PDA

View Full Version : Learning Japenese

Kami6669
08-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Hai, guys ! I was thinking about starting to learn japenese and I'd like to have some help from everybody that knows how to write/speak it.

The way I intended to do so is with a little simple game. I will start by writing a sentence in english and someone will translate it in japenese and after it was properly translated the person posting after will write another sentence in english and we will go on and on and on...I thought it was a good way for me to start learning some words and memorize them by seeing them over and over.

Rules:

1- The sentence must have being properly translated, if not then we will continu with it 'till it is.
2-Don't start off with big complicated sentences, as we go on we will upgrade the ''difficulties'' of the sentences...
3-Don't write paragraphs...Just write up to 2-3 sentences max, so that people don't get bored translating all over...
4- Try to not rewrite the same sentences people already wrote.
5-Have fun and I hope other can learn japenese with me ! =)

Alright, here I go:

Good morning, everybody!

Ertai87
08-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Hm...I dunno if that would help you learn grammar...perhaps a modified ruleset? That is, instead of sentences, we play the word game except alternate English and Japanese. That is, for example, you say "Hello", and the next person would respond with こんにちは, followed by a word that begins with は, for example, はじめる. Then the next person would reply with "Begin" and then add a word that starts with n, etc. That would help with vocabulary. Sentences are hard to think of, and people would get bored.

That said, I'll continue your game.

おはよう みんなさん!

Do you speak Japanese?

aishiteru333
08-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I think I know how to play...

日本語を話す

Excuse me!

Kami6669
08-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Lol, okay, I guess we could do that. But, can someone link me to a japenese language translator driver? I can't see the japenese words =( It's all some kinds of blocks...

shinnraiu
08-24-2008, 01:47 AM
I think I know how to play...

日本語を話す

Excuse me!

日本語を話せますか。
is more correct

次~
すみませんが~

What's your name?

---
Also, to the poster of the first post, I think it might help if you spell 'Japanese' correctly. Just a little thought. ^^;

rikumi
08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
君/あなた/お前/貴様の名前は(なんですか)?

Can it be....that you're an otaku?

Kami6669
08-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Ehh, yeah. I just saw that lol, I did spell it japenese. >.>

君/あなた/お前/貴様の名前は(なんですか)?

Like I said, does someone knows where I can download a japanese language translator driver?

'Cause what I see are those weird blocks. ^

rikumi
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
君/あなた/お前/貴様の名前は(なんですか)? <-- these are weird blocks?

lol I'm sorry I really don't have any idea 'bout that. Mine comes with the Windows XP package.

suzumi
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
すみませんが~

I could also be 失礼 (しつれい・shitsurei )

Moving on...

"Can it be...that you're an otaku?"

貴方はもしかして・・・オタクですか?

Can you show me how to get to the station?

Ertai87
08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't think it's an OS-level problem, as I've never had a problem viewing Japanese through a non-IE browser (I never used IE, so I can't comment on that). If you're using IE, try switching to Firefox (downloadable for free at www.mozilla.org). If that doesn't work, I posted a guide for installing East Asian Language support a couple weeks ago, although it's not stickied (although it really should be *hint hint PookyChan hint hint*).

Anyway, moving on with the game:

駅へ行く方向を知らせてください。 (Is there an equivalent question-sentence, or is this the only way to do it?)

Subtitled in Hiragana (I refuse to do Romanji):
えきへいくほうこうをしらせてください。

What's your favourite anime?

Zynm
08-24-2008, 04:59 PM
あなたの一番好きなアニメは何ですか?(hoping this is somewhat correct, I'm still edgy at constructing sentences)

I'll add a full kana written one too, following Ertai87's example, it seems like a good idea.

あなたのいちばんすきなアニメはなんですか?

Have you been to Japan before?

Anyaaa
08-24-2008, 05:26 PM
日本にいったことがありますか
Kana: にほんにいったことがありますか

"What time is it?"

Kami6669
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I use firefox, I'll go see for that thread on how to install the asian language.

By the time, continue posting people =)

Okay, it works now, thanks Ertai !

