant when they affect the core of the argument. The entire argument started because someone said "Adobe is the industry leader" or something akin to that, and they were corrected. Then someone said "adobe is the standard for graphics", and the sweeping generalizations began. If you're going to use a message board and argue intelligently, you need to learn to frigging check your grammar and word choice.

Bantam
11-14-2003, 10:05 PM
Put down your dictionary and go outside (http://forums.devshed.com/archive/26/2002/10/3/44393) :D

genericanimeforumfan
11-14-2003, 10:26 PM
omg wutz wif teh dramam?lmao liek candye satr siad, itz al opoin and choisez. rofl, calme dwon evry1

The Great Conspiracy
11-16-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Candy-StarR@Nov 14 2003, 10:45 PM
OMG! I can't believe you're all fighting over if Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop is better!
OKOK... some people like Paint Shop Pro better and others like Paintshop better
It's just a matter of opinion.
It doesn't matter how many people use the programs
I agree.

This forum ain't the place for such pointless argues. I someone needs help, I suggest you try to help him, or at least don't confuse him/her with stuff like that.

now the helpful part of this post (hopefully):

The previous posts point to a lot of useful programs. Each of it has it's own unique features and weaknesses and it's possible to create a great wallpaper with every single one. It's usually a very long and time-consuming process to find out which software suits your own needs best. If you found some programs to work with, stick to them and try to improve.

And if someone ever tells you that your favourite software is crap ... just don't care.

_hades the wicked
11-16-2003, 10:37 AM
OK, why don't you all shut the badword up about which one is best?
I know someone who can make really cool things with PSP, and I know others who can make cool things with PS... It's all a matter of which one you're familliarized with and which one you like better...
Can't you people see? Someone came asking for advice on how to make wallpapers, and you get on a fight about what is best? Oh please...

Now back on topic. If you got the money, you could try Photoshop or Paintshop Pro... Get a trial version of each to see which one you get better familiarized with...
If you haven't got the money (or aren't willing to spend too much), you could try GIMP or any other freeware graphics software... You can find them if you do a good search for graphics software or something like that on download.com or even google.

Iapetus
11-16-2003, 03:10 PM
For some people, it isn't a matter of which one is better or not, it is a matter of which one they know the best.

When I took my Digital Imaging class, I learned through Paint Shop Pro. I got the Seventh Edition for Christmas, and have been using it ever since. I sometimes wish I could do some of the effects that others do on Photoshop, but I take it as more of a challenge. It all depends on what you learned on, or what you are comfortable with, or what you can afford. I have a friend who makes some awesome stuff on MS Paint. :D

For ideas on wallpaper making, look for tutorials for the program you are using. Sometimes, you can manipulate a technique into something completely different. Also, just fool around with stuff that has nothing to do with an anime wallpaper. Just play with settings on some random picture, and enjoy the results. Experimentation is your best friend in wallpaper making.

-Iapetus

WinterC_16
11-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Photo Impression 4?

ownerizer
11-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by w00tazn@Nov 14 2003, 10:42 PM
you assumed that we are all very proficient in english...
you assumed that we all use tablets....
you assumed that we gradutated from college...
you assumed that we only use filters in our wallpapers...
you assumed that we call our wallpapers "art"
you assumed that your # of professionals that you know use PSP is greater than the # of professionals I know that use Photoshop.

now let my photoshop professionals and me alone. thank you. good day.
this is coming from someone who's username is w00tazn. I think you need to stop talking.

WinterC_16
11-25-2003, 08:10 PM
so the better one is which ever one a person prefers?
I need new software, i think i'm gonna go 4 the adobe

Gestahr
11-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Yes, the better one is whichever you prefer or whichever best suits your needs.

jumomo
11-26-2003, 07:23 PM
i can only say again ... forget adobe ... ulead is much better for me ... i cant imagine how you guys can work with adobe...

WinterC_16
11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
i don&#39;t i work with adobe ps, i use photo imperssion 4, <_<
or psp, so both r better to me,
Its is a step up from microsoft paint, just a step, ^_^

LavaBug
11-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Isn´t it totally unimportant what program one uses as
long as the result is all right ?

jumomo
11-27-2003, 08:20 AM
yes thats right

Candy-chan
11-27-2003, 07:07 PM
by the way,i tried to send some wallpapies but the adress [email protected] doesnt work

wizz-o-matic
11-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Candy&#045;chan@Nov 28 2003, 02:01 AM
by the way,i tried to send some wallpapies but the adress [email protected] doesnt work
The submitting goes on this forum but u must wait that Pooky opens a new topic on submitting wallpapers.

