PDA

View Full Version : Adolf Hitler Denied Personalized Birthday Cake

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-16-2008, 11:23 PM
EASTON, Pa. – The father of 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell, denied a birthday cake with the child's full name on it by one New Jersey supermarket, is asking for a little tolerance. Heath Campbell and his wife, Deborah, are upset not only with the decision made by the Greenwich ShopRite, but with an outpouring of angry Internet postings in response to a local newspaper article over the weekend on their flare-up over frosting.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted in Easton, on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," the 35-year-old continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell, 25, said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

BEST NAME EVER!!!

Also, parents must be euthanized, etcetera.

Sagat
12-17-2008, 12:35 AM
I was sort of teetering on both sides of the issue until I read that it was previously requested that there be a swastika as part of a decoration.

That, plus the name? Come on now.

If that swastika thing is true, it throws every ounce of credibility they may have had out the window.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-17-2008, 12:51 AM
I was sort of teetering on both sides of the issue until I read that it was previously requested that there be a swastika as part of a decoration.

That, plus the name? Come on now.

If that swastika thing is true, it throws every ounce of credibility they may have had out the window.
Yeah. The full article make him out to be pretty racist-seeming, and his daughter's names are pretty classic as well.

Caelus
12-17-2008, 03:09 AM
Eva Braun Campbell, or Susan Naziface Campbell?

Eris
12-17-2008, 03:29 AM
BEST NAME EVER!!!

Also, parents must be euthanized, etcetera.

Basically, the above.

OminousCloud
12-17-2008, 05:55 AM
They totally ruined it with a last name like "Campbell". They just seem like yokel try hards ._.

Dr. Hax
12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Those kids are going to get harassed pretty badly in school, possibly beaten or even killed depending on who's there at the time. With names like those given, I wouldn't be surprised.

In other news, the mother of 5-year old Jorge Che Guevara Francisco was denied a pinata at an Arizona mall after the current manager of a Spanish party supply shop became offended by the name of the child.

I'm kidding of course.

SigmaSD
12-17-2008, 08:03 AM
I agree with Sagat. I would've been fine with the name, except they had to go overboard and asked for a swastika. That's going way overboard.

In other news, the mother of 5-year old Jorge Che Guevara Francisco was denied a pinata at an Arizona mall after the current manager of a Spanish party supply shop became offended by the name of the child.

This situation would totally depend on the person. Some people actually consider Che Guevara a war hero.

loveyourfate
12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm on the father's side actually. The topic of the article is that the boy was denied his name on a birthday cake. That shouldn't have been done, in fact it's a form of racist prejudice. Yeah, the swastika was overboard but he didn't ask that now.
He asked that two years ago and was denied it (on which I agree), but there was no mention that he made a big ruckus about that. So, it seems the father accepted that decision. So there's still no reason to not put the name of the child on the cake. As the dad said, it's just a name (I feel sorry for the little guy...).

3pleT
12-17-2008, 08:31 AM
so what? if i ever find a woman with the last name mengele, i'll marry her and take her last name, just to name our first son josef, force him to become a surgeon and, every once in a while, come to his office and take a picture of his patient's face when he introduces himself to him.

Chocobo
12-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Hm...I can understand the reasoning behind the refusing of the swastika; refusing the name is really kind of stupid.

Some people admire Hitler; He was attempting a right track, to have a perfect race [which could never be done], he just went about it the wrong way.

Last year, my Global Issues teacher asked this in class: you've just turned 18 and are able to vote for the new president. Would you vote for a decorated war hero who started out with virtually no money and was loyal to his mistress, someone who drank 3 martini's a day, or someone who had multiple mistresses and smoked around 5 cigars a day?

Hitler was a decorated war hero who started off with virtually no money and loyal to his mistress
Franklin drank 3 martini's a day
Jefferson smoked at least 5 cigars a day and had multiple mistresses

I could have the multiple mistresses mixed up between Franklin and Jefferson.

In the Navajo language, the 卍 was originally conceived as "good luck". I believe it was called the Sauvastika.

