PDA

View Full Version : The Zone

SGI
10-17-2003, 04:55 PM
We have all had it, some circumstance where for some unknown reason all of a sudden, for a short period of time, you become the absolute god in your favourite videogame. Where nothing is unstoppable.

Tell us your Zone experiences

-A few minutes ago I entered the zone while playing Sakura Taisen 3. Having got the game back after 4 months of lending I decided to play the archery mini-game (Hanabi's Mini game) in boredom. Having had trouble getting past the third course, unbeknownst to me I suddenly started kicking major buttoccks performing uber l33t shots. And got the top score XD.

Regex
10-17-2003, 05:14 PM
I got that way the first time I played Soul Calibur 2. Nobody could beat me at all, and that really bugged my friends. You see, I normally suck hardcore at fighting games, and these guys are usually pretty good. But I was beating them all far too well.

SGI
10-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Heck I remember at a party my mate Kai challenged me to psychic force 2012 on Dreamcast. I had never played it before, and ive seen him play, and hes really good at it. Sadly I effortlessly thrashed him, 3 times straight.

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Ooh. I remember this one christmas party my sister dragged me to at my cousins, I was the only kid, I was like in 9th grade.

And Derik had a dreamcast, and some fighting game on it, I pwned everyone. I was unstoppable.

...Then I went to the bathroom, came back, and starting losing. ;.;

I want that game, that game ruled.

I 'unno what it was called though.

It had a chick with like, stars and moons on her pants!

SGI
10-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Sounds like Soul Calibur, and the girl you were refering to was Xianghua... she's MINE!

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 06:11 PM
That might be it, I don't remember though. I should look it up. I want that game bad.

Must find a dreamcast.

SGI
10-17-2003, 06:25 PM
The beauty of the Dreamcast, get some mad import games *coughcoughsakurawars3coughcough* and all you need is a freely available cd to play imports (Action Replay Demo CD is sw33t)

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 06:35 PM
You lost me there, I don't know that much.

AznAnimeFreak
10-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Yup, I been in da zone plenty of times, always for about 4 hours.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-17-2003, 08:11 PM
A mounth or two ago, I was playing ROTK8, and ended up attacking Dong Zhou with myself (Cao Cao), Lu Bu, Xiahou Dun, and some other guy. The other side had a ton of officers and men. After reinforcements, the number of troops was something like my 60000 vs their 120000. Well, to make a long story short, I won with something like 40000 troops to 10000. My Lame Reinforcements commited suicide, and I only lost one officer I commanded. It was frickin' sweet

AznAnimeFreak
10-17-2003, 11:31 PM
kool but what is that game called? I think you're talking about Dynasty warriors...

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
ROTK8 Is Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8. Its based on the same story, but its a turn-based city-building strategy w/ real time battles, and a complicated political model. In other words, High-End Nerd Stuff. :)

/Aifa|
10-19-2003, 10:31 PM
I dont think its possible to enter the zone with any street fighter game. I mean, whenever i think im unstoppable at a street fighter game, i end up getting owned at the arcades by some 14-hit combo freak.

Regex
10-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Just means your zone-time is over :P

I abhor the Dreamcast, though Soul Calibur was pretty good. But Soul Calibur 2 is very much like it, and that's out for GameCube and PS2 (and those are all that matter)

kadaan
10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
50kills 1death in a 10v10 counterstrike game, all my shots found their target and everyone on the other team accused me of cheating :(

SGI
10-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Was it something like..

OMFG CH34T 41MB07 F00!

spider-man-old
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
the game for dreamcast ai was talking about sounds like power stone as well....

Anyway this one time my friend and I hit the zone simultaniously, playing tekken 2. I lei and he was baek we actually played 3 rounds where neither of us hit one another( although not for lack of trying) we both ended up just flopping all arounf eahothers attcks it was pretty damn neat.

Daenerys
10-22-2003, 07:29 PM
What's Power Stone? The name doesn't seem familiar at all.

kadaan
10-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Power Stone was great, it's a fighting game unlike most other fighting games. You can play with up to 4 players and the levels are interactive (guns you can hop in to, boxes you can throw, chests that spawn with different items). Power Stone refers to crystals you can collect to become super-powered for a short amount of time. I played my freshman year of college, it's a great game to play with friends when you're drunk :).

EDIT: After looking at screenshots I realized the one I played was Power Stone 2, but I'm assuming the first was similar. Some screenshots here (http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?channel_id=62&object_id=14765&adtag=network=ign&site=dreamcast&pagetype=medialist&page_title=Power%20Stone%202).

spider-man-old
10-23-2003, 12:52 AM
Theres a game where it was easy to get into the zone in. when you get those stones you are unstoppable... so very much fun... I miss my dreamcast.

