PDA

View Full Version : The Fall Of Adult Swim

Robin Sena
09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't know if it's already posted before, so sue me. As of now, Adult Swim is eliminating much of the anime we grew up with in favour of orginal programming, and earmaking whatever remaining anime for the graveyard slot. Sad, sad, day.

Anyhow, the following series was scheduled for this Saturday evening and Sunday morning:

Time Title
11:00 Metalocalypse
11:30 The Venture Brothers
12:00 Shin Chan
12:30 Bleach
01:00 Code Geass
01:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
02:00 Metalocalypse
02:30 The Venture Brothers
03:00 Shin Chan
03:30 Bleach
04:00 Code Geass
04:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
05:00 Inuyasha
05:30 Inuyasha

* All times are Eastern/Pacific Time

After the change, the schedule now reads:

Time Title
11:00 Bleach
11:30 Fullmetal Alchemist
12:00 Robot Chicken
12:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
12:30 Metalocalypse
01:00 Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
01:15 A**y McGee
01:30 Squidbillies
01:45 12oz Mouse
02:00 Bleach
02:30 Fullmetal Alchemist
03:00 Robot Chicken
03:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
03:30 Metalocalypse
04:00 Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
04:15 A**y McGee
04:30 Squidbillies
04:45 12oz Mouse
05:00 Code Geass
05:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

"Something touched me deep inside.....the day........Adult Swim.......died....."

honeysenpai17
09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
no Inuyasha? :(

Gjallarhorn
09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Hahahahaha.

Adult Swim hasn't played anything decent in years, with the exception the occasional Cowboy Bebop re-runs, Code Geass, Shin-Chan, and The Venture Bros.

They've sold out from being funny and a bit good, mocking viewers and themselves, and just air trashy shows aimed at stoners.

I think they should just eliminate anything related to Tim and Eric, cancel Squidbillies, McGee, Hooper and Stroke, and get Sealab and Spaceghost back on the air. Of course, I think they've finally realized that's what people want, and that's why they have "old school" Fridays.

As for anime, the only things they've aired that I actually liked were Bebop, Trigun, Code Geass, Shin-Chan, and Kikaider.

It'll be a cold day in hell before they ever air Kikaider again, though.

Also, it's about goddamn time they got Inuyasha off the air. It's been in constant circulation for like...4 years now.

Sanosuke23
09-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I like Metalocalypse, Venture Brothers, and that's pretty much it from that lineup. Out of the rest, I'm okay with FMA and Bleach I'm just bored of them by now, I have the same problem with Code Geass I had with all of Gundam(my brain recognizes that I should like this and yet I CANNOT SEEM TO CARE) and to be honest I never really paid attention to Moribito. The rest need to be replaced with SGC2C, Cartoon Planet filler, and Korgoth of Barbaria needs more than one episode.

Translate new anime, someone!

Kawairashii hikari
09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
That's dissapointing... -__-

I still liked watching the one or two episodes of Inuyasha every once in a while, that annd Fullmetal. Plus i wanted to start on Code Geass without looking it up on the computer but i guess i have to now.

Mayonnaise-Senpai
09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
What? That's jacked up natural!

I guess InuYasha and Shin Chan have been booted... That's... really messed up man...

And why the heck are they showing Moribito at the very end?! :mad: I can't believe that and they at showing Bleach waaaaaaaaaay too early! I'm still awake by 11:00!! I liked it better at 12:30.

It's kind of disapointing seeing all the stupid shows have more ratings than the anime shows. The only shows that are non-anime that I like are Family Guy and The Boondocks. My friends like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and I said, "I hate that show. It's pretty stupid like the other shows they show, besides Family Guy and The Boondocks. I mean, who wants to see a soda cup, a carton of fries, a meatball and a fat guy doing stupid stuff? It's ridiculous."

Anime Forum
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Yea, I guess they do show Bleach a little to early. I am usually up pretty late and I used to like to lay down on my bed and watch Bleach. I really don't like to lay down on my bed that early and enjoy Bleach, I liked it when it was on later.

jtdlives
09-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I used to watch adult swim all the time, but now I just watch code geass and bleach. Adult swim is going the same way toonami is going it used to show a lot of anime now it just shows Naruto.

Diocletian
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Reborn! needs to be dubbed and added.Am I the only guy who loved Moribito?

boo radley
09-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Something about Adult Swim rubs me the wrong way. How do people keep tuning in for shows like Aqua Teen and Squidbillies? Almost every show is of the same quality and type of humor. The only shows I even find worthwhile are anime, Family Guy, The Boondocks, and Venture Bro's to an extent. What gives?

