PDA

View Full Version : I'm in desperate need of help!!

ComradeD17
12-31-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm starting an anime club at my school this coming semester but I don't know what to show. I would like to preview 10 anime for members to vote on. Here are some restrictions (some made by the school and others by myself)
a. under 13 episodes
b. in the Netflix library
c. school appropriate (in high school)
I've been combing through the Netflix (a great tool for starting a club bty) library but theirs frankly too much that I haven't seen... and too much period.

Any help is deeply appreciated!!

Oh. I wrote this on a hurry so I forgot to mention that there can be SOME violence and/or language and/or sexuality. Just not too much.

Galactic Pretty Boy
12-31-2008, 11:34 PM
.hack twilight bracelet is 13 episodes and umm idk what else lol :)

ComradeD17
12-31-2008, 11:36 PM
.hack twilight bracelet is 13 episodes and umm idk what else lol :)
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'll check it out!:)

I also don't mind if its been on TV before just as long as its more obscure than, say, Fooly Cooly or Champloo. But other than that any suggestions are welcome!! Really, anything you guys think is really good and worth showing.

Sanosuke X
01-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Fooly Cooly...Its like 6 Episodes....As for content you be the Judge.

Brojasu
01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
FLCL is the only thing i can think of that fits your criteria. Shonen shows is the only thing that would be school aproppriate, though they usually span anywhere from 50 to hundreds of episodes.Maybe Devil May Cry? that would be pushing it though. Possibly the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I would say Elfen Lied, but not even the opening is school aproppriate, much less the show :P

Maybe you should show movies or OVA's instead of shows if you could do that. Tekkonkinkreet would be a good choice. Its rated R but its not really that bad

Sorry if my suggestions are crap, but thats all I can think of ATM

Ketaikeon
01-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Azumanga Daioh (yay Japanese audio and subs!) and Haruhi are in the Netflix library.

Jagan Eye
01-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure about Netflix library, but these should be school appropriate.

Disgaea: 12 episodes
Paranoia Agent: 13 episodes

SigmaSD
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know if your school will find it appropriate, but you could try out "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya".

ComradeD17
01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Movies might be a little harder to show because I want meetings to be during lunch although I could show them in segments. Some shorter OVAs would be an excellent choice. Oh, I just remembered about Lain and Magical Shopping Arcade. I've only seen a little bit of the former and I didn't mind how slow it was but there would a lot of people clearing throats ya know what I mean?

The Grey Crane
01-05-2009, 08:01 AM
What's a Netflix library? Sorry but i'm half cro-magnon, please bear with my ignorance.

Anyway...

For something funny and weird 'Cromartie High School' is something worth checking out. It's a parodic comedy about teenage delinquency. It has 26 SHORT episodes, maybe 15-20 minutes long, so the whole series runs roughly similar (even shorter) to a normal 13-episode series. If you're showing a set of 10 shows, Cro High would best serve as an ice breaker which showcases great comedy and a unique art style rarely seen in anime.

Any STUDIO GHIBLI film definitely deserves a spot in your club's preview. All the titles from the Ghibli library are armed with stunning visual qualities and captivating stories which are well-received by fans and critics alike. One ghibli film, Spirited Away, even won an oscar. These shows are good openers to stun the viewers. It will also work well if shown last for that coup de grace/big finish effect.

Your anime preview wouldn't be complete without mecha in it. Kotetsushin Jeeg, a sequel to Go nagai's classic super robot series named 'Kotetsu Jeeg', offers a modern look fused with the simplistic and traditional elements of the mecha genre. Be forewarned, this show also contains occasional Ecchiness, it's still pretty much viewer friendly though. With exactly 13 episodes, this one gives your would-be viewers a glimpse of anime's most recognizable genre.

If you show Super, you should show Real. A real robot series from anime's (ARGUABLY) biggest franchise, Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory is an OVA series with 13 episodes. With a more in-depth story compared to Jeeg, this show is a fusion of space operatic and real robot elements, a characteristic present in MOST shows under the Gundam franchise. Again, it gives your would-be viewers a glimpse of anime's most recognizable FRANCHISE.

On the romantic and lovey-dovey side of things, Boys Be is a pretty good choice. Simple yet mushy, it's a 13-episode school romance series about high school life and teenage love life. With its philosophical quotations and mellow presentation, Boys Be is your 'for-the-girls' choice.

To avoid a long and cluttered post, i will stop for now. I've already mentioned 5 titles here and i WILL mention 5 more on my next post.