PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a REALLY unique anime....

Codename_Noir
12-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Well I don't want this to become a annoying reccomendation thread but I really want to watch an anime that really really sticks with you and has the most fantastic of worlds. And I figured I would definitly find that reccomendation here ^.^.
I like pretty much anything you throw at me lol. I like stuff like GITS, Elfen Lied, Noir, High School Girls....Basically something of every genre. I want something that sticks with you and when you see the world and art it is set in and has you get lost in it. So yeah I'm looking for something breathtaking!
Sorry to go on and sorry if this is in the wrong place :)

wowzabunny
12-16-2008, 03:58 PM
OK
i dont know what you have watched but
Naruto, WOW I think about the story everyday
It is deffintley my fave Anime. I thought it looked really stupid But it is really a master piece. the music plays a huge role in the anime the music really matches it. Naruto is funny, full of action and just amazing

Codename_Noir
12-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I've watched...

Wolf's Rain (Didn't like it)
Bleach (Didn't like it)
Elfen Lied (Loved it)
Noir( Loved It)
Scrapped Princess (Didn't remotely interest me)
High School Girls (LOVE IT!)
GITS (Love it)
Ah! My Goddess (Found it enjoyable)
Inuyasha (too long)
Naruto( Liked it but just not quite the thing I was looking for, enjoyable but a little too long lol)
Cowboy Bebop(It was ok)
Vision Of Escaflowne (seen the first episode but never got to watch it again)
Martian Successor Nadesico (I really liked it but stopped after the first three episodes because of busy schedule)

That's just to give you the jist of what I want lol. I know I sound perhaps demanding but ya know.....0.o lol.

And I'm looking for a show so movies wont be nessecary to state *Cheers*

Diocletian
12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Did you sir just recommend stuff that isn't unique?
Goku Midnight Eye (if you can find a copy on ebay)
Mad Bull 34
Futakoi Alternative
Bartender

Codename_Noir
12-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I guess by unique I just meant breathtaking, like not crappy stuff ya know :).
Hmmm thanks I'll look at some stuff on those now! :D

VampireSlayerD
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Beck is a realy good anime not many people know about, They dont know about it because it's mainly about music and guitar.But if in fact you love music and guitar you will love beck.

SigmaSD
12-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Code Geass is a really good anime. Ruroni Kenshin is also pretty good. You can also check out Fate/ Stay Night or Witchblade.

Codename_Noir
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I LOVE the comics of Witchblade and the live action show. I was just never to sure about the anime. Code Geass has also been one that I have considered in the past possdibly because of something in NEO mag.

Hamashimura
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Unique...well,then,let's go to some psychology stuff...
If you liked Escaflowne,I say,go for Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon...I like RahXephon more,it's 2nd place in my favorite list...both are mecha shows...

Then,I highly reccomend you Monster...If you liked Noir,you will definitely love Monster...it's one of the rare kind that is running on the edge of reality...it tells a story of Dr.Tenma,who had everything,and lost everything when he chosed to save the kid that recieved a gun shot through his head...
Little though he knew about near future when that kid becomes.....spoiler..?
Nah,I don't like to spoil much...anyhow,it's based around theory of perfect human being - blue hair,blue eyes,beautiful face and ice-cold blood...
It's a thriller series,truly unique,I could never find anything similar to that...

Gilgamesh...psychological intrigue on deepest level...believe me...I can't explain without spoiling,so you'll have to see it for yourself...

Don't worry,I'm not gonna attack you with plenty of shows...
So,these are for psychological...now for the comedy/romance:

Air...hmmm...Air...well,it is bloody sad...It's one of those sad and heartwarming series,which truly left me breathless...

Tokimeki Memorial...comedy,comedy and comedy...I really enjoyed in it,on of the finest comedies I've seen,by overall look...it has everything,slice of life,romance,comedy,a bit of ecchi,etc. Beautiful characters,good plot and much comedy scenes are making this one truly worth watching...

H2O ~ Footprints in the Sand...Not sure what I could say about this one...hmm...well,it's somewhat psychological,with romance and slice of life...something like that...I'm not too sure about the genre tho...has beautiful art...

