PDA

View Full Version : How to install Japanese support for your computer

Ertai87
08-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Windows: Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings. Somewhere in there should be the option to install East Asian Language support. There should be a checkbox to enable it for all programs (by default it is only enabled for MS Office and Notepad I think). Note that this might require a Windows install CD.

Mac: System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu -> Check off "Kotoeri". Enabled in all programs by default.

To mods: Please sticky.

Jininda-Grey
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Hm... I'm going to try that.

GaijinPunch
09-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Apparently Vista Pro is multi-lingual out of the box.
Have fun w/ Linux - it's much more cumbersome. ;)

Sparkie
09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Have fun w/ Linux - it's much more cumbersome. ;)

That really depends on your choice of distribution. I recall it being extremely simple last time I insalled openSUSE a few years ago, basically just a matter of selecting scim-anthy and other related packages from the package manager, and YaST done everything else for me. There's even a GUI (atleast in kde) for configuring it.

Ertai87
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Actually in Ubuntu it's quite easy. It has an "International" option, and you just click it and select Japanese and it does the rest for you ^_^

It's easiest on Mac tho :D

GaijinPunch
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
The problem w/ openSUSE is that they take the "brute force" approach (maybe as bad as Redhat?) and give you a bazillion packages... most of which you don't need.

I'm using gentoo. As w/ everything w/ Linux, it's a matter of taste. I've had awful luck w/ RH & Suse both, so wouldn't touch them w/ a 10-foot pole.

Also installed mine years ago, so... it might be easier now on gentoo. :)

modmadmike
10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Linux ftw lol :)