PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Releasing tomorrow in America (Oct 28).

No midnight release where I am. I'm so sad. It has a 10/10 from the one magazine that's actually reviewed it (OXM).

Also, I beat Eris to making this thread.

BoldMushroom
10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I haven't had the chance to play the first two, which annoys me since I used to have Fallout 2 and now I can't find it.

I'll probably get this. I've heard a few fears about how this is going to be "Fallout Oblivion" and that Bethesda is going to eliminate some of the depth from the first two games to streamline this one, but Bethesda is a talented developer and Oblivion was a lot of fun. Besides, sometimes streamlining is just a good idea. There are some things that suck about Morrowind that don't suck about Oblivion.

Maybe I'll get the Survival Edition. I know it's a blatant consumerist ploy, but I need a new alarm clock.

The Governator
10-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm still scared it will be Oblivion with guns and gore.

If I over hear someone runing into a couple of mud crabs yesterday when I play Fallout 3, people at Bethesda will die.

But if they have sense, they will make it just as good as Fallout 1 and 2. So basically I'll be able to have sex with anything that moves near me and then blow there head off.

Anime Forum
10-27-2008, 06:57 PM
This game sounds good, I'll be picking it up hopefully next week, I won't be getting it on its release date but I'll get the game eventually, can't wait.

Kishiro
10-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Just got home from selling this thing for the midnight release. It looks sweet. Too bad we didn't have any extras for me to bring a copy home. =/
All we got was enough for the reserves.

BUT the collector's bundle with the Vault-Boy lunchbox and bobble head is AWESOME.

Dogmat
10-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Oblivion is one of my favorite games, and I've been really looking forward to this for a while. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and I plan to spend most of the day playing it. :D

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-28-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm still scared it will be Oblivion with guns and gore.

If I over hear someone runing into a couple of mud crabs yesterday when I play Fallout 3, people at Bethesda will die.

But if they have sense, they will make it just as good as Fallout 1 and 2. So basically I'll be able to have sex with anything that moves near me and then blow there head off.

From the video's I've seen, They do have crabs, but they're the size of bears and THEY WALK LIKE A MAN.

So, I'll be getting this in about an hour.

Edit: Been playing this for the last 3 1/2 hours. The Intro is awesome, and I heartly approve of this game thus far.

Also, one word: VATS. Don't even bother with trying any shots at a distance. VATS. Hell, it even makes melee combat look awesome, although that may just be because I'm beating Punk-looking raiders with a bat while decked out in Vault 101 Riot Gear

DreamScape
10-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Game is really good.
To bad i cant play it :(

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
If you enter the Megaton trading post and wonder if the plans for the Rock-It Launcher is worth the 1100ish bottle caps, believe me- IT IS. Killing a Murklurk (that bear-crab thing) with a high speed baseball glove to the face is awesome.

doomboy536
10-29-2008, 09:37 AM
They have bottlecaps in Fallout 3? Hooray! :D

Eris
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
They have bottlecaps in Fallout 3? Hooray! :D

That is such an anachronism. Why would they go BACK to bottle caps, after having proper money in Fallout 2?!

Anyways, It's released tomorrow in the land of the mosquitos the size of cars, so I reckon I'll be moseying down town and buying it. The pre-release game play videos look pretty decent (as in, not Oblivion with guns), so it might just not be spending tomorrow night ranting on the Bethesda forums about how it is the worst game ever.

Anyone know if it's infested with crapware and DRMs (e.g. SecuROM), or if it will respect my privacy and allow me to install it more than three times?

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
That is such an anachronism. Why would they go BACK to bottle caps, after having proper money in Fallout 2?!

Anyways, It's released tomorrow in the land of the mosquitos the size of cars, so I reckon I'll be moseying down town and buying it. The pre-release game play videos look pretty decent (as in, not Oblivion with guns), so it might just not be spending tomorrow night ranting on the Bethesda forums about how it is the worst game ever.

Anyone know if it's infested with crapware and DRMs (e.g. SecuROM), or if it will respect my privacy and allow me to install it more than three times?
Because it's a different part of the wasteland and there's no central economy, I'd guess. There is also normal money ("Pre-War Money"), but it's just treated as a commodity. And it has very little value compared to now- I could get 5x 5.56 mm bullets for a wad of it, although keep in mind that charisma is my dump stat (4) and I have a barter score of, like, 14.

And: http://kotaku.com/5057989/no-drm-issues-for-fallout-3

Although I'm playing it on PS3 myself.

And another random tip: Shoot Mole Rats with VATS when they jump into the air to pounce on you. It seems to do a lot more damage, and the slow-mo headless Mole Rat flying over your shoulder is awesome.

Eris
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Because it's a different part of the wasteland and there's no central economy, I'd guess. There is also normal money ("Pre-War Money"), but it's just treated as a commodity. And it has very little value compared to now- I could get 5x 5.56 mm bullets for a wad of it, although keep in mind that charisma is my dump stat (4) and I have a barter score of, like, 14.

Actually, on that subject, when John Sawyer wrote the segment below, he was talking about me. And it aint' the way it used to be! I must write 4000 pages of rants on it online!

"The point, in case zealots ever want to accept it, is that your tastes are not the only tastes in the world. Really, I know this may be hard to believe, but if you like playing a turn-based game set in three counties of Utah in 2242, and you like miniguns but don't like lasers, and you like the ratio of combat to dialogue to be about 4:1, and you like cars that look more like Buicks than Pontiacs, and you think 50s-style monsters are okay but 50s-style aliens aren't, and you think Max's jacket from Mad Max is okay but the football pad armour isn't, and you don't like it when italics are used in dialogue but you do like it when boldface is used, and you want it to be longer than 100 hours but no longer than 120 hours, and like games to be non-linear but only to a point, and like big cities, but only two because four is too much BUT HEY NOT THAT ONE, and you like the desert but don't mind a little grass BUT HEY NOT THAT MUCH BECAUSE IT'S NOT FALLOUT...[...]"

And: http://kotaku.com/5057989/no-drm-issues-for-fallout-3

Sudden outbreak of common sense, to borrow a slashdotism.

Sagat
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
So - worth investment?

Eris
10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
So - worth investment?

The fact that it's a Fallout sequel is reason enough to buy it. Even if it's just 10% of what Fallout was, it's a decent game.

Dogmat
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Played about 8 hours of Fallout 3 and so far and I really love it! I believe this'll end up being my #2 favorite game of 2008!

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-29-2008, 07:44 PM
So - worth investment?
It's so far tied with MGS4 for my game of 2008.

Since I seem to be posting tips with every post, I'll continue- there are some places you are clearly not meant to be in the early parts of the game. Mutants are a good indication, although the average mutant isn't THAT tough (There are ones with steel helmets that are much tougher, and there are also mutants the size of a bus that require at least two Fat Boy (Tactical Mini-Nuke) rounds to take out). If you see a few "Talon" mercs, you should probably sneak the other way. Same thing with the more advanced Military Bots, and probably Enclave and Brotherhood troops (Never met an enclave trooper, and the Brotherhood is on good terms with my goody two-shoe character).

Sagat
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Damn you all. I'll let you know what I think once I buy this on Friday ... I love Oblivion to death and theres no reason I wouldnt love this one to death also ..

Eris
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I got it today and it is surprisingly true to the original two games. I've played it for a couple of hours and not really gotten all that far. I was a human lab rat for some crazy woman writing a book about survival, and then I killed some ginormous ants breathing fire (the reference to THEM! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them!) was hilarious)

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Go to Canterbury Commons. It's north of the DC Metro Area, nearish the edge of the map. The in-game version of yourself is there, you'll immediately know who I mean.