Btw: How do you guys write with the japanese letters? You change the keyboard language and you change back after, or what?

Evockzi
08-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I use firefox, I'll go see for that thread on how to install the asian language.

By the time, continue posting people =)

Okay, it works now, thanks Ertai !

Btw: How do you guys write with the japanese letters? You change the keyboard language and you change back after, or what?

Had stupid thing Freeze up.. now gotta Rewrite it..

じかんのですか

thats probably horribly Wrong, I still don't know all the Conjunctions etc.. I am still learning the basics, don't really know how to build Sentences yet. ( Got Time from translator since I don't know all of basic grammar yet.)

Anywho:

"Do you Like Anime?" ( nice Easy one)

For Vista not sure about XP

Control Panel > Clock Language Region > Regional Language > Keyboard and Languages > Change Keyboard > Add > Go down to Japanese Click on Microsoft IME Add that.

I did it awhile ago so might need to mess around a bit, alt+shift is quick Shift between japanese and English.

Zynm
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
As far as I know, what would be more correct for asking the time is:

今何時ですか?

いまなんじですか?

Yours:
アニメが好きですか?

アニメがすきですか?

Next one up:

Today was really tiring at work.

Kami6669
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
イティンキゴチt?

^I think I got it?

That's what it's suppose to be...I'm still not knowing which japanese language I should choose.

I'll enumerate them:

Inputs:

Hiragana
Full-width Katakana
Full-width Alphanumeric
Half-width katakana
Half-width Alphanumeric
Direct Input

Conversions:

General
Bias for Names
Bias for speech
No conversion

That's it.

Ertai87
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
@Kami6669: You'd probably only want to use Hiragana and Full Width Katakana as a general rule (when I was on Windows, that's all I used). For the conversions, leave it as General. I never touched that option. I think it has to do with what Kanji get used when you use Kanji. "Alphanumeric" means Romanji ("Alpha" for "Alphabet", "numeric" for "numbers", hence Romanji), and the Half-Width is an old standard nobody uses anymore.

@Zynm: Strictly speaking, you're missing a は、although I'm just being a grammar nazi now XD

@the game:

今日の仕事で疲れられました。 (lit: "I was made tired by today's work"...I think...I never got used to passive voice...please correct me if I'm wrong :D)

きょうのしごとでつかれられました。

Next: You're really good at Japanese!

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
日本語がお上手ですね。 ("You are good at Japanese.")
にほんごがじょうずですね。

あなたは上手に日本語を話す。 ("You speak Japanese well.")
あなたはじょうずににほんごをはなす。

Next: I don't want to go to school.

^ Ever so true.

Ertai87
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
@Pengin-san: Shouldn't it be 日本語が話せる for your second sentence? Lit: "You are able to speak Japanese well", instead of "You speak Japanese well".

Continuing on:

学校に行きたくない〜! <- Ever so false XD

がっこうにいきたくない〜!

Next: Sitting at home is so boring :( <- Ever so true

08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
@Ertai - It could be, I guess. I just thought it'd be simpler to use "上手", because I learned that first o.o.

suzumi
08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Next: Sitting at home is so boring :( <- Ever so true

家にいるのがつまらない。 or 家にいるのが退屈

いえにいるのがつまらない/いえにいるのがたいくつ

I suggest you have someone fluent in Japanese (like Datenshiさん) come in and correct the sentences when they are wrong.

Or, I don't mind doing it either. But Datenshiさん is way better at explaining things than me, so you'd probably be better off with him. ^^;

Kami6669
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
おはよう。

^Good morning? I think I got it...

Ertai87
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
@Pengin-san: Nono, I mean after the 上手 you should use 日本語が話せる instead of 日本語を話す, I think. I misexplained it XD

@suzumi or Kami6669: What's the next sentence?

Kami6669
08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
No clue, lol. I'm lost..Someone start one?

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
おはよう。

^Good morning? I think I got it...

Well from what I've learned so far おはよう is the more casual Good morning so more like just saying Mornin. おはようございます is the more polite one? Correct me if I am wrong.