Diocletian
09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Something about Adult Swim rubs me the wrong way. How do people keep tuning in for shows like Aqua Teen and Squidbillies? Almost every show is of the same quality and type of humor. The only shows I even find worthwhile are anime, Family Guy, The Boondocks, and Venture Bro's to an extent. What gives?

They never said that they were an anime section on Saturdays.We implied that ourselves.Adult Swims stuff is kinda pointless.I'm immature. but not to like those type of jokes.

Cacodemon
09-12-2008, 07:59 PM
At this point, the viewers are a big part of the problem. Not enough people tune in to watch anime, and Adult Swim doesn't care for much else besides ratings and money. It's that simple, besides the fact that they suck in general.

[adult swim] = CRAP

sa5m
09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
It doesn't matter to me. I go to sleep before any of that stuff comes on anyway.
To me, all the shows like Venture Bros and Squidbillies are really dumb. Shin-chan is stupid.
Inuyasha and Bleach aren't that high up on my list either.

boo radley
09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
They never said that they were an anime section on Saturdays.We implied that ourselves.Adult Swims stuff is kinda pointless.I'm immature. but not to like those type of jokes.

I don't think I mentioned any Saturday anime sections in my post. I was just stating that every other show they make is of the same type of humor and quality.

Diocletian
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
At this point, the viewers are a big part of the problem. Not enough people tune in to watch anime, and Adult Swim doesn't care for much else besides ratings and money. It's that simple, besides the fact that they suck in general.

[adult swim] = CRAP

What money's?They suck to begin with.What we need is a new Anime Network.That would sell.Not two and a half hours.

I don't think I mentioned any Saturday anime sections in my post. I was just stating that every other show they make is of the same type of humor and quality.

It be called assumptions.

+Namiko+
09-12-2008, 08:41 PM
GOD, THATS SO UNFAIR! I CANT WATCH THE UNEDITED VERSION OF CODE GEASS! That's so unfair! I cant stay up till FIVE in the morning! But I love Code Geass so I'll have too. I cant buy it because the only reason I CAN watch it is if it's the edited version! AND MORIBITO, TOO? God! Thats not right! That shows great! I have dial up, Adult Swim is my only source of anime! I'm gonna try to stay awake for Code Geass and Moribito! SCREW BLEACH, I WANT CODE GEASS AND MORIBITO BACK!!!

Diocletian
09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
GOD, THATS SO UNFAIR! I CANT WATCH THE UNEDITED VERSION OF CODE GEASS! That's so unfair! I cant stay up till FIVE in the morning! But I love Code Geass so I'll have too. I cant buy it because the only reason I CAN watch it is if it's the edited version! AND MORIBITO, TOO? God! Thats not right! That shows great! I have dial up, Adult Swim is my only source of anime! I'm gonna try to stay awake for Code Geass and Moribito! SCREW BLEACH, I WANT CODE GEASS AND MORIBITO BACK!!!

Actually I think she's from the UK making this not affect our ratings.I have comcast and checked out the guide.It says the scheduele's the same.If your from America.

+Namiko+
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Actually I think she's from the UK making this not affect our ratings.I have comcast and checked out the guide.It says the scheduele's the same.If your from America.

I live in New Jersey!(unfortunatley) Im not from the UK! I just checked the guide and It's accurate to the scedule posted! I'm serious, this is so wrong!

Evockzi
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I couldn't watch Anime on TV, just seems wrong if It don't start from EP. 1 or if I miss an Ep.

boo radley
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM

How about instead of staying up until 5am you sleep early and wake up at 5am ;).

wolfgirl90
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM

[adult swim] = CRAP

Interesting...I remember explaining this somewhere else once before...oh well:closedeye.

Anyway, what network doesn't care about money? Without money, they can not run their network! So, of course they care! You can't blame them for doing that. If not enough people are watching something, they can not keep wasting money showing it.

What you said is very true, that the main reason way Adult Swim has been scaling back on the anime that they have been showing is because of the poor ratings that it gets. Despite the many people who like the anime that is on Adult Swim, apparently nobody watches it (watching subs on the Internet, are we?;)). It also looks like, despite the obvious decline in ratings and the compliants I have heard from other anime fans about the lack of ratings, that the situation has gotten much WORSE, to the point that they have to push back the less popular anime (mind you, these are new episodes that are being shown) ALL the way back to 5:00 in the morning (according to the scheadule on the Adult Swim website). Apparently, people are complaining but do not watch the channel...which, in the business of networks, does nothing but prove their point, that people do not watch anime on their network.

