PDA

View Full Version : Unsure of Japanese word

loveyourfate
08-10-2008, 10:46 AM
There's this word (I'm not exactly sure what word it is though:unsure:) and I'd really like an exact defenition because I've seen several different translations in anime.
The word I'm talking about is said when someone is wrong about something and the person tells them so. I've seen it mostly translated as "no"

I listened intensly but the closest I got to the actual word was:

shigal, shiga, shigai, shigaw, shikai

lol, I sound really silly, but I would really like to know what exactly the word is and the exact meaning.

Thanks for helping me out ;) :D

Bloomingdale
08-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmmm...where have you heard it from?

Ertai87
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
You're probably looking for "chigau (ちがう, 違う)". "Chigau" is a verb meaning "to differ", although it's usually translated as "to be wrong". It's also used to correct someone, especially when they say something about a particular person.

Chocobo
08-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Generally, I've seen nai at the end of words depicted to be negatives, so possible...

Shi'nai - It does not do, like... "Don't do that!!" Maybe...Got a sound clipping or somewhere on youtube to hear it?

Edit: Now that I read ertai's post, it most likely is Chigau; if you heard shigal/shigaw, and weren't used to hearing shi and chi all the time, it'd be easy to mix the two sounds up.

loveyourfate
08-10-2008, 11:45 AM
You're probably looking for "chigau (ちがう, 違う)". "Chigau" is a verb meaning "to differ", although it's usually translated as "to be wrong". It's also used to correct someone, especially when they say something about a particular person.

I think that's it thanks, it was driving me insane lol