As for Next sentence,
"Where do you Come from?" ( Again fairly easy one ^^)

Kami6669
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Where do you Come from?

あなたわどこからきたのですか?

Next one:

What is your favorite food?

btw:おはようございます this is Ohayou gosaimasu, Right?

Zynm
08-26-2008, 04:05 PM
@Kami6669 : When using wa as a particle you write it with the hiragana は, so it'd be あなたはどこから来たのですか?

Question regarding this sentence, are the kanji 何処 / 何所 widely used or is it mostly written in hiragana?

おはようございます is ohayou gozaimasu yes

What is your favorite food?

あなたの一番好きな食べ物は何ですか?

あなたのいちばんすきなたべものはなんですか?

This is how I would say it but I'm wondering if there's another way of saying this, maybe a more casual, less roundabout way?

Kami6669
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
[quote=Zynm;2114266]@Kami6669 : When using wa as a particle you write it with the hiragana は, so it'd be あなたはどこから来たのですか?

Why was this 来 added? is it a word I missed?

Question regarding this sentence, are the kanji 何処 / 何所 widely used or is it mostly written in hiragana?

For my part all I can say is that I only write in hiragana because that's what I was told to do. And I like the fact that people are helping me starting to understand japanese as I know nothing about it...I think someone will answer your question soon. >.>

Evockzi
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
[quote=Zynm;2114266]@Kami6669 : When using wa as a particle you write it with the hiragana は, so it'd be あなたはどこから来たのですか?

Why was this 来 added? is it a word I missed?

For my part all I can say is that I only write in hiragana because that's what I was told to do. And I like the fact that people are helping me starting to understand japanese as I know nothing about it...I think someone will answer your question soon. >.>

Not sure if anyone has told you yet, but go to nihongo.j-talk.com/parser/

Just put the Kanji or whatever in there and convert it to whatever you want. ^^ works great for me for Kanji I don't understand ( I know almost no Kanji )

Ertai87
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
@Zynm: You forgot to add a new sentence.

@Kami6669: 来 is the Kanji used for the verb くる. It's also used as らい for words like らいしゅう (next week) and らいねん (next year). If you're a FFX user, check out the extension Rikaichan. I use it myself and it's amazing. I wrote a bit about it in the "Internet Sites" sticky at the top of the forum.

[edit] Also @Kami6669: の at the end of a sentence is a question particle used similar to か (it's slightly different; I'd use か in this sentence...the difference is difficult to describe). If you're intending on using it that way, の is sufficient; you don't need のですか. If you use のですか, I think, it means you're using the nominal phrasing particle の, so your sentence wouldn't make any sense. If you want to make your sentence formal, you'd use きましたか instead of きたの.

Kami6669
08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Then if I use this の it means that I would have to end the sentence with it? If I continu it I need to use this か? Not quite sure what you meant..

Ertai87
08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
lol particles in Japanese are quite confusing...there are 3 uses of the particle の:

1) The possessive particle の, used to say that something is possessed by something else (e.g. わたしのほん, "My book"). Also used for turning a noun into an adjective (e.g. カナダのだいがく, "Canadian university").

2) The nominal phrase particle の, used at the end of an informal sentence to use it as a noun (e.g. にほんごをはなすのはちょっとむずかしいですね, "Speaking Japanese is a bit tough, isn't it?"). Alternately, you can use こと here as well.

3) The question particle の, used at the end of an informal question sentence. It's different from か, which is also a question particle, but the difference is difficult to explain. Using の shows empathy or doesn't have as much of an accusing tone for sensitive questions as か. For example, you could say なにをしてるの? ("What are you doing?"), which is roughly equivalent to the English "What's up?". On the other hand, if you say なにをしてるか?, it's more like the accusatory "What are you doing?" you'd hear from an authority figure.

I hope that was clear XD

Anyway, we still don't have a new sentence...

Zynm
08-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Sorry for that ^^;

In three years I will go to study at Kansai University.

