PDA

View Full Version : Should Computers be Game Console's

Gouki
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Do you think Computers should be considered a Game Console?. I in a way think they should be, Windows, Alienware are pretty much built for games as well as checking e-mail etc. But I know with the PSP, Wii PS3 and so on they have online capability to also check e-mail's run programs and play games making it far more then a game console.

rf switch
08-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Sure why not. You can use a computer as a dedicated gaming "console" if you choose..Back in the day the only thing that really seperated a game console and computers was the lack of an integrated keyboard.

Diocletian
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
No...at E3 you don't see them announcing games for the comp.You can call it a console,but more likey than not it isn't.

BoldMushroom
08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
No...at E3 you don't see them announcing games for the comp....yes, you do. Half-Life 2 was revealed at E3 2003 for the PC only (at the time) and won tons of acclaim... :confused: If I had actually paid attention to E3 this year, I could probably give you a quick list of games revealed just for the PC.

The PC is definitely a legitimate gaming platform... I don't know if I'd call it a "console" in the sense of the Xbox or PS3 or Wii, since PC gaming is really different from consoles. It's always seemed to exist on a different level to me. It feels a lot more decentralized, since each game essentially is just another application. The modifications available that are impossible on consoles make PC games feel much more freeform, whether it's decreasing gravity and friction in the developer console to slide across landscapes in a game, or developing mods that construct entirely new games.

Diocletian
08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
...yes, you do. Half-Life 2 was revealed at E3 2003 for the PC only (at the time) and won tons of acclaim... :confused: If I had actually paid attention to E3 this year, I could probably give you a quick list of games revealed just for the PC.

The PC is definitely a legitimate gaming platform... I don't know if I'd call it a "console" in the sense of the Xbox or PS3 or Wii, since PC gaming is really different from consoles. It's always seemed to exist on a different level to me. It feels a lot more decentralized, since each game essentially is just another application. The modifications available that are impossible on consoles make PC games feel much more freeform, whether it's decreasing gravity and friction in the developer console to slide across landscapes in a game, or developing mods that construct entirely new games.

I should edit somethings,but when they announced the Wii,PS3,and XBOX 360 they never put a new computer.And that's because they are always changing.You can't find one stationary computer.This years E3 failed.'03-'07 we love you.

Gouki
08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Well you can simply download game like Nintendo games for ex. and plug in a USB controller and play it like that its kinda why I feel its more of a console

BoldMushroom
08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I should edit somethings,but when they announced the Wii,PS3,and XBOX 360 they never put a new computer.And that's because they are always changing.You can't find one stationary computer.Well, yeah, that's exactly the point. There isn't one centralized, definitive "PC gaming" standard, or company that can be said to represent PC games in the way that Sony represents the PlayStation (or vice versa). I could build a PC right now and play games on it - it can be my machine, tailored to my specifications. A company like Alienware is just one more company that specializes in building high-end PCs, just like Falcon Northwest or VoodooPC. They're not the figurehead for PC gaming, either.

That doesn't mean that PC gaming is somehow illegitimate as a platform. There are still games that are only available to play on the PC. It's just a different experience, like the Wii is a different experience from the 360.

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 07:28 PM
My comp is a Gamer Style comp with High quality hardware etc. But I would never call it a Game console. Takes alot more of a Geek to work with a Computer then a 360.

HolyOrder-Sol
08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
In a way yes they should be becuz most good games that come out for systems like PS3, Wii & Xbox 360 which are expensive and then good games like Devil May Cry 4 and others. So yea it is good to dat computers are can play games I'm gonna get Devil May Cry 4 for pc XD

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
In a way yes they should be becuz most good games that come out for systems like PS3, Wii & Xbox 360 which are expensive and then good games like Devil May Cry 4 and others. So yea it is good to dat computers are can play games I'm gonna get Devil May Cry 4 for pc XD
Protip: Reread your post before you send it. Your bad grammar and punctuation make what you wrote semi-impossible to read.

Dark Wolf 09
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I do believe that computers should be a only PC 'Personal' Computer, not a gaming console, if Half-Life 2 was strictly only for PC, it would have been a console, but the components were transfered to the extracted PC, and converted it towards the Next 'Gen' (Generation, for some people who doesn't know what it means.)