And the rewards for helping that chick are decent. You get two special perks at the end of various missions, assuming you do the optional things, I assume. The THEM! Mission gives you a perk at some point too, assuming you help the scientist.

Eris
10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Right now I'm seriously low on ammo from killing all those ants (I think I have like 20 rounds). I have a ludicrous amount of explosives and heavy weapons though. But it feels like such a waste to kill stray mole rats with flamethrowers, hand grenades and land mines. The frustrating part is that I have the money to buy bullets, but nobody is selling (I've stripped Megaton of anything even remotely fire-able.)

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Melee and/or stealth attack more. I'd have the exact opposite problem if ammo had weight. Well, except for Minigun Ammo. I only have a load and a half of that left. And I'm not exactly rich in missiles or mini-nukes. Or .44 or .302.

OK, so I guess what I'm saying is a have a metric ton of .32, 10mm, 12-gauge, and 5.56 rounds. And I've had to start selling grenades because I have more then any one person should.

If you want a tip, do the mission from the lady sitting in the Megaton bar. If you broker a truce between the raiders and the townsfolk (and it can't be that hard, because Charisma is my dump stat and my speech was probably in the 20s), you'll get a quasi-useless perk and a schematic that gives you a flaming sword of death. I'm pretty sure it deals more damage at the same condition then the super-sledge. And it sets people on fire.

Edit: Another ammo-challanged tip: The Rock-It Launcher. Every can becomes a free deadly projectile. On the down side, every can weighs 1 lbs. The parts for it aren't too hard to find, although the money for the scimatic can be. I'd also suggest the Mole Rat repeallent mission that Megaton Trader gives you, if only because you get to keep the +2 Mole Rat Bane Club.

Eris
10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Heh, try looking for "Andale". It's a three building town way south, west of the piece city that is west of Potomac. Not much reward or even a quest or anything, but the place is great lul. (It's also a trap)

On a side note, whoever casted Malcolm McDowell to voice President Eden is a genius.

-|[Frank]|-
10-31-2008, 05:27 PM
i'm dying to get this game! from everything ive seen, it looks epic! still trying to decide between getting this, or one of the other games i want aswell.

Games here are too freakin' expensive...:closedeye

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Heh, try looking for "Andale". It's a three building town way south, west of the piece city that is west of Potomac. Not much reward or even a quest or anything, but the place is great lul. (It's also a trap)

On a side note, whoever casted Malcolm McDowell to voice President Eden is a genius.
Another Joke Location: Due west of Springdale is a map marker called Jury Street Metro Station. There is a small grocery store around there (Golden Grocer?). Enter, and follow the arrows explicitly. It's a reverse trap. The Havoc Physics engine is fun.

It may have just been luck or something, but there was a named guy nearby who jumped me. He dropped a finger (I have the Lawbringer Perk) so he's apparently evil. He had some junk on him that wasn't horrible, like leather armor and a Sniper Rifle. He wasn't hard to kill, but I've gotten to the point that I eat Super Mutant Brutes for breakfast, and use their Nailbats to floss afterwords.

Sagat
11-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Just entered Megaton .. and I am enjoying this game a LOT. Having beaten the hell out of Oblivion I have an inkling this is going to take over my life.

Ryth
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I've never played the prior FO's so I won't comment, but this game has been a lot of fun so far. I just wish Bethseda would stop making games with main story-lines that take like at most a half hour to beat. I know a main campaign isn't the POINT of an open-world RPG, but that doesn't excuse how short the campaign is.

Eris
11-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I've never played the prior FO's so I won't comment, but this game has been a lot of fun so far. I just wish Bethseda would stop making games with main story-lines that take like at most a half hour to beat. I know a main campaign isn't the POINT of an open-world RPG, but that doesn't excuse how short the campaign is.

Though, that is also the case with Fallout 1. You can beat it in like 10 minutes if you really set your mind to it.

Ryth
11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I didn't know that, but okay. I just hate it when games do that. Like I said, I know theres much more to the game than just the storyline, but I would just prefer a longer tale. It'd also be nice if you were allowed to continue playing after you beat the campaign, instead of having to load a file.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, at least in this one the monsters aren't all leveled. The Mall is a pretty scary place if you are under, say, level 10.

Found another good/interesting quest. Not going to ruin it, but I actually had to think about my choice. It's in town called Oasis on the middle-north edge of the map. It's hidden in the mountains, so you have to approach it from the south.

Also, there's a place called Weaton Armory that has a TREASURE TROVE of delicious guns and ammo. Go west of Canterbury Commons to Regulator HQ, then a bit south and you'll find it. The problems? It's guarded by Raiders, it's radioactive as hell (I got 6 rads/second in places even with Rad-X, 2 rads/second with Rad-X and an Environment Suit), and most of the loot is hidden behind a Very Hard Computer. Found a minigun, plasma grenades, sniper rifles, missile launchers, other weapons not worth mentioning, and a ton of ammo for those weapons.

Anyone find any Bobbleheads other then the one on the Megaton Sheriff's Desk? I found a science one in Vault 106, located slightly north west of Vault 101.

-|[Frank]|-
11-02-2008, 02:42 AM
..>So i went out and bought this game 2day:( i dont think ive gotten too far storyline wise:

*Spoilers maybe? Still early in the game*

-

-

-

-
-

Did u guys talk to some guy in Megaton that asks u to blow up the town?? what was ur response to him?

anyways ive mostly been doing a side mission for some lady that wants me to be her test subject or something? Umm...she said something like, her 1st chapter of the book she's writing will be about radiation, me exploring a mine field and me finding out if there's food or medicine inside some mall.
I've done the Mall one (couldnt find the medicine though..) and the radiation one. I got a perk for the radiation quest where if im heavily poisioned with radiation, injured limbs will regenerate themselves lol

The side mission im doing right now tho is the one where Lucy West (some lady in the bar that has that zombie guy Gob) wants me to deliver a letter to her family. Im inside a hideout/cave now with Scorpions and Raiders...is there an easier way to kill the scorpians?? theyre eating my ammo like nothing else. Even the Super Mutants/elites were easier than them:ninja:

*End Spoilers*

really enjoying the game so far. havnt been this hooked on a game in such a long time

Eris
11-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Anyone find any Bobbleheads other then the one on the Megaton Sheriff's Desk? I found a science one in Vault 106, located slightly north west of Vault 101.

I've found a melee (or unarmed?) bobblehead. It's in the end of a dungeon full of feral ghouls almost in the south west corner of the map. If you go to Girdershade, and ask the man there about the surroundings, he will warn you not to go there.

There is also an intelligence bobblehead in science lab in Rivet City.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I've found a melee (or unarmed?) bobblehead. It's in the end of a dungeon full of feral ghouls almost in the south west corner of the map. If you go to Girdershade, and ask the man there about the surroundings, he will warn you not to go there.

There is also an intelligence bobblehead in science lab in Rivet City.

I think I know the building you mean.

I should probably loot them. I have a mask that makes it so that feral ghouls don't attack me. I also found a speech bobblehead when I had my goody-goody de-people Paradise Falls. Located in the leader's house. Forgot his name, but he's the one in a pimp suit.

@-|[Frank]|-: VATS them in the tail with a good short-to-medium range weapon (Combat Shotgun, Assault Rifle, 10mm Submachine Gun, Flamer, Minigun, etcetera). If they're still around when you're out of AP, run backwards while firing at their torso.

Since I'm offering combat tips: the easy way to kill Deathclaws

Dart Gun, 1 shot, anywhere.
Medium Range Weapon, to the head, while running backwards out of claw range.