Candy-chan
11-28-2003, 09:35 PM
then why does that adress exist?

_hades the wicked
11-30-2003, 01:37 AM
You can submit there too... But then you&#39;d like to pray for your wallpaper to get there... Or not... If it&#39;s not too good they&#39;ll most likely put it up there if you send through there, but if it is, you will have to pray a lot...

MistressPookyChan
12-05-2003, 02:50 PM
I shall explain the submission process&#33;

animewallpapers.com is made up of 3 main workers:
-pmak: admin/owner/AW.com gawd
-Jupe: second-in-command, email reader, submitts wallpapers
-MistressPooky: forum moderator, submitts wallpapers

There are now two ways to submit wallpapers&#33; Before you could only submit through the email. Now, due to a very active, dependable moderator and a lively forum, submissions can be made through the forum. To keep order (and to keep the mod from losing her mind&#33;) submissions are open once or twice a month for a couple weeks. Generally, it is easier to get your wallpaper onto the site the first time and quickly by submitting through the forum.

(I do not know Jupe well, so I will not speak for them) Pmak and I are both college students; pmak in PhD program and myself a college senior. With this in mind, both of us are very busy. If you can&#39;t contact us (though I&#39;m pretty good at checking messages) or if we are a bit slow, please be understanding. We still love you all&#33;&#33;

If you ever have any questions about or issues with AW.com itself, you can either contact pmak or talk to me and I can pass the message on to him. Just remember, I&#39;m not a full admin so I can&#39;t always do everything on the site.

I hope that helps answer questions&#33; :D

Kazumanomiko
12-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by kadaan@Nov 12 2003, 06:40 PM
The first step is to find a good image (aka source image). It takes lots of searching to find that "perfect" image that speaks to you saying "Make a wallpaper with me&#33;". In selecting an image it&#39;s very helpful to find a high quality one. the majority of bad wallpapers are bad because the image they use isn&#39;t high quality. It&#39;s possible to retouch a screencap or low quality image, but it&#39;s extremely time-consuming and difficult (aviod it if possible).

The second step is extracting the image. Zoom in as much as possible and go along the edges of the main character with the eraser tool to get rid of the background. This is the most difficult step, but it&#39;s easy to tell when extraction is rushed.

Third step: create a background image. There are thousands of ways to make one, and this is what makes wallpapers unique. You can have a hundred wallpapers with the same source image that are unique because of their background. Look at wallpapers you like and try and examine their backgrounds to find out what you like in a background, then reproduce it in your own style.

Next it&#39;s a good idea to play around with different color schemes for the background to find out which one complements the main image. Don&#39;t just dismiss it because you _think_ it won&#39;t work. Try it. You&#39;ll be surprised.

The final step is optional, but highly recommended. Post your wallpaper here for critique to see what other people think about it. Some people will outright say "It rocks&#33;" or "It sucks&#33;", but some will tell you exactly what they like/dislike about it and these are the comments that help out tremendously. They tell you what areas of your technique still need some work, and which ones you&#39;re doing good in. In either case, you&#39;ll always have something to learn and improve from.

Some tips I&#39;ve found out from personal experience:
1. Stay away from the lens-flare filter. It looks cool at first, but is overused and actually looks corny.
2. Same goes for the cloud filter for the background. However feel free to use the cloud background then apply filters on it to change it (LOTS of backgrounds use the cloud filter with various filters applied on it).
3. http://random.cynicallyinsane.net/ has EXTREMELY high quality scans, but unfortunately only a couple dozen images at any given time.
4. Text... always go for as little text as possible. Try to do something artistic with it other than just applying multiple filters with default settings.
5. People _will_ say your wallpaper sucks. Don&#39;t take offense, but rather find out how to improve.
6. HAVE FUN&#33; If you&#39;re not having fun, you&#39;re boring and your wallpaper will suck&#33; ^_^
7. Have more fun&#33; (because fun stuff is good)
Thanks :) Now I know what to do when I want to make a wallpaper. ^_^

*sniff*MyBabe'sGone
12-19-2003, 06:20 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

cutie_princzzez
12-21-2003, 05:26 PM
hi im new B)

Alucard
12-23-2003, 03:33 PM
Where do you take the character who are in the wallpaper ?

