PDA

View Full Version : How do you say All or Most of?

Chocobo
08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes...it's me...the Chocobo. Again.

Anyway, as my predictions were true, sensei assigned us to write an introductory paragraph just of ourselves. Aren't I smart? Anyway, the foreign exchange student has already arrived [OMG...so quickly!], which is why she's actually doing that.

Anyway, I've gotten my paragraph down to my hobbies. I listen [this is in English but written in Japanese]: anime, manga, TV games, Jpop, and Kpop. However. Here's the section I'm having trouble with:

"My favorite Jpop singer is Utada Hikaru and my favorite song of Hikki's [her nickname] is...

That's where I get stuck at. Since I'm in III, but we just finished the I book, I can form my sentence best like:

日本語の歌手は 好きな 宇多田・ヒカルで、ヒッキのうたは 好きな。。。

How would I say "My favorite song of Hikki's is all of them" or "My favorite song of Hikki's is most of them." When answering, can you try to keep the structure close to, what I'll say, is the formal basics. That's all we learn until III. Even though I'm in III, we'll be using the II books.

Diocletian
08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I only know fractions of a sentence.
Bantan if I'm correct means All.
Mottomo is most.
Of I have no idea.
Ongaku is music I'm sure.

Chocobo
08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I know 音楽(おんがく)is music, but I'm saying that her favorite song 歌(うた).
If I were to use 万端(ばんたん)I wouldn't know how to word it into the sentence properly. For now...I'll just type it and leave a blank line. X_x

Diocletian
08-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I know 音楽(おんがく)is music, but I'm saying that her favorite song 歌(うた).
If I were to use 万端(ばんたん)I wouldn't know how to word it into the sentence properly. For now...I'll just type it and leave a blank line. X_x
Oh,I didn't see the song part.I skimmed.Eika is music.Or you can use it the Westernized way and say songu.

Rizuchan
08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
saying "My favorite song of Hikki's is all of them" is improper grammar in English, so I'm finding it rather difficult to compose a similar sentence in Japanese.
Do you have to specifically use that sentence structure? Otherwise you might say something like
日本語の歌手は好きな宇多田・ヒカルです. 全ての歌が好きです.
My favorite Japanese singer is Utada Hikaru. I like all of her songs.

全て(すべて) I believe fits the description of the word you're looking for.

Chocobo
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh,I didn't see the song part.I skimmed.Eika is music.Or you can use it the Westernized way and say songu.

Um. I first learned ソング and didn't really like it, so I went up to sensei and said, "Sensei, SONGU doesn't appeal to me. Is there a Japanese word for Music?" and she told me 音楽(おんがく) not えいか. I've heard of えいご...
----------

saying "My favorite song of Hikki's is all of them" is improper grammar in English, so I'm finding it rather difficult to compose a similar sentence in Japanese.
Do you have to specifically use that sentence structure? Otherwise you might say something like
日本語の歌手は好きな宇多田・ヒカルです. 全ての歌が好きです.
My favorite Japanese singer is Utada Hikaru. I like all of her songs.

全て(すべて) I believe fits the description of the word you're looking for.

You're right. The sentence should actually be "I like all of Hikkis' songs." But Yeah, that words just perfectly! She never did say we have to link similar sentences. I don't exactly need to put Hikki in there.

o_o I love you. みんなさん!どうも ありがとう ございました! (I think I may or may not have to review Min'na/Minna+san. >_>;;

Cloudyboi
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
"My favorite song of Hikki's is all of them" or "My favorite song of Hikki's is most of them."

”一番好きなヒッキのソング中でわほとんどの方が好きです”
"ichiban sukina Hikki no songu naka dewa hotondo no hou ga suki desu"
"My faorite song of Hikki's is most of them"

”すべてのヒッキのソングが好きです”
"subete no Hikki no songu ga suki desu"
"i like all of Hikki's songs"

i know the first sentence i gave u might be pretty long for you, but formalness usually is followed by longer lengthly sentences in Japanese.
i used SONGU insteand of UTA or KYOKU, due to popular use of waseigo now a days.

and u said keep it kinda formal, so these are my 'formal' versions.
although i wouldnt personally say it like that. i tend to mostly speak very informal cuz im hardly ever in an formal situation.

word keys:

Hotondo - most, most of

Subete - all, every

Ikutsuka - some

Ikuraka - some

just in case u need some more variations. sorry i was too lazy to put the Japanese writing for the words... =/

Chocobo
08-07-2008, 08:15 PM
It's alright. I turned in the paper, the only one with more than 5 lines...the only one with more than 20 lines actually X_x of just my hobbies. Plus a Chocobo drawing of Choco-meteo ability at the top. Actually, that wouldn't make a bad signature.

Anyway, everything on the paper was perfect, by using 全て, except one part. For some strange reason, I keep wanting to write: Topicは 好きな Nameです。 When it should be 好きな Topicは Nameです。 I know that, but when I write it I turn so retarded. X_x

Ruby_MoonT
08-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Anyway, everything on the paper was perfect, by using 全て, except one part. For some strange reason, I keep wanting to write: Topicは 好きな Nameです。 When it should be 好きな Topicは Nameです。 I know that, but when I write it I turn so retarded. X_x

haha, not to worry too much, the Japanese grammar is pretty much the reverse of English when it comes to subject and verb order (took a bit of linguistic class :p). just take your time and learn it well ^^

shinnraiu
08-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Eh.. to correct a little grammar. Try this instead.

一番好きな日本の歌手は宇多田ヒカルと言います。
Ichiban suki na nihon no kashu ha utada hikaru to iimasu
or if you didn't learn "to iimasu" yet, just "utada hikaru desu".
I think "Nihon no kashu" is better to use than "Nihongo no kashu" in this case. Also "suki na" should come before "kashu" so you're saying "favored singer".