PDA

View Full Version : What's your screensaver?

DOOM!
12-11-2008, 04:03 PM
You know, that useless application that you installed last year from a dubious site, that starts playing 5 minutes after you've gone in the kitchen to get some more peanutbutter, and makes your computer recover slowly, or even crash it.
I couldn't find any good, FREE screensavers on the inter nets, so I'm using the standard 3D Tubes screensaver, to remind me that everything is just a series of tubes, and everyone is connected.
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2391/ur4jhiurtrtjici0.jpg

SigmaSD
12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I have the aquarium one. It's very calming, but it takes forever to get back to whatever I was doing, because it's so slow.

Eris
12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I use no screensaver. Instead, I turn off the screen when I'm not using it.

LexxieLuu
12-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Trippie dots that turn different colours and get burly then get really clear. It's fun to watch.

niKopol
12-11-2008, 05:00 PM

Same. But screen savers are mostly meant for old moniters so that images were not burnt into the glass screen. Gotta love CRTs.

FluffyDango
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
That standard win xp one, the one with the logo floating around on the screen :P
But if I`m going to be away for a long time I turn off the screen.

Eris
12-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Same. But screen savers are mostly meant for old moniters so that images were not burnt into the glass screen. Gotta love CRTs.

Are you calling my monitor old just because it's a CRT? LCDs will never have as good a picture as CRTs. And they will always be flimsy and have dead pixels. Besides, I don't trust technology I can't explain how it works. CRTs are easy, but LCDs are beyond me.

niKopol
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Are you calling my monitor old just because it's a CRT? LCDs will never have as good a picture as CRTs. And they will always be flimsy and have dead pixels. Besides, I don't trust technology I can't explain how it works. CRTs are easy, but LCDs are beyond me.

Just be thankful that the creator of CRTs put in a glass sheet instead of having the images shot directly into your eye o' seeing one. CRTs are better and last longer.

The only reason I have an LCD is so that I have tons of extra room on my desk. Though I've had to replace burnt out capacitors twice over the span of 6 years. God knows that would have costed a fortune at a repair center.

overwatch
12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Well I do a fair bit of photography so I have my screensaver set to the traditional scrolling images and set its root file to my photos folder. Worst part is when it shows up a shot that looks really good that I know I have not processed - then I spend ages searching for it! (and yes digital photos need processing - RAW FTW)

Tell me about it - ever tried colour calibrating an LCD - its neigh on impossible unless you have a top of the range one (otherwise you get that brightness and contrast change as your angle of view alters)
Also apparently LCDs give of radiation which can be detected by a tiny sensor in a room and then reconstructed back into the image shown on the screen - no cameras, just a tiny sensor!
>>>>
<<<<

Eris
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Just be thankful that the creator of CRTs put in a glass sheet instead of having the images shot directly into your eye o' seeing one. CRTs are better and last longer.

The primary reason there is a glass screen in front of the CRT is that it is basically a big electron cannon aimed at your face that essentially acts as one big X-ray tube. The thick leaded glass absorbs the beta radiation and X-rays so that it is possible to sit in front of a CRT without suffering fatal radiation poisoning.

overwatch
12-11-2008, 05:36 PM
See that is why kids never learn stuff - they never say interesting things like - Electron Canon in you TV - to kids at school!

course it might spark some dangerous ideas in some of the adventurous kids...

Diocletian
12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Some old Tokko one I downloaded. Screen savers do take up energy. My battery has gone from 78% to 50% in the ten minutes I was gone.

-Kitsune-
12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I kinda don't have one, after five minutes my laptop just goes into sleep mode with a boring, plain black screen.

Eris
12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
See that is why kids never learn stuff - they never say interesting things like - Electron Canon in you TV - to kids at school!

Heh, the reason we don't tell kids about electron cannons is probably how dangerous they are. There's the high voltage, the beta radiation, the X-rays, the risk of implosion. Plenty of ways to drastically reduce your life expectancy. And knowing kids, there is nothing alluring than when you tell them there is something extremely dangerous that they should stay the hell away from.

*Tsuki*
12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I just have a slideshow of all of my pictures on my computer.

Archaic Devices
12-11-2008, 06:30 PM
My screensaver is of Kingdom Hearts but the picture of it changes every 30 seconds. You dig?

Eris
12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
I just have a slideshow of all of my pictures on my computer.

Doesn't that embarrass people who walk by? I have enough disturbing pictures in my computer to scar people for life. I'm gonna be so rich (http://xkcd.com/512/).

Daken.
12-11-2008, 06:47 PM
uhh my screen just turns black lol

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
It turns the monitor off instead.

suzumi
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Same here. I don't like screensavers. >_<

Bulf
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I dont use screensavers. If you're watching something on Youtube, or anywhere online, your Screensaver might interrupt it. ):

Light Buster
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM
I use ' My Picture Slideshow' (that's what it's called) from my MSPR Photo folder.

Yuuki Kurosu
12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't have a screensaver anymore.
But when I did, it was like a little stream with leaves floating down it. Lol.

Balance
12-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Same here. I don't like screensavers. >_<

I dont use screensavers. If you're watching something on Youtube, or anywhere online, your Screensaver might interrupt it. ):
I really just don't care much about screensavers.
So I have none.
If I'm not using my computer but will return, I will simply turn off the monitor.

And yeah, it does get annoying when a screensaver interrupts something you are doing.

Beast
12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't use a screen saver, I just turn off the monitor. Actually give it a rest.

sa5m
12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't have one. D= Ever since I got this virus, I haven't been able to have screensavers. Weeeird.

.Lovebeat
12-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't have a screensaver, my screen goes blank after 30 minutes or something. I used to have some cool anime or Final Fantasy screensaver but I kind of got over it. They are useless anyway.

Drifter Uk
12-13-2008, 06:02 PM
i have the most awesome screensaver. i accidentally deleted the file that had it on, so now my screensaver is a small grey error message.
cant remember exactly what it says...

Perpetual Specter
12-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Mine is just the starfield one in Windows, but with the settings adjusted to have the maximum amount of stars and maximum speed.

demonplight
12-13-2008, 07:08 PM
i don't have one. my comp just goes into stand by.

MoroDashi
12-13-2008, 09:11 PM
My screensaver is the boring old Windows XP floating logo : D