The dart gun instantly cripples both legs if it hits for some reason. This makes it so the Deathclaw is a little slower then you are with both legs uncrippled, and it can't do that jumping attack that will undoubtedly rape you. They become an easy source of good XP. If you need the schematics for the Dart Gun, there's a gas station between Tenpenny Tower and Girdershade that should have it.

Eris
11-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I think I know the building you mean.

It had a bunch of holotapes outlining some sort of story in it, if that helps to confirm things. Anyways, it wasn't all that hard. I kept running out of ammo because ghouls don't drop them, but I mostly offed them with mines and grenades anyways. The one thing to treat with caution is the glowing one half way in the dungeon, plenty of Rad-X is recommended before dealing with him (or pick him off from a distance). I had something like 500 rads after I killed him.

|-;2159468']The side mission im doing right now tho is the one where Lucy West (some lady in the bar that has that zombie guy Gob) wants me to deliver a letter to her family. Im inside a hideout/cave now with Scorpions and Raiders...is there an easier way to kill the scorpians?? theyre eating my ammo like nothing else. Even the Super Mutants/elites were easier than them:ninja:

You're in the wrong place. Go to the metro station he suggested instead.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Nah, I just remember the conversation and the unexplored map marker taunting me. I think it was the Dunwich Building, or something like that anyway.

On a related note (by way of Girdershade) anyone explored the Nuka-Cola Plant? The Research Computer notes about Nuka-Cola Quantum made me laugh.

Eris
11-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Nah, I just remember the conversation and the unexplored map marker taunting me. I think it was the Dunwich Building, or something like that anyway.

I think that is the one.

On a related note (by way of Girdershade) anyone explored the Nuka-Cola Plant? The Research Computer notes about Nuka-Cola Quantum made me laugh.

Yeah, that was amusing. The NukaLurks where tough as hell though. At one point, stopped wasting rifle ammo on them and finished most of them off with my Fat Man. I have less issues dealing with Behemoths than I do with Mirelurks in general and NukaLurks in particular. My character is sort of a sniper (I've taken down Super Mutant Brutes with two shots in the arm with a hunting rifle in bad condition) , and does craploads of damage at a range, but is more or less defenseless in close combat.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I think that is the one.

Yeah, that was amusing. The NukaLurks where tough as hell though. At one point, stopped wasting rifle ammo on them and finished most of them off with my Fat Man. I have less issues dealing with Behemoths than I do with Mirelurks in general and NukaLurks in particular. (My character is sort of a sniper, and does craploads of damage at a range, but is more or less defenseless in close combat)
Seriously? I didn't have too much of a problem with them. Lots of Rail Spikes to the face, and I tried to sneak attack whenever possible, of course.

(Although my character is more of a melee-type that became a small-guns/science/lockpicking/stealth/and big guns fiend when I discovered that melee sucks in general.)

Eris
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Seriously? I didn't have too much of a problem with them. Lots of Rail Spikes to the face, and I tried to sneak attack whenever possible, of course.

(Although my character is more of a melee-type that became a small-guns/science/lockpicking/stealth/and big guns fiend when I discovered that melee sucks in general.)

They are so ridiculously fast. I get them to maybe 30% HP, but by then they're covering the entire screen and mauling me dead in 10 seconds. I can't aim, because I'm out of AP, and they're so close I can only hit their back manually.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
VATS them with a Dart Gun (or otherwise damage their legs, frag mines work). They should slow down and quit doing that headbutt garbage.

Sagat
11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
What's this about the dart gun? Is it actually good??

Anyhow, I'm doing a few diff quests right now. On the last leg of that quest for the supply girl there, where ya gotta go to Rivet City. Been to Girdershade - NOT impressed. Grayditch misson was fun to do though.

I am looking for a viable ... alternative to Megaton .. for reasons most of you may know (haven't took Mister Burke up on his offer yet but will soon). Rivet City looks to be the Imperial City of Fallout?

Story wise, I just left GNR and moving down to the DC monument but I am doing others, gaining power and ammo etc.

What sort of character you all building? I am always inclined towards the assassin type. I am investing in sneak, lockpicking, energy and long range weapons, looking to boost sniper perks ... basically I'm making a stealthy sniper. One shot, one kill ... Ideally.

But next time I play through and act a complete and total psychopath (I sorta am now, walking a tight rope but next time definitely dark side) I am going to go all out brute force heavy guns everything blown up.

I love this game. My god, I wish I had the next week off.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-02-2008, 10:44 PM
What's this about the dart gun? Is it actually good??
It does lame damage (between the 10mm and the BB gun) and holds one shot. Some poison effect that seems worthless too. The only useful part about it is it's instant double leg crippling ability (and you can shoot them anywhere with it, too), and then only against the higher tier melee fighters in the game. (If you're using it on, say... mole rats, you have obvious emotional problems. Put the mole rat out of it's misery cleanly with a shotgun blast to the back of his throat instead) In the end, it's pretty well worth the 3 lbs of space and it's ammo is omnipresent.

Anyhow, I'm doing a few diff quests right now. On the last leg of that quest for the supply girl there, where ya gotta go to Rivet City. Been to Girdershade - NOT impressed. Grayditch misson was fun to do though.

I am looking for a viable ... alternative to Megaton .. for reasons most of you may know (haven't took Mister Burke up on his offer yet but will soon). Rivet City looks to be the Imperial City of Fallout? If you take up his offer, you'll get a place at Tenpenny Tower. I visited, but I'm afraid I didn't get too great a... feeling for the place... There's a Ghoul at the Gate that will offer you a mission to open a door in Tenpenny Tower so that his feral brothers can eat the delicious brains of the elitist ghoul-haters. You get a mask that will prevent the feral ghouls of the world from killing you on sight. The Mission is bad karma, though. My goody-two-shoes cried herself to sleep for weeks.

There are a couple decent choices for other hubs. Tenpenny Tower, of course. Rivet City, and the Underground are decent. Paradise Falls if you're evil. Probably the Brotherhood and the Outcast's hubs (I dunno where the Outcast base is, and the B.O.S. won't let me in). Little Lamplight is alright, but hard to get into. I'm 99% sure the only places you can get houses are Megaton OR Tenpenny Tower, though. And some of the stuff you can put in your house is mildly useful.

Story wise, I just left GNR and moving down to the DC monument but I am doing others, gaining power and ammo etc.

What sort of character you all building? I am always inclined towards the assassin type. I am investing in sneak, lockpicking, energy and long range weapons, looking to boost sniper perks ... basically I'm making a stealthy sniper. One shot, one kill ... Ideally.

But next time I play through and act a complete and total psychopath (I sorta am now, walking a tight rope but next time definitely dark side) I am going to go all out brute force heavy guns everything blown up.

I love this game. My god, I wish I had the next week off.

Mine was originally intended to be a melee dude, with decent strength and agility, above average endurance intelligence and perception, and below average luck and charisma. Tags on Melee, Repair, and science. Then, the damage potential on melee wound up being so low I quit, and diversified into other stuff. My perks are a motley assortment of skill boosters, defensive things, and stuff to make me a decent shooter. So I kind of wound up a generalist.

Next time, I'll be a specialized evil stealth assassin type.

Eris
11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
A tip for location of an absolute crapload of regular ammo (for rifles and whatnot): The Capitol Building. It's basically a warzone between supermutants and talon mercs. They do most of the killing, so you can just run around finishing off the survivors and looting corpses.

I went in with something like 10 ammo in my hunting rifle and 30 in my chinese assault rifle, and walked out with 3 mini nukes, 10+ hand grenades, 10+ missiles, 300 5mm, 70 .32, 100+ 5.56mm, 10+ mines, a laser rifle, 50+ MF cells, a small pharmacy worth of chems, etc.

