PDA

View Full Version : hey guys i need some clarification

Lector
12-06-2008, 10:38 PM
say, does this "i love you jessica" or, if not, what does it say and what should it say to mean "i love you jessica"? 私はあなたの愛はジェシカ

this is from a bet a friend has with me. thanks guys

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Did you use a translator or something o____O?

Just say 愛してる。

Or if you want to be formal, say あなたを愛してる。

aishiteru333
12-06-2008, 11:55 PM

Just say 愛してる。

Would the highlighted part be redundant since, I have come to believe, aishiteru already means I love you. Therefore, anata would be pointless and repetitive. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Lector
12-07-2008, 01:59 AM

Just say 愛してる。

that's kinda what i told him, but he says his teacher says it means that, so i wanted to be sure. the bet is whoever is right buys the other a copy of The Force Unleashed. could it perhaps be some obscure gender specific way to say it or something?

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Would the highlighted part be redundant since, I have come to believe, aishiteru already means I love you. Therefore, anata would be pointless and repetitive. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

No, you can say that. The verb is 愛する, since it has する (to do), it gets conjugated the same way. It's really uncommon to say あなたを愛してる, you would most likely say 君が大好きだ. It's all a matter of formality.

Chocobo
12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
私はあなたの愛はジェシカ

This is impossible to say, for me, because there's two topic markers. The only times I've ever seen two は's in a sentence is when を appears before a negative ます or です. x_X;; besides that, my head will explode trying to literally translate that sentence.

as others have said, just use 愛してる. あなた is automatically assumed, but I guess you could put あなたを 愛してる.

愛してる...short and sweet.

aishiteru333
12-07-2008, 08:05 PM
No, you can say that. The verb is 愛する, since it has する (to do), it gets conjugated the same way. It's really uncommon to say あなたを愛してる, you would most likely say 君が大好きだ. It's all a matter of formality.

I figure 愛する is much easier.

This is impossible to say, for me, because there's two topic markers. The only times I've ever seen two は's in a sentence is when を appears before a negative ます or です. x_X;; besides that, my head will explode trying to literally translate that sentence.

as others have said, just use 愛してる. あなた is automatically assumed, but I guess you could put あなたを 愛してる.

愛してる...short and sweet.

Now I have another question...
I have heard it sometimes, when saying you, to be あなたは(wa) instead of あなたを. Why's this?
Also, the は and わ, does it matter which one is used?

Chocobo
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Now I have another question...
I have heard it sometimes, when saying you, to be あなたは(wa) instead of あなたを. Why's this?
Also, the は and わ, does it matter which one is used?

Sometimes you hear, let's say I don't eat bread.

with "WA" and "WO"
私は パンを 食べない

with "WA" and "WA"
私は パンは 食べない
[i]the second WA negates the object will be followed by a negative action. However, sensei really has never enforced this, so I've only used this once or twice. The only time I ever use it is in the "It's okay/not okay to do something".

It's okay to eat bread.
これは パンを 食べても 良いです。

It's not okay to eat bread.
これは パンを 食べては 良いではありません。

Now, secondly. Yes, it matters if you use わ opposed to は。

わ is the symbol with the "wah" phonetic attached to it. It's in words such as:
わたし、われわれ、わかる、わすび

は is the particle marker of the topic of the sentence, or what you're talking about. It's in sentences like, I am a Chocobo, This is my book, "On the other hand"
わたしはチョコボ、これはわたしのほん、われわれは

aishiteru333
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I see... Thanks!

Lector
12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
thanks guys