Actually, to be more general, anime does not get good ratings anywhere. An anime network would be nice but it would not be something that would be happening soon, with the exception of those who have access to the Anime Network and the FUNimation Channel, because of the poor ratings that it gets.

nickdj61789
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Metalocalypse.....not my thing, Assy McGee...corny, Squidbillies....stupid sucks, 12oz Mouse..come on looks like it was made by 2 year olds (I know this is done on purpose but still).
Now for Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
I would kill bout of them if I had the chance. This is the worst piece of crap ive ever seen. I mean really!! So corny, retarded. If I were ever captured and tortured no need for knifes, daggers torture machines, just strap me to a chair and play this non-stop I were Ill talk Ill tell u everything (that is if I dont bite my tongue off first) The horror the horror.

Gizoku
09-13-2008, 02:28 AM
-shrug- Just as long as there's something decent to watch on the lineup I'm happy.
And they'll most likely change it sooner or later.

Memento Mori
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
What? That's jacked up natural!

I guess InuYasha and Shin Chan have been booted... That's... really messed up man...

Inu Yasha being booted isn't messed up.

The dumb show with episodes that are all identical has been running forever, and I'm sick of seeing it.

They need to find something new, and something good.

Soon!

Because the only good anime they ever put on the air was Bebop.

And the shows that are supposed to be funny aren't.

Sorry.

Diocletian
09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
How about instead of staying up until 5am you sleep early and wake up at 5am ;).

I'm gonna give it a small shot.If it doesn't work too bad.

Because the only good anime they ever put on the air was Bebop.

Trigun?Moribito?

Sanosuke23
09-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I'd watch a dubbed Gurren-Lagann if it was on AS.

Gjallarhorn
09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd watch a dubbed Gurren-Lagann if it was on AS.

It's on AniMonday on SciFi, though. I'm really surprised AS didn't try to pick it up. Because of that, I don't think it's going to get the attention it deserves here in the U.S.

Diocletian
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Unlike AS Sci-Fi doesn't dramatically change their stuff.They at least resume and instead of taking it off for six months straight.*I smelled Bleach*

Sanosuke23
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
It's on AniMonday on SciFi, though. I'm really surprised AS didn't try to pick it up. Because of that, I don't think it's going to get the attention it deserves here in the U.S.

I work mondays, this will not do at ALL.

Prox
09-13-2008, 07:52 PM
In my opinion they should go back to playing Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, FMA, and take off Bleach. Adult Swim is pretty fail though... I don't watch tv anymore so it doesn't really matter.

jtdlives
09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
if you have comcast you can watch a lot of that stuff on adult swim on demand if you don't sorry and I actually like the code degrass move to 5:00am because I can watch when I get up for work instead of taping it and watching it at another time

Zombiliciouss
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
11:00 Metalocalypse-Great. I love it. No decline here
11:30 The Venture Brothers Lame. so... uh... a bit of decline
12:00 Shin Chan still no decline (sorry yall, that show is funneh)
12:30 Bleach bit of decline... just because of the filler for now
01:00 Code Geass- Can't comment, haven't seen enough
01:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit-Seen NONE of it
02:00 Metalocalypse see above
02:30 The Venture Brothers see above
03:00 Shin Chan see above
03:30 Bleach see above
04:00 Code Geass see above
04:30 Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit see above
05:00 Inuyasha Love it. (fave anime)
05:30 Inuyasha see above

hm... Adult swim is just as good as it was before (besides the lack of futurama) Though I too remember when Adult swim was pwnage all anime on saturday.

I dunno, this was all IMO

jtdlives
09-13-2008, 08:48 PM
You are so wrong. All the shows suck except for code geass which by the way rocks so you should start watching it. Bleach will start to get better once they get through the filler. I like inuyasha to but it has been in rerun for years and no new episodes are coming. I wouldn't watch anything else they got except for robot chicken once in awhile.

