PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball Z - Kiseki no BIG FIGHT

Rodrigo-kun
07-26-2008, 06:23 AM
Link to the lyrics: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/dbz/dbzknbf.htm

First of all, I want to say that I found the translation to this lyrics to be extremely literal. Also I'm not even close to being an expert in Japanese, so I can't say I know the exact meaning of every word in the song, even though I used the lyrics in kanji to translate using a software. Still, I'd like to ask that someone who is more familiar with the language corrects this translation in case I made any mistakes. Now, the things I found wrong with the lyrics are:
Sora wo uchuu wo tsukinuke moeru honoo / Empty space to penetrate the flame
I don't really know for sure, but it would seem more appropriate to traslate it as: A flame pierces [or penetrates] through space.

Kako mo mirai mo gocha-maze tsuzuku BATORU / Past and future are scrambling continue battle
The idea is the same, but I think it would be better as: Past and future scramble in a continuous battle.

(Hey Girl) Hatenai yume ga boku-ra no PAWAA / (Hey Girl) My dream and the power haven't end
I'm confident that this sentences means: (Hey, girl!) The endless dream[s] is[are] our power.

(Hey Boy) Yuuki wo chotto kashite kuretara / (Hey Boy) Let me courage
Although the meaning is the same (basically), I think it would me more precise to say: (Hey, boy!) Lend me a little courage.

Hachamecha ikashita / Do the heck'a good account
I can't seem to put both ideas together, suppossing they should be, but "hachamecha" means "nonsense" and "ikashita" is the past conjugation of "revive" or "make use of", so I don't see how that translation could be accurate. I think they might just be oppossing ideas, or maybe something like: It's nonsensical to try to make something out of it.Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

Mechakucha suteki na / A nice mess
Same as above, this translation doesn't seem too accurate, considering "mechackucha" means "absurd" or "unreasonable" and "suteki na" means "fantastic" or "great". Same as above, I don't really know what this means put together. Perhaps something like: Absurdly fantastic.

Kiseki no waza wo miseru ze / The miracle of the art show!
Too literal. This sentence means: I'll show you a miraculous technique!

Sugee BIG FIGHT! Daichi wo kogashite / Mighty Big Fight! The brown earth
More accurately, "sugee" means "awesome" or "amazing". Also, "daichi wo kogashite" means: The land is being scorched, but a less literal translation could be: The land is scorching.

BIG FIGHT! Ka wo haku tekken / Big Fight! Spitfire fury
First of all, the correct reading for "flame" in this song is "hi"; not "ka". Second, the sentence means: A fire-breathing fist, but a better adaptation could be: A fist surrounded by flames (open to interpretation).

Inochi wa ni ko ja tarinai / Life is two is not enough
Although quite close, a better translation would be: The lives of two people are not enough.
EDIT: I correct myself. I think this literally means: Life isn't enough for two individuals. I guess it's an expression like: Only one will come out alive.

Sou sa BIG FIGHT! Karada wa MISAIRU / Yes, Big Fight! The missile body
This isn't exactly wrong, but I would translate it as: That's right, a Big Fight! [My] body is a missile.

BIG FIGHT! HAATO wa houseki / Heart is a jewel
Not wrong, either, but I'd place a "Your" at the beginning. Also, the "jewel" could be adapted into something like "something precious".

Mugen no ai ni kagayaku... DORAGONBOORU / Endless love shining... Dragonball
Basically the same, but: The endless love will shine... Dragonball.

Nanika totsuzen okite mo fushigi ja nai / Suddenly something strange is happening not
Extremely literal. It means: Something is taking place suddenly, and that's no surprise.

Sabaku ni bara ga saite mo mahou ja nai / Desert roses are in bloom is not magic
Very close, but I say: Desert roses are blooming, and that's not magic.

(Hey Girl) Kokoro ni nemuru himitsu no PAWAA / (Hey Girl) Secret power of the mind to sleep
It would be more accurate, I think, as: (Hey, girl!) The secret powers sleeps inside our hearts.

(Hey Boy) Shinjite ireba itsu wa kimi mo / (Hey Boy) Is always believe if you are
I'm not sure, but I thing it means: (Hey, boy!) If you believe, you're part of it, too.

Muchakucha ikareta / Go mess
I don't know that this means, although the current translation doesn't seem accurate. Maybe it means: Make a mess, or: It's turned into a mess. Again, I don't know.