Slayers...despite being old as it is,it's still one of my favorite fantasy shows...battles are nicely pulled out for that time,and it's truly humorous...designs are nothing compared to nowadays show,but it was quite a masterpiece back then...effects are good,storyline is standard for old times (good vs. evil),but is spiced with much more than that...overall,a great show,truly worth watching (except Lost Universe season,I dislike it)...
Same goes for Saber Marionette series...

Aside all those genres,I advice you to check Full Metal Alchemist...it is a story based on two brothers that tried to ressurect their dear mother from dead with alchemy,and they failed...One borther lost leg and arm,and second lost his whole body (only soul remained)...Overall plot is amazing,involves absolutely everything,political and religious discussions,millitary,seven deadly sins,fantasy and such...
Overal amazing show,and I can't wait for 2nd season to be out...First season finishes with movie (movie is continuation to series),and there is second season announced to be in progress...Dunno if they'll create a sequel,or just some new story...

I should stop now...there a whole bunch of shows,but I don't really know what type you prefere to watch,so I stated few genres...If you need some more advices,feel free to ask,and state the type you're asking for...otherwise,you'll get a MASSIVE reply from me *sweatdrop*

Codename_Noir
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Lol thanks! AIR you say? I've been thinking of checking that out for AGES!. Hmmm I think I'm gonna give that a go next. I also need to check out Eva seeing as it's the anime >.<.
I'm basically searching lovely like AIR so thanks for giving me the push to finally give it a go!. Oh I'd forgotten about FMA. I'd seen a few on AC in the UK and enjoyed it! XD

Tasuke
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Ai Yori Aoshi
Steel Angel Kurumi
Chobits
Tenchi Muyo
Macross/ROBOTECH
Macross DRYL
Macross II
Macross Plus

a solid A-list to get you stated on. trust me, this stuff is MASTERPIECE THEATER all the way...

Kojack
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I've never come across anything like Hellsing. School Rumble as well (well, School Rumble is a high school anime but it's the funniest I've seen).

Also, The Big O. It's Batman with robots, and very good.

Hamashimura
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Lol thanks! AIR you say? I've been thinking of checking that out for AGES!. Hmmm I think I'm gonna give that a go next. I also need to check out Eva seeing as it's the anime >.<.
I'm basically searching lovely like AIR so thanks for giving me the push to finally give it a go!. Oh I'd forgotten about FMA. I'd seen a few on AC in the UK and enjoyed it! XD

Lovely ones you say..nice taste ^^
So then,let me provide you with some of those I find worth mentioning...
Some of these might be interesting,tho I'm not saying that you'll definitely like it,but it's worth to give it a try...also note that some contain qualifications to be placed under ecchi,but it's fine:

~ Clannad
~ Kanon (newer)
~ Shinigami no Ballad
~ Elemental Gelade
~ Karin
~ Negima
~ Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
~ EF ~ A Tale of Memories
~ EF ~ A Tale of Melodies (ongoing)
~ H20 ~ Footprints in the Sand
~ Seto No Hanayome
~ Kaze no Stigma
~ Sumomomo Momomo
~ D.N.Angel
~ Rosario to Vampire
~ Lovely Complex
~ Honey and Clover
~ Yume de Aetara (aka If I See You in my Dreams)
~ Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
~ Aoi Yori Aoishi
~ Please Twins!
~ Kare Kano (aka His and Her Circumstances)

EDIT (forgot these)
~ Shuffle
~ Tokimeki Memorial
~ School Days
~ Myself Yourself
~ Green Green
~ Kamen no Maid Guy
~ Chobits

If you need general information about them,you can get it from animenewsnetwork,you can see rating there,and general information about the show...

LOL !!
This will keep you busy for a while...if you need something more,feel free to ask,I'll most likely have answer for anything regarding anime...
Just ask here or drop me a PM ^^
See ya around...

I LOVE the comics of Witchblade and the live action show. I was just never to sure about the anime. Code Geass has also been one that I have considered in the past possdibly because of something in NEO mag.

Manga rocks...Anime = failure...

loveyourfate
12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I think unique would be The melancholy of suzumiya haruhi (suzumiya haruhi no yuutsu). Also, there aren't many like lucky star and azumanga daioh.

