PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to/live in new york?

zathura07
09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I am moving there soon with my girlfriend .. i've visited there a few times and I like it, but people keep telling me it's an expensive place to live and the people are rude there .. so I don't know. Is it really expensive? anyone from af live in ny?

My girlfriend and I make alot together and have enough savings. I just wanted to gather general opinion. ;)

Diocletian
09-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Have friends from NY, and they say it's difficult to park and live.To move properly in a vehicle you have to be driving in the afternoon.The rudeness depends where you are.My friend came from Bronx and said it's terrible, but that's Bronx.It's like LA with bigger buildings.

Buruku
09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Upstate NY isn't that expensive I don't think, I wouldn't move there because of the cold weather though.

Hideki Motosuwa.
09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I've only been to NY once, and that was when my parents and I were in the process of moving to Pittsfield, Massachusetts, where I reside now o.o We stayed in a hotel for a while, but I was suuuu young when we stayed there, I don't remember a thing about it...I was about 4 xD

Evockzi
09-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Upstate NY isn't that expensive I don't think, I wouldn't move there because of the cold weather though.

Aww but Cold weather Rocks ^^ ( <--- Is a Cold Lover)

Only stuff I know for New York which would be off the TV, so Wouldn't trust a word of it ^^

Sailor Mystery
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I go there like 4 times a year to visit family. I've heard its expensive too but depends. Also it depends where you live if you want to know what the people are like. Some people are stuck up or they steal there is different kinds.

Masali
09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Expensive to live in the city. Even more expensive to live outside the city. Like any suburbs ANYWHERE else. Like Yankers new york or what have you. New York city is a fun city, and yes people are rude. But people are rude everywhere, so whatever.

Regardless, you sound like you're gonna get eaten alive there. Too bad I can't be there to see it, I could use the entertainment.

Sanosuke23
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I live in NYC, and we're not terribly rude people. We're just straightforward and don't deal with idle pleasantries. Don't take it personally, but unless one of us is seriously inconvenienced I'm sure we both have better things to do than heap apologies on one another.

It is expensive in general, but the same I'm sure can be said of all major cities.

EDIT: Masali, it's Yonkers. With an O. YONKERS.

lol Yankers.

zathura07
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
much thanks for your help, everyone.

Haoie
09-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Great city.

Visit the MET the first chance you get. You shan't regret it.

UCantTameMe
09-16-2008, 07:33 AM
My cousins live in NJ but we went in NYC when we were there. I loved it! It was amazing (when ur 12 and in a big city for the 1st time everything looks cool) I kept saying to my grandmother "Look a taxi! Look Rockefeller Center! Look NBC!!!!! Look look look!" And I went in my first taxi around where the twin towers used to be. But as for living there idk. im srry! I love NYC tho from what I can remember.

Mysti Queen
09-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I live in NJ about 30 minutes away from NYC. Let me tell you, I really love it. There's always so much to do there. I've also heard that it's quite expensive there to live but if you have a good amount of money, you should be fine.

As for the rudeness, I haven't encountered any of that in any of my visits there(or anything that I can remember). It's really not a bad place. There are rude people everywhere you go so that shouldn't matter.

I would LOVE to live in NYC. But I'm a Jersey girl at heart and I know I wouldn't be happy anywhere else. =]

Sakurablue
09-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I've been to NY but i lived in florida. (hot there)

-akichan-
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
New York is a great place for women who loves to shop(like me). The transportations aren't bad either. However, if you go to Manhatten, you'll have watch out for those rushy business people, if you stop during the middle of your walking, they might get grumpy. People there are always rushing, lots of people. The China Town is huge, lots of Chinese people, and good cheap stuff depending on where you go to. Brooklyn is a great place to shop. The weather in New York is kinda weird, well i only know about summer. It gets hot every day, but often rains and get stormy during the evening.

Tell me where you live, i can visit you sometime =P

Sakurablue
09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
i HATE shopping

Acnologia
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
You moving to the city or just anywhere?

The city is pretty fast paced, and you'll probably see a lot of homeless, or people selling home made trinkets on the corner, but that just makes it cooler :3

Sakurablue
09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Whoa er you talking to?
I'm confused

Mysti Queen
09-16-2008, 12:24 PM
New York is a great place for women who loves to shop(like me). The transportations aren't bad either. However, if you go to Manhatten, you'll have watch out for those rushy business people, if you stop during the middle of your walking, they might get grumpy. People there are always rushing, lots of people. The China Town is huge, lots of Chinese people, and good cheap stuff depending on where you go to. Brooklyn is a great place to shop. The weather in New York is kinda weird, well i only know about summer. It gets hot every day, but often rains and get stormy during the evening.

