PDA

View Full Version : Job Names in Japanese

Chocobo
08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Err, yeah. I didn't know how to describe this in the title X_x Every year [literally] when you enter Japanese (III for me starting tomorrow) sensei asks us to write about our lives. Like...literally give a biography of ourselves.

It includes...
I. Introduction (Name, Age, Hobbies, etc)
II. Family (Names, Ages, Jobs, etc)
III. Every day life (Time you get up, school schedule, when you go to bed, etc)
IV. A Random Holiday (explain what you got/gave, mainly Valentines Day, White Day, or Christmas, but can be a birthday)

Anyway! Right now, what I'm sort of having trouble with is...

[B]What's the Japanese word closest to a "jack-of-all-trades/handy man"? The best I could come up with was 便利な人 (convenient man). If it happens to be right, then...yay for me! X_x

And...

What's the Japanese word closest to "barge repairman"? Actually, I have no clue if my brother still works there =/ He did last year. I think now he words at Pella [peh-lah] or Jackel [yay-GUHL].

If I'm right, Pella would be ペーラ and Jackel would be イェイーガル, or at least, I think so. Correct me if I'm wrong and help would be appreciated on this matter. Thank you ^_^;;

Also, please don't ask me why Jackel is pronounced like Bagel with a J/Y, because I don't know. X_x and I don't WANT to know.

Diocletian
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Handy man,huh?Well Gintoki is a free-lance agent and he's called a Yorozuya.Yes I used anime to answer a question.I may or may not be wrong.My sensei sadly is gonna make me do that in level 4.DANG!

Chocobo
08-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Yay, a reply! For once...

At level I here, we are only supposed to learn at max I think 50 Kanji, and she flashcarded us everyday into learning around 180. She never did show us how to write them; she mainly wanted us to recognize them on sight.

Hmm, our sensei is nice, though. ^_^ If you forget something, she'll help you through; I can always ask her again. For the Barge Repairman, I think I can just use the "Barge no Repairman" style, but I'll have to look those up.

Datenshi
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
"jack of all trades" -> 何でも屋(なんでもや)、便利屋(べんりや)

「便利な人」 would be "convinient person", which has associated nuances that are probably not quite what you're looking for.

"barge repairman" -> [荷]船の修理屋([に]ふねのしゅうりや), [荷]船の修理工([に]ふねのしゅうりこう)

"barge" is a tricky word to translate because it's such a general word in English (you could mean anything from a navy boat to a cargo freight). I chose 荷船 (cargo ship), but it might be better to use 船 for safe measure.

修理屋 and 修理工 are pretty much interchangable but 修理工 is more like an engineer or craftsman, while 修理屋 can be used for someone just in the business, like the owner of a factory.

Chocobo
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I think I'll go with 便利屋, just because I have that written down on my paper only with the added "な人". And for the barge repairman, it is a cargo ship...I think X_x I don't pry into my 23 year old brothers job life, only into his game life XD

Anyway, I think 荷船の修理工 would better fit the description of my brother. Or rather, he was a Jack-of-all-Trades-Barge-Repairman x.x I did things like clean the sides of the barge, mopping, welding the sides of the barge, loading/unloading cargo, etc.

Thank you all for replying! As my predictions were, she did assign that introduction and then we will have an oral practice on..Friday or so. We already have our Foreign Exchange Student. He's in highschool, but oh my GOD! He looks like he's in college! Tall... ._. kowaii! He's timid though. I couldn't hear him say his name, age, and birthday when the entire room was silent. Something...Abe.