Tsuki.
12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
uhm, I well, for romance and stuff, Fullmoon Wo Sagashite. I perfer the manga, but the anime is okay as well.
And, Fushigi Yugi. It isn't exactly unique, but I love the characters, and the storyline is pretty good. I don't know if you'll think it's too long, but I suggest it to you.
Tsubasa. I love this one. The storyline (to me) is great, and the darker side is very much enjoyable.
D-Gray Man. I really like this one, and it's different from others.

oh, and InuYasha is a lot better without all the fillers.

leingod
12-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Screw all the mainstream stuff:

Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji

/end thread

daft
12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Check out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it's definitely entertaining.

jnLL
12-17-2008, 07:06 PM
i'm thinking that you might like AIR. it's very sad though. it made me cry. and chrno crusade is one of my choices. ( not sure if you'll like it, though )

simmering-tofu
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Wallflower (Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge) also known as Perfect Girl Revolution, it's based in the real world but the main character is really interesting. =]

Teddy2116
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
eureka 7 or rahexphon i think something like that would help ya out

StabWound
02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I really want to watch an anime that really really sticks with you and has the most fantastic of worlds.

I want something that sticks with you and when you see the world and art it is set in and has you get lost in it. So yeah I'm looking for something breathtaking!
Mushishi is the very definition of these things.

_Freddie_
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I've just finished reading 'Welcome to the N.H.K' which I thought was extremely good. I'm going to start watch the anime soon.

TacticianMark
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
hmmm... I don't think I saw anyone mention this, but you should watch the legendary classic: Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind. It's a beautiful anime film, despite it's age (The movie won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize in 1984, if you want a hint to how old it is). I personally prefer the Manga, as it expands further on the plot than the film, but either would do nicely.
If you want something more leaning towards comedy, then as someone else also suggested, watch Full Metal Panic-Fumoffu.
If you're leaning more towards mystery/horror, I'd say MONSTER would be ideal.
Also, I refuse to consider anyone a true anime fan until they've experienced Neon Genesis Evangelion. XD
And you should really try finishing The Vision of Escaflowne; that had an excellent story, despite the shortness of the series. (Fox Kids killed it with the dubs though >_>)

little miss sunshine
02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Code Geass is a really good anime. Ruroni Kenshin is also pretty good. You can also check out Fate/ Stay Night or Witchblade.

Wooohooo for Code Geass fans!
I found that anime to be particularly impactful when it comes to leaving a good impression.
It's art is very captivating with the vivid colours used and beautifully designed characters that make the whole thing a fantastic watch.
Lelouch i one particular character that is awe-worthy, you have to watch it to understand how he thinks. Amazing guy.
The soundtrack is also great in pulling an audience into the world it's set in.

Some other noteworthy ones are Chrno Crusade, Evangelion, Fruits Basket, Get Backers, Ouran High School Host Club....
Just to name a few.
=)

Princely Dreaming Doll
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Noien and Earth Girl Arjuna.

X 1999 as well.

The best I would say.

Datenshi
02-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Fooly Cooly. It's very... unique.

AnimeGirlX95
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Well I have a pretty long list of animes and mangas that I like.

Naruto shippuden
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Eureka 7
The Melancholy of Haruhi suzumiya
InuYasha
Yu Yu Hakusho
Tokyo Mew Mew
Fruits Basket
Vampire Knight
Chibi Vampire (Karin) (Note: The Manga is better than the anime)
Death Note
Ouran High School Host Club
Fullmetal Panic
Code Geass
Blood+
Trigun
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Fate/stay night
Tsubasa Chronicle
Samurai Champloo
xxxHolic
Hellsing
Shugo Chara!
Gundam (Wing, Seed, ect.)
.hack// Sign
Shakugan no Shana
Trinity Blood
Air Gear
Azumanga Daioh
Lucky Star
Black Cat
and Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann!I hope my really long list helps you and other people who read this thread. :laugh:

Senjou_Akira
02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
X 1999 or X: An Omen (their just the same)

SHUGO CHARA TOO!