PDA

View Full Version : What came first The chicken or The egg ??

Mousie
08-26-2008, 05:20 AM
Im sure veryone has asked themselves This question at some point or another

Well i say the Chicken came first

Amray The II
08-26-2008, 06:24 AM
I have a tougher one for you.

What came first? God or man?

rikumi
08-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Im sure veryone has asked themselves This question at some point or another

Well i say the Chicken came first
I say neither. I'd say the chicken went into the egg that came first =^w^=b

Some believe it is God, but I think men came first =w=~o
The reason? God is something human utterly "created" using belief. So in came man, and then God.

Drifter Uk
08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
im gonna go with the egg
dinosaurs had eggs
theyre older than chickens
therefore the egg came first

Happi Giraffe!
08-26-2008, 08:08 AM
im gonna go with the egg
dinosaurs had eggs
theyre older than chickens
therefore the egg came first

yeah. it never tells what kind of egg it was...

SSDynamite
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
The egg. That's what the chicken came out of.
It's parents were two birds slightly different from what we call chickens.

That's the explanation I'm happy with anyway.

dream magician
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I'll go with the egg, with the same reason that chickens were eggs before they ever learn to walk...

Mousie
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM

well that might constitute a religeous argument so id rather not go there :S

OminousCloud
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
You know, you made this exact same thread on the same day in 2005...

I'm pretty sure there was also another thread where I answered this question or maybe it was just a discussion I had with Bean Bandit...

The egg came first, following the theory of evolution you have two chicken like parents who have offspring which have a different gene/genes that make them the first chickens.

Mousie
08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
no ways ... in 2005 on the same day ?

sataned
08-26-2008, 09:46 AM
i say a Highly Advanced Brilliant Species that had Knowledge of Genetic Engineering came first... then 2 eggs 1 male 1 female.... and after much Trial and Error... THEy finally got it right! the exact little feathered creature that tastes like everything that doesnt taste like anything...

Brewmaster
08-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I put my money on the chicken.It gave the egg.How did the chicken came?Well some unnatural force threw it from another dimension trough a black hole and the chicken fell onto Earth thus resulting in massive egg laying process.

Dxon
08-26-2008, 11:11 AM
The question is: what came first: Egg laying fish or the egg which came out an egg laying fish. The fish became the chicken. So it gradually happened. Which means the egg was first. But was first. Egg laying fish. Or the eggs of the fish?

Amray The II
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
This question is a lot like asking "What came first? The mother or the child?" Obviously the mother did. If we look at the story of Adam and Eve it was about God creating man and woman out of nothing, without their being something to give birth to them other than God himself. Therefore I believe that the chikcen came first. God made the chicken, the chicken made the egg. That is my non-scientific answer.

well that might constitute a religeous argument so id rather not go there :S

Alas, that it why it is such a hard question to answer to.

drm0ney
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
The egg came first, following the theory of evolution you have two chicken like parents who have offspring which have a different gene/genes that make them the first chickens.
My thoughts exactly.

You can't change what it is, if it isn't a chicken, it's never gonna be one, but it's offspring can have different enough traits that make it what we call a chicken.

Sanosuke23
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM

SSD gets the credit for having the right answer first, sorry Mini.

It looks like the Silver Snakes are going to the Temple!

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Egg, since I believe in evolution, so at one point or another something from a birds Egg resembled a chicken.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 03:42 PM
You know, I always sort of feel bad for these questions that become repeated over and over again until they have lost all meaning.

This question was originally put forth by philosophers who wondered about the origin of life before evolution was known about. From that context, the question makes some sense. Were Chickens created (or came into being) as eggs, or full grown chickens? Makes some sense.

Of course, now after Evolution has been both discovered and proved true, we can put this question to rest- the jungle fowl that were domesticated into chickens laid eggs. Ergo, no matter at what point you define the animal to be chicken and not jungle fowl, you are left with an egg that hatches into a chicken.

Now can we all, as a people, move on the the question about the Tree falling in an empty forest? It at least still has some meaning, not that anyone tries to grasp it.

