PDA

View Full Version : If somebody saw you...

MissAstaire
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Would they be able to tell if you were an anime/manga fan/nerd by your outward appearance and how you acted? Why? I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently and was just curious. Like, with me, I dont think people would be able to tell unless they got to know me really well. I sometimes dress like a preppy person, I'm actually quite good at guitar hero, I give off a 'back off' vibe more times than not. So I guess judging on outward appearances, would you look like someone who enjoys things like AF?

Sorry if what I say is a little confusing. I'm not that great at starting my own threads and not rambling...

And sorry if this thread has already been made. I did a search and there was alot of results, but I knew that alot of them weren't asking this. If there is a thread already, I won't get upset if it gets closed. I understand.

███
07-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Well I have black hair. Does that help?

Wio
07-29-2008, 09:26 AM
By looking at me, a person couldn't really tell much of anything about me.

Music Fiend
07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
not in the least. o.O

not to say that i am a complete rarity amongst my race for liking some anime/manga, rpgs, a site like AF, or doing super-nerdy crap in cyberspace, but it's not exactly commonplace. just like when people like at me slackjaw'ed when i tell them i love rock music, and that r&b and hip-hop arent my thing.

i look like...well, i typically wear my sunshades, a polo/button down shirt, and jeans. i don't have any fan shirts, nor do i have a pimply face with a lot of fat jiggling about. xD so, if you want to be really stereotypical about it, i guess you wouldn't remotely be able to tell, right off the bat, based on my looks.

i look more likely to punch you in the face or start freestyling randomly.

sa5m
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Hmmm I don't think so. No one would be able to tell, unless they started talking to me. LOL.

SSDynamite
07-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Unless I'm wearing my Azumanga Daioh t-shirt or standing by the manga in a book shop then no you probably can't tell.
However, everyone in my classes at school knows I like:
1. Blink 182
2. Anime
3. Star Wars
But that's only after knowing me for a while. (I also squealed when my RE teacher played us a clip from A New Hope in class... kind of a give away.)

cough_cough2
07-29-2008, 09:37 AM
well, i read manga in public places a lot..
but the way i act?
im kinda anime-ish...
but i dont let much about myself out, i generally dont show much expression to anyone who's not friend/family

Kawairashii hikari
07-29-2008, 09:40 AM
No... they wouldn't be able to tell. There's not much you can figure out about me just from looking at me. They wouldn't be able to tell from who I hang out with... which are people who are known or popular peoples. I'm like a crazy, sarcastic, make-fun-of-people, smart, nice/meanish type of girl. They only see that stuff.
They would only see it if i were to draw sometimes i drew anime like last year around people i was comfortable with and already knew i liked that stuff since seventh.

So no, nobody would be able or is able to tell.

Jose
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
When I tell people that I like anime, and the Japanese culture they don't believe me. Most people write me off as trying to be scene as some kids like anime, but it's true most people think I lie.

But what they don't know it get on AF almost everyday =D

Amray The II
07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Depends if I am wearing my Rei Ayanami T-shirt or not. Other than that I walk around with low jeans, long hair but usually with a hat over it, random shirts (sometimes pink), and earphones. So I don't know, probably not. The shoulder-length hair might be a sign but I doubt it, many people have long hair these days.

-Kitsune-
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I doubt it, I probably just look rather normal unless I'm carrying a manga or wearing an anime shirt o_O The black-framed glasses might be a hint that I'm a bit of a nerd but I doubt it would give away that I'm an anime fan. In fact, not many people in my school know I like anime (Other than friends) and the ones that do only get the hint from the people I hang around with.

Diocletian
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm on here probably more than all the mods together so...
You can't tell that I'm a Anime Fan from the outside.
I llok more like a guy who sells oranges.,and other vitamin packed fruits/low-brow gang banger.

Happi Giraffe!
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Maybe a little. I really don't know. I carry around lots of manga and stuff when I get the chance, so sometimes people can tell that I like it. Sometimes, I wear a Chococat shirt with kanji on the back, so people might know.

Mayonnaise-Senpai
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
By just looking at me... no. :closedeye I wear many different types of clothes. I'm a cheerleader so they would most likely think I wouldn't be interested but if we sat down and got to know each other than they would be like, "Wow. I had no idea." Like the famous saying, 'You can't judge a book by its cover.'

_Freddie_
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I wear plain clothes, I don't even wear plaid or stripes, all my shirts are one color, all my jeans are loose fitting, but not baggy. I have one pair of black jeans and one pair of white jeans. I have no piercings or physical alterations, no glasses.

I am un-unique in every way.