Zombiliciouss
09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
That's all your opinion. Except for the Bleach one; I said it's on a decline for now because of the filler

jtdlives
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
It is not just my opinion. A lot of people feel that way. It's the reason the thread was put up in the first place. We are on a amime site and adult swim is tring to get rid of all its anime enough said.:banghead:

Zombiliciouss
09-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Not necessarily; if they tried to ditch it's anime (which is some of it's highest rated programs) Then they would've done so by now. Sure, there are less anime then before on AS. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they are trying to get rid of all of it's anime. =/

jtdlives
09-13-2008, 09:52 PM
actually their anime is some of their lowest rated shows that is why they are tring to get rid of it.

Zycolette
09-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh, my. I can see that many are disappointed in Adult Swim.
I wasn't quite disappointed but I stopped watching it because I stopped caring about anime on TV altogether. But, yeah, all the following shows
"Tim and Eric"
"McGee"
"Squidbillies"
"The Brak Show"
"12 oz Mouse"
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force"
"Fat Guy Stuck in Internet"
"Frisky Dingo"
"Home Movies"
"Lucy, Daughter of the Devil"
"Moral Orel"
"Minoriteam"
"Perfect Hair Forever"
"Saul of the Mole Men"
"Stroker and Hoop"
"Tom Goes to the Mayor"
"Xavier: Renegade Angel"

Are all pointless in my view. Which is like... more than half of Adult Swim.

On a side note, I've never watched Code Geass or Moribito is it any good?

daft
09-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I guess it's all about the comedy now. =/

Gjallarhorn
09-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I guess it's all about the comedy now. =/

Does it count as comedy, though?

blueangel06661
09-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't like Adult Swim. But theres still full Metal alchemist running.. [Not that I'm going to watch it]

Memento Mori
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Trigun?Moribito?

Can't have an opinion on something I've never watched, right?

I haven't seen Trigun or Moribito, sorry.

When they came on, my family still didn't have cable, and I couldn't go to my grandparents every weekend. =\

Still, the only good anime TO ME I've seen on Adult Swim has been Bebop.

Neon Genesis confused me and made me sick a lot.

Inu Yasha is one of the worst series ever created.

Code Geass.... Meh, don't care for it.

Blood+ was good at first, but got really crappy at the end.

Fullmetal Alchemist tries to hard to be dramatic and deep, but it's not.

And so on, and so forth.

wolfgirl90
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM

According to the ratings, yes. Although I don't find some of those comedy shows on Adult Swim funny, its obvious that those shows are extremely popular and funny to a lot of people.

Jtdlives, Adult Swim is not trying to get rid of anime. If they were, they would have done so a long time ago (the ratings for anime have been low for so long, I am surprised that they haven't already done so). They still want to show it, but they are only going to show the shows that still have new episodes going and are popular: Bleach, Code Geass, Moribito; and ones that get good ratings no matter what: Ghost in the Shell, InuYasha, FMA, Cowboy Bebop (Samurai Champloo would have been in this catagory also but the contract for this anime ran out, so Adult Swim can never show it again).

daft
09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
LOL, what wolfgirl90 said. For many AF members (well at least for me), it was the anime that got me watching Adult Swim.

Diocletian
09-14-2008, 06:37 PM
According to the ratings, yes. Although I don't find some of those comedy shows on Adult Swim funny, its obvious that those shows are extremely popular and funny to a lot of people.

Jtdlives, Adult Swim is not trying to get rid of anime. If they were, they would have done so a long time ago (the ratings for anime have been low for so long, I am surprised that they haven't already done so). They still want to show it, but they are only going to show the shows that still have new episodes going and are popular: Bleach, Code Geass, Moribito; and ones that get good ratings no matter what: Ghost in the Shell, InuYasha, FMA, Cowboy Bebop (Samurai Champloo would have been in this catagory also but the contract for this anime ran out, so Adult Swim can never show it again).

America has alot of teenagers remember that.

I have to admit I like the scheduele.I can watch Moribito and not be half asleep.

wolfgirl90
09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

From what I have seen so far of Gurren Laagan and its popularity, I believe that Adult Swim probably tried really hard to get the rights to the show. The SciFi Channel just did a better job at getting it (better deal, better time slot, etc). Since anime is never syndicated, Adult Swim will have to wait until SciFi Channel's rights to the show expire (whenever that will be) in order to show it on their network.

Ridana
09-19-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm not really a violent person, and I am generally agreeable, and open to other people's opinions...

HOWEVER...

If I ever found myself in a dark alley with Tim and Eric, and a Louisville Slugger was in my hand... well, I think my moral compass would have a hard time finding North.