Do you find it on some website and then erase all the background except the character and then copy it to your own background ?? :huh:

Candy-chan
12-23-2003, 06:47 PM
i know i should mind my busness but Alucard, you shouldnt post one question on 2 diff threads and cutie_princzzez, you should introduce yourcelf on the introduction thread and not post an unusefull post and *snif*mybaby&#39;sgone, dont spam please

i know i know its the mods job to say all of that but i just couldnt resist the temptation(sorry for the bad english, im not in the correcting-myself mood this time)
i and just have a question for kazumanomiko, i really dont understand the importance of your last post here, its really bugging my mind, whats happening in your head?i dont mean to be mean (really) but i dont understand....anyway, its no big deal, i mean dont get upset anyone)

Selena_Wolf
12-28-2003, 01:31 AM
I could use some help with making a good wallpaper in PSP.

Eyerate
12-28-2003, 08:06 AM
I agree with most of the non-flame posts in this thread. Ive worked with alot of amazingly talented graffik artists and webdesigners in the past year and i have a thing or 2 to add to this thread. kadaan was 100% correct when he stated that extraction is one of the most important processes in any graffiks(i prefer this sp ^^) creation. He did however neglect to mention one thing. Extraction is much easier than running an eraser around the edges of your base image. All version of photoshop since 5.5 have an extraction feature built in which can be accesed by the hotkey cntrl+alt+x. Basically you outline the image sections you want to keep(smart highlighting on well definied areas such as light areas on dark bgs, and toggle the brush size with the [ and ] keys) and fill the inside. This will leave you with a nice base cutout. Then use the history brush and the eraser to touch up the edges. It is much more convienient than doing it all manually and trust me, your mouse hand and eyes will thank you.
Also, every one of the programs mentioned in this thread are GOOD programs. However, if you feel a little inventive and have some extra time on your hands(and ALOT of ram and cpu power), I would definitely recommend toying around with 3D Studio Max 5. Its an extremely powerful modeling program with a very nifty texture import feature. Its very very pricey at around 2500&#036; but im sure if you really want it you can find a way. Actually a little factoid about 3dsmax5 is that its used by pixar studios to create most of the movies(disneys toy story among others) they do. A cheaper alternative is BRYCE 3D Studio. Its not as powerful or user friendly as 3DSMax but it definitely can create some amazing things with the right person behind the monitor. Again both of these are for the ADVANCED graphical end user so i dont recommend this to newbies.
On a sort of sidetrack if your feeling inventive i recommend toying around with Ulead Gif Animator 5. Its a pretty powerful gif based animation suite thats alot of fun to work with and is easy on the cpu cycles, ram, and wallet(about 40&#036;). Its very user friendly and doesnt really take to much time to learn. Ive learned its best if you create your base images in *insert image editing program here*(i prefer p&#39;shop) and import them into the suite. Ive attached a small gif that i did as an aim icon just to show a tiny example. If you would like to see more you can IM me via AIM s/n: SCnGPhantasy.
Good luck in all your graphic endeavors.

-Eye

DeadlySin
12-31-2003, 03:32 PM
wow, thats really helpful eyerate. im sure it will assist me when um.. i move one to advanced WP&#39;s ;)
btw. im new to these boards, i often just browse through as a guest.
umm i followed the advice of kadaan and i tried making a wallpaper for Shaman king. and well. here it is :unsure: :

Kelvin Wenas
01-11-2004, 01:36 AM
:huh:

we can&#39;t say that "this program is the best", or "that program is the best", it depends on yourself, which one do u use most.

even if you have the program which a lot of people said that this is the best program, but you cant use it, or dont know how to use it, it is useless

but even if a lot of people said that that program is bad, but you can use it well, you can use its functions to its maximum

eventhough it depends on the user itself, but you can&#39;t expect a "ms paint&#39;s picture" to be compared with "adobe, ulead, psp pictures" the gap is too large, but what adobe, ulead, psp can do is almost the same, whatever you use it you can make a good wallpaper, now its only depends on the user&#39;s skill.

if you want to advance to a better level, like Eyerate said, try to use 3d studio max, or Maya, or else, I dont know how the others use it, but i only use it to make a background to something that are "mecha-like" "techno-like"

wallpapering in my way is..