Mechamecha dekkai / Big wreck
This one is right, although I'd add an "It's a" at the beginning, and change "big" for "huge".

FAITAA ni kitto nareru sa / Fighters could be in no doubt that
Now, although very similar, this sentence means: [We will] certainly become fighters. That's because of the particle "ni", which indicates direction. That is, "fighters" is not what's becoming something, but the something that the subject -implicit in this sentence- is becoming.

Sugee BIG FIGHT! PAWAA wa zenkai / Mighty Big Fight! Power is wide open
"Zenkai", in this context, is more accurately translated as "at the highest point". So the sentence would mean: Amazing Big Fight! Our power is at maximum.

BIG FIGHT! Maketara koukai / Big Fight! Losing regret
I'm pretty sure it means: Big Fight! If we lose, we'll regret it, considering "maketara" is the conditional conjugation of the verb "makeru", which means "to lose" or "to be defeated".

Shareteru baai ja nai ne / Sally If you think you
The translation was probably a mix-up, but anyway... It means: This isn't a situation to be joking (or: This is no laughing matter).

Sou sa BIG FIGHT! Jaaku na aite ni / Yes Big Fight! An evil person
It's the same idea, but more accurately it would mean: That's right, a Big Fight! Our evil opponent.

BIG FIGHT! Hikari wo tsukisashi / Big Fight! Light stabbing
It's also the same idea, but if I'm right and this verse is a continuation of the previous one, it would be: Big Fight! Pierce light through him.

Itsuka wa ai de tsutsumou... DORAGONBOORU / Love will eventually wrap... Dragonball
This one is very accurate, but I'd translate it as: Someday love will be wrapped up... Dragonball. Now, I don't know how that makes sense. Maybe it's an expression, but I don't know, really.
I hope this results useful.

AzureDark
07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Yea the translator's not really good in English so she was told not to submit anymore translations... I know how you feel, but I can't correct it for you unless you pass the test >_<;

Hopefully anyone else can pick upon this? Sigh only a few people listen to DBZ music these days.

Rizuchan
07-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm actually a big DBZ fan, but I haven't seen any of the movies so I'm not familiar with their theme songs, so I hope nothings out of order or anything because I can't check it (Also, because the computer with all my music on it currently lacks a working video card ;-; )

Sora wo uchuu wo tsukinuke moeru honoo / Empty space to penetrate the flame
I don't really know for sure, but it would seem more appropriate to traslate it as: A flame pierces [or penetrates] through space."sora wo" and "uchuu wo" here are separate. Also, you're missing the verb "moeru".
A burning fire pierces through the sky, through the cosmos

Kako mo mirai mo gocha-maze tsuzuku BATORU / Past and future are scrambling continue battle
The idea is the same, but I think it would be better as: Past and future scramble in a continuous battle.The past and the future are jumbled up as this battle continues
"tsudzuku" is a verb. (That's mostly just a picky thing)

(Hey Girl) Hatenai yume ga boku-ra no PAWAA / (Hey Girl) My dream and the power haven't end
I'm confident that this sentences means: (Hey, girl!) The endless dream[s] is[are] our power.I'm not sure how prominent the "(Hey Girl)" part is in the song, but I figured that the line following it should refer to said girl.
(Hey Girl) Your never-ending dream is your power

(Hey Boy) Yuuki wo chotto kashite kuretara / (Hey Boy) Let me courage
Although the meaning is the same (basically), I think it would me more precise to say: (Hey, boy!) Lend me a little courage.Both of you missed -tara, "if".
(Hey Boy) If you lend me just a bit of courage

Hachamecha ikashita / Do the heck'a good account
I can't seem to put both ideas together, suppossing they should be, but "hachamecha" means "nonsense" and "ikashita" is the past conjugation of "revive" or "make use of", so I don't see how that translation could be accurate. I think they might just be oppossing ideas, or maybe something like: It's nonsensical to try to make something out of it.Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

Mechakucha suteki na / A nice mess
Same as above, this translation doesn't seem too accurate, considering "mechackucha" means "absurd" or "unreasonable" and "suteki na" means "fantastic" or "great". Same as above, I don't really know what this means put together. Perhaps something like: Absurdly fantastic.