Kami6669
08-27-2008, 01:09 AM
^Argh tough one, I wonder what it will look like in japanese letters...Ima pass on this one and learn from the masters. xD

Ertai87
08-27-2008, 10:59 AM
三年間の後で、僕は関西大学に勉強しに行くつもりです。 (lit: In 3 years, I plan to go to study at Kansai University)

さんねんかんのあとで、ぼくはかんさいだいがくにべんきょうしにいくつもりです。

Next: I miss Japan! <- So true :'(

08-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Damn, I was gonna answer that one XD!

日本が恋しい。 (You can use "寂しくなります" too, right?)
にほんがこいしい。

Next: I have been sick for a week.

Ertai87
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
I think 恋しい is more for people...I was looking for 懐かしい (なつかしい)...I think, or that's what I heard is used anyway...恋しい looks weird, just by the Kanji XD (for those not versed in Kanji, 恋 is a synonym of 愛, or あい, a word you've likely heard *a lot* in J-Pop, meaning "love")

Anyway, I've been way too active here, I'm gonna bow out for a bit.

Kami6669
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
^Why...? It's fun to have some active people here, it makes me learn a lot.

Anyaaa
08-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Hm... I looked at some of the sample sentences on the WWWJDIC and the ones there use 恋しい to talk about missing home or Japanese food or whatnot, as well as people. But then... y'never know with that site...

Haha, this thread has taught me that I hardly know any practical Japanese at all. Whups 8D

08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
I think 恋しい is more for people...I was looking for 懐かしい (なつかしい)...I think, or that's what I heard is used anyway...恋しい looks weird, just by the Kanji XD (for those not versed in Kanji, 恋 is a synonym of 愛, or あい, a word you've likely heard *a lot* in J-Pop, meaning "love")

Anyway, I've been way too active here, I'm gonna bow out for a bit.

Hm... well, I knew 恋 looked weird, but it's like... more emphasized than 懐かしい XD!

suzumi
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Alright. I'm gonna do a quick sweep here...

駅へ行く方向を知らせてください。 (Is there an equivalent question-sentence, or is this the only way to do it?)

Subtitled in Hiragana (I refuse to do Romanji):
えきへいくほうこうをしらせてください

駅へ行く方向を教えてください。
えきへいくほうこうをおしえてください。

You can also say:

駅への道を教えてください。
えきへのみちをおしえてください。

or

駅への行き方を教えてください。
えきへのいきかたをおしえてください。

@Kami6669 : When using wa as a particle you write it with the hiragana は, so it'd be あなたはどこから来たのですか?

何処 is used more then 何所. It's kind of 30% hiragana, 70% kanji.

三年間の後で、僕は関西大学に勉強しに行くつもりです。 (lit: In 3 years, I plan to go to study at Kansai University)

さんねんかんのあとで、ぼくはかんさいだいがくにべんきょうしにいくつもりです。

You can also say:

三年後に僕は関西大学の生徒になります。
さんねんごにぼくはかんさいだいがくのせいとになります。
(lit: In 3 years, I will become a student at Kansai University.)

Damn, I was gonna answer that one XD!

日本が恋しい。 (You can use "寂しくなります" too, right?)
にほんがこいしい。

Next: I have been sick for a week.

Not really. 寂しい is more for people (or pets). 恋しい is correct though. ^^

On to the question...

この一週間ずっと熱を出しています。
このいっしゅうかんずっとねつをだしています。

Next question:

How much does that cost?

Anyaaa
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
それはいくらですか?

When I am older, I would like to be a doctor. (Or something of a similar meaning ;D)

Ertai87
08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
学校を卒業する後で、医者になりたいです。 (lit: After I graduate school, I want to become a doctor...I presume you mean "doctor" as in M.D., not doctor as in Ph.D. XD)

がっこうをそつぎょうするあとで、いしゃになりたいです。

Next: My major (University, not military, obv XD) is [subject of your choice].

Zynm
08-29-2008, 03:58 AM
私の専攻は日本学です。

わたしのせんこうはにほんがくです。

Next: The [insert subject here] professor teaches really well, I can follow his explanations easily.