Tell me where you live, i can visit you sometime =P

I agree with all that. Especially the part about shopping. <33 I LOVE TO SHOP!! ^___^

Dr. Hax
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Sometimes, NYC has its ups and downs. That's why I live in Poughkeepsie, NY in the town of Lagrange. It is very pleasant here and I could use another RL friend.

Sakurablue
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, i agree withn you Sempai

Eris
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I have driven past New York in Sweden. Ironically, there is also a Sweden in New York.

~Mithrosent~
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood!! xD. I live in N.Y. and wouldn't have it any other way. Around the busy cities, (I.e New York city, I just recently moved from there) it's really..okay well extremely busy. The morning traffic jam is crazy. ^^;. It's a little hard to park, and in someparts people can be rude, but any city is like that. I never start yelling at people on the streets, and you dont see if that often. Lot's of shopping. Plenty of places to wander. for the most part I thought it was a nice place to live. It's pretty pricey though. If your talking Morrisville, Syracuse, Auburn (Upstate) It's very beautiful. Lot's of colors in the fall! It can get pretty cold though. It's probably one of the prettiest places in N.Y. to live. If you want to make the commitment, then go for it =)

sa5m
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I really want to live in New York! I'm applying to lots of colleges around that area. It looks really beautiful at Cornell. = 0

Dr. Hax
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Cornell is quite a nice place to go to. One of my cousin's friends goes there. I am going to SUNY Dutchess again for some science courses but I am not sure what to take in that field.

sa5m
09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Cornell is quite a nice place to go to. One of my cousin's friends goes there. I am going to SUNY Dutchess again for some science courses but I am not sure what to take in that field.

Oh! Where is SUNY Dutchess?

Yeah, I'm betting going to NY will be a big change for anyone who has lived his or her life in a quiet, small town. (Namely me. xD) But at least I would be used to the weather; living in NY wouldn't be worse than living in MI, would it? And as any girl, I do love my shopping.. kekeke...

Dr. Hax
09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh! Where is SUNY Dutchess?

Yeah, I'm betting going to NY will be a big change for anyone who has lived his or her life in a quiet, small town. (Namely me. xD) But at least I would be used to the weather; living in NY wouldn't be worse than living in MI, would it? And as any girl, I do love my shopping.. kekeke...

SUNY Dutchess is by Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park, I believe. I live in the town of Lagrange in Poughkeepsie. Lagrange is pretty quiet. I can assure you the following:

-The people in Lagrange are nice as hell mostly
-SUNY Dutchess is a great place but it not the only SUNY college that I know of. The other is SUNY New Paltz but that is kinda crappy.
-Marist is in Hyde Park
-The Culinary Institute is in Hyde Park
-The residents of Hyde Park are both bad drivers and ignorant fools.

Setting that aside, I could use another NY friend.

Sakurablue
09-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Ye, that's what i think
only the NY friend

sa5m
09-21-2008, 01:12 PM
SUNY Dutchess is by Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park, I believe. I live in the town of Lagrange in Poughkeepsie. Lagrange is pretty quiet. I can assure you the following:

-The people in Lagrange are nice as hell mostly
-SUNY Dutchess is a great place but it not the only SUNY college that I know of. The other is SUNY New Paltz but that is kinda crappy.
-Marist is in Hyde Park
-The Culinary Institute is in Hyde Park
-The residents of Hyde Park are both bad drivers and ignorant fools.

Setting that aside, I could use another NY friend.

Oh, hmmm... I have no idea where Poughkeepsie is. xD I've never been to New York in my whole life. = /

Anime Forum
09-21-2008, 01:17 PM
No I have not, but I used to have a friend that moved to New York.

Amray The II
09-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I will consider going there in my next life.
But if Fate leads me there for one reason or other then fair enough.

Beezer
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Sometimes, NYC has its ups and downs. That's why I live in Poughkeepsie, NY in the town of Lagrange. It is very pleasant here and I could use another RL friend.

Whoa nuts another local. I'm over in Wappingers. Theres a satellite campus there for Dutchess community college.

For the original poster:

Poughkeepsie/Wappingers are for those not local is about 90min give or take, north of NYC. Its an hour to the PA border and a lil bit less to the CT border.
I've lived here my whole life and its not that bad. The past 5-10 years its started to get crowded with people moving north from the city.
If your looking for a house thats not in a crappy neighborhood you're looking at $230k+ (last time I was looking) for a decent house. If your renting it could easily be $750 for a 1 bedroom. Sometimes utilities are included, sometimes its just base rent.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

~*Starleaf*~
09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I might be moving there in the summer, for my sister is getting married. She wants a new surrounding.