AznAnimeFreak
11-07-2003, 08:08 PM
You know what the Zone is? (this is after I've given it some thought) the Zone is a holy sanctuary, where you cannot be disturbed while you are in it.

spider-man-old
11-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I agree, if anyone is bothered once in the zone the perpetraitor should be punished for there transgression of blasphemy..... hooray for random big words. You snollygotters.

Naota
11-10-2003, 01:13 AM
God Damn! You guys don't understand the awsome feeling you get when you master a video game like no other! Okay there is this little Capcom Figther (that most of you might not like) by the name of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter for the playstation. Okay I know it's not arcade perfect with all the damn frames and crap, but this is the best playstation one Capcom versus game (notice how I say playstation ONE) because it's sooo fast. Anyways there's this code you can have where both characters can have unlimited hyper combo gauges. And it's for both characters so its fair right? But my skill for this game is sooooo excellent that no one can beat me, and trust me my friends are damn good players. I murder them by linking my hyper combo super moves one after another; Right when one move is completed. And even without the code I'm impossible to beat. Well it's hard for you guys to know what I am blabing about cuz I'm sure most of you haven't played this game. But my point is that it's (like I said up there) an awsome feeling mastering a video game. *gets stared at*..... :huh:

Regex
11-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Wow okay.. I'm a hardcore gamer, but I don't think I ever get that intense when I'm owning at a game. I mean, I just zip through everything, and move on. I find it much more exciting when a game is truly challenging me, and I have to completely concentrate just to barely make it. THAT is when I get that rush you are talking about.

Daenerys
11-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Y'know, I was doing damn good in GTA the other day, I got almost all the missions (But the last one in portland) in one sitting, and then wham, I go to pick up a hooker in Harwood, and I get carjacked.

....Twice.

spider-man-old
11-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Naota@Nov 10 2003, 12:07 AM
God Damn! You guys don't understand the awsome feeling you get when you master a video game like no other! Okay there is this little Capcom Figther (that most of you might not like) by the name of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter for the playstation. Okay I know it's not arcade perfect with all the damn frames and crap, but this is the best playstation one Capcom versus game (notice how I say playstation ONE) because it's sooo fast. Anyways there's this code you can have where both characters can have unlimited hyper combo gauges. And it's for both characters so its fair right? But my skill for this game is sooooo excellent that no one can beat me, and trust me my friends are damn good players. I murder them by linking my hyper combo super moves one after another; Right when one move is completed. And even without the code I'm impossible to beat. Well it's hard for you guys to know what I am blabing about cuz I'm sure most of you haven't played this game. But my point is that it's (like I said up there) an awsome feeling mastering a video game. *gets stared at*..... :huh:
I hate capcom verus games. Although I like marvel vs. capcom because there is a carnage code, and it's fun to beat up people as venom and carnage quite fun.

Daenerys
11-12-2003, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I agree. You can't be in the zone on crappy games.

onslaught2029
11-18-2003, 09:11 PM
When playing Ocarina of Time for the first time, i hit the zone and played for about 15 hours straight. I didn't get too much done because i was too in awe of the graphics and gameplay, but that was the most time i've spent in the zone. The only time i come close is playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the hardest difficulty.

Jimbo
11-18-2003, 11:11 PM
I've been in the zone a couple of times. I was playing counter-strike this one time and was able to get a 102-4 kill to death ratio. Obviously I was accused of hacking, but oh well at least I know I wasn't. The funny part is that around 40% of the kills were knives...the people I played were kinda dumb.

Playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 with your brother and two cousins for 10 hours is fun. I picked Donkey Kong and pwned everyone, even though they said Donkey sucked. I love how he can pick up a guy and jump off the stage, sacrificing himself and killing the other dude in the process, so cheap when I have a 2 life to 1 life advantage.

I was playing Guiltry Gear X2 for the PS2(If you don't have this game, it's great, you should think about getting it, think old school Street Fighter with better graphics and characters you've never heard of, very much a sleeper hit), and I was killing my two buddies with Baiken. I just love her counters, so so cheap.

I've experienced "The Zone" more times than I can imagine, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. It was cool reading what you guys experienced and I'm glad I'm not the only hardcore gamer out there.

Daenerys
11-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by onslaught2029@Nov 18 2003, 06:05 PM
When playing Ocarina of Time for the first time, i hit the zone and played for about 15 hours straight. I didn't get too much done because i was too in awe of the graphics and gameplay, but that was the most time i've spent in the zone. The only time i come close is playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the hardest difficulty.
Haha, I did that when I got that one too. It was the coolest thing ever, I missed the bus to school so many times because I'd be playing it. :D

I was like that with Wild Arms 2 for a few days, but then I just stopped playing, can't remember why.