SigmaSD
12-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Last year, my Global Issues teacher asked this in class: you've just turned 18 and are able to vote for the new president. Would you vote for a decorated war hero who started out with virtually no money and was loyal to his mistress, someone who drank 3 martini's a day, or someone who had multiple mistresses and smoked around 5 cigars a day?

My psychology teacher asked us the same question. Everyone except me voted for Hitler. It was actually really funny because we had a discussion on Hitler beforehand, and everyone said they would've never voted for Hitler.

I think the only one affected in all of this is the kid. How could you deny a birthday cake to the five year old? It's not like he chose to have that name (he probably doesn't even know what it means).

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-17-2008, 10:28 AM
My psychology teacher asked us the same question. Everyone except me voted for Hitler. It was actually really funny because we had a discussion on Hitler beforehand, and everyone said they would've never voted for Hitler.

I think the only one affected in all of this is the kid. How could you deny a birthday cake to the five year old? It's not like he chose to have that name (he probably doesn't even know what it means).
He got one... from Wal-Mart. The local store refusing to do business with them in light of their previous garbage seems totally reasonable to me. But Riddle me this, Batman: Can't they make their own damn cake?

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that these suburban neo-nazis named their kid something stupid to get attention.

Sagat
12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
With regard to this talk about voting for Hitler back in the day and what not, keep in mind that assuming he had died before roughly 1939, he probably would have gone down as the worlds greatest statesman - having given Germany back her spirit, her pride, sense of place in the world, completely rejuvenated the economy etc, all from his unshakable belief in the German country.

I recommend anyone interested read the book Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris by Kershaw I think. It highlights how his conviction and belief alone was enough to pull Germany up from its depression and against the unfair Treaty of Versailles. Also shows his life growing up and whatnot which is pretty interesting too.

Tasuke
12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
what's the deal with naziism these days!?!? HITLER was an evil SOB. SATAN himself, to be positively sure. back in WWII, the U.S. and it's allies stood up against nazi germany and it's allies to defend freedom and human rights from an evil axis of fascism. they dethroned the corrupt leadership of both germany and japan, and freed both contries' citizens from opressive tyranny. the A-bombs used on japan's provinces nagasaki and hiroshima were the big shameful mistake the U.S. made, however. a completely unnecissary pompous display of power that killed many innocent japanese citizens. we had already won. in sum, the U.S. did the right thing up until the very end there. the men in charge of implementing the bombs at that final hour will have to answer to god for their grevious error...

Sagat
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Feel better now that you got that gratuitous spat of patriotic-religious wordplay out of your mouth?

If Hitler was Satan, then who was Stalin - who had killed more people overall, and with equally terrorizing methods? Perhaps Stalin was Samael? Perhaps this would make the Japanese Emperor .. Mephisto? Oh, and while we're at it, Gobbels was a good liar .. let's call him Asmodeus!

And for one further barb - I would add... the Soviet Union and her allies dethroned Germany, since it was the USSR that suffered the most from Barbarossa and it was they they led the push into Germany and captured Berlin. The US didn't "stand up" until the later stages of the war, once the players were already on stage. If you want to your pompous chest thumping do it elsewhere. I have almost no idea what your post had to do with the Adolf Hitler name on a cake, and it had little to do with the discussion about his ability as a leader.

Aizmov
12-17-2008, 12:14 PM
What's the problem with Adolf Hitler as a name? It is just a name!

Eris
12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
What's the problem with Adolf Hitler as a name? It is just a name!

Indeed, associating Adolf, Hitler and Adolf Hitler with the Adolf Hitler posthumously grants him more power still.

Fantasy21
12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
These are the most selfish parents I have ever seen. Sure the kid should not have been denied a birthday cake, but the parents know better. They also have daughter who's name is JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell (no joke!). These kids are going to have it rough. They are going to harassed and maybe even physically injured. It's all because their parents are selfish and delusional. Imagine these kids applying for jobs when they're older. Hardly anyone is going to take them seriously.

I hope these kids get their names changed and don't adopt the beliefs of their parents. The father says that people should focus on the future and not the past, but apparently he isn't taking his own advice. He wasn't thinking about his kids' future by giving them names like that.

The parents are racist. C'mon, swastikas on a three year old's birthday cake? Absolutely sick!