Kiseki no waza wo miseru ze / The miracle of the art show!
Too literal. This sentence means: I'll show you a miraculous technique!
This whole part is one statement.
I'll show you a nonsensical, stylish,
Reckless, wonderful,
miraculous technique!

I had to look it up, but apparently "ikashita" can mean "cool" or "stylish" along with its litteral meaning. I'm not sure if its some kind of slang or what, but it's used a lot in DBZ lyrics.

Sugee BIG FIGHT! Daichi wo kogashite / Mighty Big Fight! The brown earth
More accurately, "sugee" means "awesome" or "amazing". Also, "daichi wo kogashite" means: The land is being scorched, but a less literal translation could be: The land is scorching.Nothing at all wrong here.
An amazing Big fight! The earth is being scorched

BIG FIGHT! Ka wo haku tekken / Big Fight! Spitfire fury
First of all, the correct reading for "flame" in this song is "hi"; not "ka". Second, the sentence means: A fire-breathing fist, but a better adaptation could be: A fist surrounded by flames (open to interpretation)."Fist that breathes flame" would be most accurate. I think it's best to keep that line litteral, it reeks of that kind of cheezy action move that DBZ is built upon.
Big fight! Fists that breathe flame

Inochi wa ni ko ja tarinai / Life is two is not enough
Although quite close, a better translation would be: The lives of two people are not enough.
EDIT: I correct myself. I think this literally means: Life isn't enough for two individuals. I guess it's an expression like: Only one will come out alive."ko" doesn't mean individual in the sense of "individual people", its a counter word. Though I honestly have no idea what the "two" is referring to here.
I have:
Two aren't enough in my life
But I certainly would like to figure out two of "what?". (The fists maybe?)

Sou sa BIG FIGHT! Karada wa MISAIRU / Yes, Big Fight! The missile body
This isn't exactly wrong, but I would translate it as: That's right, a Big Fight! [My] body is a missile.I would say it's exactly wrong, but hey, that makes you exactly right, haha.
That's right, Big fight! My body is a missile

BIG FIGHT! HAATO wa houseki / Heart is a jewel
Not wrong, either, but I'd place a "Your" at the beginning. Also, the "jewel" could be adapted into something like "something precious".

Mugen no ai ni kagayaku... DORAGONBOORU / Endless love shining... Dragonball
Basically the same, but: The endless love will shine... Dragonball."Love" isn't the subject here, it's still the heart/jewel from the previous line.
愛に輝く "Shining in [the midst of] love"
Big fight! My heart is a jewel
Glittering infinitely with love...Dragonball!

Nanika totsuzen okite mo fushigi ja nai / Suddenly something strange is happening not
Extremely literal. It means: Something is taking place suddenly, and that's no surprise.

Sabaku ni bara ga saite mo mahou ja nai / Desert roses are in bloom is not magic
Very close, but I say: Desert roses are blooming, and that's not magic.
You're missing "mo" here, which makes these statements, "Even though..."

Even if something happens suddenly, it's no mystery
Even if a rose blooms in the desert, it's not magic

(Hey Girl) Kokoro ni nemuru himitsu no PAWAA / (Hey Girl) Secret power of the mind to sleep
It would be more accurate, I think, as: (Hey, girl!) The secret powers sleeps inside our hearts.Same as the previous instance, I think it should be directed to the girl.
(Hey Girl) There's secret power that sleeps in your heart

(Hey Boy) Shinjite ireba itsu wa kimi mo / (Hey Boy) Is always believe if you are
I'm not sure, but I thing it means: (Hey, boy!) If you believe, you're part of it, too.Just like last time, this is the begining of a longer statement. sexest songwriter, giving the boy 4 lines and the girl just one.
(Hey Boy) As long as your believe, you

Muchakucha ikareta / Go mess
I don't know that this means, although the current translation doesn't seem accurate. Maybe it means: Make a mess, or: It's turned into a mess. Again, I don't know.

Mechamecha dekkai / Big wreck
This one is right, although I'd add an "It's a" at the beginning, and change "big" for "huge".

FAITAA ni kitto nareru sa / Fighters could be in no doubt that
Now, although very similar, this sentence means: [We will] certainly become fighters. That's because of the particle "ni", which indicates direction. That is, "fighters" is not what's becoming something, but the something that the subject -implicit in this sentence- is becoming.
You have to find the big picture in these lines.

Surely can even become a fighter that's
Confused, crazy
rash, and huge!

