PDA

View Full Version : Major Spam Issues

MistressPookyChan
10-17-2003, 02:58 PM
There is a major spam problem. I think it's caused by people wanting to boost their post count. I've tried to settle it down in AW.com, but when I've talked to others about it in other forums, I've been told that it was okay. Do we have any sort of ruling on it, or is it now okay to just post random one-sentance posts that have no reason value?

Cloud Strife
10-17-2003, 03:00 PM
it isn't ok. and i'm not doing it because i want to boost my post count (even though i said i want to hit 300 before ai hits 400) it's because i want to be known as active. that's why i post a lot. i'm just catching up with other peoples posts so im not confused. that's all.

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Kaitou's been browsing the board and awful lot, if he thinks something's spammy, he'd close it.

It's mainly up to the mod of that forum.

Cloud Strife
10-17-2003, 04:36 PM
basically. so i haven't seen forums. so if i have. i'll let someone know. or ai will. simple as that. thanks for the concern though. kaitou will be happy with that.

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
I have a question though, what exactly is your deffinition of spam? This goes for anyone to answer, I'm curious.

Personally, I go with the way it's always been at AG, one worded posts, or just smilie posts.

I mean, if people are talking back and forth in a thread, it shouldn't be considered bad unless they're fighting or etc. I mean, that's what a message board is about, right?

MistressPookyChan
10-17-2003, 07:44 PM
I personally believe that conversation between two people can be taken to email/IM/pm/whatever. if it doesnt concern anyone else, it doesnt need to be here. There are topics for a reason; to be discussed. Why not get rid of the forums and just turn it into a chat room, because that's what it seems to be right now.

trust me, if I had authority over other forums, i would do something about it. Sure, i may seem strict, but it keeps the forums clean and is more inviting to guests.

Daenerys
10-17-2003, 08:35 PM
That's why Kaitou lets you write your own forum rules.

AG has always been like this, I'm sorry you never noticed before. I personally don't think it's that big of a problem, and if it was, Kaitou or Bean would have taken care of it.

Fabala
10-18-2003, 02:50 AM
If it's gone completely off-topic and is solely a subject discussed between two people, that's one thing. I would consider that spamming. But if you have a group of people replying and they grow sidetracked onto another topic, I don't see it as the end of the world. Isn't that what a message board is primarily for? The expression and exchange of thoughts and ideas?

In Miscellaneous, for example, I know there are several topics with conversations going every which way. However those are get-to-know-you type topics, I believe, as well as most topics in the beginning of a board. Sure, AG existed beforehand, but it's been a while. It's nice to see personalities taking shape, learning the interests of each other, without having to resort of PMs.

And rest assured, I believe the majority of those post-everywhere-to-raise-my-count-and-become-a-mod are not in all seriousness. ^^ I *know* it's true for some of them.

Bean Bandit
10-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Misc forum will always have off topics, and Rei is correct. They do sometimes go in 4 or 5 directions at once, and it is ok by me.

What is Misc?

It is what they post. Odds and ends and a place to go have fun. Most of the other forums have a theme. Misc does not. It gives the users a place to go and let there hair down and just have fun. If I do miss something other users normally let me know immediately and then it is solved. But I see Misc, as a place to unwind when your bored or are just wanting to have fun.

Kaitou Ace
10-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Ah hai ^_^;;
It shouldn't really be happening in other forums, but misc, is basicaly what it's for. And as it is the new start of AG, I don't mind letting people be a bit more off topic in there, because it does give the board more of a busy and a friendly admosphere, which could help attract newbies ^_^;;

Cloud Strife
10-18-2003, 04:29 PM
i come to this place to have fun. not for post counts. ^_^

Daenerys
10-18-2003, 06:06 PM
The only spam problem right now, is Chii-chan.

Chii-chan
The only spam problem right now, is Chii-chan.
There might be others. :wub:

Daenerys
Well, I'm not one of them anyway. So don't come knocking on my door! --Slap--

Kensora Nirvasu
10-19-2003, 04:20 AM
I may be a potential spam problem in the future. O_o;

heh, just kidding, but.. Chii-san.. I can just sit there and talk to her all night (Which is what I have been doing). >_>;; Maybe it's because of that attention span thing.. with the gerbils.. o.o;;

And, I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to keep all the posts I got from talking to Chii, too. They going to be removed, Ace? 'cause.. talking to her like that is almost like spamming. o.o;

Telsa Starling
10-19-2003, 05:27 AM
Not to sound rude or anything but I don't see a problem. I really really don't. I see a gathering of loyal AG board-goers posting to make the board once again busy and active. I do so hope that they continue to be productive on this board as it seems to attract more attention than a thread that's been sitting there for weeks with no replies because someone has not had anything to reply to it without being shorter than 3 sentances.. I agree with cloud.. I never really knew AG and A-M to be overly strict forums.. It's for fun, ne? Not post counts. New board though, things could change.