Aizmov
12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
There is nothing wrong with swastikas!
Swastikas don't kill people! People kill people!

"The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
http://history1900s.about.com/cs/swastika/a/swastikahistory.htm

Caelus
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM

"The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck. "

Yeah, well known stuff. I remember being 11, and having the Pokemon card Swastika controversy going on. But it's a symbol that is just too well known as something evil nowadays, the damage to it is done.

On a lighter note, does this mean Mein Kampf isn't German for My Cake?:(

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM

CONTEXT.

Swastikas themselves aren't bad, but when you're trying to convince someone to put it on a cake next to the words "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler Campbell" it's pretty clear that you aren't doing it because you're a hippy, but because it was a national symbol used by the Nazis.

With regard to this talk about voting for Hitler back in the day and what not, keep in mind that assuming he had died before roughly 1939, he probably would have gone down as the worlds greatest statesman - having given Germany back her spirit, her pride, sense of place in the world, completely rejuvenated the economy etc, all from his unshakable belief in the German country.

I recommend anyone interested read the book Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris by Kershaw I think. It highlights how his conviction and belief alone was enough to pull Germany up from its depression and against the unfair Treaty of Versailles. Also shows his life growing up and whatnot which is pretty interesting too.The interesting part is that you can see Mao and Stalin in basically the same light: Stalin took Russia from a being a totally disorganized agricultural state the Industrial Revolution had passed over into a modern industrial state in a mere 20 years. Mao was able to do basically the same thing in a similar amount of time after China got destroyed by the Japanese. People like to think of these guys as Evil Jerks, but with the exception of maybe Hitler's latter years, they were Effective Evil Jerks.

None of the above
12-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Of course the bare usage of the swastika - sign (in a few countries) is totally forbidden.
Yes, the cake producer is right in assuming his own right to decide whether or not to honourate the command.

Aizmov
12-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Effective[/I] Evil Jerks.

Unlike Bush who wasn't very effective, wasn't evil and probably a jerk, we'll never know!
Sometimes I think the USA needs a dictator for just 4 years to set it straight.

*Tsuki*
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM
hmm, well I would have denied it if I was in that situation, but I think it was kind of cruel for his father to name him that. . .

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Unlike Bush who wasn't very effective, wasn't evil and probably a jerk, we'll never know!
Sometimes I think the USA needs a dictator for just 4 years to set it straight.

Well, I don't know, I think attacking a country based on lies, and then torturing citizens of said country for years without trial is basically what I'd call evil. Your definition may vary, I guess.

Personally, rather then a dictator I'd go for a tyrant in a classic Greek sense of the word. A person invested with absolute civil authority to restructure the countries for a set period of time. Of course, then the question becomes: who do we give that power?

Sagat
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
The interesting part is that you can see Mao and Stalin in basically the same light: Stalin took Russia from a being a totally disorganized agricultural state the Industrial Revolution had passed over into a modern industrial state in a mere 20 years. Mao was able to do basically the same thing in a similar amount of time after China got destroyed by the Japanese. People like to think of these guys as Evil Jerks, but with the exception of maybe Hitler's latter years, they were Effective Evil Jerks.

Oh, completely. They did do amazing things .. unfortunately, all of the amazing things they did were to simply set the platform on which to let loose their darker ambitions, suppressed craziness, or extremely radical political motives.

Caelus
12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
They just showed them on the news. The guy claims naming his kids Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation had nothing to do with what people are accusing him of, but he did cause we live in an age where you can name your kid whatever you want. He then showed off his tattoos of swastika's and Hitler's name, and his nazi boots. They want an apology for the store, the spokesperson said that it will never happen.

They claim it isn't right that they are now a target of hate. I didn't know how to react. They look like gutter trash too, btw.

Yugure's Goddess
12-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Feel better now that you got that gratuitous spat of patriotic-religious wordplay out of your mouth?

If Hitler was Satan, then who was Stalin - who had killed more people overall, and with equally terrorizing methods? Perhaps Stalin was Samael? Perhaps this would make the Japanese Emperor .. Mephisto? Oh, and while we're at it, Gobbels was a good liar .. let's call him Asmodeus!