I just can't find anything of value in their shows or, from what I've seen in some of their public appearances, in them. As best as I can figure, they have every intention of being funny, but rather than actually attempting to be funny, they just believe that they are so innately funny that their mere presence imbues their surroundings with humor. I think this belief in their deep egotism is supported by the very title of their craptastic "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!" which seems to combine an eponymous nomenclature with a double-scoop of self-congratulation, thus elevating it into a titular glad-handing.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I have yet to find ANYONE ANYWHERE that has claimed to like their shows. And at the cons they have appeared at, in my experience, they have been treated like jokes... not the funny kind, the pathetic kind.

Which just leaves me feeling so confused when AS continues to air their shows. There are several parts of the AS line-up that if I don't actively watch I'll leave as background noise while I do something else. But when "Tom Goes..." and "Awesome Show" come on I have to change the channel.

Beyond that horrific duo...
Assy McGee - Irritating and thusly ignored
Squidbillies - Mindless and thusly ignored
12 oz Mouse - Almost as bad as Tim and Eric, and the weak (lazy) art quality irritates me, and thusly ignored
Fat Guy Stuck in Internet - Stupid, at least seems like they tried though... ignored.
Frisky Dingo - I actually like this show, I think Killface is one of the most brilliant villians ever written for anything.
Home Movies - Boring, doesn't make me laugh, but I watch it, usually in bed, helps me go to sleep.
Lucy, Daughter of the Devil - I think I laughed once at this show, generally ignored.
Moral Orel - Amusing in an ironic way, but not laugh out loud, can't say I've missed it's absence.
Minoriteam - Not fond of the artistic style. It's like a less-animated Carlos Mencia sketch, but just as cliche in its racial humor.
Perfect Hair Forever - Not a fan, but I see where some people might find it amusing.
Saul of the Mole Men - Stupid, at least seems like they tried though... ignored.
Stroker and Hoop - Has made me laugh on occasion, interesting enough, I pay attention to this one.
Xavier: Renegade Angel - I tried to understand the humor in this one, failed. Ignored.

I do like ATHF, especially the Mooninites which I think are brilliant (I hope you can see this Boston, I'm doing it as hard as I can!) and Venture Brothers which I think has great villians as well.

-|[Frank]|-
09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
u guys have waaay more anime on ur Cartoon Network! we used to have heaps aswell....not sure why they cut them. They used to show:

Bleach
Naruto
Inuyasha
Trigun
Ghost in the shell SAC
DragonBall Z
DragonBall
Samurai Jack (not sure if its considered anime,but i liked this show:p )
(and a few others,though i cant remember as this was a couple of years ago lol)

every night, Mon - Fri.

Now, the only anime they show are DragonBall Z,Naruto and Bo-Bobo Bobobo:ninja:

Ayako_Star
09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
There are some shows that are dubbed that they should put on the air though. I agree with everyone when it comes to adding new anime, and most of the other shows they have are just plain stupid, like squid billies. I loved FMA and YU YU Hakusho though. Those were the days...:)

The Nightingale
09-24-2008, 07:50 AM
They hardly play any good anime more, and some of the new shows are just stupid. I only watch it now for Bleach.

Gjallarhorn
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
My roommate caught something on an AS commercial today. It seems they are bringing back Cowboy Bebop (11:30) and FLCL (4am). They'll also continue airing Death Note, Shin-Chan, Bleach, and re-run InuYasha (again ;) ).

I do find it curious that they don't have Code Geass or Moribito on the schedule anymore, but at least they will have Bebop on again.

Diocletian
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Wait...so they are putting up pure re-runs?I think it's the fourth time Inuyasha has come around.

xBabyxPandax
09-24-2008, 11:31 PM
why don't they bring in some new anime cause everthing there sucks i mean why not just bring back sailormoon if you have coments pm please

xBabyxPandax
09-24-2008, 11:32 PM
why don't they bring in some new anime cause everthing there sucks i mean why not just bring back sailormoon if you have coments pm me please

Gjallarhorn
09-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Wait...so they are putting up pure re-runs?I think it's the fourth time Inuyasha has come around.

4th? With all the times Inuyasha has been on? It's been in constant running on the air for the better part of the last 5 years, on twice per night for almost a year.

Diocletian
09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
4th? With all the times Inuyasha has been on? It's been in constant running on the air for the better part of the last 5 years, on twice per night for almost a year.

I meant this year, but you're right.
Wouldn't they make more profit by just keeping what they have now?Six episodes of Fooly Cooly won't last long.