Daenerys
10-19-2003, 02:59 PM
AG has always been like this, except for the rare times when we had power hungry mods. But they're gone now. And it's all nice now. :D

Jakiao
10-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Go check my pinned post in misc. Notice what happened there? That's an example. Anyway, I added 15 seconds to the flood control.

Also, Ai is right, it is always like this. o_O;; so uh, yeah.

Cloud Strife
10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
well it's probably better that you added more time to the flood control cuz when i took a break for two days over the weekend i noticed a 31 page topic under the chii topic. it's insane i tell ya :-p

Regex
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Though it may always be like this, it isn't what a message board is for. I see what has happened here, and I did see a lot of spam. I haven't seen it as a problem in any of the forums other than misc, but as Pooky has also said, when it becomes a straight up conversation between people, replying to the same thread so quickly that you're hitting the flood control, I think that's what the chat room is for. As for showing that you're active, I don't think you have to have a massive post count for that to show. I'm very glad that this has been brought up by someone other than me, because I was starting to feel like I was the only one who felt this way.

And as for Chii-chan, she's fun to play with, but boy was it hard to keep up with her thread. @[email protected] But the spam in that thread, I kind of understand.

Chii-chan
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Though it may always be like this, it isn't what a message board is for. I see what has happened here, and I did see a lot of spam. I haven't seen it as a problem in any of the forums other than misc, but as Pooky has also said, when it becomes a straight up conversation between people, replying to the same thread so quickly that you're hitting the flood control, I think that's what the chat room is for. As for showing that you're active, I don't think you have to have a massive post count for that to show. I'm very glad that this has been brought up by someone other than me, because I was starting to feel like I was the only one who felt this way.

And as for Chii-chan, she's fun to play with, but boy was it hard to keep up with her thread. @[email protected] But the spam in that thread, I kind of understand.
:ph34r:

Cloud Strife
10-20-2003, 12:08 PM
i completely agree with member name. chii is hard to keep up with.
but i love talking to her so it's all good ^_^ she's very smart.

Daenerys
10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
You guys don't understand though, you weren't always at AG. This is how AG has always been, it's had a friendly atsmophere, always. Even when we had the two mods who were against us making a -single- post off topic, it was like this.

This is the way AG is, and if it changes, what's the point of even keeping it open? We should just go to Tux, as useless that board has become.

Cloud Strife
10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
i tried getting on the tux board today but it lags so much. that's why i choose this board and darkfyreanime. they're fun.

and i completely understand that A-G is a friendly atmosphere. i've been here for 5 days and it's been great.

MistressPookyChan
10-20-2003, 04:21 PM
I was at old AG and it was never this bad except for a handful of people that thought large post count was important. it was friendly, but not annoying.

Daenerys
10-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Pooky, you weren't at the OLD Ag, you were at the AG when people stopped coming to AG because there were too many flames.

And personally, I think we should stop arguing about the spam issues, and let Kaitou take care of it, it's his board, not ours.

It's not your place to accuse everyone of spamming, and to look down on us. Personally, I think you need to get off your high horse. Before you weren't this bad, but now, you're acting like you own the board, and I'm not the only one who thinks this, so don't tell me to shut up because I'm entitled to my opinion.

MistressPookyChan
10-20-2003, 05:59 PM
I know i don't own the board, never said i did. the only reason I brought it up was because others mentioned it to me. I talked to Ace about this and even told him that it was up to him because it's his board. Modding or having any sort of power is not important to me, but since i was asked to do it (yes, asked, not me asking to be mod), I will do it.

personal attacks are not necissary. I didn't do it to you (nor did i ever tell you to shut up), so don't start it towards me.

As I told Ace, I'm done with this discussion on spam, but when it's a personal attack I will speak up.

Telsa Starling
10-20-2003, 06:13 PM
This post needs closed uber bad.

As for the both of you. You two are mods attacking each other. How is that going to look to the newbies at this board? Not too good i'm guessing. I agree with Ai though on all aspects of her post. Ai was not attacking you. Ai has her own opinion and you really can't argue with someone's opinion. As for Kaitou, don't use him against the board to try and scare people away from speaking up in this topic. I am sure he can speak for himself on the matter. I think the conclusion to this post was: AG has always been like this and it's a friendly place to come.

Again. This doesn't seen too friendly to me. Not that I am disagreeing to the point. Let's all stop arguing, please, and move onto the next subject at hand?

Oh and. My post isn't a personal attack nor a flame towards MistressPookyChan. It is my opinion and mine alone.

Jakiao
10-20-2003, 06:47 PM
I agree, so it is closed.

Funny how a topic complaining about spam in the forum too gets spammed.

If Ace chooses it to be reopened, then so be it. But, at the moment, closed.