PDA

View Full Version : Blacks and Public Schooling

Mavericker
07-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I was watching a documentary about a historically black high school in Maryland. It was a disgrace-most of the kids weren't doing well at all-they barely got by and their parents couldn't be so borrowed to attend PTA meetings.

What the heck is wrong with the kids? WHy aren't they getting motivated to do well? What is wrong with the parents and the teachers?

At least there was one graduating class in that program and a number of them went on to college-it was the largest graduating class that school had in years but that's still a sad commentary.

They graduated but they barely passed? How can they go to school for 4 years and hardly learn anything? How is this "getting by" attitude going to help these kids in the real world.

Firstly, no one mentioned anything about God.
Secondly, IMO I think black-only schooling is a bad idea-it supports isolationism and that's not the real world.

I can't say these kids have a slave mentality-it's partly the parents' fault because no one was there to get on these kids.

It's a disgrace to black Americans.

I saw another program about another high school in which the black kids weren't doing well either-what's their excuse? It wasn't segregated and it's not like they were being oppressed by anyone and they weren't getting the help and resources they needed.

Where are these kids getting this slave mentality from?

Lavos
07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Did the major attend this high school? Was there pants involved?

Mavericker
07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Did the major attend this high school? Was there pants involved?

This is a discussion about BLACK CULTURE. Do you have something you want to contribute to this discussion?

Lavos
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
This is a discussion about BLACK CULTURE. Do you have something you want to contribute to this discussion?

Yeah, how come you only talk about African people and GITS:SAC? Oh, and religion?

drm0ney
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
I was watching a documentary about a historically black high school in Maryland. It was a disgrace-most of the kids weren't doing well at all-they barely got by and their parents couldn't be so borrowed to attend PTA meetings.

What the heck is wrong with the kids? WHy aren't they getting motivated to do well? What is wrong with the parents and the teachers?

Just because YOU have good schooling and teachers that care and a state/ county/ school distric that has money doesn't mean everyone does. Not everyone has it easy. Some people have to go to run down schools with poorly taken care of equipment. Think about it, if your school isn't good why would you be interested in trying your best?

Chewbaka
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Mavericker: Doing racism and religion wrong since 1970.

Taikyo
07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
ok....I think this thread should be closed down. Racist threads aren't allowed, if you read the rules.
Not everyone can do well in school for many reasons, even personal reasons. Not everyone was born a genius or damn rich to pay off their grades. It isn't a matter of ethnic background, or who their parents are. D:
You shouldn't be pinning down only African American people, everyone is smart, and everyone has troubles when it comes to school.
You should change the title of this thread, because its quite offensive. D<

Divinity
07-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I am black, and I'm not the least bit interested in defending kids who do not put forth effort in school, be they black, white, or mixed. There's a lot of reasons kids can "choose" to do bad, but I think it's just that--a choice, because somewhere inside of everyone should be an instict to succeed. They're ignoring that instinct.

I'm in all honors and AP classes, as well as many of my black friends in my area, so it's not really a "black thing." It's definitly an environment thing--if the school is poor, the parents are poor (and especially if they didn't get an education themselves) those kids are looking towards the wrong things to "get by." I'm motivated because my parents keep me in line, keep me involved, and stay involved themselves. My parents set good examples for me: they went to college and got well paying jobs. I pick the right friends to enjoy leisure time with.

I'm a good student because I have people around me day and night telling me that I am worthy, and that I have everything it takes for a person to do what needs to be done; and then some.

Obviously, those kids do not. I can only imagine what kind of teachers are in a 'poor public school,' and how much they actually care about those kids. I can imagine how many of them give up when they can't grab the class's attention in the first five minutes. If the adults don't care, how can they?

Like I said, I'm not going to defend anybody who fails basic math, but if that's what they grow up around that's most likely where they plan to stay the rest of their lives. I grew up in a middle class area, so, being raised around motivated people, have become motivated myself. They don't have that luxury.

And don't call it "black culture." That's an insult to black people. We do value education, but only those of us who've been taught to. Failing on purpose is not a "black thing," it's a kid-who-doesn't-know-any-better-and-doesn't-want-to-know-any-better thing; and trust me, they come in all shades, including yours, sir.

44NekoStarr66
07-27-2008, 10:04 PM
hm. have you ever thought that the reason they aren't motivated is because they just dont want to? or no one expects them to be anything so they become lazy. that not only happens with black people btw.