That doesn't mean that PC gaming is somehow illegitimate as a platform. There are still games that are only available to play on the PC.

Although you do have a point, there are many, many, ways to specify your needs if you were about to build a component from RAM towards the Interface, but that will take years, let the pros handle that ;D Hahaha. They use computers to make games for Next gen, but it doesn't mean it can carry the capacity as the Next Gen games such as BioShock, but there is Vista, and you have to buy components just to play the damned game, I'd rather just play it on the 360.

The only good games for PC considering graphic Bit mapping is the wonderful RPG's such as WoW, and the great-full Command and Conquer, the RTS's. That can hold the capacity for the original computers, instead of Vista, and go for Windows.

Protip: Reread your post before you send it. Your bad grammar and punctuation make what you wrote semi-impossible to read.

Nice catch, bud.

they never put a new computer.

Source please, they always put in new interfaces at E3. Do you know what E3 stands for? Electronic Expo, I believe they do have kiosks for new interfaces.

Storm Strife
08-30-2008, 08:55 AM
No.

A console is made strictly for gaming in mind. They may add certain things on to it, like internet browsing, but in the end, the gaming aspect of a console is what sells it.

A PC, on the other hand...well, its use varies due to the degree of customisation you have. Some rigs are made for gaming, others for media editing, and a large number are built for general day to day tasks. While you can play games on them, they can also be used for lots of other things, much more than a console can do.

I'd consider a PC to be a system with almost limitless degrees of customisation; I can choose what mothrboard I want, how much RAM, what software, what OS, etc. With that comes with the freedom to do what you want with your PC.

Consoles, on the other hand, have little to no customisation. You're not free to change the motherboard, you can't place a new processor in it, the companies and manufacturers dictate what you can and cannot do with your system, you have no freedom to do what you want.

The second they remove all the freedom and the customisation of a PC, and focus them towards gaming, then I'll consider it a console.

Amray The II
08-30-2008, 03:04 PM
No, I do not.

Although I would agree with you if you stated it the other way around. In this generation game consoles are becoming more like PC's as opposed to PC's becoming similar to games consoles.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-30-2008, 08:05 PM
No.

A console is made strictly for gaming in mind. They may add certain things on to it, like internet browsing, but in the end, the gaming aspect of a console is what sells it.

A PC, on the other hand...well, its use varies due to the degree of customisation you have. Some rigs are made for gaming, others for media editing, and a large number are built for general day to day tasks. While you can play games on them, they can also be used for lots of other things, much more than a console can do.

I'd consider a PC to be a system with almost limitless degrees of customisation; I can choose what mothrboard I want, how much RAM, what software, what OS, etc. With that comes with the freedom to do what you want with your PC.

Consoles, on the other hand, have little to no customisation. You're not free to change the motherboard, you can't place a new processor in it, the companies and manufacturers dictate what you can and cannot do with your system, you have no freedom to do what you want.

The second they remove all the freedom and the customisation of a PC, and focus them towards gaming, then I'll consider it a console.
Heh. You just described the X-Box to a T.

gd0929918
08-31-2008, 03:15 AM
definition of a Game Console: a specific device for playing videogames.
definition of a computer (PC): a computer whose original sales price, size, and capabilities make it useful for individuals.

now... if the computer is going to be used solely for videogames (no msn, no forums, no emails, no MS Word, or anything like that), then yes, a computer can be considered a console.
however, if the owner uses the computer for anything other than videogames (like doing the aforementioned), then it no longer becomes a console, but a personal computer (def: a machine that manipulates data according to a list of user instructions).

so it's all dependent on what the computer is built for.

something you get at Best Buy for example... no, it's not a console.
something that you put a quad-sli 9800gt/3.25ghz quad-core/12gb RAM/PCI-HDMI cable into the monitor, then yes, it's a console. a $1500 one, but hey, some people are sticklers to high quality gfx.

it's like asking people with a PS3 if that's their game console, or blu-ray player.
cuz i know somebody who bought a PS3 simply because it was the cheapest blu-ray player on the market. doesnt own a single game for it.