Amray The II
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Now can we all, as a people, move on the the question about the Tree falling in an empty forest? It at least still has some meaning, not that anyone tries to grasp it.

The sound is made. Just because their is no person in the specified location to hear the tree falling does not at all mean the sound did not still exist. The tree has fell, so the sound was made. No one did hear it so in a way it was not a sound at all, but the noise that it makes still did exist at that moment when it clashed with the ground.

smile1010
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
It's like asking, "what came frist, the adult or the baby/fetus?" I would think a chicken came first. God made a male and a female and later they reproduced. So I'd think he'd do the same with animals.

<p>
<font color="MediumTurquoise">Egg, since I believe in evolution, so at one point or another something from a birds Egg resembled a chicken.</font></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
I'm not saying it's a wrong answer, but, how would the egg have received warmth and once hatch, where would it have found nutrition and the sort?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
The sound is made. Just because their is no person in the specified location to hear the tree falling does not at all mean the sound did not still exist. The tree has fell, so the sound was made. No one did hear it so in a way it was not a sound at all, but the noise that it makes still did exist at that moment when it clashed with the ground.
See, that's what I'm talking about. Very few people understand the philosophical nature of that question, and assume that it is question of causality, like the Chicken and the Egg.

To rephrase the question: If an event happens, and no one observes it, can it be considered an event? Your answer then would depend on whether or not you think an objective reality exists, and what value you'd give an event that effects no one even assuming an objective reality. I would say that the sound a tree that falls in an empty forest makes is irrelevant, and might as well not exist. It is only through observation that an event has meaning.

I'm not saying it's a wrong answer, but, how would the egg have received warmth and once hatch, where would it have found nutrition and the sort?

Protip: The jungle fowl that were domesticated into chickens would have taken care of their young, because the change was gradual. That's what evolution is. Gradual.

Also, Chickens were the result of selective breeding, so even if the Jungle fowl for some reason refused to take care of their young that resembled them in almost every way, there would still be humans around to do it.

Diocletian
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
The egg fell from the sky and ta-dah,there it is.
THERE HAD TO BE AN EMBRYO!
How come no one has mentioned evolution.Maybe eggs are the stationairy creature,but with evolution they turned into chicks.

Perpetual Specter
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM

^---This pretty much explains it all right here. It has to do with evolution of animals and in this case, two birds, both of which probably looked somewhat like a chicken, made an egg and out of the egg came a chicken pretty much.

Mayonnaise-Senpai
08-26-2008, 06:03 PM
How are you going to get the egg if you don't have the chicken?
Ahhh! X) got you on that one.

I think the chicken came before the egg.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
How are you going to get the egg if you don't have the chicken?
Ahhh! X) got you on that one.

I think the chicken came before the egg.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/1075646f88a6039c6f.jpg

Birds lay eggs. It's not an intrinsic property of Chickens.

Fiery
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
The chicken came before the egg, because C comes before E in the dictionary.

Seriously people.

Strawberry Kisses
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm I'm thinking the chicken.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
On the plus side, I've marked the people who have said Chicken down for emergency sterilizations by a crack team of Ninja/Doctors, so this thread is kind of a wash.

Diocletian
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Seriously people.

I before E except after C.Whether that means there is an I involved is to be found.

Dark Wolf 09
08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
What came first, the Universe and God? Or God and the Universe? Hmmmm??

~Kaiya~
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Im going out on a limb here and saying the rooster came first XD

Sanosuke23
08-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I before E except after C.Whether that means there is an I involved is to be found.

Insemination.

Cotaku
08-26-2008, 09:07 PM

I LOL at you. xD

My theory is some really huge prehistoric bird did a T-rex and we got the chicken. That's how the T-rex is related to the chicken. So...the egg, I guess? o.o;;

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I LOL at you. xD

My theory is some really huge prehistoric bird did a T-rex and we got the chicken. That's how the T-rex is related to the chicken. So...the egg, I guess? o.o;;
How about no?

Doctor One
08-26-2008, 11:50 PM

That's basically what I would say.

Haoie
08-27-2008, 03:07 AM
You should if the chicken or the chicken egg came first.

