PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do it the old-fashioned way anymore?

Archaic Devices
11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Well with the technology now a day everyone's probably thrown out their VCR or don't use it anymore. They all use DVDs, Blu-rays, etc. So anyone here ever use VCRs anymore? I just used one today to watch an old episode of Naruto and Zatch Bell I recorded.

Beezer
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't even own a VCR anymore. Last one I had broke a few years ago. I do have a bunch of VHS tapes (30+) laying around in storage but I don't know if they'll ever see the light of day.

Diocletian
11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
DVD's are old school, yet I still use them. Everyone uses Blu-Ray now. I also still use a DS and after the DSI, well it'll become another feather in the wind.

iGiraffe
11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
my dvd player doubles as a vcr. and half of my movies are in vhs form, so yeah i still use my vcr. i don't care how old they are, i still luvs them.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
In my room there are X devices that play Y.

X | Y
Cassette | 1
Radio | 2
VCR | 2
DVD | 5
Blu-Ray | 1
UMD | 1
CD | 7
Picture Files | 5
Video Files (not optical based) | 4
Audio Files (not optical based) | 4

Breaks down into

Clock Radio
Radio/Cassette/CD player
VCR
VCR/DVD combo
Computer (old)
Laptop (new)
PSP
PS2
PS3

My X-Box would be included but I never paid $19.99 for the remote. I still use everything but the cassette player and the old computer.

Pina Colada
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Seriously, these companies know what they're doing. Blu-Ray's becoming more popular, and eventually they'll stop making DVDs and everyone will be forced to buy Blu-Ray. However, I still have a VCR. I have so many old shows that I recorded on videocassette, as well as some classic movies (like Disney!) that I own on video and need my VCR for.

Beezer
11-22-2008, 04:02 PM
DVD's are old school, yet I still use them. Everyone uses Blu-Ray now. I also still use a DS and after the DSI, well it'll become another feather in the wind.

While I do love the look of blue-ray, I really think digital downloads are going to be the way of the future. With a few exceptions I can't see myself buying dvds when you can stream so many movies online (legally and illegally). I was at my friends streaming netflix movies on his 360 and it looked great and had no lag hiccups or anything.

sunnyside
11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
So "using the VCR" is what you call the old fashioned way these days huh?

No, I at least like to have the lights on.

Back on topic I mostly watch stuff online these days or recorded on my computers TV tuner.

SigmaSD
11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I own a VCR because most of my Jackie Chan movies are VHS. Plus, VHS videos are easier to use during a presentation. You don't have to go to scene selection, you could just pause it where you need to. Really helped me during speech class.

Diocletian
11-22-2008, 04:07 PM
While I do love the look of blue-ray, I really think digital downloads are going to be the way of the future. With a few exceptions I can't see myself buying dvds when you can stream so many movies online (legally and illegally). I was at my friends streaming netflix movies on his 360 and it looked great and had no lag hiccups or anything.

Yeah, but it's pretty expensive. I have quite the DVD collection in my home and it would be terrible to have to add Blu-Ray in. I try not to stream anything, but my hands get on the stuff sooner or later. I also don't find buying a convertor box so I can watch Bones and House in Hi-Def very important.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I own a VCR because most of my Jackie Chan movies are VHS. Plus, VHS videos are easier to use during a presentation. You don't have to go to scene selection, you could just pause it where you need to. Really helped me during speech class.
Umm... most DVD players have goto features where you can type in the exact time you want to go to. If not, the relevent point is almost always either just after or just before a chapter.

Tasuke
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
ya damn tootin!! i use this baby:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/JVCHR-S8000U.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/DSCF0237.jpg

the JVC HR-S8000U, a 1988 top of the line $1500.00 S-VHS masterwork that can be found on the bay for $100.00 or less and is among the very best VCRs ever made. with a beltless, PRO grade nigh-indestructible direct drive transport built out of heafty-gauge steel, advanced editing features such as AUDIO and VIDEO insert, Flying Erase heads, and a built-in digital effects suite, this is about the BEST way to enjoy the sunset years of the Video Cassette Recorder...

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/HR-S8000UDOORFIX5.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/DSCF0174.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/DSCF0174.jpg

Eris
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Seriously, these companies know what they're doing. Blu-Ray's becoming more popular, and eventually they'll stop making DVDs and everyone will be forced to buy Blu-Ray. However, I still have a VCR. I have so many old shows that I recorded on videocassette, as well as some classic movies (like Disney!) that I own on video and need my VCR for.

Of course. If they didn't keep making new incompatible formats all the time, we wouldn't be compelled to buy the same movies/records over and over and over again.

Renegade of Life
11-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I still have and use a VCR, though I am gradually capturing my remaining videos and converting them to DVDs or storing them as .AVI files on hard drive.

Also I still have a working 8-track in my room, and if that wasn't enough I actually still have an honest to god Record Player, along with an original STYX: Pieces of Eight album on Vinyl to play on it.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Of course. If they didn't keep making new incompatible formats all the time, we wouldn't be compelled to buy the same movies/records over and over and over again.
Tell that to George Lucas. He doesn't even need a new format to sell old stuff again.