Eris
09-06-2008, 04:30 AM
You're getting it sdrawkcab. Consoles are computers. Therefore, if computers can not be consoles, consoles can not be consoles.

Taikyo
09-06-2008, 04:40 AM
NEVER!!!! D8

I'm a person who like to use their computer for other things, besides gaming. I mean, what about us digital artists? If the computer turned into a gaming console...then we can't draw anymore on the comp...there wouldn't be any digital art in the world anymore. (that means all the graphics for games would be for not)

Plus I'll have to say good bye to watching my anime, surfing the net, etc. T3T;

That...my friend...is my worst nightmare ever! D8

Kloud_Seven
09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I consider my computer to be like a secondary console, that just so happens to be able to do a lot of different things. Just like how I consider my ps3/360 as a secondary computer.

[BlackDeath]
09-07-2008, 07:09 AM
No, a computer wasn't made and intended to be a gaming machine in the first place, gaming is one of the many secondary features of it.

Having said that my machine is custom made for gaming =/

Asus P5N-T Deluxe (780i)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
Zalman CNPS 9700 NT Heatsink
Western Digital Velociraptor HD
Corsair Dominator DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX (2 cards in SLI)
Antec TruePowerQuatro 1000W PSU
Antec P182 Case

Considering buying a 3rd Graphics card to SLI also
=)

something you get at Best Buy for example... no, it's not a console.
something that you put a quad-sli 9800gt/3.25ghz quad-core/12gb RAM/PCI-HDMI cable into the monitor, then yes, it's a console. a $1500 one, but hey, some people are sticklers to high quality gfx.What MoBo is that? I only can manage 3 way SLI on mine on a 780i. Overall my PC cost around £1000 which is near $1700-$2000

gd0929918
09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
;2122038']

Asus P5N-T Deluxe (780i)

Considering buying a 3rd Graphics card to SLI also
=)

What MoBo is that? I only can manage 3 way SLI on mine on a 780i. Overall my PC cost around £1000 which is near $1700-$2000

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-Introduces-Intel-Quad-SLI-Motherboard-36100.shtml - kinda old news though

you also said that you got a 780i mobo, right?
apparently the 790i supports quad-sli (damn, eh? lol)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3714951&ref=lmcd (idk if that'll help you too much, but i'm sure you can find somewhere that's not an american site)

also, are you running vista or XP? im going to assume XP, because gaming in Vista is like trying to run a marathon in water.
cuz quad-sli in XP will have no noticeable differences over tri-sli, and tri-sli will have hardly any noticeable differences over dual-sli (unless you're doing it for a 3 panel monitor set-up or something). the one thing it might do is increase the framerate a tiny bit (like, maybe an extra 8-13 fps).

[BlackDeath]
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I am using XP for the very reason you mentioned. With 2 way SLI there is about a 75-80% boost in graphics, a 3rd is less than 25% and 4th even less. I was thinking if it was worth upgrading to a 790i but didn't think I should, all I knew it had was DDR3 and DDR3 isn't very widespread yet didn't know the QUAD-SLI. Just sometimes I have extra cash I want to spend on something but never know what so I decide to upgrade my PC.

Was considering doing a 3 monitor set up but would've thought 2 GFX cards would be enough to manage gaming and whatever else I choose to run.

Aizmov
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd rather buy a purpose built computer for doing what it was meant to do. A cell phone for making calls, a game console for playing games, an onboard computer for my car, a router, a calculator, etc..

And by the way, consoles tend to have the better games, I personally hate PC games, or rephrased, none of my favorite games are on the PC.

gd0929918
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
;2122396']I am using XP for the very reason you mentioned. With 2 way SLI there is about a 75-80% boost in graphics, a 3rd is less than 25% and 4th even less. I was thinking if it was worth upgrading to a 790i but didn't think I should, all I knew it had was DDR3 and DDR3 isn't very widespread yet didn't know the QUAD-SLI. Just sometimes I have extra cash I want to spend on something but never know what so I decide to upgrade my PC.