Aizmov
08-27-2008, 03:32 AM
I think they both came at the same time.

unicornz
08-27-2008, 03:56 AM
Im going for the egg.
Two different animals probaly breeded and got a chicken egg.

OminousCloud
08-27-2008, 04:02 AM
You know, I always sort of feel bad for these questions that become repeated over and over again until they have lost all meaning.

This question was originally put forth by philosophers who wondered about the origin of life before evolution was known about. From that context, the question makes some sense. Were Chickens created (or came into being) as eggs, or full grown chickens? Makes some sense.

Of course, now after Evolution has been both discovered and proved true, we can put this question to rest- the jungle fowl that were domesticated into chickens laid eggs. Ergo, no matter at what point you define the animal to be chicken and not jungle fowl, you are left with an egg that hatches into a chicken.

I'm more inclined to say yes the tree makes a sound. Solely because sound waves can travel in the forest since it's not a vacuum.

Shadow of Life
08-27-2008, 05:33 AM
no chicken no egg sow i think chicken came first

God created chicken ^^

Aizmov
08-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Im going for the egg.
Two different animals probaly breeded and got a chicken egg.

I don't see how that would work. But if it possible, why hasn't anyone breeded horses with rhinos? :unsure:

Mousie
08-27-2008, 08:13 AM

Seriously people.
I just HAVE to laugh at that

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
What kind of reason is that

kleyrxD
08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Chicken came first..like how Eve & Adan came.

honeysenpai17
08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Chicken-Chicken has to lay egg, in order to get the egg

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm more inclined to say yes the tree makes a sound. Solely because sound waves can travel in the forest since it's not a vacuum.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Very few people understand the philosophical nature of that question, and assume that it is question of causality, like the Chicken and the Egg.

To rephrase the question: If an event happens, and no one observes it, can it be considered an event? Your answer then would depend on whether or not you think an objective reality exists, and what value you'd give an event that effects no one even assuming an objective reality. I would say that the sound a tree that falls in an empty forest makes is irrelevant, and might as well not exist. It is only through observation that an event has meaning.
^ That.

unicornz
08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't see how that would work. But if it possible, why hasn't anyone breeded horses with rhinos? :unsure:

no idea but horses and rhinos are the same species (according to my book) but they should ^-^ then there would be unicorns

Mmmmmmmmmm
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
You know, you made this exact same thread on the same day in 2005...

I'm pretty sure there was also another thread where I answered this question or maybe it was just a discussion I had with Bean Bandit...

Oh man. we think alike. About this anyway. and seriously. I don't think there is anyway for the chicken to come first. Unless the first chicken was some mutated creature formed by radioactive waste. And think about it: How can the chicken come before the egg? there'd have to be two chickens.

Xieshunnuan
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd go for the egg would come first. Without the egg, there won't be a chicken.

OminousCloud
08-28-2008, 12:22 AM
To MP2K, I see it as a 'facts do not cease to exist simply because we ignore them' type of thing. Observation gives proof of an event or effect but it doesn't really change anything to do with the event or effect. To me it just shows that everything has limitations.

If instead of no one being in the forest, you sub a completely deaf person, you still get the same thing. The deaf person can't observe sound but whether or not the tree has produced any, remains unchanged.

But then, I frequently interpret these philosophical questions differently from others.

no idea but horses and rhinos are the same species (according to my book) but they should ^-^ then there would be unicorns

Horses and rhinos are in the same Order; Perissodactyla, they're not the same species. Just like humans are in the Order: Primate, it doesn't make us the same species as say, an orangutan.