Sagat
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Where exactly is that? Close to the monument or ... ?

Eris
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Where exactly is that? Close to the monument or ... ?

It's in the same area as the monument. If the area where the monument is looks like a rectangle, the building with a dome on one of the shorter edges of the rectangle (to the east, I think) is the one. This how it looks IRL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Capitol_Building_Full_View.jpg), which is reasonably similar to the Fallout 3 version of the building. It's got some nasty super mutants guarding it from some pretty strong positions, but once you're inside, it's a lot easier. Even the behemoth drops pretty easily. When I played, the talon mercs shot it once with a fat man before it killed them, and after that I could finish it off with hand grenades and the chinese assault rifle.

At least I thought it was a cakewalk cleaning that place up (I was level 9 or 10). If you're struggling with lone super mutant brutes, it might not be appropriate, but if you can deal with them (assuming you have enough ammo) without all that much of a struggle*, it is definitely worth it. There are also ways of having defense turrets do the work for you, given you have the science skill.

* I pick them off with 2 or 3 headshots with a hunting rifle, alternatively a few face fulls of combat shotgun.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Here's an awesome (and somewhat obvious) tip. At level 20, you have a choice between three perks. Solar Powered (regeneration outside during the day) Dead [something] (Getting a kill in VATS refills your AP- which is awesome) and Explorer (learn the location of all map markers). Explorer sounds cool, but not worth losing one of the other two, right? Well, right before you gain level 20, save. Then gain Explorer, save in another slot, and then reload your level 19 game and play normally. Now you have a save file with every place marked without losing those awesome perks.

Another tip to get a bunch of cash semi-easy: (quest spoilers) Go to Underground (located in the Museum of Natural History in the Mall). Go to the clinic. Convince the Doc to heal the women on the cot. She's a commander of a mercenaries company. Her company is trapped on the roof of some hotel. Tell her you'll get them (she'll give you the passcode to her company's home base if you want to raid it, but there wasn't much worth taking and you'll wind up there anyway). You have to slog through a great deal of Super Mutants, Brutes, Centaurs, and a Master or two going through a hospital and then a hotel to reach the roof, save them, and then lead them out of the Hotel. You then meet them at the Merc base, and are given a choice between their custom armor (+1 Luck, +5 AP, best non-powered armor DR I've seen) and a custom Minigun named Eugene. You can then talk to the leader about helping her explore the map. She'll hand you cash for every place you've discovered thus far (1700+ caps on my game) and you can come back for more caps as you visit more places.

Also, in case you are wondering, you get Power Armor training and access to the BOS base as part of the main quest.

As far as Powered Armor goes, I'm wearing the Medical Power-Armor Prototype I found in the Old Olney (or something like that) sewers. Sorta hard to get to though, as the place is covered in Deathclaws. +25 Rad resist, and it'll auto-inject you with Med-X if your health gets low. The best part? It has a built-in Angry Drill Sargent to scream at you to kill things when they notice you.

Also found the medical bobblehead (very minor plot spoiler) After a certain point in the story (after you get into the BOS base), you'll pick up an emergency signal from Vault 101 if you travel nearby. When you go back to see what that's all about, you can visit the medical area and it'll be on a desk, near the World's GREATEST Mr. Handy.

AbsoluteAnimeFan
11-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Releasing tomorrow in America (Oct 28).

No midnight release where I am. I'm so sad. It has a 10/10 from the one magazine that's actually reviewed it (OXM).

Also, I beat Eris to making this thread.

I have played fallout 2..waiting for fallout 3 out :cool:

Dogmat
11-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I beat the main storyline last night. Excellent game but unlike Oblivion, after you complete the main storyline you can't continue with the same save to complete side quests you missed. I'd recommend creating a second save before you finish the final mission so you can go back to the wastelands and complete the other sidequest without having to start over.

Eris
11-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I beat the main storyline last night. Excellent game but unlike Oblivion, after you complete the main storyline you can't continue with the same save to complete side quests you missed. I'd recommend creating a second save before you finish the final mission so you can go back to the wastelands and complete the other sidequest without having to start over.

I think this is a positive thing. If you upturn every single rock and explore every single nook and cranny in your first play through, you'll have much less replay value.

A good tip on how to kill lots of enemies close by in more urban areas is to aim for the cars. If you haven't understood this yet: The cars in Fallout are powered by nuclear reactors, and will explode if you hit them a few times. So shooting on a car pileup will cause a domino effect of mushroom clouds that can take out half a dozen armored enemies (say Enclave troops with pet Deathclaws) with like ten rounds of ammo.

Furthermore, Gatling laser: Where have you been all my life? I love you. Will you marry me?

doomboy536
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm going to picking this up tomorrow, and then the carnage can begin. I loved the other 2 Fallouts, so I might be calling in sick for a while....:laugh:

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Furthermore, Gatling laser: Where have you been all my life? I love you. Will you marry me?
I know, right? I was just sad about how little ammunition I had for it - I ran out about 1/3 of the way though the final mission. Had to switch to my minigun, but it just wasn't the same...

Wizzo
11-07-2008, 05:29 AM
The game is a good action-RPG game.

It may be a disgrace to the previous games of the franchise (thanks to the action oriened gameplay),but it's still fun.

Eris
11-07-2008, 08:56 AM
The game is a good action-RPG game.

It may be a disgrace to the previous games of the franchise (thanks to the action oriened gameplay),but it's still fun.

I think it honors a lot of the things that made the old games so good. The game system is a bit dumbified, but the dark humor, the atmosphere, and the spirit of the older games largely remains, which is a lot more than I had expected from Bethesda.

doomboy536
11-07-2008, 10:55 AM
It's installing now, and in a few minutes my life will be complete :D

EDIT: I'm quitting my job tomorrow so I have more time for this game. I wuv it vewy much :)

Chewbaka
11-09-2008, 10:25 PM
It's installing now, and in a few minutes my life will be complete :D

EDIT: I'm quitting my job tomorrow so I have more time for this game. I wuv it vewy much :)
Yeaaaaah, and how exactly are you gonna pay for the electricity (Assuming you do do that) without a job?

Anywho, story wise I'm in Tranquility Lane (or whatever it's called) hacking up everyone. Rivet City was the best place so far. Thank you overabundance of Stim Packs.

It's fun nonetheless, though I should probably make another character, and do some other things differently than what I did on this character. x.x;

Rhain
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Well.. I bought this game like 3 days ago. And haven't have much time to play it.. But it's awesome. Like... Really awesome. It's one of these games that you just sit in your couch, and don't stop until it's 2 AM.

P.S. Everytime I see the Pip-Boy.. I Lmao.

Sagat
11-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Steel: That was the most morbid yet hilarious part of the game ever. The music during the ... events cracked me up in such a sick way

Chewbaka
11-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Steel: That was the most morbid yet hilarious part of the game ever. The music during the ... events cracked me up in such a sick way The great part about it was The fact that they died via one-hit and their limbs fell off as you continued to hack em

Good times, gooooood times.

doomboy536
11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
I had a think about it, and it turns out I need my job. Curse you practicality!!!

Stupid question - I'm playing this on a PC. How do I holster my weapon? :wacko:

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-10-2008, 09:15 AM
You know there's an instruction manual that comes free with the game, right?

If it isn't in the box flesh and blood, there's almost always a PDF on the game disc.

The Governator
11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I just got Fallout 3 and I'm really, really excited, it is currently installing.

Eris
11-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I just got Fallout 3 and I'm really, really excited, it is currently installing.

