PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to make cosplay armor

Emiko-starr
07-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I've heard a lot of different methods of ways to make fake armour so that it is light and easy to make, but still looks good, like using styrofoam, or spandex over certain types of cardboard, even model magic and things like that but I've never really tried it. I have a friend that is making a Ragnorak costume using craft foam over cardboard, but I was just wondering...

what would you think is the most effective and easy way to make Cosplay armor?

and where could you get the materials?

ooh! I just found some new info on cosplay armour from Naka-kon forums, check this tutorial out: http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

it's a tutorial on how to make lightweight armour that looks amazing, it's a bit time consuming, but the results are worth it! :D

Diocletian
07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Cardboard.No sarcasm.Some of the best are made of cardboard.The Gundam are all plastic.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-18-2008, 07:14 PM
This is not easy. Fer realz. It's not as easy as it looks. Even using cardboard, I can guarantee 99% that it's not going to come out the way you want on your first shot. I recommend going with foam, not styrofoam, but straight up foam. If you need 3D pieces, use white card board and spray paint it with something metallic. When it comes to something that looks carved (like an insignia on a breast plate), better start working on you skills with an exacto knife. It's quite difficult really.

CroSsplay!
07-18-2008, 10:30 PM
The best way to obtain light durable fake metal is poleurthane AKA (pool foam or pool lining foam), go to your local foam supplyer here in perth WA is Clark Rubber (http://www.clarkrubber.com.au), some other stores may have it like if your in the States, i would try Home Depo (I think thats what its called).

There are cheaper foams but i find that they dont have the life span of pool foam.

Other non foam options ar cover jobs, cover jobs involve using other materials like,
memory foam pillows
cardboard
and covering them in gloss paper (in the disired metal shade) this is cheaper but again it wont last as long.

hope that helps >.<

Emiko-starr
07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
The best way to obtain light durable fake metal is poleurthane AKA (pool foam or pool lining foam), go to your local foam supplyer here in perth WA is Clark Rubber (http://www.clarkrubber.com.au), some other stores may have it like if your in the States, i would try Home Depo (I think thats what its called).

There are cheaper foams but i find that they dont have the life span of pool foam.

Other non foam options ar cover jobs, cover jobs involve using other materials like,
memory foam pillows
cardboard
and covering them in gloss paper (in the disired metal shade) this is cheaper but again it wont last as long.

hope that helps >.<

so how much does this stuff cost (roughly) ?

CroSsplay!
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
not to costly, but my best estimate would be 20$Aus Per Sqm. thats the cheapest i could find. but just call around and you will find some local prices.