PDA

View Full Version : Faith

Lola Granola
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
What faith do your characters follow and why did you choose them? Or are you partial towards any particular one?

SGI
07-25-2008, 04:48 AM
That largely depends on the setting of the RPG and the makeup of the party.

In fantasy settings, especially ones where faith tends to player a larger role or be more openly manifested, my characters tend to follow the Lawful Neutural/Judge Dieties (St. Cuthbert in D&D Greyhawk and Helm in Forgotten Realms, Emma-O in Legend of the Five Rings). This is my most common route as most parties I'm in tend to be made up of 'Good' characters, and gives me an excuse to go down the Lawful Neutral path (And hence get to play a morally differing, shades of Grey character).

In less overtly fantastic settings my characters tend to lead towards agnostic, much more pragmatic, Machiavellian characters who tend to view Faith as a weakness.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Agnostic, or a deity associated with Magic.

Sanosuke23
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Depends on the character I'm playing, really. If they're supposed to be a pious individual I'll choose a diety that reflects that, most notably my Necro/Cleric of Evening Glory(Libris Mortis) I typically won't shut up about as of late. If piety isn't an issue, and I mean this more about their personality or their history more than their class, then I'll probably either go with whatever's the racial default and forget about it or leave it as nothing.

Eris
07-26-2008, 05:27 AM
It varies. I played a really interesting character once (D&D), a half-orc monk who was a follower of Yurtrus. It was great because people of the lack of clichés. Yurtrus is such a minor deity, nobody has come to expect things of his followers.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-27-2008, 10:26 AM
My characters are usually agnostic, but my paladins (being the lawful goody-two-shoes that they are) follow Heironeous, obviously. All of my previous DM's never understood the whole deity thing, so my characters have just always been agnostic. After messing around with Boccob (I think...), I decided to just make them agnostic.

Lavos
07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Traugar Stormbeard: Dwarven Cleric - Pelor, god of the sun. Cause my cleric fears the dark.

ShadowWalker
08-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Shady worships the elements, because his people used to war with gods, and the clerics of gods.
So only nature, in it's many different forms for him. There's a lot more to it, but that's the short and dirty of it.

Lon
08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Corellian (spelling?) is a favorite among my elves. William Blackstone serves as a good deity of choice for most of my negative based characters anymore, Other than that I'm pretty much Aethiest. My characters really don't worship anything more than the Dungeon Master. ...you'd be surprised at how often that actually works too!