Mavericker
08-28-2008, 12:54 AM
The chicken - God made it first- end of thread.

rikumi
08-28-2008, 01:00 AM
To put it in a simple theory, it is just something like - "chicken in the egg?" or "egg from the chicken?" I didn't have any impression of eggs from the prehistoric O_O Dinosaurs came from - what? Why does chicken exist? O_O; Does it form itself up from a cloud of gas particles...or rather - nebula-like substances,after the dinosaurs extincted? Or is it that God created it? =_=" We have to answer these questions first, before answering the egg theory....O_O;

Faceless111
08-28-2008, 04:26 AM

To rephrase the question: If an event happens, and no one observes it, can it be considered an event? Your answer then would depend on whether or not you think an objective reality exists, and what value you'd give an event that effects no one even assuming an objective reality. I would say that the sound a tree that falls in an empty forest makes is irrelevant, and might as well not exist. It is only through observation that an event has meaning.I disagree. The event can still be relevant, even if there are no witnesses to it. The best example would be the creation of the universe, however you choose to believe it happened. No one was there to observe it, but it is a very vital event. But even on the smaller scale of the tree in the forest, it may still hold relevance. Perhaps the fallen tree is happened upon by someone who needs a tree for whatever reason. He wasn't there to witness the tree fall over but he now has the wood he needs.

I'm more inclined to say yes the tree makes a sound. Solely because sound waves can travel in the forest since it's not a vacuum.It only makes a sound if there are living beings to interpret that sound. Pretend that no living being is there to interpret that noise, then it can be said that there wasn't any crack, snap, or pop to speak of.

Mousie
08-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Its funny how such a simple Question can turn out to be such a deep controvercial discussion :P

Amray The II
08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
This is just a message for all the idiots saying "The chicken 'egg' came before the chicken". If the "chicken egg" came first of all then it would not be a "chickens" egg. Because a chicken obviously did not lay it, simply because you are stating that the "egg came first". Therefore, if the egg did come first then how would be a "chickens egg"?

Then I'm your man. Saying that something did not make a sound even though it still happened would also be like stating that whenever you closed your eyes or turned away from something then the things in front of you are not actually there, just because you cannot see them. It would also be like saying that the forest in which the tree fell in is not there because one cannot see it. Alas, if it is an empty forest then their is obviosuly no body around. Therefore, that would mean that the forest does not exist either. But that is wrong as it does exist and it is there.

SSDynamite
08-28-2008, 10:56 AM
This reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Lisa asks Bart "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
XD

Gjallarhorn
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
The velociraptor.

What came first, the velociraptor or the egg?

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
@MiniTwilight, Kajiwara:People can observe the forest afterward, but the sound of a falling tree is ephemeral. Our brains are hardwired to figure that a fallen tree would have made a sound, because it's a useful adaptation. However, we can never confirm that an unobserved tree would make a sound. Moreover, the sound of a unobserved tree falling is a useless concept. No one really cares about the sounds of all the unobserved trees- they are apart of no one's subjective reality because they (obviously) weren't observed. Ergo, the sound of an unobserved tree falling can not be apart of conscientious reality, and unless you can prove that an objective reality exists (and you can't) it's a silly concept all around.

But I would agree that a unobserved forest is a forest that doesn't exist. Or at least exists only as a concept.

Diocletian
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
This is just a message for all the idiots saying "The chicken 'egg' came before the chicken". If the "chicken egg" came first of all then it would not be a "chickens" egg. Because a chicken obviously did not lay it, simply because you are stating that the "egg came first". Therefore, if the egg did come first then how would be a "chickens egg"?

It's called evolution.There's theories about Chickens coming from Dinosaurs so there was no chicken to begin with, but a dinosaur.

Faceless111
08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
But I would agree that a unobserved forest is a forest that doesn't exist. Or at least exists only as a concept.I disagree. I, for example, have never observed Antarctica but I know that it exists.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I disagree. I, for example, have never observed Antarctica but I know that it exists.
Others have observed it, so it's a part of conscientious reality. However, it is just a concept to your subjective reality.

~*Red*~
08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Since the egg came out of the hen, the egg has to come first.

Amray The II
08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
It's called evolution.There's theories about Chickens coming from Dinosaurs so there was no chicken to begin with, but a dinosaur.

I was not discussing evolution though, and nor does the question. This was just one of those questions that some bored individual made long ago to try and confuse people. It is not really supposed to go into any detailed answers, especially regarding evolution and such. Yes, one can go into the details about it, but then it would just go into a big science lesson/debate and would end up making everybody track down the dinosaur family tree to see what member the chicken originated from.