PDA

View Full Version : Mopeds what do you think of them ?

Howling Star
08-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Hello there I'm thinking of getting a moped. I'm 16 now and my country requires 16 to have one. I don't know a lot of mopeds a lot though. But I think it's safe to say they accerelate faster then scooters right ? Well I wanted to ask you guys. Did you drive or have one ? Was the exam hard ?

And I add a poll. To see what people think of scooters vs mopeds I'm just curious. Since it seems the Moped is not that populair. But I find Scooters girly. Aah well I just wanted this poll for fun.

Diocletian
08-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I much prefer a bike.Skateboards are soooo a trend and mopeds hurt and are little gas wasters!

Evockzi
08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Well from what I know about the test, In Canada you need your Normal Drivers license to drive one, not a Motorbike license ( I have both )

The Written test isn't that bad. I failed my parking lot Test for Motorcycle First time and Yet to get back in to do it again since booking's are about 4 months apart since Canada just... sucks that way...

Personally I wouldn't drive either not enough Power ^^ my R1 keeps me Happy ^^...

But For What your doing Either Work really.

Amray The II
08-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I think that they are annoying and noisy. I would never travel on one of those monstrousities in all my life. That is what I think about them.

sa5m
08-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Mopeds are sweet; just be careful. Though that's probably assumed.

Mmmmmmmmmm
08-30-2008, 06:30 PM
The ones I've seen in Gainesville go around 30-50 mph. Which is really annoying sometimes, especially on the highways that aren't busy, but that little moped is in your way. If I were the driver, I'd be tempted to run them over.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Hello there I'm thinking of getting a moped. I'm 16 now and my country requires 16 to have one. I don't know a lot of mopeds a lot though. But I think it's safe to say they accerelate faster then scooters right ?
Keep in mind that Mopeds top out at about 50cc, and that's where Scooters start. I know of scooters that are 250cc. Of course a larger engine that carries about the same load is going to go faster. 250cc is a decent sized crotch rocket engine.

Well I wanted to ask you guys. Did you drive or have one ? Was the exam hard ? I have a Vespa LX 150 (a scooter). I don't see how my exam would be relevent to you in the Netherlands, but no the Motorcycle class I attended wasn't that hard.

And I add a poll. To see what people think of scooters vs mopeds I'm just curious. Since it seems the Moped is not that populair. But I find Scooters girly. Aah well I just wanted this poll for fun.

Well, you need to look at different scooters then. There's older Vespas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vespa_sport.jpg), of course, but then you have scooters like the Big Ruckus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Big_Ruckus) that look like Mad Max made a scooter to tool around in.

http://www.honda.co.jp/news/2005/image/ps250_2051220.jpg

~Kaiya~
08-30-2008, 08:02 PM
I think they go too slow. when you're driving one next to cars you feel so embarrassed! At least i know i would (has never driven one). They're cheap for gas though! It depends on what you want more, pride or money?

Finvarra
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I hate Mopeds and Scooters.
There so ugly.

DaSOCOM
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Kawasaki Ninja 250 - 60 mpg and will still outrun most vehicles on four wheels. And while it still may not be the coolest thing on four wheels, it gets more respect than a scooter. Also, the Ninja is cheaper than some higher end scooters than have nowhere near the power and fun factor.

Peace,
DaSOCOM

Mmmmmmmmmm
08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I hate Mopeds and Scooters.
There so ugly.
So you hate them based on looks? I think Smart Cars looks ugly, but if I could, I'd drive one around.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Kawasaki Ninja 250 - 60 mpg and will still outrun most vehicles on four wheels. And while it still may not be the coolest thing on four wheels, it gets more respect than a scooter. Also, the Ninja is cheaper than some higher end scooters than have nowhere near the power and fun factor.

Peace,
DaSOCOM
Unfortunately it's a crotch rocket, which means it's entire purpose in life is to kill whoever rides it, and look ugly and cheap while doing it.

Also, please. People love scooters. The only people who don't dig scooters are the people who ride crotch rockets.

Twig Ee
08-30-2008, 10:08 PM
i would rather get a sport motorcycle

but i have nothing against either vehicle

Anybody have any recommendations for good Sport bikes?

Anjiru
08-31-2008, 02:37 AM
I don't have a specific preference for either, so how about neither?

Brewmaster
08-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Well since i am condemned to have to ride either one of them(since I'm 17 and until 18 thats about all i can take) i prefer scooters.Dunno why i just like them more.
But when i hit 18 a big bike is mine. xD
Oh and the test ain't so hard don't worry you'll own it for sure man just prepare yourself well. :]

The Governator
08-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Keep in mind that Mopeds top out at about 50cc, and that's where Scooters start. I know of scooters that are 250cc. Of course a larger engine that carries about the same load is going to go faster. 250cc is a decent sized crotch rocket engine.

I know of scooters that top nearly 500cc, one of them being the Yamaha TMAX /ABS

Source. (http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/scooters/maxi_scooter/tmax500.jsp?view=techspecs)

I ultimately prefer superbikes like the Yamaha R1 or Suzuki GSX-R1000 but I do love twist 'n' go scooters, specially the old Vespa's and Lambretta's and the newr ones I just hate 50cc scooters, they sound like hair dryers and are really annoying.

Howling Star
08-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Hmm so scooters are faster. But I'm sure in speed wise. A moped acerelates faster if you uhm. Fool around with the inside. And scooters are heavier. I think for starters and spechially since I only use it to go to school a moped is good isin't it xD ? There are mopeds that can go fast I think. But I prefer safety over speed. And a scooter is heavier. So if you fall with a moped you might get away better. And you got Zundapp mopeds which look pretty nice. And you have puchs I saw them. And I think they go pretty fast. And well I think all scooters you get in the Netherlands. Are those girly ones. I don't know what to pick xD. My heart says just get a moped. They don't use a lot. And are good for starters. On my bycicle I can get 25 km a hour. But I got arthritis. So I think just some simple cheap moped will do good. And scooters are more expensive then mopeds right ? And gass is pretty expensive here.

Evockzi
08-31-2008, 11:55 AM

Peace,
DaSOCOM

This is true, I skipped the 250 and went straight to a 600 First then my 1000. But Like I said previously for what your doing a 150-250 would be plenty, and if you drive one of these you would at least look cool doing so ^^..;)

Howling Star
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok another question I was thinking of this moped. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Puch_Maxi_.JPG

A Puch Maxi any other people got a better sugestion for mopeds. I don't think I take a scooter.

Cause if I wanted something cool I would take something like this.
http://www.1op25.nl/brommerfoto/zundapp%20albert.jpg

But they are expensive hahaha. Aah well I just want something easy and cheap. For starters. And thanks for all posts till now and thanks for not bashing each other for which one is cooler xd.

Diocletian
08-31-2008, 01:38 PM
THIS IS COOL!
http://individual.utoronto.ca/roninkengo/pictures/akirabike.jpg
If cool is what you want this is it.

Howling Star
08-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Nope I want something simple but still casual looking. Like that puch.