1) search for the picture, it is recommended to have picture with high quality, or larger pixels, with full part of it(see the pics below
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/untitledsss2.jpg->http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/untitledsss.jpg
The Pic I found, the hair is cropped, we can try to edit it, and draw by ourself, or just copy from the other part of the image, that can be pasted to recreate the part which is lost, in the example, i draw by myself, but avoid this

2) and so... so... is the same as kadaan

gadgetgirl16
01-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by DeadlySin@Dec 31 2003, 03:32 PM
wow, thats really helpful eyerate. im sure it will assist me when um.. i move one to advanced WP&#39;s ;)
btw. im new to these boards, i often just browse through as a guest.
umm i followed the advice of kadaan and i tried making a wallpaper for Shaman king. and well. here it is :unsure: :
WOW o.O that is verry GOOD, Deadlysin..........but one qustion for u all, is a wallpaper surpose to be by pixles sizes? i allways wonder about that..........the wallpaper needs to fit in the screen..........but ive seen wallpapers that are in different sizes that where called wallpapers...........but do they have to be pixle sizes?

MistressPookyChan
01-24-2004, 09:39 PM
gadget, wallpapers do come in a variety of sizes to fit various screen resolution. The most popular right now is 1024x768 (pixels). They are said in pixels so that wallpaper makers can get the right size for the monitor.

Keiko_Umi_Chan
01-25-2004, 03:46 PM
How do you find a wallpaper for the image you want when you&#39;re making a wallpaper? (Sorry if I&#39;m not making sense.......) I mean, you select an image, where or how do you find a background for that image so you can create a wallpaper for it? :D

Keiko

Kelvin Wenas
01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
using other image, or create it

MistressPookyChan
01-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Kelvin is correct&#33; the backgrounds you see in the wallpapers are created. they are usually made with a program like photoshop or paint shop pro. If you are curious about how someone made a background, just ask them&#33; most wallpaper artists (and for sure the ones at this message board&#33;) are very friendly and willing to give you a little hint. However, the best way to learn is to experiment.

EternalBlue
01-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Yea playing around is fun ^^. Crazy, I was toying around with filters and I figured out how to do a warp effect. Then I saw Wizzards that he posted on AG.net and I was like WHOA I just did that :blink: lol. Just toy around, see how things work out for you ^^

wizz-o-matic
01-26-2004, 05:28 AM
That&#39;s what I always say. U need to play around, just play and have fun :D and eventualy something may come up.

Kelvin Wenas
01-26-2004, 09:19 AM
and a few tips or tricks, maybe if you need it

Annihilate everything that get in your way

if you have a picture like this
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train001.jpg
and you feel it is disturbing, lets clear it

phase 1, create new empty layer over the picture

phase 2, select lasso tool (either lasso tool or polygonal one or else is ok)
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train003.jpg

phase 3, re generate the line that lost
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train004.jpg

phase 4, select the color of the line
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train006.jpg

phase 5, select the brush tool
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train005.jpg

phase 6, brush the selected area until you feel the color matched with the original line
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train007.jpg

phase 7, do that with the other parts

and you are finished, without that annoying object
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/yuntet/train008.jpg
now try yourself

Keiko_Umi_Chan
01-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Awesome&#33; Thank you guys sooo much&#33; Any tips on how to make the background? Like how to make all those designs. Anyways, I appreaciate all the good tips you all gave to me&#33; They were extremely helpful, and to any artists of the wallpapers in anime wallpapers, I must say they rock&#33; I mean it&#33; They&#39;re really cool&#33; Again, I thank you&#33;

Pfc_Friel
01-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Hooah

lot and lots of info
this will be very very helpful

Snipe_EX
01-31-2004, 06:26 AM
man

you guys a really arguing while i was gone

MistressPookyChan
01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
no spamming please, snipe. thanks

Snipe_EX
01-31-2004, 01:14 PM
sorry pook

but for the background design

in photoshop i think there are a technique to copy a little bit of the character and make background image out of it but i forgot how

this topic is pinned so i think many people can help with it

wizz-o-matic
02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah, and don&#39;t forget the tutorials on AG.net KLICK (http://www.animegalleries.net/bbs/index.php?showforum=2)

And if someone is iterested I&#39;ve uploaded some brushes that I made another KLICK (http://www.animegalleries.net/bbs/index.php?showtopic=9)

PS. Any other tutorials on AG.net would be welcomed so feel free to post them&#33;&#33;

Fortune
03-18-2004, 02:45 AM
I have a few questions.

1) How does one go about making a picture monochrome, so that they&#39;re able to use a different, in-color picture in the foreground?