Also, "ikareta" is another slang-or-whatever word that in this case means "crazy".

I'm not sure if I expressed it well, but I'm pretty sure the meaning here is "As long as you believe you can, you can become a fighter even if you're confused, crazy, rash, and huge!" Phrasing it like that deviates from the original structure of the Japanese which is why I didn't write it like that, but I think that's the meaning that's trying to be conveyed.

Sugee BIG FIGHT! PAWAA wa zenkai / Mighty Big Fight! Power is wide open
"Zenkai", in this context, is more accurately translated as "at the highest point". So the sentence would mean: Amazing Big Fight! Our power is at maximum."Full-throttle" is better! The cheesier it sounds, the better! Aha, sorry about that. I love DBZ.

An amazing Big fight! Power full-throttle

BIG FIGHT! Maketara koukai / Big Fight! Losing regret
I'm pretty sure it means: Big Fight! If we lose, we'll regret it, considering "maketara" is the conditional conjugation of the verb "makeru", which means "to lose" or "to be defeated".That's correct, but I think "regret" is too strong of a word here. I'm thinking something more like:
Big fight! Shame if I lose
(I'm changing the subject to "I", but it could be either)

Shareteru baai ja nai ne / Sally If you think you
The translation was probably a mix-up, but anyway... It means: This isn't a situation to be joking (or: This is no laughing matter).I would go with a more literal translation than "laughing matter" in the case of "joking", but I think an adequate English equivalent phrase would be:
This is not the time to be joking

Sou sa BIG FIGHT! Jaaku na aite ni / Yes Big Fight! An evil person
It's the same idea, but more accurately it would mean: That's right, a Big Fight! Our evil opponent.

BIG FIGHT! Hikari wo tsukisashi / Big Fight! Light stabbing
It's also the same idea, but if I'm right and this verse is a continuation of the previous one, it would be: Big Fight! Pierce light through him.Because of the "ni" at the end of the first line, I would say it would be "in the direction of" rather than "through him".

That's right, Big fight! Towards wicked opponents
Big fight! I'll thrust my light

Itsuka wa ai de tsutsumou... DORAGONBOORU / Love will eventually wrap... Dragonball
This one is very accurate, but I'd translate it as: Someday love will be wrapped up... Dragonball. Now, I don't know how that makes sense. Maybe it's an expression, but I don't know, really.
It's refering to the light from the previous line still.
Someday I'll wrap it in love...... Dragonball!

@AzureDark:
Do you want me to post my new translation, or do you want to use Rodrigo-kun's (with corrections)?

Rodrigo-kun
07-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey, thanks, Rizuchan. Your translation seems a lot more accurate to me. Perhaps it would be better for yours to be in the site. The important thing is that the song has the right translation.

サンキュー、リズちゃん!

P.S: I knew that "moeru" means "burning", but I just thought that a "burning flame" would be redundant.

Rizuchan
07-26-2008, 06:57 PM
P.S: I knew that "moeru" means "burning", but I just thought that a "burning flame" would be redundant.
I didn't think that you didn't know, I just figured at the worst you just overlooked it. I understand what you mean about redundancy, I've seen that particular phrase in a lot of songs and I've always thought that myself.

A burning fire pierces through the sky, through the cosmos
The past and the future are jumbled up and this battle continues
*(Hey Girl) Your never-ending dream is our power
(Hey Boy) If you lend me just a bit of courage
I'll show you a nonsensical, stylish,
Reckless, wonderful,
miraculous technique!

An amazing Big fight! The earth is being scorched
Big fight! Fists that breathe flame
Two aren't enough in my life
That's right, Big fight! My body is a missile
Big fight! My heart is a jewel
Glittering infinitely with love...Dragonball!

Even if something happens suddenly, it's no mystery
Even if a rose blooms in the desert, it's not magic
(Hey Girl) There's secret power that sleeps in your heart
Surely can even become a fighter that's
Confused, crazy
rash, and huge!

An amazing Big fight! Power full-throttle
Big fight! Shame if I lose
This is not the time to be joking
That's right, Big fight! Towards wicked opponents
Big fight! I'll thrust my light
Someday I'll wrap it in love...... Dragonball!

*Repeat

Rodrigo-kun
07-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Nice translation, Rizuchan. Thanks for putting your effort in this song. And you even taught me some Japanese. ^^