PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Spore Website Attacks Game For Stance on Creationism

SGI
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I am aware that there is a Spore thread already, but I would rather not turn that thread in another direction. Honestly, I have yet had the opportunity to play the game as of yet (due to Video Card issues). But anyway.

Anti Spore (http://antispore.com/)

I will be honest, I am undecided as to whether or not this is deadpan satire at its best or whether or not this is dead serious. I hope it's the former, but honestly I am unsure. There are some wackos out there.

Essentially the site is a protest against Spore and its 'attack on Christian values' and consists of several Creature Creator movies of various, obscene Spore grotesques, alongside posts about what the author claims is the game's pro-evolutionary agenda and corrupting influence on children.

It also claims the Episcopalian Church being a 'perverted church' that endorses homosexuality.

So I want to hear your thoughts, is this a joke? Is it serious? Is spore nothing but an attack on Intelligent Design?

Wherethebibawi
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I personally think that intelligent design isn't science.
I think that anyone who attacks science because it shakes the foundations of their belief system is someone who needs a new belief system.
Just because a book written 4000 years ago says that a mythical being made the world, dosen't make it true. People have to stop justifying things based on speculative Ascociation and flawed outdated philosophies. Science Adapts and changes and so should peoples minds.
These so called christians are clearly brainwashed deluded and ignorant to reality.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
What a retard. Spore is intelligent design if anything. Or does the fact the player chooses what parts are shoved on the creature, and mostly for aesthetics and not survivability mean nothing?

Edit: LOL he thinks he dropped EA's stock a dollar.

Haoie
09-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Spore for creationists:

God created life.

Game over.

Sanosuke23
09-10-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm going to go ahead and call him a Poe ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poe). My brain refuses to accept someone is doing this for real.

Howling Star
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I think religion yes it's important for many. I am religious as a catholic. But I do not get or will not understand why spore would be well. Some devilish game against god. I mean as a christian I also will say. The pope is uneeded. No where in the bible theres only one text that would say. You guys need someone to lead you like a pope. It's no where even the vatican wanted to change things in the bible. Which opposes one of the most important rules of the bible do not alter it. So I think it's all just a load of bollocks. Probably just people getting atention or people hating EA. But I don't think of spore as a EA game I think of it as a Maxis game. Which is from EA but then again. If I would hate all stores from the same branch. But I know that branch just has one really nice store with nice people good service. What stops you to just go there ? Well that's what I say.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm going to go ahead and call him a Poe ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poe). My brain refuses to accept someone is doing this for real.
My first thought was that he was a deep cover liberal, but because he thought he dropped EA's stock I'm going to assume he has a diseased mind.

Amray The II
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree, it is pathetic. Spore is actually a very intellectual game. It can make one feel as though they are God themselves. It can show to various audiences what a pain in the knee it is to have a world and race of your own.

Seriously though, when company's go mad over a game for stupid reasons like this it makes me laugh. Okay yes, Manhunt can probably promote killing...but Spore being religiously unfriendly?

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, it does have a lode of religious nutjobs who want to kill you in the name of Spode for being a unbeliever.

But, that's just like in real life.

TheAsterisk!
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
If the game were evolution based, would the "player" not simply click a start button somewhere and be left to watch a simulation he/she had no control over?
If the game were creationist would you not control every creature and the environment at every instant? Wouldn't there be absolutely no rules? Seems God doesn't follow any based on many arguments I've read and heard.
The whole premise is akin to broken ID. Just because a superficial version of "survival of the fittest" is in the game doesn't mean that evolution is taking place (as the loon on that site claims). As far as I know, the creatures do not adapt over several generations.
I think this fool got upset because only God- er, I mean a 'wholly unknown, inscrutable designer who may or may not be a (Christian) deity'- is the only one that gets to control things. This is typical Bible thumper indignation because of a video game dared to contradict an illogical view of existence.

Manhattan_Project_2000
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
If the game were evolution based, would the "player" not simply click a start button somewhere and be left to watch a simulation he/she had no control over?
If the game were creationist would you not control every creature and the environment?
The whole premise is akin to broken ID. Just because a superficial version of "survival of the fittest" is in the game doesn't mean that evolution is taking place (as the loon on that site claims). As far as I know, the creatures do not adapt over several generations.
They are designed over several generations. Key word being designed.

I think this fool got upset because only God- er, I mean a 'wholly unknown, inscrutable designer who may or may not be a (Christian) deity'- is the only one that gets to control things. This is typical Bible thumper indignation because of a video game dared to contradict an illogical view of existence.

Yeah, I don't get that. If ID is supposed to be about a generic creator who may or may not be a deity, why can't that creator be a race of aliens who looks suspiciously like a wang? More over, no origin for your original comet filled with small multi-celled organisms is ever given. It's rather middle of the road, it's not as though it preaches evolution.

Dxon
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I hate these kind of christians who make sites like this and want to prevent people from getting to smart or having to much fun.

Sanosuke23
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Someone tell this dude about EVO: The Search for Eden. Granted it's a SNES game, but the "evolution" process is similar.

Diocletian
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
If me making male parts civilizations makes me God then so be it.

Capernicus
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
lol I kinda want Spore now after seeing this. xD Is it in the Wii?

Btw, the girl in the video is doing something I totally would imagine Pengin-san doing. It kinda sounds like her too! =D

Sanosuke23
09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Cap: PC and a crappy DS monstrosity.