PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Up Aw.com

MistressPookyChan
11-03-2003, 02:26 AM
Besides the game wallpaper section, does anyone know of anything else that needs to be fixed? this includes dead images, rips/stolen wallpapers, wallpapers in the wrong location, etc.

Please give me as much detail as possible. Thanks!

Gestahr
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Well, it's written in ASP, so the whole thing needs to be fixxed. :x

kadaan
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Nov 3 2003, 09:55 AM
Agreed! ^_^

I personally find quite a few of the wallpapers to be sub-par and don't know how they got in there unless they're some of the first ones put up. A rating/comment system would rule.

MistressPookyChan
11-03-2003, 04:50 PM
maybe that's something we can do as a group. like... each week we pick an anime series or two and go through and see which deserve to be on the site still. What do ya think, pmak? :lol:

Golden Anime
11-03-2003, 06:18 PM
*jumps out of his seat*

i get to pick the crappy ones!!

Iapetus
11-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MistressPookyChan@Nov 3 2003, 05:45 PM
maybe that's something we can do as a group. like... each week we pick an anime series or two and go through and see which deserve to be on the site still. What do ya think, pmak? :lol:
Ah, well, I'm not pmack, but I think it is a good idea. I know when the anipike went to revamp the site that they did it one section at a time. Not to mention, some sections are huge (i.e. Oh! My Goddes! and Rurouni Kenshin), and would take awhile.

I also suggest that those not familiar with a series be the ones to proof the section. That way, the images that stay are staying in on how well they actually look. That way, there would also be no bias (or at least less).

-Iapetus

ownerizer
11-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Nov 3 2003, 12:55 PM
hahahahha, rock on

kadaan
11-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Iapetus@Nov 3 2003, 04:32 PM
I also suggest that those not familiar with a series be the ones to proof the section. That way, the images that stay are staying in on how well they actually look. That way, there would also be no bias (or at least less).
I disagree, a lot of wallpapers are great because they convey the feeling and atmosphere of the anime.

Take Lain for example, someone who likes bright pink and butterflies might look at the wallpapers and vote low because they're too dark and depressing (no offense to those who like bright pink and butterflies).

Gestahr
11-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Does PMAK have AIM or something? There are some things I wanted to talk to him about regarding the backend/DB.

MistressPookyChan
11-04-2003, 03:10 AM
you can PM pmak through the forum. He's pretty good at checking them regularly.

pmak
11-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Gestahr@Nov 3 2003, 12:54 PM
It's written in Apache::ASP, which is actually mod_perl. Quite a different beast compared to Microsoft IIS ASP/VBScript. The backend database is MySQL.

The server is getting overloaded, though. It is now serving over 20 million page views per month (!). I'm going to have to find some time to reoptimize the code (not sure how far I can optimize it, but there should be some room for improvement), and/or purchase another server to help split the load.

pmak
11-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by MistressPookyChan@Nov 3 2003, 05:44 PM
maybe that's something we can do as a group. like... each week we pick an anime series or two and go through and see which deserve to be on the site still.Â* What do ya think, pmak?Â* :lol:
I generally don't like the idea of removing wallpapers that are already up on the site. A visitor who saw the wallpaper before might go looking for it again in the future, and it's also not nice to the author of the removed wallpaper.

I do have plans to make a wallpaper rating/comment system, though. People will be able to vote on wallpapers somehow, and the default order of the wallpapers will tend to favor newer/higher rated wallpapers somehow. The idea will be that people can find good wallpapers more easily, especially for series that have dozens of wallpapers.

My To-Do List for programming of the site goes roughly something like this:

(1) Add a web interface for people to submit wallpapers, to replace the current e-mail/forum submission system. This will make organizing wallpapers a lot easier for us.
(2) Make the website run faster.
(3) Implement wallpaper rating/comment/sorting system.
(4) Support wallpaper sizes larger than 1024x768.

I have to fit all this around my Ph.D. dissertation (in Computer Science) work, though. If things go well, I'll be finished my Ph.D. by January.

Iapetus
11-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by kadaan+Nov 3 2003, 10:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kadaan @ Nov 3 2003, 10:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Iapetus@Nov 3 2003, 04:32 PM
I also suggest that those not familiar with a series be the ones to proof the section.&nbsp; That way, the images that stay are staying in on how well they actually look.&nbsp; That way, there would also be no bias (or at least less).
I disagree, a lot of wallpapers are great because they convey the feeling and atmosphere of the anime.

Take Lain for example, someone who likes bright pink and butterflies might look at the wallpapers and vote low because they&#39;re too dark and depressing (no offense to those who like bright pink and butterflies). [/b][/quote]
Well, you have a good point that I missed. Maybe a little bit of each? One to critique design, well, critically of the walls, and another to see if the feel of the wall matches the series.

You get the general point.

-Iapetus