2) Does ANYBODY, ANYWHERE know how to use Fireworks MX to even half the extent that some of the good people here know how to use PhotoShop?

wizz-o-matic
03-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Fortune@Mar 18 2004, 09:45 AM
2) Does ANYBODY, ANYWHERE know how to use Fireworks MX to even half the extent that some of the good people here know how to use PhotoShop?
khm, Fireworks, I made a web page once with it. At that time I used version 3.0 :lol:
But don&#39;t know much about MX version (thought I have instaled it on my comp :) - with Dreamweaver and Flash :) )

Xian Pu
03-19-2004, 04:29 PM
To make a picture monochrome in PSP, just go to the drop menu &#39;Image&#39; and go down to gray scale. Voila, your once colored image is now black and white. Now, if you want to make it semi-colored, then you merely go over to the adjust drop menu and go down to colorize. From there; you just play with it until you&#39;re happy with it.

Adobe Photoshop, same thing really. Go to Image, then grayscale, and it&#39;s black and white. Honestly? I&#39;m still figuring out how to colorize a B&W image in Photoshop. It&#39;s a bit more of a... b*tch than PSP to adjust, so you&#39;ve really just got to play around with it until you are satisfied.

WinterC_16
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
i jus make the image bw then put a color layer over it. but thats the only way i can do that wit my software, photoimpresion 4 from arc soft :P must get new software

wizz-o-matic
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Hm, another way of monotoning (Photoshop) is: Duplicate the layer you wish to be monotone, colorize the 2nd layer (ctrl+U) and then just set the blendings option at color.

~OhioStar~
03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
:^_^: I have PSP 8. I&#39;m no expert on making wallpapers myself, but I do like to take different pictures and just work with them. I am still learning, but I have fun doing it. :D

MistressPookyChan
03-22-2004, 04:42 PM
The best way to learn about a program is to test it out and play around with it. You are doing exactly what I would suggest to a photoshop newbie, OhioStar, so kudos to you&#33;

Sweet_Angel
03-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I have psp8 but i cant figure out how to do backgrounds and things like that im still confused. :rolleyes:

kyske2003
04-21-2004, 10:41 PM
:wacko: Ohhhh&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I am so confuse.How can I make a anime wallpapers. :D Pls.
if you know any program that allows me to make a anime wallpapers plsssssss.
send an email to me. :)

KaotiC
04-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Adobe can be Downloaded for a 30 Day trial at Adobe Download (http://www.abobe.com)its alright but like they said thiers various programs that can edit Wallpapers/ Backgrounds.. But ive made a few with Adobe and its Alright....Like heres 1 I made just a bit ago for my Signature&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hansha
04-26-2004, 10:54 PM
[FONT=Times] Hi, can anyone tell me what the rules are on making wallpapers with pictures you find on the internet? Is there some copyright rule that dictates whether a person can use selected images off personal pages in original work? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks&#33; ^_^:

Manda da Panda
05-04-2004, 08:00 PM
hey can any one tell me how to resize an image??

akachan
05-05-2004, 03:41 AM
copyright issues:eh..is it a problem..I&#39;ve started to write on the bottom of the wall(so it is covered by the bar) the name of the series and the author, example:
ranma1/2©rumiko takahashi
and then I write:
wallpaper created by akachan.. .
on my website I&#39;ve wrote that the walls are for no-profit use...
once upon a time there was a topic on this forum about it, tell me if you &#39;ve found it.

how to resize an image:depends from the program that u&#39;re using, anyway in the tools bar there should be a tool for resizing(usually is an arrow) just click on it and move the corners holding the mouse

Hansha
05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks Akachan, I think I&#39;ll try that then :)

Raven a.k.a K&K
05-29-2004, 01:47 PM
*Raises hand* Newbie here, to the site and to wallpaper making. Um...dunno what else to say...Hello everyone ^_^;

joely2k
06-01-2004, 05:50 AM
Dear.... Anime experts...

What anime is this?

http://joely2k.somee.com/unknown.jpg

and Where can I find its wallpapers/pictures/gallery....
I have no idea at all..please help...

Kimagure
06-06-2004, 04:49 PM
hi, does anyone know how to resize the image without quality loss?

Gjallarhorn
06-06-2004, 05:17 PM
it all depends on the program ur using. for instance, if ur using paint and enlarge an image, it will come out bad quality, but if u try something like PaintShopPro, Photoshop, or PhotoDraw, it will come out in good quality. it could also depend on the quality of the image, like if u zoom in and see all sorts of scattered pixels, they will show up more when u resize the image.