Was considering doing a 3 monitor set up but would've thought 2 GFX cards would be enough to manage gaming and whatever else I choose to run.
it's pretty much a waste of money to buy DDR3 unless you're planning on OC'ing the hell out of it (and if you do, look into a RAM HS/F, or does your case have a LOT of airflow? it doesnt look like it from the pictures because the fronts all covered up as opposed the Antec 900 case {5 fans + PSU fan + HS/F, i loves it}) since it's got barely any noticeable difference beside extremely high clock speeds over DD2, and it tends to cost a lot more.
Personally, i'd stick with DDR2, dual-SLI, and 64-bit XP Pro until WIndows 7 comes out and see how that handles games.... unless Vista SP2 drastically improves a lot of stuff in the OS enough to handle games better without needing 15gbs RAM to get the same FPS as 2gbs gets in XP.

also, i cant remember... can DD3 support dual channel?

[BlackDeath]
09-08-2008, 06:35 AM
it's pretty much a waste of money to buy DDR3 unless you're planning on OC'ing the hell out of it (and if you do, look into a RAM HS/F, or does your case have a LOT of airflow? it doesnt look like it from the pictures because the fronts all covered up as opposed the Antec 900 case {5 fans + PSU fan + HS/F, i loves it}) since it's got barely any noticeable difference beside extremely high clock speeds over DD2, and it tends to cost a lot more.
Personally, i'd stick with DDR2, dual-SLI, and 64-bit XP Pro until WIndows 7 comes out and see how that handles games.... unless Vista SP2 drastically improves a lot of stuff in the OS enough to handle games better without needing 15gbs RAM to get the same FPS as 2gbs gets in XP.

also, i cant remember... can DD3 support dual channel?
My case comes with 3 120mm fans and 2 optional 120mm's. It has got enough cooling along with noise dampening for a quiet computer which I why I chose it instead of the Antec 900. Personally I don't like to OC I prefer to keep the hardware at it's default - my belief is that it lowers the life expectancy/durability of the hardware (not sure if that is fact as I haven't looked in OC in much detail.)

Most of the new higher memory clocked DDR3 does support Dual Channel.

Gizoku
09-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Yes and no. If its a gaming computer like Alienware or the components inside of the comp. is modded for gaming then I would consider it a gaming computer. Otherwise its just a regular computer.

Dxon
09-14-2008, 03:50 AM
A PC runs PC games. A console runs console games.

In the future you'll be playing games on your pc with a console controller.
At least. That's what I think will happen.

BoldMushroom
09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
In the future you'll be playing games on your pc with a console controller.
At least. That's what I think will happen.This can already be done. You can plug an Xbox 360 controller into a PC's USB port and use it as a controller for some games.

I don't think this will become the dominant way of playing PC games, though. For first-person shooters, real-time strategy games, MMORPGs, and isometric RPGs - probably the most popular types of PC games - a lot of people prefer using a mouse and keyboard to play.

Kitezer
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Actually all video games are made with a computer in the first place are they not? and PS3 can do so much stuff already it's like that is already a computer. As for being able to play video game systems on the computer and such I am sure everyone already knows how to do that. I mean I already know. But a computer should be not considered a video game system because it was originally made to be able to do anything on it not just play games.

Jimbow
09-14-2008, 11:02 AM
I play most of my games on my laptop (mainly Devil May Cry 4 now) so yes I'd like to call it a console idd...

gd0929918
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Actually all video games are made with a computer in the first place are they not?
that's true, but some games are just made to be on a console and would never work on a PC (well... they would, but controlling it would be horrible using a keyboard and mouse setup).
for example: Soul Calibur 4 (or any of the Soul Cal games for that matter). you'll never get the same fluid movements on a keyboard that you would with an analog thumb-stick. thus, stringing together combos and such would be a nightmare, unless you have a 360 controller hooked up to your pc.
another example: Beautiful Katamari. the thumbsticks control how fast you move and which direction you go. you can't control something that precisely with an on/off toggle like a keyboard button.

Zenni-Kun
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
it all depends on what type of PC you are using................like if you work in an office building, all you use the PC there for is doing menial office tasks.........however if youre a gamer with a state of the art gaming system, and all you have on that is an Operating System and games, then it could be considered a gaming console............
Office PC: not a gaming console
Hand built Gaming PC: Game Console