Kami6669
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Seems like no one knows, ehh? I don't know myself, so I'm waiting on someone =P

kitarimoon
09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Can I make a suggestion? Just so we all can read-although I have a book on kanji-why don't you try asking everyone to write in romaji? Surely everyone would be able to write this before they could write it in kanji.

I also think it would be good if you started off with katakana and hiragana for your studies. It's the basic-I believe the word is syllabary/alphabet-whatever. Start with the hiragana though because I think the katakana is for translating foreign words.

Ertai87
09-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Can I make a suggestion? Just so we all can read-although I have a book on kanji-why don't you try asking everyone to write in romaji? Surely everyone would be able to write this before they could write it in kanji.

I also think it would be good if you started off with katakana and hiragana for your studies. It's the basic-I believe the word is syllabary/alphabet-whatever. Start with the hiragana though because I think the katakana is for translating foreign words.

Romanji is for people too lazy to learn Hiragana and Katakana. We all subtitle in Kana (one or the other) so it's not hard to read if you put the time into learning it, and when you can easily practise, it's even easier to learn.

Anyway, I didn't want the game to turn into only 2 people playing, so I waited, but it looks like the thread is dying so...

日本語の先生は上手で教えて、よく分かります。 (lit: The Japanese teacher is skilled at teaching. I understand him well)

にほんごのせんせいはじょうずでおしえて、よくわかります。

Next: Can I borrow a pencil please?

09-06-2008, 01:45 AM
鉛筆を貸してください。
えんぴつをかしてください。
Well, it literally means "lend me a pencil please", but I think that will work :3.

Next: Follow this street, and turn left on the next corner please.

suzumi
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Next: The [insert subject here] professor teaches really well, I can follow his explanations easily.

Anyway, I didn't want the game to turn into only 2 people playing, so I waited, but it looks like the thread is dying so...

日本語の先生は上手で教えて、よく分かります。 (lit: The Japanese teacher is skilled at teaching. I understand him well)

にほんごのせんせいはじょうずでおしえて、よくわかります。

I was trying to think of a way to say that in Japanese without cutting the sentence in two or changing the meaning of it... The closest I got was:

~教授は日本語をとてもわかりやすく教えてくれます。

~きょうじゅはにほんごをとてもわかりやすくおしえてくれます。

lit: Professor ~'s way of teaching Japanese is very easy to understand/follow.

In Japanese, you don't really need the "skilled at teaching" part because you say that his/her lessons are easy to understand. Which basically means the same thing.

Ertai, you pretty much got it but, it should be something more like;

日本語の先生は上手に教えてくれて、分かりやすいです。

Next: Follow this street, and turn left on the next corner please.

この道をまっすぐ行って、次の角で左にまがって下さい。

このみちをまっすぐいって、つぎのかどでひだりにまがってください。

Next: If I don't catch the next train, I'll be late.

Ertai87
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
@suzumi: Why 〜てくれて? He's not teaching *you*, he's teaching a class you happen to be a part of. You happen to benefit from his teaching, but he's not doing it as a favor to you, which is how I understand 〜てくれる to work. Also, I knew the other grammar notes, I'm just not good at Japanese at like 2 am when I wrote that (heck, I'm barely coherent in English at 2am...interestingly enough, though, I seem to write the best code at about 2am...)

@the game:

次の電車に入られなければ、遅く着します (lit (it just occurred to me that people might not understand "lit". It's my shorthand for "literally translated"): If I can't get on the next train, I'll arrive late)

つぎのでんしゃにはいられなければ、おそくちゃくします。

Next: My friend brought me a souvenir from Japan.

suzumi
09-21-2008, 05:26 AM
@Ertai: I know you know, but you didn't fix it so I just posted the right way to say it for you cause there is really no point in teaching the people here uncorrect Japanese, でしょ?

In answer to your question: I'm not quite sure if your interpretation of ~てくれる is right or wrong... >_>; I'm sorry. I know, I'm really useless when it comes to explaining things about the Japanese language. >_< You'd probably be better off asking Mistress or Datenshi-san about this kind of stuff.

Oh!! And I finally realised there is a way to translate that sentence!!