Kimagure
06-07-2004, 06:24 AM
i know, i use photoshop to make wallpapers. when i saw some fullmetal alchemist wallpapers, i was surprised to see that the final outcome came out perfect. like, i have one pic of edward in about 400x285, and when i resize them i always get them blurry and use sharpen-unsharpen mask but you can see the unnecessary pixels. but from a wallpaper i saw, it was 1048x768 and looked just as good as the 400x285. does anyone know how they did that?

wizz-o-matic
06-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Kimagure@Jun 6 2004, 11:49 PM
hi, does anyone know how to resize the image without quality loss?
Hm, try with IrfanView, it&#39;s pretty good for enlarging images :) And it&#39;s free.

MistressPookyChan
06-07-2004, 05:39 PM
when you increase the size of an image using photoshop or PSP, don&#39;t increase the size all at once; go a little bit at a time. This will help make the image more clear and keep the color.

WeyrDragon
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
anyone ever get one of those pictures where its really nice, but you dont know exactly what do do to make it work in a paper? ive got one that just... well i cant find a good backround for it.

DDR Pip
06-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Ok, I&#39;m really tired of having to dodge spam and porn sites when looking for anime pics. Can someone just tell me where I can find some good, useful sites? After my last search, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll never use a search engine again :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: &#33;

wizz-o-matic
06-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DDR Pip@Jun 27 2004, 10:36 PM
Ok, I&#39;m really tired of having to dodge spam and porn sites when looking for anime pics. Can someone just tell me where I can find some good, useful sites? After my last search, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll never use a search engine again :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: &#33;
Try animegalleries.net :^_^:

Anyway, see this pined topic ^_^ http://www.animeglobe.com/ubb/index.php?showtopic=99

DDR Pip
06-29-2004, 12:29 AM
Ok, just because I&#39;m really mad right now I gotta say what happened. I spent all day today extracting my first pic ever. It was a long and tough extraction, and I was saving every 5-10 minutes. Finally, I finished, saved, and closed down photoshop. I later came back to find that my image quality had been redused from 110kb to 14kb. I wondered how the heck this horrible event could have happened to me with as cautious as I took my first extraction. Then I realized I had saved still zoomed in 1600x. Now, at first glance this doesn&#39;t seem like it would pose a problem, but I tested this with a random image by saving zoomed in and again the quality was reduced to nothing&#33; I am sorry if this is OT, but I had to post telling people don&#39;t save zoomed in :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

BTW, how fast can you guys extract? Mine didn&#39;t come out great like I&#39;ve seen on some of the wp and it took me all day.

Xian Pu
06-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by DDR Pip@Jun 29 2004, 12:29 AM
Ok, just because I&#39;m really mad right now I gotta say what happened. I spent all day today extracting my first pic ever. It was a long and tough extraction, and I was saving every 5-10 minutes. Finally, I finished, saved, and closed down photoshop. I later came back to find that my image quality had been redused from 110kb to 14kb. I wondered how the heck this horrible event could have happened to me with as cautious as I took my first extraction. Then I realized I had saved still zoomed in 1600x. Now, at first glance this doesn&#39;t seem like it would pose a problem, but I tested this with a random image by saving zoomed in and again the quality was reduced to nothing&#33; I am sorry if this is OT, but I had to post telling people don&#39;t save zoomed in :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: .

BTW, how fast can you guys extract? Mine didn&#39;t come out great like I&#39;ve seen on some of the wp and it took me all day.
Patience and a lot of restarts are your answer there. It takes time to get it right. Hell there are some walls that are out there that are awesome as hell, but have crappy extractions. Look around, you&#39;ll see what I&#39;m talking about. You say you&#39;re using Photoshop? A little secret for ya. Use the polygon lasso tool. It takes a bit longer, but the end results will be outstanding. Oh and also, it doesn&#39;t matter what you save it as, zoomed in or out, the program SHOULD save it at it&#39;s original size no matter what. ;) Good luck in the future.

DDR Pip
06-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I actually just saved another random image (no changes, not even in zoom) and it lowered the quality on that too, so sorry about all the venting. I think it&#39;s because of where I saved it. I&#39;ll try the lasso though.

Edit: I DIDN&#39;T SAVE IT AS A JPEG FILE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; At least I know now how to not work photoshop :angry: :<_<: :rolleyes: ....

DDR Pip
07-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Another question. If you have a low quality image, is there anyway to make it look like its not so low quality?

Gjallarhorn
07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
it doesnt help alot, but smart-blur can help, and also messeing around with brightness and contrast can help as well.

escaflownemoon
07-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Or you may have to recolour it on your own to get rid of the graininess and low quality if its really bad that smart blur can&#39;t hide the problem.