Music Fiend
07-27-2008, 10:19 PM
ah, mavericker. what's left to be said about you?

but, in most cases with these black children..hell, alot of kids in general who are poor... they lack motivation, support at home, encouragement for extra curricular activities, patience, and guidance.

i'll speak from experience for a bit, as opposed to ranting.

my mother has never made more than 13k in any year, of her entire life. and she had 3 kids, with our father leaving 3 years into my life. and then coming back to drag my brother into drug dealing.

certainly, with those stereotypes stacked up against me, i can understand, to a degree, why some would have expected me to give up, blame "the white man", or just have fallen into a life of crime too.

but no. i just worked hard. paid attention. learned. i went to school with white kids who made 6 times as much as my mom. made friends with them. ended up outdoing some of them academically. and thats not because of pity, affirmative action, or anything of the likes. i refused to have resentment for another race like my mom. if i didn't make good grades, i knew that the fault was mine to bear, in majority, always.

i made A B honor roll on through highschool and made top 20 percent with a gpa above 3.0. i didnt even try my hardest at the end.

why was this the case? because i didnt complain. i couldnt afford the coolest back pack, and i had to have free lunches, but everyone had the same academic playing field..the same chance. i seized mine. and now i am looking to become an engineer.

so that documentary means nothing to me'. i know there are some bad public schools in particular neighborhoods, but from experience i know that the black kids that fail tend to be the ones who either have themselves, their company, their parent(s), or each to blame.

i improved myself, hung with the right crowd, and took my own path. i think i turned out all right. i know a story like mine doesnt turn successful like this very often, tho; that doesnt mean its impossible.

Mavericker
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
It isn't a racist thread- the black kids should take advantage of the same opportunities that other students have and they aren't.

I'm black-when I was in school, I chose to excel at school, and I'm glad my parents stayed on me. People tried to put me down-both white and black-but I didn't let that get to me.

_Freddie_
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd like to attend an all black school, and if they deny me, I'll start an all white school, except I won't call it an all white school, I'll just charge a large admission fee.

That said, I am not a racist. However, as an unbiased observer, I can say this confidently;

Blacks can be as racist as Hitler and get away with it, and whites cannot so much as treat black people equally without conditions that may imply some sort of racism.

Example, hear about that kid who was decapitated in Florida after jumping a fence at a fair?

On another forum, I made a topic about it, and called him stupid, because he was, and guess what? The black people on that forum thought I was racist, I mean, seriously. They're stupid too, I didn't even know he was black until they enlightened me.

Sorry I got off topic and ranted, anyways Mavericker, these kids get this "slave mentality" from a lot of sources, but in the end they're just like any other person who has a bad case of "feeling sorry for themselves". They are only a disgrace to themselves, they do not represent the Black Americans, they represent stupid people.

XdreamzX
07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey I'm Black too ----where have i seen this before hmmmmm.... oh yea they PBS did a documentary on my school about this....SOuthSide,Richmond,VA

Search "PBS Documentary on Boushall Middle" on GOOGLE

They Filmed This When i was in 6th grade......hArsh times....i lived with my "parents" then---WELL thts another story...for now..

But anyway sometimes its not allways a choice to be "good" or "Bad" saying from exp.

Hell i went to the worst middle school in Richmond, maybe even VA
I was also about to go to the worst High School in Richmond...George Wythe, but since my aunt came and saved me from all tht i think i'm gonna be kool

^^^^this was a longer message than intended

Mavericker
07-28-2008, 01:11 AM
I'd like to attend an all black school, and if they deny me, I'll start an all white school, except I won't call it an all white school, I'll just charge a large admission fee.

That said, I am not a racist. However, as an unbiased observer, I can say this confidently;

Blacks can be as racist as Hitler and get away with it, and whites cannot so much as treat black people equally without conditions that may imply some sort of racism.

Example, hear about that kid who was decapitated in Florida after jumping a fence at a fair?

On another forum, I made a topic about it, and called him stupid, because he was, and guess what? The black people on that forum thought I was racist, I mean, seriously. They're stupid too, I didn't even know he was black until they enlightened me.

Sorry I got off topic and ranted, anyways Mavericker, these kids get this "slave mentality" from a lot of sources, but in the end they're just like any other person who has a bad case of "feeling sorry for themselves". They are only a disgrace to themselves, they do not represent the Black Americans, they represent stupid people.

Did you hear abou thte little black Florida girl who was taking into police custody and put under police supervision after throwing desks at teachers at a local elementary school? They should have taken her to a psychiatirc center and given her medication to calm her down, but she was black so they didn't care. I asked any black person about this-they agreed and said it was racism. The whites I asked didn't agree with me-I'm not surprised. :mad:

Anyway, with all these negative reports about black kids and the school system-what kind of reflection is that on the African-American community?
The teachers are to blame too-because most of them at that school I was talking about weren't certified, and most pf the parents DIDN't attnd any PTA meetings.

The reason all these negative reports about black Americans seem staggering is because blacks make up 13% of the US population.

~*Red*~
07-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Maybe those kids struggle in school.

Hell, I struggle in high school sometimes when the work gets too much.

ChibiVampKarin
07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
There's more to the story obviously. Students weren't placed there for "isolationism", they were placed there by how the district made their ISD boundaries.