あの日本語の先生の教え方がとても上手で、分かりやすいです。
(lit. That Japanese teacher is very skilled at teaching, and is easy to follow.)

And Ertai, it should be: 次の電車に乗らなければ、遅く着きます。
つぎのでんしゃにのらなければ、おそくつきます。

@ the game:

友達から日本のお土産を貰いました。
ともだちからにほんのおみやげをもらいました。

(lit. I recived a Japanese souvenir from my friend.)

Next: Are you not feeling well?

09-21-2008, 09:11 AM
気分が良くありませんか。
きぶんがよくありませんか。

This is the most common way I've heard, so correct me if I'm wrong o.o.

Next: Let's go see a movie together.

wendymidorichan
09-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I've heard it said that way, and another way to say it with close friends is

元気じゃないね。
「げんき」

But, it's more like something you would after someone did something that really didn't look healthy, like a cough or sneeze. Well, I'm not sure what specifics of Japanese this topic is on, so I'll just ask a question. ^_^

誰が自分で日本語を勉強しますか。

だれがじぶんでにほんごをべんきょうしますか。

Who studies Japanese on their own?

Wow, if I had to read that sentence in hiragana, it would take me so much longer to read that this first one with kanji! That's why I just love kanji, it's the lifeblood of Japanese!!

noobee
09-26-2008, 10:53 PM
you guys r so good in Japanese

wendymidorichan
09-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey Noobee, do you use that site you have a link for in your sig?
面白いと思っていますよ。も一度日本に行きたいです。じゃまた。

おもしろいとおもっていますよ。もいちどにっぽんにいきたいです。

Rinoa Iam
09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Next: Let's go see a movie together.

一緒に映画を見に行こう。
いっしょにえいがをみにいこう。

Ichose to go with a direct, "you-are-my-close-friend-so-I-won't-use-the-distal-style" approach here, heh heh. I know there are more ways you can say this, though, so please feel free to continue listing variations. :laugh:

Next: Studying Japanese is really fun!

wendymidorichan
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
:laugh:

Next: Studying Japanese is really fun!

日本語の勉強は本当に楽しいですよ。

にほんごのべんきょうはたのしいですよ。

Next: My cat is cuter than your cat. (Or whatever else you want to write in Japanese ^_^)

MistressPookyChan
09-30-2008, 10:23 AM
私の猫のほうがかわいいですよ!

next: I have an orange on my head.

wendymidorichan
10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
私の頭「あたま」の上でオレンジがあります。

Hehe, that was an easy one. Okay, so let me think of something harder...

Next: I don't have to listen to your boring speech!

Does that sound like something a Japanese person would say? I think not.

Rinoa Iam
10-01-2008, 11:40 PM
あなたのつまらない演説を聞かないといけないわけじゃないです!
あなたのつまらないえんぜつをきかないといけないわけじゃないです!

That's a lot of ないs. HA HA HA! This makes me laugh 'cuz I tried to make it sound polite, and yet it sounds so....funny! (Also depends on what word you want to use for "speech." I went with formal address kind of speech instead of 話(はなし)or スピーチ。ああ、笑った、笑った!このゲームは本当に面白いです!(このげーむはほんとうにおもしろいです !)

*thanks to my husband, who helped me think of a sentence!*

次(つぎ)Next: When I'm sad, I like to eat ice cream.

MistressPookyChan
10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
悲しいとき、アイスクリームを食べます。

つぎ! I don't mind riding the Tokaido Line all day.

wendymidorichan
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM
終日とかいど線を乗ることが結構です。
しゅうじつとかいどせんをのることがけっこうです。

Uh, I didn't know the kanji for 「とかいど」、I also half guessed how to say that, so if anyone has a better way of saying it, then please do. Okay, try this!

次: I want to play a soccer game with a peacock. 
(It sounds hard, but it should be easy.)

LavaBug
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
俺はピ-コックとサッカをしたい。。。
次 
beware of the crows!

MistressPookyChan
10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
東海道線 - toukaidou sen

yay train geekery!

Rinoa Iam
10-04-2008, 01:59 PM
カラスを気をつけて!