Good for you. Hope you don't run into the dreaded codec crash. (It's pretty easy to fix, but annoying none the less.)

The Governator
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Good for you. Hope you don't run into the dreaded codec crash. (It's pretty easy to fix, but annoying none the less.)

Meh, if I do, I'll just figure it out, nothing is going to stop me playing it, not even the Brotherhood of Steel!

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
You know there's an instruction manual that comes free with the game, right?

If it isn't in the box flesh and blood, there's almost always a PDF on the game disc.
Since you were dishing out some tips earlier, I thought it would be good to ask this: Where in the hell is The Family located at? I've searched those three places that the guy wants me to look at and found nothing but molerats and the man who wants me to get him some Sugar Bombs. I just up and killed him and his bodyguard and just split to the other places, but found nothing yet.

Also, I think I've hit those Codec crashes or something, cause about every 5-7 minutes my game freezes. Just when I get to the good parts ;_;

Eris
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Since you were dishing out some tips earlier, I thought it would be good to ask this: Where in the hell is The Family located at? I've searched those three places that the guy wants me to look at and found nothing but molerats and the man who wants me to get him some Sugar Bombs. I just up and killed him and his bodyguard and just split to the other places, but found nothing yet.

It is in the same place as the sugar bomb guys. I think it's a sewer or something you have to enter to get there.

Also, I think I've hit those Codec crashes or something, cause about every 5-7 minutes my game freezes. Just when I get to the good parts ;_;

That is not is. The codec issues makes the game impossible to start.

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 02:04 PM
It is in the same place as the sugar bomb guys. I think it's a sewer or something you have to enter to get there.

That is not is. The codec issues makes the game impossible to start.You know, I checked the sewers, but not fully. I'm going to have another go there, and check the places I didn't look.

I do have to go look around though bout the crashes. It seriously gets annoying trying to grab ammo for my Rock-It Launcher and have the game freeze. v.v

Eris
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I do have to go look around though bout the crashes. It seriously gets annoying trying to grab ammo for my Rock-It Launcher and have the game freeze. v.v

I have had a few crashes, but they are like once ever 4-5 hours of gameplay. Quite acceptable. Hopefully they will come out with a patch soon to fix the most common issues.

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I have had a few crashes, but they are like once ever 4-5 hours of gameplay. Quite acceptable. Hopefully they will come out with a patch soon to fix the most common issues.
Well, there is a patch out, but I wouldn't get it, less of course you already did, but I dunno. I usually get the patches before I play, but getting this one was probably stupid of me. I played like an hour or two before I got it, and had no problems, but after getting it, it's been crashing, so I just might remove it to hopefully fix it.

The Governator
11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Played it and my god it is the best game of the year, possibly one of the best games I've ever played, it is a masterpeice.

I'm currently helping that mad women write her survival guide, she is twisted I tells you!

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Played it and my god it is the best game of the year, possibly one of the best games I've ever played, it is a masterpeice.

I'm currently helping that mad women write her survival guide, she is twisted I tells you!
If you haven't done the radiation part yet, get the higher one she wants (600+ Rads) You'll get a neat perk that heals limbs that are damaged if you have Adv. Rad Poisoning. =3

The Governator
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
If you haven't done the radiation part yet, get the higher one she wants (600+ Rads) You'll get a neat perk that heals limbs that are damaged if you have Adv. Rad Poisoning. =3

Yeah, I did that and got the nice little perk, I'm doing the minefield task.

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I did that and got the nice little perk, I'm doing the minefield task.I suggest a few stimpacks while on that task. God knows how many times I've died trying to get around those mines. x.x

Eris
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I suggest a few stimpacks while on that task. God knows how many times I've died trying to get around those mines. x.x

That was a nuisance. That damn jerk sniping the mines didn't help.

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
That was a nuisance. That damn jerk sniping the mines didn't help.Indeed. The fact that she wanted you to go to the playground also sucked, but there were a lot of mines to obtain (assuming you are into mines). All in all, it was worth it.

Edit: I finally got the schematics for the Shishkebab. I bought two of the four parts and I'm now looking for a lawnmower blade and the motorcycle gas tank. Where may I obtain those two things?

Eris
11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Indeed. The fact that she wanted you to go to the playground also sucked, but there were a lot of mines to obtain (assuming you are into mines). All in all, it was worth it.

Edit: I finally got the schematics for the Shishkebab. I bought two of the four parts and I'm now looking for a lawnmower blade and the motorcycle gas tank. Where may I obtain those two things?

I'm not certain, but I think there is one in the mall.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Gas Tanks are anywhere you find junk, with a lean towards Gas Stations of course. I think I found one in a raider camp near Graymarch when I was going around downtown to get to Rivet City, but I'm vague on the location per say. You often find Lawnmower blades on lawnmowers (I'm serious, they are containers).

If you need more junk, there's always Mad Scientist women, a guy in Rivet City, and a roaming junk trader to visit.

Chewbaka
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Gas Tanks are anywhere you find junk, with a lean towards Gas Stations of course. I think I found one in a raider camp near Graymarch when I was going around downtown to get to Rivet City, but I'm vague on the location per say. You often find Lawnmower blades on lawnmowers (I'm serious, they are containers).

If you need more junk, there's always Mad Scientist women, a guy in Rivet City, and a roaming junk trader to visit.
I actually found both the items I needed via Minefield. Died once to the sniper (didn't see him coming x.x) I was thinking though that I should just beat the quest, and then destroy Vance for his, but just didn't feel like it.

It's always fun to just kill random things though. One of my happiest things was the fact that even if you destroy Megaton, Moira is still around for that book to be finished. Good times. Goooood times.

Sagat
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone find a decent sneaking armour thats better than this friggin Recon armour I'm wearing??

BTW found the UFO with the dead alien inside ... AWESOME.

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone find a decent sneaking armour thats better than this friggin Recon armour I'm wearing??

BTW found the UFO with the dead alien inside ... AWESOME.
Went looking around, and the other places said that the Recon Armor you are wearing is the best there is, apart from the naughty nightwear. They also said that if you want to sneak good, equip a smaller weapon. You could also go nude, but I dunno. =3

Sagat
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Went looking around, and the other places said that the Recon Armor you are wearing is the best there is, apart from the naughty nightwear. They also said that if you want to sneak good, equip a smaller weapon. You could also go nude, but I dunno. =3

Curses! So much for enchanted elven leather armour ;(((

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Curses! So much for enchanted elven leather armour ;(((Hey, that's better than my leather armor with +12 Lameness.

Might I ask, do you sneak up on them, pickpocket them, then kill them, or do you sneak to a certain distance, then blow their brains up?

Sagat
11-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Well, I might start sneaking up and pickpocketing, maybe drop a min in there...

But normally right now it's sneak up and laser rifle/shotgun blast to the face. So gruesome .. so deadly .. so awesome

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
That's just great doing that. It's especially great if you do it in V.A.T.S. Slow motion deaths ftw.

I have such a great sneak skill, that I long distance shoot them in the head for insta-deaths/near deaths. So awesome. =3

Sagat
11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I love using the sniper rifle for that. It's just so .. satisfying.

Tonight I am determined to get to Paradise Falls ... OH, anyone use bottlecap mines? They're surprisingly efficient.

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I love using the sniper rifle for that. It's just so .. satisfying.

Tonight I am determined to get to Paradise Falls ... OH, anyone use bottlecap mines? They're surprisingly efficient.
I've used around 3 of those, and they are good, in both pain and using up your caps a bit. I'd only make one if I have enough to spare for those, and some Stims. All in all though, good stuff.

Sagat
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I just found out by accident you can shoot airborne grenades. But, what an AWESOME accident.