It's not just black kids that should be looked on as a group who have issues with education, it's actually a lot of other people too that need better morale. o_O One documentary clearly doesn't describe the failure of the education system through black students --- do more research before you complain about it.

Divinity
07-28-2008, 01:27 AM

....but in the end they're just like any other person who has a bad case of "feeling sorry for themselves". They are only a disgrace to themselves, they do not represent the Black Americans, they represent stupid people.

Complaining about the fact that "whites cannot so much as treat black people equally without conditions that may imply some sort of racism" is pointless, because it doesn't stop racism from existing. Whether or not it's socially acceptable does not stop the worst of people from going on their computers and posting on racial hatred forums, making websites, joining clans that stand for all things wrong and making harsh decisions to end other people's lives or careers based on their own personal prejudices (thank God "They are only a disgrace to themselves, they do not represent the [White] Americans, they represent stupid people"). The fact that you could get in trouble for saying the N word in public does not keep you from saying it at home, obviously, so let go of that "slave [of political correctness]/the man" feeling, like kids in that all-black school supposedly need to do. Everyone has a standard to live up to, but many still fall very, very short. I don't. I don't say offensive things to anyone unless they're close friends and they can catch my joke (and we're both comfortable making those jokes). It's not like that with everybody, but as long as I'm not tainting my own name, I'm fine.

_Freddie_
07-28-2008, 02:13 AM
I live in Alabama, I am well aware racism still exists, but what I mean when I say "whites cannot so much as treat black people equally without conditions that may imply some sort of racism" is that we actually have to go beyond the call of duty to not seem racist, at least in my opinion, which is flexible if you think contrary.

Divinity
07-28-2008, 02:22 AM
I live in Alabama, I am well aware racism still exists, but what I mean when I say "whites cannot so much as treat black people equally without conditions that may imply some sort of racism" is that we actually have to go beyond the call of duty to not seem racist, at least in my opinion, which is flexible if you think contrary.

You'd have to go beyond the call of duty because your brothers and sisters (not literally) are proving everyone's worst ideas about racists right. You have to go beyond the call of duty because some people make it so easy for everyone to point a finger at you and say, "Inherent racist." On the flip side of the coin, some blacks have to go out of their way to prove that they are not ghetto theives and gangbangers, kill-whities, or failing 3rd grade like some of their brothers and sisters--That they are harmless, too, in a place where the poster image of a black person is 50cent with a gun. We don't want that. And some of us go out of our way to prove that. Kind of how you don't want to be seen as racist, am I right? Common struggle. Everybody has to defend themselves from what everybody else thinks of them. Otherwise, it would put a lot of people out of jobs.

America is not nice, but it's still one of the best, IMO. =]

Howling Star
07-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Maverick your a bit looking like a clown. I thought you where christian. I'm sure somewhere stands. Respect others well with racism you do not get that. I mean come on. Thanks to you the whole word thinks. That people who believe in god are like stupid. Just because of you! Come on how old are you ? Don't make so many topics. Stop this religion. And not being motivated on school is part of society. This is a world of papers. Yet kids do not know what they want with they're future. So they just do some and make fun now. Cause they do not know what await them later.

PS if I die I ask god to alter the bible. And make a one post per week rule! =p

Ps it's not only black people. I also lost motivation. But now I just do my best and work hard for it. But you first gotta see a bit where it is for. =x

XdreamzX
07-28-2008, 02:52 AM
haha wth is a PTA? my mom never went to tht ish......refering to the N word-= yes you are potiencially(spelled wrng) right...i'm not too bothered by a white guy saying it on the internet because he is safe there.....but if a white person ever said tht near me or even in my presence--i might have to go to juvi for a while

edit: Mavrik - either shut up or just don't tlk (yes double negitive)

Chewbaka
07-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Did you hear abou thte little black Florida girl who was taking into police custody and put under police supervision after throwing desks at teachers at a local elementary school?
Was that you who did that? Did you not get your cookie or something, so you threw a tempertantrum? That's a bad Mavericker. Go to timeout! No coloring for 30 minutes mister!

Tsuna Kadiri
07-28-2008, 07:23 AM
The fact that they're black doesn't really matter. The fact that these students aren't doing well is more a matter of the environment they're in. Where they live, what their family life is like, income, motivation, ect. I live about an hour and a half away from Cleveland, Ohio, which is well known for its poor public school systems as well as their large black population (Akron, Ohio is similar but not as severe). People automatically want to assume it's just the black students who aren't putting forth the effort, but there are kids of all races and ethnicities who are in the same position, doing the same exact thing.

And the whole "blame it on the white man" mentality is ridiculous. Even the white kids want to blame it on the white man. As far as I know, there's no uppity white person walking around these poor areas for the sole purpose of going up to students saying, "Hey, inner city kid! DROP OUT OF SCHOOL, NOW!"