And for one further barb - I would add... the Soviet Union and her allies dethroned Germany, since it was the USSR that suffered the most from Barbarossa and it was they they led the push into Germany and captured Berlin. The US didn't "stand up" until the later stages of the war, once the players were already on stage. If you want to your pompous chest thumping do it elsewhere. I have almost no idea what your post had to do with the Adolf Hitler name on a cake, and it had little to do with the discussion about his ability as a leader.
Another thorn, still: the loosing (and in essence the bombing) of the Japanese at the end of WWII is, arguably, what began all anime. Or, at least, it helped the idea along QUITE a bit.

I thought the name was alright, and I thought the name of the child made an interesting point on judgment and lack of tolerance from all sides, until of course, the swastika part. Woman? The name was risque enough. That kid is going to have to live through enough hell because that stupid name you gave him! Now, you have to rub salt in the wounds so he can look back on his birthdays and his name and his past and realize it was all inspired by a mass murderer. Pleasant.

Yeah, the parents are attention whores. Though, a point could be made that a reversed swastika is actually a symbol of the Buddha and perfection. So Nazism kind of gave that symbol a bad rep, which is a shame because in its original context, that image was a symbol of peace, love and enlightenment. Kind of depressing to think about.

love
dani
dude

Wio
12-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Hitler, Mao, and Stalin stepped on other heads in attempt to improve their countries. They knew they couldn't walk away peacefully with the crap they pulled. It's not that these guys were great leaders before the wars, it's just that wars distract us from some of the really slimy stuff they did.

American bondholders loaned money in the hundreds of millions of dollars to Germany to help pay for their bankruptcy. When Hitler got into power he defaulted on it. Keep in mind this is when the typical salary was $3k, gas was $0.25, and billionaires did not exist.
Obviously that sorta move is gonna boost a troubled economy, but at what cost? You can't pull crap like that and expect to be admired by historians.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Hitler, Mao, and Stalin stepped on other heads in attempt to improve their countries. They knew they couldn't walk away peacefully with the crap they pulled. It's not that these guys were great leaders before the wars, it's just that wars distract us from some of the really slimy stuff they did.

American bondholders loaned money in the hundreds of millions of dollars to Germany to help pay for their bankruptcy. When Hitler got into power he defaulted on it. Keep in mind this is when the typical salary was $3k, gas was $0.25, and billionaires did not exist.
Obviously that sorta move is gonna boost a troubled economy, but at what cost? You can't pull crap like that and expect to be admired by historians.

You are confusing "Great" as in notable and "Great" as value statement. Nobody said that Hitler, Mao, and Stalin were the sort of people you'd like to meet in a dark alley, we're saying that from an objective historical standpoint they left their countries in much better shape economically (with the exception of Hitler post-1939ish). In Russia's case in particular, it's hard to imagine anyone else being able to turn Russia from the butthole of Europe into a force that was not only able to resist Nazi Germany, but win against it in such a short amount of time. No one has said that any of them are admirable, except in a very narrow international sense divorced from their very real crimes against humanity. They were not good people, but they were great people.

Diocletian
12-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Has anyone laughed at the fact that they put a last name into the kids name?

So the parents are irl trolls. Who cares?

sa5m
12-19-2008, 11:50 AM
How did the parents even name the kid in the first place?

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-19-2008, 06:44 PM
How did the parents even name the kid in the first place?
Well, I imagine they wrote "Adolf Hitler Campbell" on the birth certificate. There's no Naming Gestapo (pun intended) to stop them.

Unless you mean "How Could They?" in which case it can be pointed out that many people are attention hungry egotards.

Acnologia
12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
It may be a day and age where you can name your kid whatever. But you can't expect people not to react to naming your kid such a name.

TheAsterisk!
12-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, I don't know, I think attacking a country based on lies, and then torturing citizens of said country for years without trial is basically what I'd call evil. Your definition may vary, I guess.
Always Hitler, then Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mussolini, Castro, blah, blah, blah. You even put Bush in there. Woodrow Wilson never gets the credit he deserves. Is his name just not musical enough?
Actually, if you go by the UN's definition of WMD, we did find production equipment for a WMD: napalm. Then again, we also use napalm on a regular basis. As a note, chemical weapons were found, in large numbers, but they weren't new production as claimed prior to the war. The fun part is that a whole lot of their weapons, WMD and otherwise, are probably of US origin from when we saw fit to aid their war against Iran back in the seventies. There has also been talk amongst the higher-ups in the old Iraqi military that everything was moved into Syria, but as far as anyone knows there's no evidence for or against it.