Using a sniper character, a super mutant wound up and chucked a grenade at me as I entered VATS ... I pressed up out of curiousity and targeted the grenade.. and hit it. And blew them both up.

So damn awesome. Especially with that extra gore perk.

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Mmmmm, I love the sight of Super Mutant Bits in the morning. I discovered that out also, only with the grenade still on the mutant. Took a shot and watched him get blasted into nothing. I've been more leaning towards disarming any weapon they have by targeting it while fighting. So far so good.

Sagat
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
For those still playing this game .. I highly recommend you do the Reily's Rangers quest. It may be long, but it is damn fun, with lots of action, and well worth the reward. Nevermind what you get at the end of the quest, the whole mission is full of medical items, tons and tons of weapons and ammo you get from killing stuff, and loads of exp. This single mission took me from level 16 right to 17!

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Is it just me, or is the weapons in the game getting less accurate? I remember being able to hit at least 85% of my Laser Pistols shots, but now I'm hitting around 64%.

Sagat
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
I find im less accurate with energy weapons, although its one of my prime skills. When I'm sniping, I always go right to that hunting rifle.

What perks you have though?

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Is it just me, or is the weapons in the game getting less accurate? I remember being able to hit at least 85% of my Laser Pistols shots, but now I'm hitting around 64%.
Range and condition are a factor. External conditions might be too (shooting in the dark, wind, etcetera).

For those still playing this game .. I highly recommend you do the Reily's Rangers quest. It may be long, but it is damn fun, with lots of action, and well worth the reward. Nevermind what you get at the end of the quest, the whole mission is full of medical items, tons and tons of weapons and ammo you get from killing stuff, and loads of exp. This single mission took me from level 16 right to 17!
I thought the rewards were worth it if you're into heavy weapons or don't have the Power Armor perk yet. I mean the best non-powered armor I've found -or- a unique Minigun? Sign me up.

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Hematophage, Educated, and 3 Intense Training Perks. Nothing else. I think it could be the lack of certain perks. We'll see as soon as I level though.

Also MP2k, my weapons are at around 45 - 50%, and I usually use my weapons at medium to close range. I don't think subways have wind, but I could be wrong. I think it's more or less the lack of weapons perks, as my female is going for a medical thief.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
So, it's a different character then? Because, yeah, weapon perks can matter but stats play a part too (perception for Energy Weapons).

Chewbaka
11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Then it's stats, cause I've dumped most of the points on Luck, Endurance, and a bit of strength. I'm gonna mix and match the stats a bit more later, so I can find a suitable combo that's gonna last me the whole game.

Edit: Heh, figured out why I keep crashing. Seems my drivers weren't up to date, so, I got them up to speed, and I haven't experienced a crash since. Hurray for technology. =3

The Governator
11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Can anyone tell me a good place to find a decent ammount of ammo, I'm really low at the moment and no trader that sells ammo has come to Megaton yet.

Chewbaka
11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Can anyone tell me a good place to find a decent ammount of ammo, I'm really low at the moment and no trader that sells ammo has come to Megaton yet. Rivet City has ammo and Stimpacks to satisfy. Plus a Bobblehead for those collectors. Assuming you haven't stripped them clean, go there to get what you need. You could also just use melee attacks while sneaking, but I dunno. Just assuming you've gotten that far in the game =P

Sagat
11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Can anyone tell me a good place to find a decent ammount of ammo, I'm really low at the moment and no trader that sells ammo has come to Megaton yet.

Where you're at now, I'd say .. Hunt down Raiders, explore tunnels/sewers, etc. Raider camps are decent, provided you can kill them all. Not only can you take their weapons to sell/repair your own, but they have fair amounts of ammo in their boxes.

When you can take on Talon Co. and Super Mutants with moderate to little difficulty, as mentioned earlier in this thread, head to the Capital. Sit back and let Talon and Mutants kill each other, then move in and finish off the survivors. A crazy amt of weapons/ammo drops there.

Chewbaka
11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Where you're at now, I'd say .. Hunt down Raiders, explore tunnels/sewers, etc. Raider camps are decent, provided you can kill them all. Not only can you take their weapons to sell/repair your own, but they have fair amounts of ammo in their boxes.

When you can take on Talon Co. and Super Mutants with moderate to little difficulty, as mentioned earlier in this thread, head to the Capital. Sit back and let Talon and Mutants kill each other, then move in and finish off the survivors. A crazy amt of weapons/ammo drops there.
Jesus, that was fun to watch. I hated the straggling Super Mutants though. Bastards =_=. So far, Rivet and The Capitol are the best ammo sources. Tis a good thing ammo doesn't weigh anything. =3

The Governator
11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Rivet City has ammo and Stimpacks to satisfy. Plus a Bobblehead for those collectors. Assuming you haven't stripped them clean, go there to get what you need. You could also just use melee attacks while sneaking, but I dunno. Just assuming you've gotten that far in the game =P

Well, I have to go to Rivet City for a number of reasons Find home for that little boy in Grey Ditch, finish that book of for Moria and find out more about mah paps.

I will say this, I shat myself when I encounterd a Radscorpian, it ate pretty much all my 5.56mm ammo.

Chewbaka
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, I have to go to Rivet City for a number of reasons Find home for that little boy in Grey Ditch, finish that book of for Moria and find out more about mah paps.

I will say this, I shat myself when I encounterd a Radscorpian, it ate pretty much all my 5.56mm ammo.Like I think I said, Melee can save you ammo. Also, if you have enough stealth an' stuff, you can just take a Hunting Rifle, sneak up behind someone, V.A.T.S target their head, and just one-shot them, be it Merc, Raider or Super Mutant. Just be prepared if you get rushed by some unknown person in the room that you didn't see coming =P

KillerDragonX
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
yea i always keep at least one or two melee weapons just for an emergencies, i just started the game though and am at i think level six, all i can say is that this game makes me want to play oblivion again

Chewbaka
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
yea i always keep at least one or two melee weapons just for an emergencies, i just started the game though and am at i think level six, all i can say is that this game makes me want to play oblivion againOne or two won't cut it. These weapons do break, so its best to keep a few more than that. If the weapons didn't break, then yeah, I can see just 2. I keep a Shishkebab, a Lead Pipe, a Bat, a Nailboard and a Ripper with me at all times. I have to be prepared =3

KillerDragonX
11-13-2008, 08:03 PM
lol well maybe thats why i keep dying ^^

Chewbaka
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
lol well maybe thats why i keep dying ^^

Uh no, that just means you suck at certain skills and you need to improve on em. If they seem to get too close to you, maybe you should work on your melee skill. If they keep killing you from a distance, maybe you should work on small weapons. Just work on the appropriate counters and you should be fine.

KillerDragonX
11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
yea i guess that could explain it, but the game is still fun

doomboy536
11-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I was fighting a couple of super mutants and of course went into VATS, then found I was able to shoot a grenade they had thrown out of the air and blow them apart. Best game EVAR :D

Chewbaka
11-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I was fighting a couple of super mutants and of course went into VATS, then found I was able to shoot a grenade they had thrown out of the air and blow them apart. Best game EVAR :DYou could've reduced the risk of taking any damage at all (not saying you took damage, but you could've) by starting out the fight with V.A.T.S. to see if anything could've been shot, such as the grenade. That's just me saying that though =/

Sagat
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Well I finally beat the game today, and wow. I did everything bad, had the status of "Scourge of Humanity" and I made all the evil choices at the end of the game.

Haahahhahaha. The ending was awesome needless to say.

And tonight, I'll start up a new game, playing as the big guns toting heavily armoured champion of justice.

