PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need to find a robot anime from over 10 years ago...

fiona.x
08-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello.

When I was a child I used to watch an anime about a robot. However, all I remember about this anime is that it had a giant robot which could be controlled entirely by a seashell. One day a boy with very messy black hair comes across this robot and the shell and blows into the shell to discover that by blowing into it, the robot would move. He then leaves his village sitting on the robot's shoulder and blowing into the shell to move the robot. We meet two new main characters out on his journey, a boy with blonde/yellow hair and a girl with pink hair. The girl has a twin brother who has blue hair. However, her twin brother is evil and tries to corrupt the pink haired girl too. But in the end the black haired boy saves the day and the girl becomes good again.

I remember only this much about this anime but am desperate to find it so I can watch it all again as there were many bits I probably did not understand as a child. Please if someone recognises my description of this anime would they please give me the name of it? I would not recognise the name if told it, but would recognise if I saw a picture of the characters. However, I can look up any names on Google to find an image so please post any possibilities of what this anime could be/be called.

Thanking everyone in advance. x

Deadeye31
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
the only anime that even springs to mind, is gigantor. It was a boy controlling a big robot but not using a seashell.

Diocletian
08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Are you sure it's a seashell?Gigantor COULD be it.Giant Robo sounds somewhat like it minus certain things.

fiona.x
08-28-2008, 05:54 AM
I've googled both and I'm pretty certain it's neither Gigantor nor Giant Robo.

He controlled the robot by blowing into something that I seem to remember as being a shell. When he blew into it you could hear music and the robot would move.

I also seem to remember that this robot is not manmade and simply appears on the outskirts of the village one day. I think later on you find out that it comes from space or something but I'm not entirely sure about this last point.

Maybe it was never that popular an anime because I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it at all. :(

Amray The II
08-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Are you sure that it was a Japanimation, and not an American one?

fiona.x
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Certain. The style of drawing was definitely Japanese and I think the theme tune was in Japanese.

Amray The II
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure. I just wanted to post in here to get my post count higher.

....that was a joke, ofcourse.

Here are some 1990 mecha anime titles. Do any of them sound familiar to you?

Kidou Keisatsu, Blue Gender, Shin Seiki Evangelion, Tenkuu no Escaflowne, and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.

boo radley
08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Do you remember what year it came out and TV station it was on?

fiona.x
08-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Well the problem is, I watched a dubbed version on a chinese channel. This was probably 9 or 10 years ago. But as it was a dubbed version, I have no idea how old it already was when I was watching it. It could have been dubbed very soon after the original was out or dubbed many years after.

The theme tune was left in Japanese so I know it was a dub and not actually chinese.

By the way, this anime was not set in modern times. And also, there is one episode that I remember quite vividly but I'm not sure if this will help.

Near the end of the series, the pink-haired girl gets captured by her twin brother and the black-haired boy tries to rescue her. He enters some place to find them and the twin brother holds the girl with a knife to her throat and tells the black-haired boy to drop his weapon or he'll cut. And the black-haired boy refuses because he doesn't believe that the twin brother will hurt the pink-haired girl because she is his sister, but to show that he will the twin brother cuts and blood trickles down her neck. So the black-haired boy drops his weapon and then something happens which I can't remember and the girl runs away from both boys because her brother has done something to her and she will soon turn evil. She is crying while she runs and runs away because she doesn't want the black-haired boy to see her when she is evil and also because she knows that when she becomes evil she will not be herself anymore and may hurt him.

This bit is the only bit I remember in detail. It must have traumatised me when I was younger.

boo radley
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Make a sketch of the robot and post it here LOL. That might help too.

CapnJack
08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Make a sketch of the robot and post it here LOL. That might help too.
Hm, you know, thats not a bad idea. I dont know why we dont do that more often. I mean it doesnt have to be artistically astounding, just basically a glimps into their thoughts. When it comes to anime, I dont think color should be too hard of an issue to remember. Shape is a different matter, but hey, its at least something to work with.

But other then that, sorry fiona, it doesnt ring any bells. At my age Ive heard and seen a few older animes: Robotech, Mazinger-- just not that one. It might not have been released in the US.

Beezer
08-29-2008, 12:17 AM
The only thing I could find about controlling a robot with a seashell is from an anime/game series called Legend of the Mystical Ninja (originally Ganbare Goemon).
Linky (http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=514)

That's where Goemon and the others step in; by taking a few bites of his lady-friend Omitsu's super-charged ohagi rice balls, then blowing a few notes into his pocketed conch shell, Goemon and co. are able to summon and control the giant mecha Goemon Impact.

Only thing is that this anime seems a little light hearted to have characters holding knives to other characters necks, but who knows. Good luck to ya on finding it.

fiona.x
08-30-2008, 02:37 PM
No sorry it isn't Legend of the Mystical Ninja. You're right about it seeming too light hearted.

I think CapnJack is right about it not being released in the US. I think that might be one of the reasons no one seems to have heard of it.