The choice to do well in school and take education seriously is entirely up to the student. There may be outside influences, but the final decision is up to the individual.

honeysenpai17
07-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Violence isn't the answer

Howling Star
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Was that you who did that? Did you not get your cookie or something, so you threw a tempertantrum? That's a bad Mavericker. Go to timeout! No coloring for 30 minutes mister!

Lol you really like Maverick right ! =p
*cough* since your so close to him*cough*
Do you know how many money people did spend on his title changes ? xD

And well yeah I once had this situation we had to move tables. And one guy kept sitting in the way. And after a few minutes. He still sat there. I took a table scared him. He got like all mad and attacked me in a panick attack. I just putted him on hold. =p that's all usefull I gotta say.

Kawairashii hikari
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
From how you're saying this... it almost sounds as if the school could be my school that you speak of...

(I live in maryland and i'm black... >.>)

And if this is my school that you speak of or not, I have something to say.
"What the heck is wrong with these kids?"

How about they're not getting the needed support they are supposed to be getting from their parents? Ever thought about that? And so if their is no support for the child and the child already doesn't care, then they will start to do anything and everything.

"Why aren't they motivated to do well?"

Well most likely because of the people and neighborhood they hang around. The people that most kids like that.... (i know some...) hang around are the worst neighborhoods... people feeding you the negative stuff. Talking bout "Hanigin round the block better than goin to stupid school... you goin to actually try and get a education? Education for suckers.... you can just hang with us son."

I've heard it sooo many times.

"What is wrong with the parents and teachers?"

The parents might be going through a rough time or something. Teachers might be helping but it it's UP TO THE CHILD whether he/she wants to learn or not.

And why did you say nobody mentioned anything about God?? I mean i love God and everything. But people don't always have to mention him... don't you get that? Well obviously not...

I mean I get honor roll every four quarters because I know it's what is expected of me in my house. My school is a very big school... 90% of black, 5% white, 5% other races... and most of those black kids, including my friends have lower GPA's than me. Not saying that they don't try. Sometimes they do try... but other times they don't because it's not 'expected' for them to get honor roll in their houses. Which is a sad thing... because I know people and they could do so much better than what they do but aren't going to because they're not being pushed hard enough by whoever needs to push them. Whether it be mother, father, grandmother....

And it freakin disgusts me when 30 year guys who still live with their freakin mother and drink and smoke all day try to get young kids that are tryna make something with their life get discouraged and run away from school, unlike what they did stay home. Or anybody for that matter. I mean, what did our people back in the day fight for then if we not gonna get what they made possible for us to have?

My rant is over... sorry for the long reply but he got me a little mad. ^^

Sanosuke23
07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Let it be known, this is the thread in which Mavericker lets slip he's really a sleeper agent for Stormfront.

It's not a "black" thing. If anything, it's an "urban" thing. The mentality is you're going to strike it big in sports or the entertainment industry, so school takes a backseat. Several kids in my HS dropped out because they were making several thousand dollars tax-free a week dealing. Why get a diploma when you can live in rent-controlled public housing and own a home at the same time?

Then of course you have the kids that just, instead of working at it even if it isn't much work, they just say "eff school, it's too hard I give up" and show up solely to talk to friends. There's several reasons for this, some justified if misguided(depression, conflict at home) and some that aren't(overall poor work ethic, lack of discipline). Regardless of the reason, the end result is the same. It's sad, but nobody will ever be able to address them all.

Before anyone asks, I went to school in Spanish Harlem. The student body was mainly black and hispanic. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was the only white kid there.

Amray The II
07-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Maverick your a bit looking like a clown.

These people are catching on to you Mavericker.

My rant is over... sorry for the long reply but he got me a little mad. ^^

Yep, that's our Mavericker. It's what he is here to do, madam.

Seriously though, the colour of ones skin is nothing to do with how well one works in school and does not affect the outcome of them or their grades whatsoever. If anything it is how the individual was raised and the environment in which they have grown up in. Even that is sometimes not even the case. This apply's to both black and white people. Saying things such as "Black-only schooling is a bad idea" is baseless and pathetic. I have some close black friends, raised in the same atmosphere and attended the same school as I, their grades were amazing. In fact they were better than mine! Yes, there were some black people in other years that were idiots..but there were just as many white idiots in them classes too.

Black-only schooling, white-only schooling, it matters not how you look at them they are still the same. It is all up to the individual if they choose to learn or mis-behave, and only up to them. Black, white, green, spiniard, asian, jew, sadist, martian ..it does not matter, it is only up to them how they act.

What you stated was wrong and had little logic. You said that some passed, well there you have it! They can do it if they want to, it is just up to them if they want to pull their fingers out their backsides and learn. But saying that all black students are disaster children that cannot learn in a school when put together is just stupid and somewhat racist.

My point: Their colour has 'nothing' to do with their learning!