KillerDragonX
11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
sounds like an idea lol

doomboy536
11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
You could've reduced the risk of taking any damage at all (not saying you took damage, but you could've) by starting out the fight with V.A.T.S. to see if anything could've been shot, such as the grenade. That's just me saying that though =/

Hmm I shall remember that for the future. I didn't take any damage either :D

In other news, my favourite weapon is now the bolt-action rifle. There's just something so...classy about it.

KillerDragonX
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
i think i said it before but i like using the Rock-It Launcher

The Governator
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I just convinced Henry Eden to blow himself and Raven Rock up have I feel a great sense of nostalgia here.

[BlackDeath]
11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
I managed to get a free copy of the game at brand new. To be honest I don't see what all the hype is, my impressions were that is was a more futuristic version of Oblivion. Don't get me wrong I liked Oblivion but it just got boring and repetitive fast. Only differences so far I notice is firstly the obvious of a futuristic apocalyptic setting, guns and computers instead of magic and swords. And the VTEC I think it is called (the part that makes you target the limbs).

So to try and sell me to the game more what is there it can offer later on, what can hook me into playing it?

The Governator
11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
;2173839']I managed to get a free copy of the game at brand new. To be honest I don't see what all the hype is, my impressions were that is was a more futuristic version of Oblivion. Don't get me wrong I liked Oblivion but it just got boring and repetitive fast. Only differences so far I notice is firstly the obvious of a futuristic apocalyptic setting, guns and computers instead of magic and swords. And the VTEC I think it is called (the part that makes you target the limbs).

So to try and sell me to the game more what is there it can offer later on, what can hook me into playing it?

VTEC is a Honda engine, you mean VATS.

I think that its more that Oblivion with guns, seriously.

[BlackDeath]
11-26-2008, 03:48 PM
VTEC is a Honda engine, you mean VATS.

I think that its more that Oblivion with guns, seriously.
Did you skip my whole post or something? Or was that too hard to understand?

Here, I'll put it simple for you

Why game good? neh? how's that?

So why is it more than Oblivion with guns then, tell me more without refering me to review sites like IGN and Gametrailers etc. who worship it like a God of gaming titles. What was asking for is for people who have your opinion to share it with more depth, I want to know what I can look forward to in the game, what makes it different than what I just described it as. At the moment I have it sitting in my games collection in a nice glass cabinet looking pretty as one of the games I say I own instead of actually playing it. Is there any replay value, what to look forward to further into the games progression and etc. Otherwise it will be sold shortly.

Sagat
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
;2173839']I managed to get a free copy of the game at brand new. To be honest I don't see what all the hype is, my impressions were that is was a more futuristic version of Oblivion. Don't get me wrong I liked Oblivion but it just got boring and repetitive fast. Only differences so far I notice is firstly the obvious of a futuristic apocalyptic setting, guns and computers instead of magic and swords. And the VTEC I think it is called (the part that makes you target the limbs).

You just started, can't get VATS right, have impressions of the game and are juding. You also found Oblivion - one of the best games ever - repetitive and boring?

Yeah .. Good luck with all that.

Eris
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
You just started, can't get VATS right, have impressions of the game and are juding. You also found Oblivion - one of the best games ever - repetitive and boring?

Yeah .. Good luck with all that.

Well, Oblivion is repetitive and boring. There is like a kazillion dungeons populated by stock enemies without any real story. Even the quests are in 9 cases out of 10 about fetching an object or killing an enemy.

FO3 on the other hand has a kazillion dungeons, where most of them has something to discover, and the quests are well crafted and interesting.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Well, Oblivion is repetitive and boring. There is like a kazillion dungeons populated by stock enemies without any real story. Even the quests are in 9 cases out of 10 about fetching an object or killing an enemy.

FO3 on the other hand has a kazillion dungeons, where most of them has something to discover, and the quests are well crafted and interesting.
You aren't including the brilliant Shivering Isles expansion in this assessment, I hope?

The selling point of the Elder Scrolls series is pretty much the huge number of caves to creature and loot. It's dungeon crawling par excellence. That's not for everyone, though. However, as a rule the vast majority of Fallout 3 missions are interesting and awesome so it gets pretty hard to juxtapose them, outside of the engine and interface.

Eris
11-26-2008, 06:07 PM
You aren't including the brilliant Shivering Isles expansion in this assessment, I hope?

The selling point of the Elder Scrolls series is pretty much the huge number of caves to creature and loot. It's dungeon crawling par excellence. That's not for everyone, though. However, as a rule the vast majority of Fallout 3 missions are interesting and awesome so it gets pretty hard to juxtapose them, outside of the engine and interface.

Shivering islands is pretty good. Vanilla oblivion is terrible. In general, the dungeons offer no reward at all: No sense of purpose, or treasure worth hunting for. It's just just another dungeon, populated by the exact same creatures as the last 30 dungeons you raided, looking pretty much exactly like the last 3 dungeons you raided. It's just XP farming.

Manhattan_Project_2000
11-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Shivering islands is pretty good. Vanilla oblivion is terrible. In general, the dungeons offer no reward at all: No sense of purpose, or treasure worth hunting for. It's just just another dungeon, populated by the exact same creatures as the last 30 dungeons you raided, looking pretty much exactly like the last 3 dungeons you raided. It's just XP farming.
On that note, I'm kind of sad FO3 followed FO 1&2's example and stopped at 20 levels. I wanted epic levels. I wanted to be able to inexplicably dual-wield Fat Boys while running at 40 miles an hour after an irradiated sperm whale that crushed Rivet City.

[BlackDeath]
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Yeah .. Good luck with all that.Nothing hard with VATS, even a monkey with no arms and the brain capacity of a brick could understand the VATS system and even use it. Infact it is so simplistic anyone can pick it up and play, which is good for more casual players. But it's more like "hey stand still while I have an infinite amount of time to decide which part of you I will blow off" Of course I have impressions and am judging, may seem odd but I tend to form those after experiencing something new like many other people who can think for themselves.

So how isn't it like Oblivion? Paint the green hills grey, add in some bombed out houses and through some clusters of rocks here and there and viola - Fallout terrain in a nutshell. Like others have said, quests are composed of the same type of thing, kill this, get that, speak to him/her. Much like Oblivion the sheer scale of the land is huge and exploring that whilst stealing peoples pants without them even noticing is enjoyable. I do find it funny how people said you can do anything, so you murder a whole town/village but when it comes down to the children they are invincilble. If only they made the kids fight then maybe there wouldn't be as many deaths. The freedom you get to do things with is nice, being able to choose pretty much anything, but in the end that reminded about something else known to people called 'life' and 'living'. Fallout does have an appealing land to explore as that could very well be the possible outcome of this planet in the future. But the case is pretty much "been there, done that" in terms of the game, aside from the land and slightly less boring quests to do.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to take low blows to the game, Oblivion and Fallout are both good games, just boring fast. As I said, was wondering what more it has to offer. If I can look forward to something then it gives me more incentive to follow through with it longer.

Eris
11-26-2008, 07:31 PM
;2174064']Like others have said, quests are composed of the same type of thing, kill this, get that, speak to him/her.

Uh, this is just not correct. The FO3 quests are nothing like the Oblivion quests. The Oblivion quests are infinitely more shallow. The average Oblivion quest is like "Kill 10 mudcrabs / find the ring I lost in the woods, return for a minor reward."

Most quests in FO3 have a well crafted background story, and are solvable in a variety of ways, including violence, speech, and betraying on the quest giver.

Kojack
11-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I didn't like Morroblivion very much, but I'm greatly enjoying this game. Last night I was exploring the sunken half of the Rivet City aircraft carrier and saw something oval sitting in the corner. I figure it's a bug and shoot it with my laser. Turns out it's a grenade; I catch fire and die.

