PDA

View Full Version : would it be completely wrong?

teddytechno.
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I have glasses and i want to cosplay as a character who does not have glasses.. would it be wrong of me to wear glasses with the outfit anyways?:sofa:

Ultimate Seed
12-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I dont think it would be to wrong at all. Although u might wana cosplay as a character who does have glasses or as an alternative there is always eye contacts that only last like 1 day that are really cheap so that is a possibily as well.

But im quite sure that even with glasses the over all affect wont be ruined.

I mean when people see someone cosplaying they usually react to the simularaties like WOW that looks like my fav anime character, or something like that. They wont really be thinking bout whats off..as long as the anitial direction is there.

CapnJack
12-18-2008, 03:45 AM
Hm, maybe if you had glasses with smaller/narrow lenses with a thin clear frame; or have a pair with the lens connected to only the side wires, it could be done. If not theres always charaters like Yomiko Readman (R.O.D.). Wait... thats assuming your a girl. O.o? Some one once suggested to me that I could dress as Captain Aisen (Bleach). I could maybe do it, but Id have to cut my long hair. *Im a guy* Not really into the think black frame glasses look though.

But in my opinon, if your the kind that really want to bring your cosplay character to life, people do notice the glasses and could look off depending on who critics it. Sorry, for being a little blunt though.

Theres always Miyuki from Lucky Star. That would get some attention. :3
Again, thats if Im assuming correctly your female. If not, uh... so sorry.

White_Fang
12-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Well, it wouldn't be wrong, but it would be inaccurate. If you do view cosplay that importantly as a hobby as other cosplayers, i suggest not wearing your specs or go get contact lenses. You can also cosplay as other characters with spectacles, too. People DO see what's out of your costume, things that shouldn't be there, so yeah.

Though if you're just lightweight, well you can try... though i don't encourage it.

wowzabunny
12-18-2008, 06:41 AM
It would mess up the charector and you wouldnt look like him/her at all unless u have clear glasses that arent very noticeable

TrucyTrucy
01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Ack, this is a problem I face, as well. I can't afford contacts either. DX
But yeah, if you don't have contacts, try thin-framed glasses. You don't always have to try to cosplay characters with glasses, that sort of limits your choices.

JIMBO.
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
my ex did sakura in a cosplay that dont fit, like anyone was looking at her glasses
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/jimbo8472/thecon.jpg

Warusenai
01-31-2009, 12:31 PM
i cosplay monkey d. luffy and i wear my glasses cause otherwise...i can't see at all. i just take them off for photoshoots. who do you wanna cosplay as? part of whether it'll stick out too much or not depends on who the character is. some characters yeah you shouldn't wear glasses with..others it's ok. i'm very serious about my cosplay but i'm also very serious about being able to see infront of me more than 6inches...i don't want to trip on a sleeping ace that i couldn't see cause i was blinded with no glasses. i had contacts but they're prescription is wrong and my options with my insurance were get new frames (my old ones were breaking) or update my contacts....i chose the frames. plus they tended to dry out a lot for me and it made me feel really tired a lot...and i don't wanna feel tired at an anime convention.

HikariKain
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
It's fun to mess with cosplays xD
Like my friend, whose black, and went to a con as Roxas. =D it was great. Though, admittedly, glasses are alot more removable that skin color.

It's not wrong... just, when your walking from panel-to-panel, remember all those hardcore fans that cosplay as neji & hinata and are willing to wear contacts that completely cover their pupils, rendering them blind =D

honestly, this is a kinda personal choice...

A fun idea is to make up a story to go along with anything that's missing from your cosplay...

Dr. Hax
02-01-2009, 03:48 PM
The thing with my outfit is that I cosplay Tohno Shiki from Tsukihime but with the glasses off, I can cosplay Nanaya Shiki

Tohno Shiki (Adopted into the Tohno Family. Main protagonist in Tsukihime)

http://meltyblood.honmaru.pl/img/Shiki_Tohno.jpg

Nanaya Shiki

http://meltyblood.honmaru.pl/img/Shiki_Nanaya.jpg

That is, if you're a guy of course (or unless you prefer crossplay)

Tohno Shiki (Biological brother to Tohno Akiha. One of Michael Roa Valdamjong's forms.)

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/arka_voltchek/perso/shikit_copiep.png

Ryogi Shiki (Protagonist of Kara no Kyoukai. Not related to Tohno shiki in the least bit)

http://moetron.com/newfiles/dec_2006ab12_resize.jpg

Qoo
02-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Responses here are pretty much the answer. It really depends. If you're planning on viewing cosplay as a professional hobby and want to actually get noticed as an accurate cosplayer, then even the most simple flaw like wearing glasses with a non-glasses characters could be a detriment. But still, who says you can't just remove your glasses when someone wants to take a picture of you? :'D Or, you could use contacts.

But if you're just cosplaying for fun and don't really care about the pictures and all of that, then glasses or not, it doesn't really matter if the rest of your cosplay is adequate =)

Which character were you thinking of cosplaying as?

Teddy2116
02-04-2009, 06:22 AM
nah it wouldn't be wrong... you might have to talk your way out of some repeated questions but if you can stick it out it should be fine

Wolf_of_the_Rose
02-04-2009, 06:35 AM
try getting glasses that go along with the cosplay.... if not get contacts or like some other ppl suggested, clear glasses.... er... ones without colored rims....