これも面白い文節ですよ!
これもおもしろいぶんせつですよ!

次:Even though I said to be careful, they didn't listen to me.

(It's a little complex, but again shouldn't be too bad...)

wendymidorichan
10-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I know this is gong to sound stupid, but I'll try it anyway.

気をつけてと言ったけど、聞かさなかった。
きをつけてといったけど、きかさなかった。

Is that the proper from of 「聞く」 to use? i just guessed with that one...Oh yeah, and peacock in Japanese is 「くじゃく」。

次: How do I say monkey butt in Japanese?

Yes, I'm serious! I really am curious as to how you would say monkey butt...

LavaBug
10-09-2008, 06:43 AM
try saru(no)ketsu - not sure if the 'no' is necessary...
and don't use it here because that'll be inappropiate language and therefore you'll get a bad rep or worse :P

As for the peacock thing and animal names in general, I find it always hard to guess which one a Japanese would use (English one or Japanese one), thanks to a certain inconsequence on their part -_-"
My experience just says: Unless you are Japanese, don't be so sure...

wendymidorichan
10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Ah, that makes sense, about both parts, and I really wasn't going to use it, my friend just wanted to know how to say it in Japanese. Oh, and yeah, I noticed that the Japanese tend to use the English word and add their own pronunciation to it...

Okay, let's try something nicer, yes?

次:I fed a lion at the zoo today.

honeysenpai17
10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I rather speak the language than to write

LavaBug
10-09-2008, 02:48 PM
今日は動物園にライオンに餌を遣った。

次 I think the great buddha in Nara is bigger than the one in Kamakura.

honeysenpai17: do you walk into a chinese restaurant to tell the staff that you rather eat italian food than chinese ?
(Taken the answer is no, please do make senseless posts...)

Rinoa Iam
10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
奈良の仏像は鎌倉の仏像より大きいと思います。
(ならのぶつぞうはかまくらのぶつぞうよりおおきいとおもいます。)

次:The deer in Nara attack people.

(Okay, so really they just come after you really fast if you buy the deer food. This happened in front of me one time, funny story!)

Ertai87
10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
奈良の鹿は人を襲ってる。

ならのしかはひとをおそってる。

Funny story: when I was in Japan, I went to Nara with my school group. My TA bought some deer food and was attacked by the deer. Problem was he's about 5'0, maybe 120lbs. It was funny.

次: I hate tests which make me miss movies.

True story. I have a midterm the same day and time as the once-only showing of Bleach: Memories of Nobody :(

Miss Moonlight
10-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I am not fluent it in, but I have been studying/translating it for a while. I need to brush up on my kanji, though. ;)

MistressPookyChan
10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
The deer in Nara are terrible. Scabby, attack people... most everyone I know that have been to Nara have been attacked or had something of theirs attacked (bag, book, etc). The deer at Miyajima are a little nicer and in better condition, I think.

LavaBug
10-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Well worst think happening to me was that one deer tried to eat my ice...
But I wasn't attacked (I would have retaliated though, they maybe knew that)

Ertai87
10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Well worst think happening to me was that one deer tried to eat my ice...
But I wasn't attacked (I would have retaliated though, they maybe knew that)

I think the fact that I've met you in real life makes that somewhat more amusing XD

Perhaps this thread is in need of a rerail...

zerog
10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
dang, I wish I can learn to write, I know basic stuff in speaking the language...
O genki Desu ka lol

Rinoa Iam
10-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll give the sentence a shot:

映画を見るのを逸させる試験が大嫌い!
(えいがをみるのをいっさせるしけんがだいきらい!)

Oh, those deer! Yes, beware if you venture to buy deer food in Nara!! Remember this well!! (It sounds like many of us have had eye-witness accounts of this, if not first-hand experience, lol)

次:My favorite color is blue! (I did an easy one so more people can join in!)

Note: But of course, I am not 100% confident in my translation of Ertai's sentence, so if someone wants to give it another, better shot, go ahead!!

MistressPookyChan
10-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Since we have had about 4 different topics, let's close this and re-start.