Personally, rather then a dictator I'd go for a tyrant in a classic Greek sense of the word. A person invested with absolute civil authority to restructure the countries for a set period of time. Of course, then the question becomes: who do we give that power?
Actually, Mussolini's definition of totalitarianism (a word he invented, by the way) usually works better (everything is within the state, nothing without) over a moderate period of time. Even though an oligarchy isn't much different from a dictatorship or a monarchy, people accept it more readily for some reason.

Some dolt, I think it was "Chocobo" and I'm not hitting back because I'm lazy, said Hitler had good ideas to create the ultimate people but he did it wrong. Hitler didn't give a damn about humanity nor did the National Socialists. It was a typical fascist regime in that they promoted German superiority everywhere and socialism within. This leads me to my question: do you, Chocobo, think eugenics is a great idea? If so, who do you deem unfit? Do you have a system to determine fitness or do you wander through a room and point? Will you be castrating and sterilizing or just killing? I'd very much like to hear the details.

I'm willing to bet that if they'd asked for an eagle to be holding the globe in its claws on the cake instead of a swastika, the average idiot wouldn't have caught it.

gadgetgirl16
12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I remembered reading this in the Press a few days ago, I think it's kinda messed up that they named that little girl "Adolf Hitler" in the first place, i'm even surprised that they allowed it. once when she grows up, i have a feeling that she'll change her name quickly when she finds out who Adolf Hitler really was. i know i'll would if i was her... *sigh*

i don't think ShopRite would be the only store that will refuse to put that name on a cake... don't get me wrong, there is freedom of speetch, but when people think of that name.. hate comes into mind.

kat_star01
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
For god sakes. The kid's name.....is Hitler. Regardless of it being a name, I wouldn't be dumb enough to name my child Adolf Hitler of all names. It's soooooooooo obvious you'll be treated different. Really, the parents must be mentally retarded.

Mitchyru
12-20-2008, 03:09 PM
i actually adore that name, but not the person who it originally belonged to. but people WILL treat her differently. & i think it's wrong that Walmart refused to put that name on the cake, i mean, she's not ACTUALLY Hitler, so?

Capernicus
12-20-2008, 03:51 PM
lol This is all very amusing. It was a small store (ShopRite? never heard of it) that denied the claim, and I think that's pretty typical of small business owners. Now WalMart is frackin' huge. The big wigs of course aren't going to care about offending a few people in a small town if it means dollars. I think it was only when it hit the internets and people found out that they claimed they would "review their policies".

Personally, I think it is right to deny it to them. If they wanted to exercise freedom of speech so bad (which in this case I don't think is the real issue so much as attention), they could have made their own cake. Or, if they racists are unable to bake, they could have ordered it plain and decorated it themselves.

swastika + Adolf Hitler = major offensive

As for all this talk about Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Mao (isn't that his first name? why don't we call him Zedong?), yes of course they were great men. We wouldn't know their names if they weren't. But this talk about how they were in fact brilliant and wonderful leaders, motivators, and reformers is all bull. As someone pointed out, it was pretty slimy stuff. Just because a CEO is able to pull his company out of the gutter and make is a multimillion dollar power doesn't mean much if he did a lot of dirty and illegal things in the process. And I know that the dictators in question weren't doing anything illegal per say (as the UN was not yet around), but I don't think that there's any denying it was wrong. That's it. They are the skidmark of history.

Who would want to name their kid after them? Of course you CAN, but WHY? Because you can? That's always the lamest reason, along with because I said so.

