PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Feel?

Robin Sena
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
How would you feel, all joking aside, that your best friend revealed to you that he or she was autistic. I should know 'cos since I was born, i was autistic myself. Worst of all, some of my family members, the teachers and students, all trated me bloody badly, hurling me to the wall and/or floor, tied me to a chair, cursed at me and yelled at me, even tied me and forced me to eat bad food, even had one of the students spanke me; in fact, even some of the teachers spanked me in my early school years, blackmailing me, it was just a bloody nightmare for me, all because they had no mercy nor patience for an autistic like me.:(

Saint Seiya
08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
If i didnt notice it i wouldnt really care cause that means he/she acts normal. I guess id be surprised but thats it.
Now back to you.. your family members have no excuse but did your teachers/classmates know you were autistic? Why didnt you attend a special school?

Robin Sena
08-23-2008, 11:16 PM
If i didnt notice it i wouldnt really care cause that means he/she acts normal. I guess id be surprised but thats it.
Now back to you.. your family members have no excuse but did your teachers/classmates know you were autistic? Why didnt you attend a special school?I did, but they hurt me all the same. As such, I had no friends at all, for all my 44 years.

Saint Seiya
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Im sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult to deal with it. Did you ever go to therapy or something?

Bring Me The Horizon
08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
How would you feel, all joking aside, that your best friend revealed to you that he or she was autistic. I should know 'cos since I was born, i was autistic myself. Worst of all, some of my family members, the teachers and students, all trated me bloody badly, hurling me to the wall and/or floor, tied me to a chair, cursed at me and yelled at me, even tied me and forced me to eat bad food, even had one of the students spanke me; in fact, even some of the teachers spanked me in my early school years, blackmailing me, it was just a bloody nightmare for me, all because they had no mercy nor patience for an autistic like me.:(

I wouldnt care one bit cause if we're friends then we're friends there is no cut off cause your autistic i wouldnt care I'd be chill about it :):D

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't feel anything, because it isn't communicable.

This thread is silly, and without intentionally trying to sound like a jerk, I think you are just fishing for sympathy. Regardless, I think this is a topic that should be in your journal-thing.

And to be fair, physical restraint is occasionally necessary for autistic children, since there is a strong correlation between autism and physical aggression/temper tantrums. I feel we are probably only getting your side of this story, no?

Robin Sena
08-23-2008, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't feel anything, because it isn't communicable.

This thread is silly, and without intentionally trying to sound like a jerk, I think you are just fishing for sympathy. Regardless, I think this is a topic that should be in your journal-thing.

And to be fair, physical restraint is occasionally necessary for autistic children, since there is a strong correlation between autism and physical aggression/temper tantrums. I feel we are probably only getting your side of this story, no?Believe you me I was never intent on "fishing for sympathy," but asking how would anyone feel if their best friend was an autistic for years, so help me.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
But the question is itself silly. What are we supposed to say, "I would neuter them with a grapefruit spoon, move three states away, never return their calls and sign them up for magazines they clearly didn't want"? No one is going to say that. If they were autistic for years, and you didn't notice, it's not that big a deal.

And although that is the stated question, the emphasis is clearly on your story which has nothing to do with the question. You didn't reveal your autisticness to these people causing them to alienate you: they already knew. If they were physically restraining you, it leads me to believe that you were acting in a way that they considered dangerous to either yourself or others, and they weren't entirely out of line.

Robin Sena
08-24-2008, 12:25 AM
But the question is itself silly. What are we supposed to say, "I would neuter them with a grapefruit spoon, move three states away, never return their calls and sign them up for magazines they clearly didn't want"? No one is going to say that. If they were autistic for years, and you didn't notice, it's not that big a deal.

And although that is the stated question, the emphasis is clearly on your story which has nothing to do with the question. You didn't reveal your autisticness to these people causing them to alienate you: they already knew. If they were physically restraining you, it leads me to believe that you were acting in a way that they considered dangerous to either yourself or others, and they weren't entirely out of line.No. They already knew I was autistic, but even if they knew, they wouldn't care. No, they wouldn't care at all, no lie.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-24-2008, 12:33 AM
I like how you ignore the pertinent implied question of whether you were acting out to make them restrain you, and focus instead on how mean you think they were.

