PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about reggae music?

Azul
11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Please note that reggae music entails more than Bob Marley songs. I personally love roots reggae. Whatever mood you are in you can just put on a head phone or whatever and you are fine for the rest of the day.Dancehall music with all the bad words i just listen to once in a while mostly for the beat. Otherwise it's just a group of people peddling sex, cursing each other and trying to act hype. *Me no kill people ina brood daylite* Seriously what the hell? Mafrado you need help. The mental kind where they lock you up and throw away the key. Beenie man rules. You probabely don't even know what i'm talking about.

gadgetgirl16
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
i have listen to reggae music in some places, i think it's ok. but not my type of music tho.

Anime Forum
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
This thread should be in the J-pop/rock (and other music) section and as of reggae music, it is decent but I don't like it that much but I don't hate it either.

SigmaSD
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't mind it. It's not bad, but not the best either.

wordfarer
11-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I have heard some dark and dense reggae tracks; as a whole the genre seems to have a revolutionary theme (some change presented in a basic beat with rough vocals, and it always tries to rise and collect without ever reaching mainstream- just vibrates the idea of constant struggle).

Amarhyllis
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Ehhh...I don't like it. It all sounds the same to me...and it annoys me to hear it.

Not bashing or anything, just not my cup of tea.

Kazuma Kuwabara
11-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Ja, mon!

Fiery
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I know someone already said it, but it should be in J-Pop, not Misc. As for the topic, Reggae is one of the few genres I really don't like. But I really like Reggaeton. Guess I'm just picky.

Eris
11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
I really don't have an opinion about it. I don't hate it, I don't love it. It's meh.

Ωmega
11-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Moving to jpop

queenelfaria2
11-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Waited for the move!! :D

Reggae music is great! I don't listen to it all the time but a lot of what i listen to is influenced by or related to it...drum n bass, punk, ska, hip hop, some r& b like.... Jazmine Sullivan's "Need U Bad" ...it's a killa song...

And dancehall....yeah, that's an aquired taste, lol. So is soca. But sometimes you need "fe wine up ye waist!" ^_^

sunnyside
11-20-2008, 05:02 AM
It's fun to listen to now and again. And can make for good background mood music. But I wouldn't listen to a whole track.

Trick with it is that it lacks great variation in the underlying music both within a song and between songs. If it isn't in English that becomes more important.

Eris
11-20-2008, 05:27 AM
What I want to know is... what does reggae think of ME?!

Azul
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Waited for the move!! :D

Reggae music is great! I don't listen to it all the time but a lot of what i listen to is influenced by or related to it...drum n bass, punk, ska, hip hop, some r& b like.... Jazmine Sullivan's "Need U Bad" ...it's a killa song...

And dancehall....yeah, that's an aquired taste, lol. So is soca. But sometimes you need "fe wine up ye waist!" ^_^

Ever heard "African Queen" by Two Face or "We shall overcome" by Mavado? Two of my fav's (regardless of the fact that i hate most of his other songs - Mavado that is). I don't have a problem with people not liking Reggae. I personally hate rock music where the people are screaming and they sound possessed. Give's me the heebie jeebies. I like Linkin park's "Numb" and "In The End" though. Not everyone will like everything in life. Some prefer oranges to apples. Still laughing about a thread in the misc forum that i saw.I guess that loads of people would not like it. I think this is mainly because you might not understand what these artistes are saying. Reggae is more than dancehall wich is what i think you guys are reffering to is dancehall. The dancehall songs mostly sound alike because people tend to want to have their songs on the hot Rhythm of the moment. You can have 50 or more songs on the same rhythm tooting the same beat but with dif words and dif artists. Reggae is very diverse especially the roots rocking songs like "she loves me now" and "tempted to touch" or even better "Music is life".