Eris
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Tell that to George Lucas. He doesn't even need a new format to sell old stuff again.

But then he is so blatantly and incomprehensibly evil the Antichrist would blush. Or so the voices in my head tell me.

Beezer
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but it's pretty expensive. I have quite the DVD collection in my home and it would be terrible to have to add Blu-Ray in. I try not to stream anything, but my hands get on the stuff sooner or later. I also don't find buying a convertor box so I can watch Bones and House in Hi-Def very important.

Digital downloads aren't that expensive. Netflix starts at like 8.99 a month. I can't justify paying the money for a blueray player and the expensive dvds when a upconvert dvd player does almost as good as a job. Considering tvs and movie studios are gearing more towards 3D it doesn't seem to make sense to get blue-ray.

Tasuke
11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
an example of the HR-S8000U's image quality, using an S-VHS recording of the Anime "Hand Maid May"

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/HR-S8000UDIGITALFX.jpg

examples of the DIGITAL FX:

DIGITAL MEMORY with PICTURE in PICTURE:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/HR-S8000UDIGITALFX2.jpg

ZOOM-UP:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/HR-S8000UDIGITALFX5.jpg

DIGITAL MEMORY with SCREEN CHECKERING:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/JVC/HR-S8000UDIGITALFX4.jpg

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
an example of the HR-S8000U's image quality, using an S-VHS recording of the Anime "Hand Maid May"

[XBOX HUEG PHOTOS]

Protip: Pictures are a horrible way of proving screen quality, and nobody really cares anyway.

Mitchyru
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I dunno why Blueray is so popular....I partly don't know what it is. lolol.

Beezer
11-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I dunno why Blueray is so popular....I partly don't know what it is. lolol.

Blue-Ray is a sony backed dvd format for HD. It won out over HD-DVD and is the newest standard for HD movies. Basically dvds are 4.7GB and Blue-Rays are 50GB (iirc) so the movies aren't compressed into a tiny space, giving a much better quality picture.

Diocletian
11-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Protip: Pictures are a horrible way of proving screen quality, and nobody really cares anyway.

Nah. This guys posted the same pictures over and over again.

If you could add links or resize pictures or thumbnail 'em or just DELETE them, that would be great. My pretty damn fast internet is lagging for those posts I actually want to read.

Digital downloads aren't that expensive. Netflix starts at like 8.99 a month. I can't justify paying the money for a blueray player and the expensive dvds when a upconvert dvd player does almost as good as a job. Considering tvs and movie studios are gearing more towards 3D it doesn't seem to make sense to get blue-ray.

3D is actually pretty lame. I remember watching Spy Kids when I was six and even then I wasn't stupid enough to believe it.

Eris
11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
3D is actually pretty lame. I remeber watching Spy Kids when I was six and even then I wasn't stupid enough to believe it.

That depends on the technology. The 3D glasses type of 3D is lame, but real 3D displays that you don't need glasses to view is pretty cool. So is Star Wars-style holograms (volumetric displays).

Beezer
11-22-2008, 05:11 PM
yea the new 3D technology is going to be so you don't have to wear glasses to see. Its not going to be star wars type holograms yet but good quality 3D looks to be the next big thing.

Kazuma Kuwabara
11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
The title of this thread is misleading.

Tasuke
11-22-2008, 06:24 PM
The title of this thread is misleading.

exactly what i thought, i am embarrassed to admit...

Archaic Devices
11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't see how it's misleading o.o

Tasuke
11-22-2008, 07:37 PM
"Doing It" the "Old-Fashioned Way" think about that. if you truly are that innocent in your outlook, i most respectfully admire you for it...

Android 19-90
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
My idea of recording shows is still the VCR way. I'm so low tech!!
But hey, it's still efficient, so what the heck!

Twig Ee
11-22-2008, 09:22 PM
My VCR is still used to watch the videos we haven't bothered to get on DVD yet.

WE stopped using it for taping just a month ago when we got DVR.

Anime Forum
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
I still own a VCR but I don't use it anymore. My brother though is a horror movie fanatic so he loves to watch some of the really old horror films on the VCR. He also uses the dvd player when watching some. I used to use the VCR alot until my family got a dvd player of course.

MissAstaire
11-22-2008, 09:36 PM
My VCR is still used to watch the videos we haven't bothered to get on DVD yet.

WE stopped using it for taping just a month ago when we got DVR.

Same here. I don't really see any point in buying a movie AGAIN if the only difference is the one is VHS and the other is DVD. If the VCR breaks, buy another one, that way you don't have to buy all those same movies on a disc rather than tape.

We have a DVR, but it's TiVo-DirecTv so it has the "save to VHS" function. Pretty old school for a DVR.

jtdlives
11-22-2008, 10:18 PM
up until last month I was using my vcr to record shows off tv, but then we got the dvr and now it just sits their collecting dust.

Gizoku
11-22-2008, 11:21 PM
No throwing away this baby (VCR) for me. It plays my VHSs and I have a crap load of those memorable things.