PDA

View Full Version : Spicy food remedies

Anya_Hitsugaya
12-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Spicy foods are the best but has we all know, sometimes our taste buds say outch. So what are your remedies to relief your mouth from the heating sensation.

For me it is milk. Works like a charm

DOOM!
12-13-2008, 05:56 AM
For me, it was running to the bicycle and doing countless laps around the house with my tongue stuck out. It helped. I don't think there's any better remedy.

suzumi
12-13-2008, 07:01 AM
I've heard that eating bread helps... It's never worked with me though.

I say; Let it burn!! ^^

.Lovebeat
12-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Milk, cold water or ice-cream.

Souhi
12-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Cold glass of milk and a piece of dry bread is best. Yogurt works well too.

Kojack
12-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Milk or anything with milk in it. I remember Bill Nye telling me it does the best job of removing the spicy particles from your taste buds (or something like that).

Eris
12-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Why would you want to remedy that? It's why spicy food is so good. If you don't want your food to be spicy, don't eat spicy food.

Yuuki Kurosu
12-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I gulp down some milk or soda. That or I eat some bread.
But normally, nothing helps much. xD
I guess that is just me. I love spicy food. ~:3 Hehe.

Brewmaster
12-13-2008, 10:33 AM
My advice would be to take a glass of ice cold coke.That will solve it. :]

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Why would you want to remedy that? It's why spicy food is so good. If you don't want your food to be spicy, don't eat spicy food.
If you haven't gotten to the point that you're mouth is so saturated with capsaicin that you have to stop eating and cry in a corner somewhere, you aren't doing it right. A pepperhead is the guy who comes back and does it again.

Anyway, ignore everyone else:

Capsaicin is the active ingredient of peppers. It's an oil, so it is not water soluble. Water won't do much.

Milk is often suggested by people, but in my experience it's pretty weak at providing relief. Soda seems to work alright, albeit weakly. I personally suggest a shot of lemon juice, as Capsiacin is soluble in acids. I've heard alcohol works too, but I've never bothered to try.

Also: Bread does nothing, except for maybe settle your stomach.

Yuuki Kurosu
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Milk is often suggested by people, but in my experience it's pretty weak at providing relief. Soda seems to work alright, albeit weakly. I personally suggest a shot of lemon juice, as Capsiacin is soluble in acids. I've heard alcohol works too, but I've never bothered to try.

Also: Bread does nothing, except for maybe settle your stomach.
Lol I have heard about the lemon juice thing. I haven't it, so I wouldn't know. But I'd think that it would sort of upset your stomach.. Ah well, won't know until I try. xD Lol.

Lord Fluff
12-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Milk does work, but you don't swallow it, you swirl it in your mouth then spit it out.

And I think I'll try the lemon juice idea next time.

Eris
12-13-2008, 12:30 PM
If you haven't gotten to the point that you're mouth is so saturated with capsaicin that you have to stop eating and cry in a corner somewhere, you aren't doing it right. A pepperhead is the guy who comes back and does it again.

Nah, I'm just naturally good at disassociating ungodly amounts of pain. I can go from feeling pain to being aware of the pain on a more abstract level.

From a chemical standpoint, milk makes sense because it has molecules that both bind to fat and water. They can make normally hydrophobic capsaicin bind to water allowing the milk to flush them away.

DOOM!
12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
My advice would be to take a glass of ice cold coke.That will solve it. :]
Ignore this Publicity Machine. Also, drinking ice cold soda beverages is the sane as drinking them boiling hot, to stomping capsaicin. Carbonic acid doesn't help much. I, and a few other expert pepperheads came to agree it only makes matters worse.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Ignore this Publicity Machine. Also, drinking ice cold soda beverages is the sane as drinking them boiling hot, to stomping capsaicin. Carbonic acid doesn't help much. I, and a few other expert pepperheads came to agree it only makes matters worse.
Anything Ice Cold will briefly negate the burning sensation. Soda is more effective then water because it's slightly acidic but less so then, say, milk.

-akichan-
12-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Milk actually does work, even if you ate garlic, drinking milk helps to reduce the bad breath.

I usually don't eat or drink remedies after spoicy food, because I'm used to extremely spicy food that I can't even taste spices anymore, as I add more spicy into it, it's all building up.

Orcius
12-13-2008, 03:02 PM
i have a remedy that everyone will love. just keep eatin spicy food. after a while your tounge just turns numb and you cant feel anything anymore.:)

DOOM!
12-13-2008, 04:40 PM
i have a remedy that everyone will love. just keep eatin spicy food. after a while your tounge just turns numb and you cant feel anything anymore.:)
There's no saturation point to it. Eating spicy won't keep you from tasting anymore, but extensively eating it may:
dazzle your vision; impede your hearing; affect your reasoning; put you in touch with God; and in some territories, can get you legally arrested.
When mucus from my nose starts dropping on the plate, I usually stop, for posterity's sake.