Gjallarhorn
08-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't care. If he/she/it was my best friend, and had always been autistic, what difference does it make?

Acnologia
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
I also wouldn't care, I wouldn't feel any different.

Liquidus Zeromus
08-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Wow, that is not very nice.

Well, I may or may not have asperger's syndrome myself(suggested by many people but not diagnosed), but I'm one of those who can act relatively "normal", if about as normal as a reclusive nerd. You can hardly tell now, at least, so I don't think it matters.

SSDynamite
08-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Well seeing as they're my friend, I would mind in the slightest.
If anything it would make me like them more for being able to trust me and confide in me.

Amray The II
08-24-2008, 07:14 AM
If you are autistic then you should not have to go through such things like that. Those were unfair actions for those people to do regarding your disorder.

If a friend told me that they were autistic, yet I had already met them and had already gotten to know them and found them nice people, then it would not at all change the way in which I treat them or see them. Although other than that it really depends on the situation and the way that they act towards me.

poison.ivy
08-24-2008, 10:07 AM
If a friend told me that they were autistic, yet I had already met them and had already gotten to know them and found them nice people, then it would not at all change the way in which I treat them or see them. Although other than that it really depends on the situation and the way that they act towards me.

My words exactly. If I haven't noticed it before, there's no reason to start acting different. Tho it would be good to know something like that in case of an emergency... Not sure what kind of emergency, but you know what I mean. :/

Robin Sena
08-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I like how you ignore the pertinent implied question of whether you were acting out to make them restrain you, and focus instead on how mean you think they were.I never did anything to warrant abuse nor restrint, never even picked a fight nor did anything to deserve to be sorted out; they only abused me and other handicapped stundets for no reason at all, because they felt like it.

suzumi
08-24-2008, 12:42 PM

If you really weren't acting in a way where the people around you felt that you need to be restricted, then I would call that abuse. And I think that you should have reported it to someone.

In answer to your question, I wouldn't treat my friend any different.

Amray The II
08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
If you really weren't acting in a way where the people around you felt that you need to be restricted, then I would call that abuse. And I think that you should have reported it to someone.

I would have recommended the same thing, although their is a limit to the amount of people you can talk to in this situation. And when the people abusing you are your school peers, your teachers, and even your own parents, then you are practically outnumbered. There is little the police and social services can do straight away in this kind of situation, especially when it is not only your own parents that are abusing you but also the people around you elsewhere too.

Diocletian
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if they were autistic.This isn't erectile disfunction.You can't see it from the outside.People with mental disabilities are fun to be around. You never know what's gonna happen.

sa5m
08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I would probably forget about it within the next day.

Robin Sena
08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
I would have recommended the same thing, although their is a limit to the amount of people you can talk to in this situation. And when the people abusing you are your school peers, your teachers, and even your own parents, then you are practically outnumbered. There is little the police and social services can do straight away in this kind of situation, especially when it is not only your own parents that are abusing you but also the people around you elsewhere too.I thought of reporting it to the police, but I was worried that my family would defend them and that even the police would take their side. Shows how blind justice can be.

winry13
08-24-2008, 08:50 PM
If I found out my friend was autistic, I would not treat He/She any different form the rest of my friends. There equally the same in there own way.

katayamadono
08-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I nearly dated an autistic boy. I didnt mind, we just never got together cuz he went off to college.
So clearly, it doesnt matter to me.

inOue
08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
if you're already my friend.. it won't matter much.. nothing has to change..>.<

Evockzi
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
No. They already knew I was autistic, but even if they knew, they wouldn't care. No, they wouldn't care at all, no lie.

Idk, Friend is a Friend in my Opinion, if you can look past the Autism and live with it then good for you...

Sanosuke23
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought of reporting it to the police, but I was worried that my family would defend them and that even the police would take their side. Shows how blind justice can be.

Technically you assumed the police would take their side and so you did nothing. Of course Justice is blind when you tell her there's nothing to see here.

Robin Sena
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Technically you assumed the police would take their side and so you did nothing. Of course Justice is blind when you tell her there's nothing to see here.
Especially when the teachers hid the truth from the parents.