Dark Wolf 09
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
what's the deal with naziism these days!?!? HITLER was an evil SOB. SATAN himself, to be positively sure. back in WWII, the U.S. and it's allies stood up against nazi germany and it's allies to defend freedom and human rights from an evil axis of fascism. they dethroned the corrupt leadership of both germany and japan, and freed both contries' citizens from opressive tyranny. the A-bombs used on japan's provinces nagasaki and hiroshima were the big shameful mistake the U.S. made, however. a completely unnecissary pompous display of power that killed many innocent japanese citizens. we had already won. in sum, the U.S. did the right thing up until the very end there. the men in charge of implementing the bombs at that final hour will have to answer to god for their grevious error...

Pretty much agree'd. Who ever named that poor child Adolf Hitler Cambell, should die. Seriously I feel bad for that kid.

Mitchyru
12-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Adolf Hitler. no wonder she's on the news.

Kissed by Obito
12-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I think that the parents should be beaten for giving their child that name. I agree with the grocery store not to put inappropriate things on cakes. I question the parents ability to raise normal healthy children. These people must have been really stupid and ignorant not to realize the full ramifications of that name.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Always Hitler, then Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mussolini, Castro, blah, blah, blah. You even put Bush in there. Woodrow Wilson never gets the credit he deserves. Is his name just not musical enough?Or Teddy Roosevelt.

Actually, if you go by the UN's definition of WMD, we did find production equipment for a WMD: napalm. Then again, we also use napalm on a regular basis. As a note, chemical weapons were found, in large numbers, but they weren't new production as claimed prior to the war. The fun part is that a whole lot of their weapons, WMD and otherwise, are probably of US origin from when we saw fit to aid their war against Iran back in the seventies. There has also been talk amongst the higher-ups in the old Iraqi military that everything was moved into Syria, but as far as anyone knows there's no evidence for or against it.
I was talking specifically about this (http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2004_cr/s012804b.html), but there was such a wall of lies there that you can pick and choose any bit you like really. The bits about Al Qaeda and Saddam being super best friends and in many ways one and the same were particularly funny, as Al Qaeda actually hated Saddam's guts, even if they both thought America is/was The Great Satan.

Actually, Mussolini's definition of totalitarianism (a word he invented, by the way) usually works better (everything is within the state, nothing without) over a moderate period of time. Even though an oligarchy isn't much different from a dictatorship or a monarchy, people accept it more readily for some reason.The great part about Greek Tyranny is that it's by definition a set period of time, although if people like the tyrant enough I'm sure he can set up a coup and become Emperor for life pretty easy. One Greek institution I'd really be interested in updating is Ostracism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracism), but I'm sure people would abuse it no matter how it worked.

I'm willing to bet that if they'd asked for an eagle to be holding the globe in its claws on the cake instead of a swastika, the average idiot wouldn't have caught it.

Same thing with the SS Bolts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sig_Rune).

As for all this talk about Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and Mao (isn't that his first name? why don't we call him Zedong?), yes of course they were great men. We wouldn't know their names if they weren't. But this talk about how they were in fact brilliant and wonderful leaders, motivators, and reformers is all bull. As someone pointed out, it was pretty slimy stuff. Just because a CEO is able to pull his company out of the gutter and make is a multimillion dollar power doesn't mean much if he did a lot of dirty and illegal things in the process. And I know that the dictators in question weren't doing anything illegal per say (as the UN was not yet around), but I don't think that there's any denying it was wrong. That's it. They are the skidmark of history.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, because most of your remarks seem to be "They were bad guys" which no one has disagreed with, but China and Russia were arguably a lot better places for the survivors after Mao and Stalin died then they were before they took power. People like to think that Stalin and Mao and Hitler were civilization-destroying tornadoes, and while they were certainly all pragmatic and power-hungry tyrants they clearly were not sociopaths, except for maybe Hitler. Even there it's debatable.

Also, China uses the [Surname] [Given Name] naming scheme, so Mao is Mao's last name as we think of things.

Mitchyru
12-20-2008, 09:53 PM
but i really don't get what the hype is about, i mean, it's not like you could change the name.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-20-2008, 09:56 PM
but i really don't get what the hype is about, i mean, it's not like you could change the name.
Actually, you can.

Mitchyru
12-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Actually, you can.

there's an age limit for it?