queenelfaria2
11-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Ever heard "African Queen" by Two Face or "We shall overcome" by Mavado? Two of my fav's (regardless of the fact that i hate most of his other songs - Mavado that is). I don't have a problem with people not liking Reggae. I personally hate rock music where the people are screaming and they sound possessed. Give's me the heebie jeebies. I like Linkin park's "Numb" and "In The End" though. Not everyone will like everything in life. Some prefer oranges to apples. Still laughing about a thread in the misc forum that i saw.I guess that loads of people would not like it. I think this is mainly because you might not understand what these artistes are saying. Reggae is more than dancehall wich is what i think you guys are reffering to is dancehall. The dancehall songs mostly sound alike because people tend to want to have their songs on the hot Rhythm of the moment. You can have 50 or more songs on the same rhythm tooting the same beat but with dif words and dif artists. Reggae is very diverse especially the roots rocking songs like "she loves me now" and "tempted to touch" or even better "Music is life".
No, i haven't but i will look them up to get a listen. And to see what else Mavado does to make you dislike him so much. =)

Masali
11-23-2008, 12:52 AM
If it's done right, it's alright. If not, it can drive someone to suicide.

Most Marley stuff is alright, I don't worship him like the other stoners do. I'm a Hendrix sto-- er. fan.

Yugure's Goddess
11-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Hendrix! Win!

anyway... yeah... reggae's alright. It totally ripped off ska but that's beside the point. (<3's to No Doubt!) Reggae's not my thing. I'm pretty addicted to Blues, Jazz, and Rock. I like other stuff a little bit but... not very much. They have to be totally amazing or include some element from one of my three favorite genres for me to chalk them up anywhere near my jazz, blues, and rocks favorites. Oh, and some classical pieces are ok by me. I guess I should hope so, since I'm all "yeah clarinet... for the rest of my life, maybe!" Well, I guess I could find a way to do jazz or blues clarinet. o.O Maybe John Mayer's got an opening for a clarinet on his set. That would be so awesome!

love
dani
dude

Tsuna Kadiri
11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Bob Marley's sons make some great reggae-inspired music. I really like Damian Marley, and I think Welcome to Jamrock is an awesome album. Halfway Tree isn't too bad, either.

Sometimes reggae can seem repetitive. It's hard to differentiate between bands, and even songs sometimes. I enjoy the genre and think when a typically non-reggae band mixes some reggae and island elements into their music, it creates a whole new vibe and sound unlike any other. It can make for some great music.

CilegnaHeart
11-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I love reggae music, the beats drive me to dance & I just get into it.

Riot11
01-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Reggae is a wonderful thing and i hate when people tell me that they listen to it but the only artist they listen to is bob marley. Matisyahu is a great band so is Burning Spear, the Fear Nuttin' Band, Desmond Dekkar, The specials. Also Ska is great if you like reggae you'll love Ska, all the diferent kinds probly, 1st wave 2nd punk ska. Check out: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Authority Zero, Street Light Manifesto, The Pie Tasters. basically any thing that was on Trogan, or Moon Ska Records

Rein*
01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
its good
obviously i'd think so

facfiles
01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Good things to stop thinking and just relax.

Maybe you know where to find good pack of albums to download? depositfiles if possible

Mayonnaise-Senpai
01-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Ja, mon!

XDDDDDDDDD

I know he's not technically reggae, but whenever I hear Kardinall Offishall's song's, it reminds me of the islands and... it makes me wanna go on a cruise again. Good times... good times...

As for reggae music in general, I guess it's ok. When it's hip hop/reggae-like music, I won't mind listening to it.

Azul
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't know why every time people hear about reggae or Jamaica they automatically go 'Ja mon'. we don't speak like that. Stupid Steven Segal movie. I really hate scarface. It's the cause of such a way off stereotype.

Hey i haven't been here in a month or two and might not get back on in a long time so sorry if it seems i deserted the thread.

Kardinal official....what is he. I heared him in dangerous and i glimpsed the song he remixed with Kerie Hilson/Wilson whatever. he has a jamaican accent. Don't know if he is Jamaican though. whatever he is i just hate that he remixed that song. That's probabely how you guys feel when you hear Rampin Shack' Kartel's remix to Neyo's "miss independent". Every gal grab a man....ha! lets not go there.

See next time i'm allowed on the internet. Could be the next month or two or never.

AND we do NOT say Ja Mon. That is just ridiculous. We have an accent but that otrocious thing from scarface is not it. Toodles people.

Till next time

Blue

Gizoku
02-01-2009, 12:52 AM
I listen to a little here and there. It really makes me feel comfortable where I am. :]