Mitchyru
08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
People who make fun of you, and who treat you badly for being autistic are just ignorant. They have NO REASON to do that, just ignorant. It doesn't really matter, all that matters is what's in your heart.

~*Red*~
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm autistic, only slightly, but I act normal, so you can't tell.

If my best friend was autistic, I'd support them, since I am the same as they are.

Robin Sena
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
People who make fun of you, and who treat you badly for being autistic are just ignorant. They have NO REASON to do that, just ignorant. It doesn't really matter, all that matters is what's in your heart.Don't forget the mind and soul as well.

Mitchyru
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Ah, yes.

I'm not autistic at all, but I haven't met anybody who is, even slighty until now.

~*Red*~
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I didn't know anyone else on here was autistic, until me and Mitchyru started talking. I'm glad I've found a friend who's going through the same problems as me.

Robin Sena
08-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I didn't know anyone else on here was autistic, until me and Mitchyru started talking. I'm glad I've found a friend who's going through the same problems as me.
Right. It's a comfort to know I am in good company.:)

TheAsterisk!
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (symptoms amount to mild autism) a few years ago, so I have some insight into your experiences if you really are autistic. I would like to ask if you've displayed symptoms since birth, though. Since autism is, at present, defined by its symptoms that can make themselves obvious way after birth and not any physical or genetic markers, that's an important question.
1. What level of autism do you experience?
2. When were you diagnosed?
3. MP2K was correct about the physical aggression. I usually have enough presence of mind to go hide in the basement and beat the crap out of an old bunk bed with ski poles (I'm dead serious), but I can be one heck of a hand full if I don't isolate myself. If you're always quiet and peaceful then you probably aren't autistic. In my experience, trying to communicate with someone on an emotional level frustrates my incredibly, and eventually I get far too frustrated to remain calm. I get angry at any external stimuli and attack. I don't know if this is typical, but I wondered if you felt similarly.
4. If someone is autisic and doesn't recive any treatment, they probably have very few friends if any. They don't empathize well at all and tend to be curt. I think you'd notice something amiss if someone you knew was autisic.
5. Physical restrait may have been warranted depending on what terms were agreed upon by your parents, if you were a minor or an adult, and/or if you are not legally allowed to represent or manage yourself. I don't know the circumstances so I'll say no more. I can identify with how it doesn't seem to help the autistic one. Physical contact is painful, and restraint only makes me angrier, but I can also see why it is often justified.

The premise of this thread is a tad silly. If you're autistic, then you've a major communication impediment. Social situations become akward and empathy is difficult. Even if you are a highly functional autisic, you usually end up with no more than acquaintances, not best friends. Sorry, but I felt it needed to be pointed out for honesty's sake.

Aka Ari Kurosaki, do you know what you're saying? I can't communicate much more than information. I have trouble interpreting the simplest of body language. I cannot understand what inflections imply. I am a dry, curt tactless dweeb. I am typical of functioning autisitcs. I'm a mild case. Autistics aren't fun. They're self-centered, dry, and have emoitional and physical outburts. I wouldn't want to be around me. Would you, really?

Lavos
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what country are you from and what years did you go to school?

OminousCloud
09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I would feel saddened that they had autism, but other than that, not much would change.

boo radley
09-12-2008, 12:03 AM
This is kind of a weird question. It really wouldn't matter to me whether a friend is autistic or not. My aunt lives with me and she's autistic and I worked with an autistic dude at a previous job. Honestly, it's pretty easy to tell if someone is autistic. I don't know why but this thread just bothers me. Autism isn't like being a homosexual and just keeping who you are a secret from friends and family it's something that people should already be able to figure out after knowing you a while. A person is a person is a person no matter what. Unless you're Hitler or something.

Moral of the story: If people can't accept you then they need a punch in the face and/or scrotum.

Flaming_Ice
09-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Hmm....i'll tell him/her..

"Really?!Really?! Seriously?! Whoa, you're a great actor! It's not obvious!"

Just Kiddin'. Well, nothing will change, really, if she/he's a true friend of mine...

And about you.....it's a big OMG. That is so mean!!!

yilin
09-12-2008, 07:51 AM
no, I wouldn't care... but I'll be shocked! but, It's nothing.. coz bestfriend is a bestfriend... I don't care who she/ he are!