Dragon Ranger
12-21-2008, 09:39 PM
wow this is just epic

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-21-2008, 10:28 PM
there's an age limit for it?
Age < 18: Fill out a form (Need Permission of all legal guardians unless, I assume, you're emancipated)
Age ≥ 18: Fill out a form

Dragon Ranger
12-21-2008, 10:41 PM
all I can say is wow

FaeryTaleAngel
12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
~*~**Everyone**~*~

The child's name is Adolf Hitler... No more said...

~*~**FaeryTaleAngel**~*~

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
~*~**Everyone**~*~

The child's name is Adolf Hitler... No more said...

~*~**FaeryTaleAngel**~*~
Why yes, I believe I stated that in the first post. You are very good at this reading thing.

SigmaSD
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
They just showed them on the news. The guy claims naming his kids Adolf Hitler and Aryan Nation had nothing to do with what people are accusing him of, but he did cause we live in an age where you can name your kid whatever you want. He then showed off his tattoos of swastika's and Hitler's name, and his nazi boots. They want an apology for the store, the spokesperson said that it will never happen.

They claim it isn't right that they are now a target of hate. I didn't know how to react. They look like gutter trash too, btw.

It is a fact that everyone has the right to name their child whatever they want, but parents sometimes fail to realize the possible effects it can have on their children.

It is also a fact that stores have the right to refuse service to anyone. So if the store deemed the name and the design as inappropriate, then they have full right to negate the service to these people. Therefore, I don't see why the store needs to offer an apology.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-21-2008, 11:40 PM
It is a fact that everyone has the right to name their child whatever they want, but parents sometimes fail to realize the possible effects it can have on their children.

It is also a fact that stores have the right to refuse service to anyone. So if the store deemed the name and the design as inappropriate, then they have full right to negate the service to these people. Therefore, I don't see why the store needs to offer an apology.
If you've read the story, then you'd know that the parents didn't fail to understand the significance, they just didn't care. They're neo-Nazis in addition to being attention hungry.

Aizmov
12-21-2008, 11:55 PM
I still find it odd that you don't think it is OK for someone to be named Adolf Hitler. You are an Adolf Hitler fan, judging from your avatar.
I personally have no problem with it, it is called FREEDOM!

SigmaSD
12-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I still find it odd that you don't think it is OK for someone to be named Adolf Hitler. You are an Adolf Hitler fan, judging from your avatar.

I also find no problem with the name, but I really don't think that's the central issue. These people believe that the store shoul've granted their request, when in reality, the store had full right to negate their offer. That's where he problem lies. The store found it offensive, and it was their right not to comply. But these people keep pushing the fact that the store was the one at fault in this whole issue. I would actually do the same thing if I was in their shoes. If someone came up to me and told me they wanted a cake with a KKK sign, and a lynch scene, I would refuse that service.

Dragon Ranger
12-22-2008, 12:28 AM
that was like people spazzing about having the letters wtf on there license plate

The Governator
12-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm, seeming as I am a Neo-Communist, can I call my child Mao Zedong Fisher?

But seriously, that kid will hate and/or murder his parents in the future, after all the bullying and beatings he will get at public school.

Ollie
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Has it not occured to you that maybe his avatar is mocking Hitler, not celebrating him?

Tasuke
12-22-2008, 02:31 PM
GOODNESS, this thread is crazy!!:wacko:

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM

I have no problem with a choice to name yourself Hitler. I am not against choice, what I am against is forcing a stupid name on your child because you are a Neo-Nazi who wants to play the victim card. Children are not the property of their parents, and they shouldn't be used as a goofy political statement. Especially in such a way that will cause the children problems. The name "Adolf Hitler Campbell" is not what is best for their child. Of course he's not even the focus of this story, his Inbred Suburban Mutant SS Parents are.

Also, I am not a "Hitler Fan". I have about 3 separate reasons for my avatar, none of which is endorsing Nazism in general or Hitler in particular.

BestFly
12-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Hay guys. I'm gonna name my future kid George Washington. Obviously hes going to be incredibly popular and a war hero and everything. Because his name is George Washington of course.

Ugh but If my name was Adolf Hitler, I'd sue my parents, and request the government for a name change. I'd probably file things like hate crimes etc too against various people. Because I'd be one angry guy because people are stupid.