PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Wallpaper! (tell Me What U Think)

Deathscythe810
10-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Here it is. Plz post suggestions.

kadaan
10-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Nice wallpaper, it looks good even without a central focus. The background could use a little spice, something to add texture to it. Also maybe play around with putting some kind of border around the screenshots (something mechanical would fit perfectly).

ownerizer
10-27-2003, 03:46 PM
I think the text is a good start. The images on the side however, are low quality and not really any fun to look at.

MistressPookyChan
10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
the text is great; work with it! the images are okay if used correctly. I've seen people do that as part of the background (made it monotone and blended with the background) then added other stuff to go with it. maybe a space scene or something more trendy (i like the mechanical thing) or scratchy would be neat.

phantasmagoria
10-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Pretty neat and simple. But I agree with kadaan, you could probably put a boarder around the pictures to make them fit in a little better.

_hades the wicked
10-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Like already mentioned before, the text is really great, but the pictures weren't used well... Adding any kind of texture would just ruin the clean and nice simple feeling of that wallpaper, so please don't... Adding a border to the pics, making them monotone and adding little graphics like circles and crosshairs and things like that next to the pics would be a nice touch.

diablo111
10-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Not bad at all for a first wall...it lacks focus, but that isn't a bad thing in this case...keep it up!

Deathscythe810
10-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Alright, so I'll definitely keep the text. As for the pics, They were originally 1024x768, and I shrunk them down to 160x120 - 200x160 (by going to Photoshop - Image - Image Size). Is there a way to keep the quality of the pic while I also making it smaller?

Also, is there a command on Photoshop that lets you blend the pic into the background (like make a faded edge so it doesn't look so rough). I know I could just use the paintbrush if all else fails. Or better yet, could anyone tell me how to actually apply borders (or do I have to make them manually)?

Finally, would it be a good idea to add the specs for the Deathscythe (from the show) in small font? It would make it look like a data readout. If I do it, I was thinking in Arial white.

Thanks!

The Great Conspiracy
10-28-2003, 09:03 AM
There's a quite simple way to create a border around a photoshop-layer:
Just use layer > layer style > stroke ... in this menu you have a lot of options for simple borders. Layer options generally offer you cool effects that can easily be edited and removed.

If you want to create more sophisticated borders, I suggest you check out the "Alien Skin Splat" filter-collection.

If you resize images, be sure to choose bicubic resize (choosable in the resize-dialog). this resize mode works best in the most cases.

btw: I like your wallpaper!

ownerizer
10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by The Great Conspiracy@Oct 28 2003, 09:58 AM
There's a quite simple way to create a border around a photoshop-layer:
Just use layer > layer style > stroke ... in this menu you have a lot of options for simple borders. Layer options generally offer you cool effects that can easily be edited and removed.

If you want to create more sophisticated borders, I suggest you check out the "Alien Skin Splat" filter-collection.

If you resize images, be sure to choose bicubic resize (choosable in the resize-dialog). this resize mode works best in the most cases.

btw: I like your wallpaper!
Filters!? HAH! N00b.

_hades the wicked
10-28-2003, 09:35 PM
To make a border you can select the area you want to stroke and go edit > stroke. Also, to fade the pics you can use the feather selection command (ctrl + alt + d).

Zeorymer™
10-31-2003, 10:43 PM
Nice Wallpaper Bro!

11-01-2003, 12:43 PM
The images you chose are fine, but they are too blue and too magenta(red). I suggest messing with the levels. Make the green level a little more vibrant to balance out the colors.

Deathscythe810
11-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Thx for all the replys. Here is attempt #2:

(I dunno about the space scene in the back, may be a little too busy)

jumomo
11-03-2003, 09:49 AM
maybe a bit too empty ? only my opinion ...

acamori
11-03-2003, 11:06 AM
the sapce scene isn't too bad, i'd tone it down a little maybe. and the bg pic could use some touching up around the edges since they're a bit jagged and uneven. other than that it looks good to me.

Deathscythe810
11-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Is there an easy way to make the edges smoother?

kadaan
11-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Use the magic wand tool to select the empty space around the picture. Choose Selection -> Modify -> Expand, and make it like 3 pixels. Then do Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur.

That should select only the outer 3 pixels of the image and then only blur those, leaving the main part of the image the same.

(Those might not be the exact menu items to go to, I'm doing this from memory but they should be close).

Deathscythe810
11-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Alright. Here's the final. Not much changed, just cleaned it up a little.

strifehunter
11-07-2003, 09:23 PM
better than the previous one's!great job but i think the big robot picture is a bit blurry...can't really say but mostly...great job! :P

_hades the wicked
11-07-2003, 09:38 PM
I don't like the inverted Death Scythe... And the previous one looked better in my opinion.