Eris
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't like Morroblivion very much, but I'm greatly enjoying this game. Last night I was exploring the sunken half of the Rivet City aircraft carrier and saw something oval sitting in the corner. I figure it's a bug and shoot it with my laser. Turns out it's a grenade; I catch fire and die.

You've got to love the hostile environment in FO3. I was exploring the wasteland, and found the ruins of a church on a hill. I walked in the front door, and tripped a wire, setting off a shotgun blast to my face. Then I was ambushed by half a dozen of raiders.

Chewbaka
12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
You've got to love the hostile environment in FO3. I was exploring the wasteland, and found the ruins of a church on a hill. I walked in the front door, and tripped a wire, setting off a shotgun blast to my face. Then I was ambushed by half a dozen of raiders. Ahh, I love those traps. I do love how you really have to pay attention for those trip wires, or else you get blasted and/or hit with a giant piece of meat. That's why I skipped the perk which allowed me to bypass those traps. It takes the fun away. It really does.

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
You've got to love the hostile environment in FO3. I was exploring the wasteland, and found the ruins of a church on a hill. I walked in the front door, and tripped a wire, setting off a shotgun blast to my face. Then I was ambushed by half a dozen of raiders.
I was disappointed with the Shotgun traps because they never did much damage. The only trap that ever really intimidated me were the Fake Computer Bombs.

Me: Oh, look. A computer. Maybe I can use it to soften up those mutants in the other room.
Computer: -Snap- -Crackle- -Pop- *BOOM*
Me: Oh great, now I'm a cripple.
Mutant: ME HEAR SOMETHING

It only ever got me killed once when I was checking a computer with low health, though.

Chewbaka
12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I was disappointed with the Shotgun traps because they never did much damage. The only trap that ever really intimidated me were the Fake Computer Bombs.

Me: Oh, look. A computer. Maybe I can use it to soften up those mutants in the other room.
Computer: -Snap- -Crackle- -Pop- *BOOM*
Me: Oh great, now I'm a cripple.
Mutant: ME HEAR SOMETHING

It only ever got me killed once when I was checking a computer with low health, though.Those...those things are evil. Very evil. It's hard to tell which will explode too, since they say the same thing, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Let me ask this: what companions did anyone find and use? I currently have Charon. Turns out Jericho is an incompetent little crap who won't follow me anywhere I go. What a waste of 1000 caps.

Cloud.
12-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Sorry to bump, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so I figured we could discuss it a little more.

To answer the above question, I hear Charon, Fawkes, Clover, and Cross are pretty much the best companions. I prefer to travel alone, as I don't feel like babysitting someone else when I just want to wander without a weight tied around my neck.

Chewbaka
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Sorry to bump, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this game so I figured we could discuss it a little more.

To answer the above question, I hear Charon, Fawkes, Clover, and Cross are pretty much the best companions. I prefer to travel alone, as I don't feel like babysitting someone else when I just want to wander without a weight tied around my neck.You don't need to babysit if you give them proper armor. Most companions can use Power Armor already (bastards) and they can hold their own if they have ranged weapons. On one of my saves, I have Jericho (finally got him to move) wearing Outcast P.A. and he seems to hold it. =3

MomijiTMO
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Well I have Fawkes and Star whatever. Fawkes destroys everything [when he sees them]. The BOS girl is alright with chinese assault riffle and I gave her Enclave armour.

The Governator
12-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Well I have Fawkes and Star whatever. Fawkes destroys everything [when he sees them]. The BOS girl is alright with chinese assault riffle and I gave her Enclave armour.

(Fawkes was a she.)

Anyone hear of the three downloadable content packs being released next year? they sound awsome, the first one is Operation Anchorage, the liberation of Alaska, yes, you get to fight in the Great War. The other two are The Pitt, it adds a new area(Pittsburgh, now an industrial raider town) where a choose your side scenario based on your karma will happen, and the final, and biggest one is Broken Steel, where you join the ranks of the BoS and help them defeat the remenants of the Enclave. Yes it contiues after the quest, raises the level cap, adds new enemies and new perks.

Oh and they are Xbox 360 and PC Exclusive.

MomijiTMO
12-21-2008, 05:30 AM
Yeah I always forget that lol.

I'm waiting for them. We shall go past level 20 peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started losing interest when I hit 20. Now I hope people understand why I won't touch WoW.

wowzabunny
12-21-2008, 05:55 AM
I want to get this game
it looks so awesome

MomijiTMO
12-21-2008, 06:22 AM
This made me pick up Oblivion . . .. . :D.

Chewbaka
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah I always forget that lol.

I'm waiting for them. We shall go past level 20 peoples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started losing interest when I hit 20. Now I hope people understand why I won't touch WoW.You can force the game to go above level 20 via mods or the advlevel command. I'm using a Level 100 mod with a free play one to compliment it. It's good fun killing random things at random times.

Lincoln's Repeater blew my mind on how awesome of a two handed weapon it is. Only downside is it takes .44 Magnum rounds. Still a great rifle to own. I do favor me the Ol' Painless rifle more than the Lincoln's Repeater.

Good stuff.

MomijiTMO
12-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh ok lol.

Why is that gun so loved? In my build I maxed out small guns and I think the damage it did was 47 or something. Maybe cause I have the vengeance I'm not finding this impressive? That thing is over the top.

The Governator
12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh ok lol.

Why is that gun so loved? In my build I maxed out small guns and I think the damage it did was 47 or something. Maybe cause I have the vengeance I'm not finding this impressive? That thing is over the top.

What about the Fat Man, it fires nukes, NUKES GOD DAMN YOU! if that doesnot impress you, MomijiTMO, you are beyond help. (Oh and just to remind you all, Eugene is full of win, it does for my current save 76 damage, at about 60% while a 100% Minigun does 10 damage less).

And why the heck can I not find Fort Constantine, I WANT MY T-51B GODDAMN IT! Yeah, I need some help finding it, I just can't remember for the life in me where that stinking fort is.

MomijiTMO
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I never found it either =p.

Eh nukes like who cares lol. The Vengeance does over 150! The Eugene was doing 110 the last time I checked. Gattling laser ftw!

I've never even used the Fatman. I mean I have one at about 90% and it does 14xx damage but I imagine the only thing it would be awesome at is a behemoth.

[while I am good with every gun, I can't open locks lol. I have maxed out science but yeah all the good stuff is in locked doors and not in safes with terminals.]

and no I don't want to use the console

EDIT : Have you got a maxed repair skill? Why not repair that Eugene with the 100% mini?

Eris
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I've never even used the Fatman. I mean I have one at about 90% and it does 14xx damage but I imagine the only thing it would be awesome at is a behemoth.

Seeing as how often you come over Fatman ammo, I've used it against various ridiculous targets (like a room full of ghouls when I was low on conventional ammo)

Manhattan_Project_2000
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I carry the fatman around, but never use it. Walk softly and carry a big stick, etcetera.

The Governator
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I've used the fat man on a single bloat fly, is that a waste of ammo or epic awsomeness?

And I only have like 78 repair skill, if I did have 100 I would, but meh, life sucks. And a 100& Fat man apparently can do over 1000 damage, apparently.

MomijiTMO
12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Ahhhahaha that's awesome. Yeah it does over 1400 damage. On my next game, I'm upping the difficulty [cause normal was far to easy] and going to master repair, small guns, energy weapons and science. I hope I can get at least 50 in lockpick but I dunno. I've only ever found 2 fatman, I know the rest are in doors I can't open =D.