Diocletian
07-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not racist.I'm just basing stuff on demographics.My small city has had 18 murders already.I blame it on the East Side.

Slave Mentality?They don't have slave mentalities.They can succeed in many fields.I hate to sound like one of those guys who thinks Blacks are good at sports,but they are.How is that a bad thing?Generalization,yes,but awesome,yes.

Divinity
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Let it be known, this is the thread in which Mavericker lets slip he's really a sleeper agent for Stormfront.

It's not a "black" thing. If anything, it's an "urban" thing. The mentality is you're going to strike it big in sports or the entertainment industry, so school takes a backseat. Several kids in my HS dropped out because they were making several thousand dollars tax-free a week dealing. Why get a diploma when you can live in rent-controlled public housing and own a home at the same time?

Then of course you have the kids that just, instead of working at it even if it isn't much work, they just say "eff school, it's too hard I give up" and show up solely to talk to friends. There's several reasons for this, some justified if misguided(depression, conflict at home) and some that aren't(overall poor work ethic, lack of discipline). Regardless of the reason, the end result is the same. It's sad, but nobody will ever be able to address them all.

Before anyone asks, I went to school in Spanish Harlem. The student body was mainly black and hispanic. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was the only white kid there.

Haha, I figured out his disguise in the first five minutes.

It's true that most disillusioned kids think they can have an "easy way out" by selling illegal products to make 10 times as much as they would be making taking a normal, minimum-wage "teen job," or becoming the "next big rapper" (I'm not gonna lie, one time I was out to be the next big Beyonce, but it just didn't work out ;/). It's sad, because that's really what the outside cheerleaders (media, music<--which is one of the most powerful) pushes them to be, by harping on those examples instead of other good "urban" accomplishments they could follow in the steps of. But the bad image sells, and people buy it...

Ten points for Sanosuke.

Inferno Alchemist
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Whats being black got to do with their poor grades? Anyone can get poor grades.

Mayonnaise-Senpai
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I know what you're getting at. Blacks kids are usually the ones in my school always not really doing so well in school. I'm Black and I do just fine in school. I get A's and B's every school year. That's Honor Roll material. Even though I don't get striaght A's so I can be on High Honors, I still do very well. I see Black kids in my school always slacking off and always thinking school is like a prison to them, so they goof off and ruin it for the rest of us.
I'm not sure where they get this 'slave mentallity' from but it's obviously shows that they don't want to be in school.

Amray The II
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Some white people are bad in school, some black people are bad in school. Colour takes no toll in this. Just like some boys are good at playing games, and some girls are good at playing games. It's all to do with individual personality and experience.

I even met a black person on Xbox Live that was good at games too. He was awesome at Halo 3 and kept saying "Let me show you that I am a N----r. "I'll show you that I'm a N----r..". He proved his point, and he was a great player. Lucky he was on my team.

Perpetual Specter
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Although it's been stated, I have to agree. Some kids aren't encouraged enough by others to do their best, some have financial issues, some have family problems, and some are just that way by choice for whatever reason. It doesn't apply to any certain race, gender, or religion. I know plenty of black(and all other races) kids who perform just outstanding academically here. The point, Mavericker, is that in the end, it's the choice of each individual person whether to succeed or not, even if it may be influenced by other people or events. I must admit I blame media icons for these kind of things occasionally though--no offense to anyone.

Eris
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Whats being black got to do with their poor grades? Anyone can get poor grades.

It has largely to do with wealth and expectation. Poor people do worse in society in general. There's more black people in prison than white people. That doesn't mean that black people are more likely to become criminals because they're black, it means that black people are more likely to become criminals because they are generally less wealthy. This is an issue with society, not with race.

I also mentioned expectations: If you don't expect to succeed (because your parent's didn't succeed and/or your friends don't succeed), then you're not even going to try. This applies both to students and teachers.

Mavericker
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
It has largely to do with wealth and expectation. Poor people do worse in society in general. There's more black people in prison than white people. That doesn't mean that black people are more likely to become criminals because they're black, it means that black people are more likely to become criminals because they are generally less wealthy. This is an issue with society, not with race.

I also mentioned expectations: If you don't expect to succeed (because your parent's didn't succeed and/or your friends don't succeed), then you're not even going to try. This applies both to students and teachers.

More blacks in jail than whites? No it just seems that way-the media blows things out of proportion.

Also, the mentality of the students has to change-they have this "no-nothing" mentally and they get in from thier parents-if the parents aren't around to support them, what are the kids going to do?

They ought to open up more big brother/big sister programs in these areas to help these kids.

XdreamzX
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
More blacks in jail than whites? No it just seems that way-the media blows things out of proportion.

Also, the mentality of the students has to change-they have this "no-nothing" mentally and they get in from thier parents-if the parents aren't around to support them, what are the kids going to do?

They ought to open up more big brother/big sister programs in these areas to help these kids.
Maverick you are again wrong.....yes i am black and i know tht yea more blacks ARE in jail than white people beacause most of them were trying to provide food, clothes, and shelter for them and their families but ended up getting caught up in "The Game"

Mavericker
07-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Maverick you are again wrong.....yes i am black and i know tht yea more blacks ARE in jail than white people beacause most of them were trying to provide food, clothes, and shelter for them and their families but ended up getting caught up in "The Game"

You got stats to back that up?

XdreamzX
07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
what i need stats fo? and what point am i proving? just sthu

Eris
07-28-2008, 06:51 PM

First, keep in mind that the black demographic is roughly 12% in the US. Then you'd expect 12% of the inmates to be black, right? No, it's 16%. That's a 30% over-representation. Even more disturbingly, 32% of all black men will at least once spend time in prison during their lifetime, while only 6% of all white men will ever spend time in prison.

Source: U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics (http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm).

Wio
07-28-2008, 07:04 PM
What's wrong with the ghetto community? Too many fathers bail out.
It's really that simple.

The father is a very important part of the family, a father shows his son what it means to be a real man: to have a job, to take care of his wife and children, and to be a good citizen.
When a child doesn't have a father as a role model, they often join gangs and become drug dealers. Of course that's after knocking up a few girls (making more fatherless homes) and dropping out of school.

Don't give me any bullshit about "exceptions" because I know there are some, I'm obviously speaking generally. The "black" schools suck because few value education--because it's not needed to sell drugs. Why sell drugs? Because they can make lots of money. They don't care about having a legitimate job because they don't have a legitimate father.

Sanosuke23
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
These are strange days indeed when I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with Wio.

Well, the legitimate job -> legitimate father sounds like a bit of an overreach, but I can see how that can be argued.

Lavos
07-29-2008, 01:10 AM
I think the biggest problems with these kids is that they lack God in their lives. They also lack a lot of GITS:SAC and pants. If these kids could only be forced to wear pants, forced to accept God (or Satan, cause lets be fair) and forced them to what everything GITS (from the majors tacky leotard to her skin tight body suit) then they too may have the capability to come rant on AF about... er I mean get through school. These kids just need to start putting pants on one leg at a time.

wolfgirl90
07-29-2008, 05:08 AM
I just saw that PBS documentary on Boushall Middle School. Wow...that brought back a lot of memories of my time in middle school. I did not attend Boushall Middle. I attended another school in Richmond, Va called Thompson Middle School. And almost everyone in Richmond will tell you that Thompson, like Boushall, had the worst reputation in the city. There were fights every day, a constant police presence in the school (we did not have metal detectors but they did use wands on us) and everyday there was some kind of disturbance in the hallway, a classroom, the cafeteria, ANYWHERE!!!. Some students even did drugs in the bathroom (now I know what marijuana smells like:closedeye). Despite of of this, I focused on my studies and I was constantly on the honor/scholar roll. In the eighth grade, I actually did everything that I can could to avoid attending my zone high schools, Huguenot High and George Wythe High School, which did have very good reputations either. I applied for and was accepted into an alternative, college prep high school where I stayed for two years before moving to the suburbs. However, my new school, Meadowbrook High, was still mostly black (actually, Hispanics made up the majority) , as parents moved to this neighborhood to send their kids to the good county school while still being close to the city. Despite being in a county school, the behavior of the students did not change and my school had the reputation of being "bad" (my school was the only high school in the county where minorities were the majority).

My point? I have lived in the city for most of my life and have seen the behavior that some would find "typical" in an urban school. However, I also went to a suburban school and saw the same behavior, albeit a little more controlled and managed than in the city. I have seen all races of students act out of control in a classroom, not just black students, even at schools where blacks were the majority. At the same time, I have seen students who have gotten straight A's and entered the International Baccalaureate Program and they were not all white. The salutatorian of my graduating class was black and she was actually the loudest and most talkative person I have ever met!!

What I have noticed is that if a student is in middle school and/or high school, they have proven that they care about their education, even if its only a little bit (they would not have made it of they really didn't care:rolleyes:). However, there are other factors that come into play that cause them to care about something else, something more important. Things like money, a divorce in the family, someone being sick, someone dying, and being in a gang are a just few things I have heard from students that I have mentored and tutored that they believe are either much more important than their studies or they believe that no one else cares about their situation, leading them to not care about what teachers have to say. Most of them say that if they were able to get help, they would, which is why I choose to be a mentor to my peers and to younger students.

I am tired of people saying that students failing in school is a part of "black culture" or is a "black thing" (I am black, so I know what I am talking about:mad:). I am tired of people saying that it is merely the student or the teacher that is responsible their behavior, as there are so many more reasons why a student would act up or choose to fail.

So, that's it. I would say more but I am tired now. Just as a note (to a person we all know and love *cough*:p):
As you know, I am black. I graduated with honors from my high school and earned an Advanced Studies Diploma with a Governor's Seal. And I did it all without GITS and being Christian (I am Wiccan:p).

Wio
07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, the legitimate job -> legitimate father sounds like a bit of an overreach, but I can see how that can be argued.
How is it an overreach? Good fathers are responsible, and responsible people tend to earn their bread honestly.

"The Game"? What kind of bull clinton is that? They're in jail because they decided to drop out, join a gang, and sell drugs. They're in jail because they're criminals that hurt society. I've seen successful white people and successful black people. They don't go to jail for trying to support their families, because they do it legally. They don't come up with excuses to do criminal stuff either.

███
07-29-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree with Mavericker.

What would be the point of them going to school anyway? 100 percent of black people go to jail. It's a proven statistic.

Also any black man that you see driving a car is a thief, no black man could ever own his own car.

Eris
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
How is it an overreach? Good fathers are responsible, and responsible people tend to earn their bread honestly.

How so? A thought experiment is in order, what is more responsible: To earn your bread dishonestly, or let your family starve?

Amray The II
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
True, their are more black people in United States jails than their are white people, that is not often because "they are black bro". It's because of the environment in which they were raised in. If a young black youth was to grow up in a "hood" where they were surrounded by drug addicts, drug sellers, shootings, murders, rapes and drive-by's then obviously they will grow up thinking all these events are normal. Just like if a child is not desciplined for their bad doings they often grow up rude, stubborn, and think they can get away with murder. Same story.

I grew up in a quiet area with nice people and none criminal activity and have learnt what is bad and what is not through Television, my parents, and school. Therefore I have grown up avoiding law breaking and abide by the rules. But if I were brought up in a place where anything goes and had reported criminal activity everyday the chances are that I would probably be in jail now with a wife named Brian.

XdreamzX
07-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I just saw that PBS documentary on Boushall Middle School. Wow...that brought back a lot of memories of my time in middle school. I did not attend Boushall Middle. I attended another school in Richmond, Va called Thompson Middle School. And almost everyone in Richmond will tell you that Thompson, like Boushall, had the worst reputation in the city. There were fights every day, a constant police presence in the school (we did not have metal detectors but they did use wands on us) and everyday there was some kind of disturbance in the hallway, a classroom, the cafeteria, ANYWHERE!!!. Some students even did drugs in the bathroom (now I know what marijuana smells like:closedeye). Despite of of this, I focused on my studies and I was constantly on the honor/scholar roll. In the eighth grade, I actually did everything that I can could to avoid attending my zone high schools, Huguenot High and George Wythe High School, which did have very good reputations either. I applied for and was accepted into an alternative, college prep high school where I stayed for two years before moving to the suburbs. However, my new school, Meadowbrook High, was still mostly black (actually, Hispanics made up the majority) , as parents moved to this neighborhood to send their kids to the good county school while still being close to the city. Despite being in a county school, the behavior of the students did not change and my school had the reputation of being "bad" (my school was the only high school in the county where minorities were the majority).

My point? I have lived in the city for most of my life and have seen the behavior that some would find "typical" in an urban school. However, I also went to a suburban school and saw the same behavior, albeit a little more controlled and managed than in the city. I have seen all races of students act out of control in a classroom, not just black students, even at schools where blacks were the majority. At the same time, I have seen students who have gotten straight A's and entered the International Baccalaureate Program and they were not all white. The salutatorian of my graduating class was black and she was actually the loudest and most talkative person I have ever met!!

What I have noticed is that if a student is in middle school and/or high school, they have proven that they care about their education, even if its only a little bit (they would not have made it of they really didn't care:rolleyes:). However, there are other factors that come into play that cause them to care about something else, something more important. Things like money, a divorce in the family, someone being sick, someone dying, and being in a gang are a just few things I have heard from students that I have mentored and tutored that they believe are either much more important than their studies or they believe that no one else cares about their situation, leading them to not care about what teachers have to say. Most of them say that if they were able to get help, they would, which is why I choose to be a mentor to my peers and to younger students.

I am tired of people saying that students failing in school is a part of "black culture" or is a "black thing" (I am black, so I know what I am talking about:mad:). I am tired of people saying that it is merely the student or the teacher that is responsible their behavior, as there are so many more reasons why a student would act up or choose to fail.

So, that's it. I would say more but I am tired now. Just as a note (to a person we all know and love *cough*:p):
As you know, I am black. I graduated with honors from my high school and earned an Advanced Studies Diploma with a Governor's Seal. And I did it all without GITS and being Christian (I am Wiccan:p).
props man......I Went to

Boushall in 6th grade
Boushall and Lucille in 7th
Thompson in 8th(nothing has changed)

i give you rep for going to the same run down school

wolfgirl90
07-30-2008, 03:29 AM
I agree with Mavericker.

What would be the point of them going to school anyway? 100 percent of black people go to jail. It's a proven statistic.

Also any black man that you see driving a car is a thief, no black man could ever own his own car.

Please, PLEASE, tell me that what you said is just some cruel, sick joke that you are trying to tell:mad::mad:!! Because its not funny!! AT ALL!!!

What's the point of sending them to school? So that they will get an education!! Are you trying to say that black people have nothing to look forward to except JAIL?! Are you trying to say that if a student does not behave or do well in a class that they need to be kicked out of school and not receive any help from someone?! And if anyone EVER accused my father of being a thief based solely on the color of his skin, I would drop kick the teeth out of their mouth:mad:!!

Its that kind of horrible mentality that says that some kids deserve an education while others should be kicked out of school when its obvious that they need help that causes those very kids to give up on their education and believe that no one cares about them. This only makes the situation worse!! If you know that someone is misbehaving because of something that is going on at home (since you apparently know that every black person is going to go to jail for some reason), why don't you try and do something about it instead of calmly analyzing the situation from afar?

Its not just an urban thing. The middle school that I went to was mostly black, had kids that fought all the time and a bunch of other things that you could imagine. However, the school was not in the heart of Richmond. It was in the suburbs!! In fact, both Boushall and Thompson, the schools that have the worst reputation in the city, were EXTREMELY close to the county line, less than two blocks or so, but they are still part of the city school system. It was not because these schools were mostly black (I actually hate using the term "black" school, as it perpetuates the notion that one cannot get a good education from a historically black school). It was because some of the students acted bad and this was all everyone heard about (or chose to hear about) the school while at the same time, did not do a damn thing to help change the schools and the life of the students. The schools have actually calmed down significantly but this took many years to do. My middle school was unaccredited for many years and it did not become accredited until the year my class left for high school (2004). It has been accredited ever since.

The kids have something else going that causes them to act that way. Again, if they really, really did not care about their education, they would not have made to middle school and high school (the standardized tests would have made sure to that). There is always something deeper going on in a students mind that causes them to act that way. Its not nearly as simple as you may think.

XdreamzX
07-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Please, PLEASE, tell me that what you said is just some cruel, sick joke that you are trying to tell:mad::mad:!! Because its not funny!! AT ALL!!!

What's the point of sending them to school? So that they will get an education!! Are you trying to say that black people have nothing to look forward to except JAIL?! Are you trying to say that if a student does not behave or do well in a class that they need to be kicked out of school and not receive any help from someone?! And if anyone EVER accused my father of being a thief based solely on the color of his skin, I would drop kick the teeth out of their mouth:mad:!!

Its that kind of horrible mentality that says that some kids deserve an education while others should be kicked out of school when its obvious that they need help that causes those very kids to give up on their education and believe that no one cares about them. This only makes the situation worse!! If you know that someone is misbehaving because of something that is going on at home (since you apparently know that every black person is going to go to jail for some reason), why don't you try and do something about it instead of calmly analyzing the situation from afar?

Its not just an urban thing. The middle school that I went to was mostly black, had kids that fought all the time and a bunch of other things that you could imagine. However, the school was not in the heart of Richmond. It was in the suburbs!! In fact, both Boushall and Thompson, the schools that have the worst reputation in the city, were EXTREMELY close to the county line, less than two blocks or so, but they are still part of the city school system. It was not because these schools were mostly black (I actually hate using the term "black" school, as it perpetuates the notion that one cannot get a good education from a historically black school). It was because some of the students acted bad and this was all everyone heard about (or chose to hear about) the school while at the same time, did not do a damn thing to help change the schools and the life of the students. The schools have actually calmed down significantly but this took many years to do. My middle school was unaccredited for many years and it did not become accredited until the year my class left for high school (2004). It has been accredited ever since.

The kids have something else going that causes them to act that way. Again, if they really, really did not care about their education, they would not have made to middle school and high school (the standardized tests would have made sure to that). There is always something deeper going on in a students mind that causes them to act that way. Its not nearly as simple as you may think.
yea what he said---not funny

Amray The II
07-30-2008, 08:29 AM
They say that blond people are dumb, yet my sister's grades went through the roof. They say that all Asian people are smart, yet their are a majority that fail education like students elsewhere in the world. They say that all builders have their bottoms out when working, yet I have seen some with belts on. They say that all English people always drink tea, I hate tea. They say that woman can't drive, but....oh wait, that one is kind of true..

Nontheless, not all the stereotypes and accusations out there in the big, wide world are necessarily true. A Black man once helped us carry a new cooker into our house, he didn't steal anything when he left. Seriously, making accusations about a person by the colour of their skin, hair, and other features, and then labelling them with crap is unfair to the individual.

XdreamzX
07-30-2008, 05:23 PM
could some1 plz close this thread???

An Chi
07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
It was stuid Nothing more to say 8-/