PDA

View Full Version : whatcha think of battlecries?

Archaic Devices
07-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Well? I find them annoying in anime shows. I mean, what's the point of battlecries? Doesn't it just give them away?

(I assume this goes under misc. sorry if its the wrong forum)

International 4-8818
07-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Why have a battle cry when you can just shoot the guy or cas some stupid crap of a spell to kill the guy. It avoids possible death and some possible cliche of a battle.

The Retarded Pikachu
07-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Battle cries are weird. I mean do you really need to yell out "AHHHHHHH" right before you kill someone?

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-07-2008, 01:38 AM
There are two schools of thought.

The first is that in order to scream you have to fill your lungs deeply with air, which increases your abilities slightly.

The second is that the psychological effects of a screaming murderous person in your face are significant enough to warrant screaming at someone you plan on killing.

Both are probably true enough.

Dottie.
07-07-2008, 02:04 AM
It also helps to intimidate your oppondent by making yourself seem "scary". We were taught to yell when attacking someone in karate training.

Haoie
07-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Related to this is obviously shouting out the name of your attack each time you do it.

~*Red*~
07-07-2008, 04:01 AM
If it's going to scare your opponent, then sure you need a battle-cry.

Amray The II
07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
The same reason that olympic contestants scream and shout when they throw a javelin or some other throwing object sport..it gives them more energy and releases all their strength and anger to succeed in their objective.

Hideki Motosuwa.
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
It also helps to intimidate your oppondent by making yourself seem "scary". We were taught to yell when attacking someone in karate training.
Yes, that is true, Bruce Lee used battle cries in his movies, and that's classic :p I used to ki-ai all the time in Karate class and wow did I sound fierce!! xD

Diocletian
07-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Battle cries are okay....in manga.2-3 pages and your done.In anime it's like 6-8 minutes.Now come on that long.I would recommend stretching.Maybe a Jumping jack or two.

Derrick Remon
07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I've never used a battle cry before, but I always hated on Thunder cats, they would do it the whole episode... ><;

SSDynamite
07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
sometimes people yell what they're fighting for. like in these books i read they well "REDWAAALL" when they charge the enemy, because that's where they come from. it's like an honor thing, representing yourself and family. i like it, makes the scene more exciting.

*.:Endless Sky:.*
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
The point of the battle cry is to get the adrenaline pumping, I think. Then again...I've never been in battle. -o-

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Related to this is obviously shouting out the name of your attack each time you do it.
Shouting your attacks out before you do them is just common sense. How are you supposed to remember what you were going to do otherwise? You might go to throw a Distructo Disk, forget what you were doing halfway through, and wind up throwing a shoe instead.

Amray The II
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
It is also common curtacy to shout out your Pokemons name before letting it out, otherwise you may end up battling with a Goldeen. And let's face it, they suck.

Archaic Devices
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
It is also common curtacy to shout out your Pokemons name before letting it out, otherwise you may end up battling with a Goldeen. And let's face it, they suck.

Ok. Pokemon doesn't count. >.>

Chocobo
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM

That reminded me of the question I had two or three days ago. When you capture a Pikachu, you capture it in a red and white ball. When you capture a Psyduck you capture it in a red and white ball...when a character pulls out a Pokeball and shouts "___ I choose you!" Exactly HOW do they know it's really that Pokemon, hmm? Especially if they're reaching into a bag at random. I've just now started to wonder this.

Haoie
07-08-2008, 02:40 AM
This topic hurts Psyduck's head.

Amray The II
07-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Well, what I would do is use a little permanent pen to write on the ball the name of the Pokemon that it contains. That way before I throw it I can quickly read the name on the ball and then shout the name inscribed on it.

TheAsterisk!
07-10-2008, 04:08 AM
I suppose it would depend on whether or not your target/opponent is already aware of your prescence. If they can see you, may as well shout like a madman.
Yelling out the name of an attack is idioy all the time, though. Why should you give 'em a few seconds notice to evade?

Diocletian
07-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, what I would do is use a little permanent pen to write on the ball the name of the Pokemon that it contains. That way before I throw it I can quickly read the name on the ball and then shout the name inscribed on it.

How did they remember who was in who?I imagine they brand their Pokemon in agony.You see the brown on Pika?That isn't poop or hair color,that my friend is the steam iron Ash used to burn him/her/it/mouse/rat/breeder.

loveyourfate
07-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, normal battle cries are alright I guess. It gives comfort by getting your blood pumping and extinguishing your fear.
However, shouting out the name of your attack right before you perform it has always seemed kind of retarded to me... I mean, seriously, the only thing that does is warn the enemy what you're about to do; Take pokemon for example, someone yells out an attack and even before it's performed you sometimes hear the other cry out "Dodge It!" You'd think that after a while a character with a brain would notice and spread the word to the dumber people...