Anything Ice Cold will briefly negate the burning sensation. Soda is more effective then water because it's slightly acidic but less so then, say, milk.
Ice Cold may negate the burning, but won't make it any less painful, same goes for fire scorches. I'm not a milky-sissy kind of guy, so I'll just go with Lemon Juice.
But what i would really like to hear is: upon eating excessive spicy food, what could one use to ease the production of the resulting bricks?

Khanxay
12-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I usually drink soy milk after a good meal (Bamboo soup with maybe a dozen Thai peppers in it), dunno about it helping though. I just like soymilk. Carbonated drinks never seem to help me...

DOOM!
12-13-2008, 05:20 PM
I usually drink soy milk after a good meal (Bamboo soup with maybe a dozen Thai peppers in it), dunno about it helping though. I just like soymilk. Carbonated drinks never seem to help me...
Eating rice must make you Super Japanese or something...

Khanxay
12-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Super Japanese? No thanks. I'll stay Lao.

Gjallarhorn
12-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Milk works best in my experience. Generally whole milk will be better than 2%, and 2% will be better than 1%.

If you're going to go with soda, dark sodas such as Pepsi or coke work better. In me experience, lighter sodas (orange, lemon-lime, citrus, etc) tend to make things worse.

And as stated above, water will do almost nothing.

LexxieLuu
12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Ya I think Milk or Orange juice helps for me but I HATE spicy foods so I don't have spicy food that often ^^.

Haoie
12-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Best remedy is not eating them in the first place. It's what I do.

MoroDashi
12-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Uh.. I just drink soda or water : )

Kazuma Kuwabara
12-14-2008, 12:10 AM
The solution is more spicy foods, your taste buds will get weaker and you won't be in so much pain next time.

Cantelope
12-14-2008, 12:44 AM
But what i would really like to hear is: upon eating excessive spicy food, what could one use to ease the production of the resulting bricks?
I echo this.

Sakura Holic
12-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Of course anything with dairy helps.

Water just spreads it around.
Then again, I never really needed water nor dairy because I like spicy foods. =P

Meyrin
12-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Spicy foods are the best but has we all know, sometimes our taste buds say outch. So what are your remedies to relief your mouth from the heating sensation.

For me it is milk. Works like a charm

This reminds me of an episode of MythBusters. The only thing that really worked was milk and the worst was petroleum jelly. Seriously you would have to be insane to try petroleum jelly, that is just discusting. Alcohol did not do any better but to increase the burning sensation so best stay with milk or just stay away from spicy foods.

DOOM!
12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
This reminds me of an episode of MythBusters. The only thing that really worked was milk and the worst was petroleum jelly. Seriously you would have to be insane to try petroleum jelly, that is just discusting. Alcohol did not do any better but to increase the burning sensation so best stay with milk or just stay away from spicy foods.
You don't need the Discovery Channel to know what's the deadliest combination.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYVY-5Vt_k

Ramona Flowers
12-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Well I love anything that'll burn my tastebuds off so the pain is half the fun, but milk and yogurt helps those who are not MAN ENOUGH.

Khanxay
12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Best remedy is not eating them in the first place. It's what I do.
In my house, you would almost starve since everything has peppers in it.

Meyrin
12-14-2008, 06:19 PM

I just love to watch MythBusters. Not to learn stuff, just for the eck of it

~Mithrosent~
12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Bread, or milk. Never soda -.-;

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Petroleum Jelly is for topical use only. If any of them were stupid enough to actually stick it in their mouth, the show should be renamed "Jackass: Uninteresting Edition" effective immediately.

Diocletian
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Weeping always helps. Weep like a man whose wife cheated on him.

Sakura Holic
12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Lawlz. That was funny. XD

Makes me wanna try now.

Beezer
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
i like food spicy and usually bread helps take away the heat. I remember in high school a girl brought in some super hot tiny yellow peppers. me and my friend ate em at the beginning of english class and were dying until class was over. My mouth was so hot and I was so desperate I ended up eating 1/2 a page from my notebook trying to cool my mouth. Oh the good ol days.

Sakura Holic
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Beezer: Reminds me of that fateful day where me and my friend Janis went to this really expensive Japanese restaurant. We ordered 3 sauce dish scoops of fresh wasabi and we challenged each other to see who had to reach the water to drink first. Unfortunately, the lady was busy and by the time we got the wasabi, we were both fresh out of water. We had to drink soy sauce and take up ice and the left over foods to try and tame it. My tongue wasnt burnt but my nose was. I couldnt stop sneezing and that hurts when I do. XD

Baka
12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
I like it to burn. That's why I eat spicy foods.