PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Superstitions

queenelfaria2
01-01-2009, 06:50 AM
In my family there is a tradition of getting most domestic chores completed (ie. ironing, washing clothes, mopping, sewing) by midnight because to do them on New Year's Day will give you bad luck for the rest of the year.

While i don't really believe in it...(i always thought it strange that washing dishes is one of the exceptions, and is my least favorite chore :rolleyes: ) it's hard to break with some traditons.

Anyone else follow these or have even odder new year's customs?

MissBunBun
01-01-2009, 07:30 AM
I have a few. One tradition that my family does is that you can not have Black Eye Peas in the house for they bring bad luck. And also a woman can not go to another womans house because that can bing you bad luck too.
Then it's also said that eating rice brings you good health and eating greens will bring you money. o.O;

ChibiVampKarin
01-02-2009, 03:59 AM
My family puts money (coins and dollar bills) in our pockets to signify wealth in the upcoming New Year. Also, we open all the doors to represent "out with the old and in with the new", as well as letting in the good luck and throwing out the bad. Hm, and we do the whole Filipino 13 pairs of fruits. I'm not really sure what that means, but I know it's supposed to be for good luck. Oh yeah, and we also have to put rice and water in front of ALL the windows. I have no idea what that means, I just know I have to do it. One last thing, we have to turn on all the lights. Yeah..NO clue what that means either.

This all needs to be done by midnight. We usually start preparing most of it 30-10 minutes before, except for the fruits thing.

Eris
01-02-2009, 04:13 AM
None what so ever. I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in rituals and I don't believe in the power of thoughts.

suzumi
01-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Japan has way too many. I don't even want to try and name them all. >_<

BestFly
01-02-2009, 04:30 AM
My family has one

We all fear the new years police and quickly change our calendars. xD

Ok no not really, actually we dont really care about new years at all.

SSDynamite
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Apparently it's good look to have a dark, strange man come through the door to your house at midnight on new year's eve. So John, a friend of our family (who has dark hair), came into the house pulling weird faces n stuff at midnight.

That was fun :)

Kojack
01-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I heard it's bad luck to change your calendar before the month changes. Have to do it on the day or past it.

Lady Phantomhive
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
i dont do anything special, but my friend opens her front door to "let the old year out and the new year in" at midnight.

Lola Granola
01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Tried to get all the cleaning done before new years. Failed. Didn't try to make up for it New Years Day though, so perhaps I won't have bad lucky. Might get it done this weekend.

Twig Ee
01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
we have no superstitions really we just party

Khanxay
01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Odd traditions... Well, my family celebrates a new year (Bpee Mai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_New_Year)) in April. I would guess that's pretty weird to most people.

SigmaSD
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
We have so many of them, that naming all of them will take quite a while. Well, when there is 30 seconds before New Years, you start drinking some wine with exactly 12 grapes in the glass. If you finish the wine and the grapes before the new year, you'll have good luck. They also place a series of dots on the door in a certain pattern to ward off good luck. Also, the color of your underwear determines what type of thing you want the new year to bring. Example: green- money, red- love, blue- prosperity, white- health, etc.

Another tradition is that most of the people that are over 21 drink themselves stupid on this day.

Khanxay
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Also, the color of your underwear determines what type of thing you want the new year to bring. Example: green- money, red- love, blue- prosperity, white- health, etc.

I'm curious. What happens if a person isn't wearing any?

╬Karami Mew~Meow
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Ohz, quite a few..
-No cleaning
-Put coins on the pockets
-Scatter coins on the floor or house
-Wear round/circly thihngyz
-Put circular fruits/food on windows and doors
-Never buy anything or give away money
-Stay at home
Or in other words, whatever you want to be or happen the rest of the year do it in New Years Day.

Eris
01-03-2009, 04:04 AM
I'm curious. What happens if a person isn't wearing any?

My eyes! The underwear do nothing!

MoroDashi
01-03-2009, 04:41 AM
I heard it's bad luck to change your calendar before the month changes. Have to do it on the day or past it.

Really? Mine always goes up on Boxing Day (26th December.) Because all the calanders are half-price at the shops x)
I've never really had bad luck with that, but now that you think about it... I always screw something up in my calander. Like last year, I smudged my own Birthday ;__; And this year I accidently put Mother's Day on the day after -__-

Mine doesn't really have any costums/rituals.
But I always have a wish bag to pray for good luck in 2009 on midnight/sometime in January.
And I also like to re-do my poster board to suit my calander. But unless I really like it, I don't.

We have so many of them, that naming all of them will take quite a while. Well, when there is 30 seconds before New Years, you start drinking some wine with exactly 12 grapes in the glass. If you finish the wine and the grapes before the new year, you'll have good luck. They also place a series of dots on the door in a certain pattern to ward off good luck. Also, the color of your underwear determines what type of thing you want the new year to bring. Example: green- money, red- love, blue- prosperity, white- health, etc.

Umm, I was wearing blue, green, white and two shades of pink, stripey underwear on new years. Whats that mean x)?

queenelfaria2
01-03-2009, 05:44 AM
I have a few. One tradition that my family does is that you can not have Black Eye Peas in the house for they bring bad luck. And also a woman can not go to another womans house because that can bing you bad luck too.
Then it's also said that eating rice brings you good health and eating greens will bring you money. o.O;
Yeah, we have greens and rice as well, but we also have field peas. Some people cook the peas and rice together and call it Hopping John. Odd, most people i know think black eye peas are good luck for new years.

My family puts money (coins and dollar bills) in our pockets to signify wealth in the upcoming New Year. Also, we open all the doors to represent "out with the old and in with the new", as well as letting in the good luck and throwing out the bad. Hm, and we do the whole Filipino 13 pairs of fruits. I'm not really sure what that means, but I know it's supposed to be for good luck. Oh yeah, and we also have to put rice and water in front of ALL the windows. I have no idea what that means, I just know I have to do it. One last thing, we have to turn on all the lights. Yeah..NO clue what that means either.

This all needs to be done by midnight. We usually start preparing most of it 30-10 minutes before, except for the fruits thing.

None what so ever. I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in rituals and I don't believe in the power of thoughts.
For some reason i thought you would say that.

Apparently it's good look to have a dark, strange man come through the door to your house at midnight on new year's eve. So John, a friend of our family (who has dark hair), came into the house pulling weird faces n stuff at midnight.

That was fun :)
We do a similar thing...having a guy cross the threshold first on new year's day will bring good luck.

Another tradition is that most of the people that are over 21 drink themselves stupid on this day.

Yours, ChibiVamp's and Karami's are the most interesting traditon's yet. Fruits all around and rice on the windows...grapes in wine...and symboilic underwear...coins in pockets...wow. I feel like i might add these to my own good luck rituals. Well, the underwear and coins things...those are easy. It can't hurt, lol.

Oh, and Lola Granola...same here...what didn't get done here by midnight just didn't get done. :laugh: