PDA

View Full Version : Hi-I need help with a Japanese cat-themed pun

Mavericker
07-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi-I want to make a furry parody of the Major from GITS:SAC. I want to make her a cat-her last name is Kusaneko. What should her first name be? How do I make a Japanese cat-themed pun out of Motoko? Please let me know. Thank you.

Datenshi
07-29-2008, 04:15 AM
I can't think of any at the moment without using "neko" twice, but personally the best I could think of was:

草ニャぎ素ネコ

Mavericker
08-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I can't think of any at the moment without using "neko" twice, but personally the best I could think of was:

草ニャぎ素ネコ

Motoneko Kusanyagi? I was going to say something like:

Mewtoko Kusaneko

Datenshi
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
ニャー is the sound of a cat's voice in Japanese (="mew).

Your version would do if you're aiming for a pun in English, I suppose. But it seems kinda funny to have an English pun in the name and a Japanese pun in the surname.

dabura667
08-05-2008, 06:45 AM

草ニャぎ素ネコ

オワタ\(^o^)/

it's over

use 草ニャぎ素ネコ

Mavericker
08-06-2008, 06:07 AM
オワタ\(^o^)/

it's over

use 草ニャぎ素ネコ

Hi-thank you but I kind of like mine better. Unless you can come up with something shorter. Motoneko is a little too busy.

ニャー is the sound of a cat's voice in Japanese (="mew).

Your version would do if you're aiming for a pun in English, I suppose. But it seems kinda funny to have an English pun in the name and a Japanese pun in the surname.

I said I wanted it to be cat-themed so I think Mewtoko works.

Datenshi
08-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Motoneko is a little too busy.
Hmm, how about モトコ -> モネコ? It might be possible to get away with that.

But hey, it's your call in the end :P

Mavericker
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Hmm, how about モトコ -> モネコ? It might be possible to get away with that.

But hey, it's your call in the end :P

Can you please post romanized Japanese? It's a little easier for me to read.

I would like to know how many ways are there to say "meow" in Japanese?

dabura667
08-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi-thank you but I kind of like mine better. Unless you can come up with something shorter. Motoneko is a little too busy.

I said I wanted it to be cat-themed so I think Mewtoko works.

Let's think... you are cosplaying Japanese anime, Japanese name...

it doesn't make sense to say "Mewtoko" as mew is not sound of cat in Japanese (nor in English??? isn't it "meow" and not "mew"?)

nya = sound of cat in Japanese

so kusanagi becomes kusanyagi = a normal Japanese way of pretending to be a human-cat

motoko also from thinking like a Japanese person is good as "motoneko" I don't understand where you think it is too busy? if you mean long, I don't think so.

If you choose Kusaneko Mewtoko, maybe people in english speaking country will think it's ok, but using Kusanyagi Motoneko will sound like Japanese person thought of it (because I think he is Japanese maybe?)

Mavericker
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Let's think... you are cosplaying Japanese anime, Japanese name...

it doesn't make sense to say "Mewtoko" as mew is not sound of cat in Japanese (nor in English??? isn't it "meow" and not "mew"?)

nya = sound of cat in Japanese

so kusanagi becomes kusanyagi = a normal Japanese way of pretending to be a human-cat

motoko also from thinking like a Japanese person is good as "motoneko" I don't understand where you think it is too busy? if you mean long, I don't think so.

If you choose Kusaneko Mewtoko, maybe people in english speaking country will think it's ok, but using Kusanyagi Motoneko will sound like Japanese person thought of it (because I think he is Japanese maybe?)

No-I want her to be a furry- a "funny animal" not some catgirl.

Datenshi
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
No-I want her to be a furry- a "funny animal" not some catgirl.
I totally love how you completely missed the entire point of his post and practically leapt at some harmless allusion to "catgirls" (which he never directly stated, if I'm not mistaken).

Really, though, we're just giving advice because you asked for it. If you decide to do things your way, that is your problem and not mine. Good day.

(because I think he is Japanese maybe?)
Yeah, you are correct :P. Although I should say that word-play like this is less a matter of language and more a matter of a taste.

Mavericker
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I totally love how you completely missed the entire point of his post and practically leapt at some harmless allusion to "catgirls" (which he never directly stated, if I'm not mistaken).

Really, though, we're just giving advice because you asked for it. If you decide to do things your way, that is your problem and not mine. Good day.

Yeah, you are correct :P. Although I should say that word-play like this is less a matter of language and more a matter of a taste.

Don't take it so seriously.

If it's cat themed, it can have cat elements-you don't have to use the word(s) for a cat.

How many different words are there for cat in Japanese besides neko?

How many ways are there to say "meow" in Japanese?

What about "Motokyatto"?

Datenshi
08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Feh. When I start taking things too seriously it's a sign that I'm tired... I think I need sleep. Didn't mean to sound too harsh.

How many different words are there for cat in Japanese besides neko?

How many ways are there to say "meow" in Japanese?
None that I can think of. Certainly not in generally used Japanese.

What about "Motokyatto"?
Personally I think that's taking too much liberty, it might not quite get across ("mo-to-ko" is three letters, "mo-to-k-ya-t-to" is six).