PDA

View Full Version : Want to Double Check

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Just a Quick question, I just wanted to make sure the katakana I am using for my name is correct.

エヴォクジ

Wasn't sure what "vo" was but when I type it in ヴォ comes up so I just went with it.

Didn't really want to make a thread for it, but I don't want to feel like a idiot knowing I have been misspelling my name ^^

Datenshi
08-26-2008, 03:43 AM
There's really no correct way to write out foreign names in Japanese. Even the names of historical figures differ from textbook to textbook.

That said, I would say your take is more or less correct. The 「ヴ」 letter is kind of special, because it was introduced into the Japanese language relatively recently, since technically there is no "v" sound in pre-modern Japanese.

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Ty for Input, Just wanted to make sure ^^

Sparkie
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
In English, we can't tell exactly how your name is pronounced anyway. Is it evo as in evolve or as in revolution? Just be careful not to always implicitly convert vowel sounds like e=エ as you see in a katakana chart, because sometimes they sound quite wrong.

cppunit
08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Posttonic(?) 'ck' is generally captured as [ック].
アタック クラック スタック トラック etc.

so, if there'a accent on O(evockzi), [イヴォックジ] or [エヴォックジ] are more correct, I suppose.
but I don't sure, unless I hear the actual pronunciation.