PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started: Cosplay Making

Lola Granola
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
This year I'd like to make my costume completely by hand. Problem? Don't know where to begin! Has anyone made a cosplay outfit completely by hand? Sewing machine required? Where is / what is the best place to learn how to sew (besides mom)? How did you learn? I'm trying to make Kitana from Mortal Kombat, except I don't think leather-like material would be easy for beginners.

Ωmega
09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, theres always the option of buying very plain, basic stuff [like skirts and swimsuits] and modifying it from there.

However, if you mean like, completely from scratch, then a sewing machine is a definite must. You should also find an arts and crafts store [Michaels might be your best bet] and see if they offer classes for sewing or if they have any good reference books on how to sew.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
09-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry if this is bad news, but I learned from my mom, who learned from her friend.

However, I would go with what Maru. Start of simple. Heck, if you think you're ready, just take a look at a bathing suit. Where are the seams? How is it constructed? Don't focus on the material though, of course. But what ever you do, do not buy your cosplay. That shows laziness and lack of creativity. If you want to be taken seriously, I'd recommend making it. If it turns out not the way you want it (which it will in the beginning), who cares? You made it.

I personally sew by hand. Actually, this is really sad, but I don't know how to use a sewing machine. This is a major downfall though. Learn how to use a sewing machine or else it will take you forever. Especially when adding trim. I actually make more props than I do sew. My mother, by the way, learned most of her hand sewing from books though. If you want books, I'd recommend looking at the actual pages, instead of buying it off Amazon or something. You want something with a lot of pictures.

On one last note, get patterns! They might be a little expensive, but they're damn handy. When you get really good, you can modify patterns :3. Remember, make major mistakes so that you can learn from them. Sewing isn't an overnight skill.

CroSsplay!
09-17-2008, 02:56 AM
I agree ^^^

The major problem you are going to face with that cosplay is the pleather.
I personaly have come to HATE pleather, it has sent meny of my sewing mechs to there deaths. but hay thats why we do it :p
A good substitute for leather but it has its draw backs.
1 it puts alot of strain on a sewing mech (only if your as impationt as me an u force feed to fast :p ).

there are some good points though...
Its Cheap!! and there for you can mess up as much as you want!

anyway good luck!!

MangaTweaker
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with the part about patterns. They are a ton of help. Also either draw or get several pictures of what you want to create. Not just the front and back but several different angles. You can also change and modify it to be the same but have little nuances that make it unique and you.
My mom sews everything but I prefer doing larger and simplier things on a machine. Do small and important details by hand. Also cut out a couple pieces fabric and practice both methods. There are diffrent styles to hand sewing and it's best you learn what fits you best.
Also even if the material looks like it should be leather you don't have to use leather. There are a variety of fabrics that will look the same but be more cost efficient and breath better. Try fabric stores like Jo-Anns and Hancock Fabrics and just look at what you can afford and what would be best. I know that at Jo-Anns they help you with what would be best when sewing with what.

Lavos
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Leather is expensive. You would probably want to go with a synthetic fabric. I learned to sew from a friend. Patterns are what I use. I find something similar, and alter it to look like what I need it to.

Lola Granola
09-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice. I have the boots, and bought a black body suit to start with.

CroSsplay!
09-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice. I have the boots, and bought a black body suit to start with.
No problem ^.^

make sure you upload pics after its done.

Ginji Armano
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Use PVC material, though it might be a bit warm. Have fun with making your costume!! It might be a little hard and tiring, but the results will be satisfying, surely.

hitohikamisoul777
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey, umm, is it okay for a guy to learn how to sew if it's for cosplay??? I want to make a sora cosplay costume, you may have (or may not have judging by the lack of replies) seen the post by my friend ai frostbite, about the cosplay, so yeah... Oh, and Good luck with your Katana Costume (Katana's a babe, drools... ^.^; JK)

Celes Victoria
10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Its is okay for guys to sew their own costumes - whoever said its not okay? o____o

ai_frostbite
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey, umm, is it okay for a guy to learn how to sew if it's for cosplay??? I want to make a sora cosplay costume, you may have (or may not have judging by the lack of replies) seen the post by my friend ai frostbite, about the cosplay, so yeah... Oh, and Good luck with your Katana Costume (Katana's a babe, drools... ^.^; JK)
acually,
i can sew...
pretty decent acually....
if you help provide the materials...
i can help sew it
^.^
i was in home ec. for two years....
i can do something...
mabe you can come over this weekend if your mom doesnt freak...
[{(sorry about this morning]})