Anyone ever been in the zone with a game that you absolutely loved, but now you hate playing it?

Naota
11-20-2003, 08:11 PM
<_< whatever. This is not about judging games and like I said earlier "...not many people play these games"....so I don&#39;t really see a point on the posts we are...radditz? and Ai made, being in the zone can be for any game regardless if you think it sucks. For example I really didn&#39;t know what the big deal of Ocarina of time was. I bought the game, beat it and that&#39;s all nothing special to me. *gasp*...I&#39;m a 2-D Fanboy I guess....and only like 3-D games once in a while. Oh and by the way Jimbo I loved Guilty Gear X games I&#39;ve got them all&#33; Part 3 is coming out soon and it&#39;s 4 player simultanious play&#33; B)

OK people I&#39;m ready to get flamed by all of you who adore Ocarina Of Time&#33;. I&#39;m not one to argue on Forums so I&#39;ll just ignore all the insults. Just remember people are different&#33; I mean Whatever happened to being open minded huh?.....*closes eyes and fears the worst*

Jimbo
11-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Naota are you serious?&#33;? I presume it&#39;s out in Japan already??? I should just get an import, jeez so they went all Versus series on it huh. I hope it won&#39;t affect the gameplay too much, I really enjoyed Guilty Gear X and X2, both sleeper hits. Anyways, I just got in the zone again the other day.

I raider rushed 10 games in a row and won in WarCraft 3. If you know what I&#39;m talking about you probably are going "WHAT THE" and if you don&#39;t know you&#39;re probably going "WHAT THE???" Raider Rushing is funny, and everytime I kill the guy he says "Ensnare needs to be nerfed. To give you an idea of what I do, I tech to a Stronghold. I annoy with my blademaster and buy time until I get a Far Seer. Then I annoy with both heroes, while making my raiders in my base. I usually wait for lvl 2 weapon upgrade and pillage, and wait until I get at least 6 raiders. Once I have my attack squad I send them to the enemy base. I just hit the main building until it dies, then TP or run out. Usually they leave the game when their main building is gone, and if they stay I just get docs and tauren.

Okay, if you understood that yay&#33; If not thanks for reading it lol. Have a nice day&#33;

AznAnimeFreak
11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Princess Ai@Nov 12 2003, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I agree. You can&#39;t be in the zone on crappy games.
that&#39;s right. Only on seriously, addictive games...

HODGES
11-24-2003, 01:35 AM
i got in the zone on halo XBOX. me and my friend played it on hero for about 6 hours, died 3 times vs his 12. amzing game but an absolute b#tch at times. try doing the leevl with the brood, covenenant and the robots whikle u have to blow up those 3 pipes on hero. painful experience

AznAnimeFreak
12-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Nov 19 2003, 12:05 AM
I&#39;ve been in the zone a couple of times. I was playing counter-strike this one time and was able to get a 102-4 kill to death ratio. Obviously I was accused of hacking, but oh well at least I know I wasn&#39;t. The funny part is that around 40% of the kills were knives...the people I played were kinda dumb.

Playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 with your brother and two cousins for 10 hours is fun. I picked Donkey Kong and pwned everyone, even though they said Donkey sucked. I love how he can pick up a guy and jump off the stage, sacrificing himself and killing the other dude in the process, so cheap when I have a 2 life to 1 life advantage.

I was playing Guiltry Gear X2 for the PS2(If you don&#39;t have this game, it&#39;s great, you should think about getting it, think old school Street Fighter with better graphics and characters you&#39;ve never heard of, very much a sleeper hit), and I was killing my two buddies with Baiken. I just love her counters, so so cheap.

I&#39;ve experienced "The Zone" more times than I can imagine, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment. It was cool reading what you guys experienced and I&#39;m glad I&#39;m not the only hardcore gamer out there.
same...DUDE THAT RATIO IS OFF THE HOOK&#33;

squall_leonhart
12-05-2003, 06:27 PM
I had a score of 90 kills to 7 deaths on a 8v8 i was playin at a small internet cafe every 1 was playin i would hav more kill but my m8 to we had a race to 90 kills i one every that whole day i was in the zone for counter strike

LXnekket
12-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I think online games get people zoned in more than other type of game. Especially games like StarCraft, Counter-Strike, Unreal, and some of the MMORPGs.

squall_leonhart
12-06-2003, 08:39 AM
i love most online games but i hav never seen a free MMORPG every 1 i hav seen u hav to pay monthly and stuff if there is a free 1 plz tell me