The only symbol I ever wear is Aquarius, my Zodiac.

xox.aisubeki.xox
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
well if you were to look at me u prob wouldnt be able to tell c[:.
well... maybe. i have neon pink hair in the front ( and i have had many other unatural color ). people usually call me goth and emo. but i always have atleast one manga or vampire book with me at all times c[:. the way i dress is a lot like misa misa from death note. and i spend much of my time on the computer, at the library or a book store. im a gothic-geek i guess c[:

Dxon
07-29-2008, 01:16 PM
By just looking at me people can't tell a thing. But because of I'm blond and have blue eyes they would think I'm nicer without knowing me than someone with black hair and brown eyes without knowing him/her. (Proven by Science. Don't ask.)

I don't openly speak of it because it still isn't really a good thing to be proud of.
More and more people in my class started admitting they like anime, but before that it was not-done and only a few spoke of it openly. (Changes peoples? :) )

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-29-2008, 01:16 PM
They would hardly be able to tell I'm a Nerd, much less an ex-beawoo.

Perpetual Specter
07-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I wear plain clothes, I don't even wear plaid or stripes, all my shirts are one color, all my jeans are loose fitting, but not baggy. I have one pair of black jeans and one pair of white jeans. I have no piercings or physical alterations, no glasses.

I am un-unique in every way.

The only symbol I ever wear is Aquarius, my Zodiac.

You sound almost exactly like myself. I don't dress preppy, goth, sporty, etc. All I wear normally is just a solid-colored, long-sleeved(I dislike short-sleeved) shirt with jeans which fit well. My shoes are usually plain and chosen for comfort. I too have no piercings, tattoos, etc. Although I do have glasses(I'm nearsighted), I only wear them when I really must. I think you'd have to actually know me personally to tell that if I was an anime fan.

NinnaMoon
07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
No. My appearance shocks most people when I tell them that I'm a fan of anime and video games. They're even more shocked after I kiss their butts in a video game!! ^^

Most of my class mates didn't find out that I liked anime and video games and that I can drawl too until my senior year in high school. hehe Yeah! I'm quite the shocker. hehe

44NekoStarr66
07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
they would run away. point blank.

Inferno Alchemist
07-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Probably not, most people here don't even know what Anime is.

Dogmat
07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Probably not. Instead people always think I play football because I have the physique of a football player. Tall and broad shouldered.

law~
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
No way X3
I am weird I guess, but my appearance is always just ... normal... so, no no.
I dont think so!!!

Probably not, most people here don't even know what Anime is.

here is the same XD lol
I could even wear shirt with a logo that say *Anime Lover* and ppl would never guess

Mmmmmmmmmm
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm casual, I REFUSE to wear anything my mom buys me in style. But I wear jeans/swimming trunks everywhere. and whatever shirt I want to.

Acnologia
07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
No, I'm just your average person, the subject of anime isn't even brought up in conversations so I don't talk about it either.

Eris
07-29-2008, 05:58 PM
They could probably tell I was a geek, since I regularly sport XKCD T-shirts which is a dead give-away. But since I'm not really into the whole japan thing, they'd be mistaken if they took me for an anime/manga-fan.

october breath
07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Possibly. I'm very asian. =]
But most of the time I don't think people think I am since I'm very social.
I dress punk-ish/preppy-ish/emo-ish/skater-ish/formal-ish
Hard to pin point a person who doesn't stay one thing.
People usually target the emo and punky types as people who like anime.

niKopol
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Probably not in the least. Unless I still had my GunGrave hat which was awesome and I should buy it again. Or if you searched my room or my computer. You'd find pokemon cards, anime related games and 50 gigs of Sailor Moon and Trigun. Or if you search my trunk of old school stuff you might just find one of my D&D character sheets.

Marshmallow Fluff
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Probably not, unless I wear my Fruits Basket shirt.

Though I wear glasses and sometimes I read manga in class, but nobody notices.

hirokiaibalovex3
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
The might be able to tell that I like anime. All of my good friends know that I'm into anime, and they don't find it surprising. I'm asian, but I don't think I dress like an anime fan.

drm0ney
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
>.< yeah you could probably tell. If the hellsing bag isn't a give away(i use it as my purse!) there's almost always a manga in my hands.
I like to think i dress rather normal but I almost always have some sort of give away that I'm an anime nerd.

daft
07-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Nope. Thanks to my facial hair and very old clothing, I look too much like an adult, hobo, or Peruvian terrorist for anyone to even consider the possibility of me liking anime.

queenelfaria2
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Nope. I told someone that I love to watch anime. He said I didn't look like I did. I'm still trying to figure out what anime fan usually looks like.

Haoie
07-30-2008, 03:20 AM
How much can you tell by a single glance?

Next to nothing.

wolfgirl90
07-30-2008, 04:04 AM
If somebody saw me, they could easily tell that I am an anime fan or at least not normal. I am always wearing something anime related, from an anime t-shirt to my Naruto headband and gloves to my InuYasha necklace and hat.