PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose your next anime/manga?

SSDynamite
07-05-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, this is just a general thread about how people know which anime to watch next.

Personally, if I hear about an anime I google it to see what the characters look like. Then if it looks good I'll watch the first two episodes to find out if i like it. Usually I do ^^.
How do you choose what to watch next?

Amray The II
07-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I see what the basic plot is...or...take a guess and buy it anyway to see what it is like. ^^;

I will buy practically any slice of life anime out there because it is my favourte genre of anime. I never even had to read what lucky star was about I just automatically knew I would like it when I saw Konata with a PS2 controller and other anime references. Lucky because I really did love the whole anime. Whereas with elfen lied i just watched a trailer and thught it looked awesome. Also the theme 'lilium' was in the trailer and i loved it!

With manga i only buy the manga's that i have seen in anime. exept for battle vixens which was on special offer so I bought the first three. Then after i bought the anime because the manga was so great. ^_^

Jagan Eye
07-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I go to the library and if any new title looks good, I pick up the first couple of volumes and read them.
Also, if someone recomends something to me, I read it...and I really don't watch anime much.

Souhi
07-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Word of mouth. That, and sometimes hype. If only to see what all the fuss is all about. Lately it's just been series that friends (with similar tastes to mine) recommend, because I know I'll enjoy some aspect of it. It hasn't failed me since.

Doom85
07-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll check out reviews, trailers, users' comments, etc. to see if it's an anime/manga I would like. Then I'll go to the store and look for all the ones recommended, and buy accordingly (especially if one of them is on sale).

Mayonnaise-Senpai
07-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Well when I am introduced to a new anime, I like to google it and figure out the storyline and read the biographies of the characters. Im very picky at what type of anime it is. I hate Mecha, Apocolyptic and somewhat Space animes. Anything else is fine. If I think its good storyline and the characters are cool, I'll keep coming for more.

Amray The II
07-05-2008, 10:47 AM
If their is one thing that I never do it is ask or take anothers advise. I do not like getting ideas of anime to watch from other people. The obvious reason would be because we all have our own likes and dislike and I may not even like what they recommend to me even they if they do say it is amazing. So I prefer to see for myself. ^^

You will never see a recommendation thread on this from me I can assure you. XD

Souhi
07-05-2008, 11:14 AM
If their is one thing that I never do it is ask or take anothers advise. I do not like getting ideas of anime to watch from other people. The obvious reason would be because we all have our own likes and dislike and I may not even like what they recommend to me even they if they do say it is amazing. So I prefer to see for myself. ^^

You will never see a recommendation thread on this from me I can assure you. XD

Yeah of course, that's why I ask friends that share my general taste. Not strangers. I would've never found half the crazy good series that I've seen or read without a nudge from a buddy. Recommendation threads on AF tend to be too general and impersonal in my opinion.

I was never able to use the "oh this guy looks cool" method. Left me disappointed too often. Reviews have had me on the flip side as well. Come to think of it, I use soundtrack as a bit of a guide too o_o. Openings with good animation and a catchy song are usually worth a look.

Mujika
07-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I searched @wikiped. Then if the animes got some cool titles with a good story plot I might watch it. But right now, I'm just asking people around here in AF on what's new and what's hot from what's NOT

_Freddie_
07-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I watch the last episode first to see if I like how it ends.

Greenflames
07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
hmm...When I hear about an anime from a friend or come across it on some website or something, I usually check it out on youtube (I usually try and go for trailers and openings/endings...and usually if I like the look of it and the music I try and get it)...sometimes I check out the plot from anime news network...but most of the time the animes I actually decide I want to watch I can't find when I actually go to the stores, so I end up picking from what's there...although recently I did manage to get one that I wanted to watch...actually two hehe (true tears and gunslinger girl)...a friend of mine checks out trailers on crunchyroll^^

Amray The II
07-05-2008, 11:39 AM

0_0! ...I could never....

Yeah of course, that's why I ask friends that share my general taste. Not strangers. I would've never found half the crazy good series that I've seen or read without a nudge from a buddy. Recommendation threads on AF tend to be too general and impersonal in my opinion.

I was never able to use the "oh this guy looks cool" method. Left me disappointed too often. Reviews have had me on the flip side as well. Come to think of it, I use soundtrack as a bit of a guide too o_o. Openings with good animation and a catchy song are usually worth a look.

The thing is my friend that I have so many things recommended to me in the past that were said to be 'awesome', only to be disapointed. So I never trust other peoples views anymore. That's just me thugh. ^^;

Memento Mori
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Sometimes to see what's the big deal with it, and why it's so popular.

Sometimes because my friend recommended it.

Sometimes because I read the plot, and I thought it was tight.

blueangel06661
07-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I usually find related videos prior to the one I just watched. and if it looks good, I start watching it.

law~
07-05-2008, 12:47 PM
i usually first like to read the plot to see if it is intereting enough to me...then i google it to see how the characters look like ^^
if I like them then I try some episodes, If i get bored and just repeat the process all over again till i find what I'm looking for ^^

Happi Giraffe!
07-05-2008, 01:39 PM
if i hear about an anime/manga and i'm interested in it, then i just try it out and see if it like it.

Fuu Kasumi
07-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Usually, it's because a friend recommended a certain series. I sometimes read recommendation threads, but as Souhi said, on AF they tend to be too general and impersonal. So, I stick with my friends' opinions instead.
Other times it's because I simply read the plot and found it pretty interesting.

Marshmallow Fluff
07-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I usually go to Borders and look for a good manga, but I hardly watch anime :3

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a never ending list of things to watch. I have so much anime on that list, I'll be dead and still not have finished it.

Diocletian
07-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I base it on how the Opening and how the Trailer looks.SHEA!

Ezzy
07-05-2008, 06:42 PM
If its a new anime that just started airing then ill watch the first few episodes to see how it is. I also find out about good anime from my friend. But i would have to say that most of the anime that i find out about comes from Anime Planet. When you click on a show a list of "You would also like this" appears below it so i tend to read the synopsis of the basic plot and if it sounds interesting then ill check it out. I tend to like everything I watch except for a select few anime so i usually never have a hard time picking the next anime to watch unless there are a bunch of good ones that i want to watch.

Kanjoudakai_Ira
07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
First of all i go for the ones requested by my friends,since they have the same tastes as me. First come the ones that seem more interesting for me (and that is,contains more blood,violence). I also google images,to see graphics and stuff,then go on anidb.net and inform myself about it,and if it seems interesting,it's on the list ^_^

hirokiaibalovex3
07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I ask for requests on a thread then I search it on Wikipedia. If it looks good, then I'll watch the first episode of the anime, or go and check on the manga.

I usually get hooked on the manga series, and later move to the anime, if they have one.

Aki_Saku
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I usually go by recomendations. If someone says that they really like it, I Google it to see what it's about. If it looks good, and I like the art, I start watching it.

sataned
07-06-2008, 12:33 PM
i usually go to anime news network,
check out all the anime, then i write down a few of the anime with the best arts style i like,
then i read up on the plot,
and if the plot sounds good and the arts look good then it must be good!
dont be fooled though... alot of anime turn out crappy =__= like D.Grey man
and..... and... and...

~*Red*~
07-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I read about the plot and read about the characters and also watch the opening trailer to see if it's good enough for me to watch.

Hideki Motosuwa.
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
When I see it, and if I like it, then that's my new series ^^;;;

Mizuki Ashiya
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I search around; read the plots to see if they're interesting.

Sometimes my friends would recommend me some and I might check them out.

The Retarded Pikachu
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
My friends tell me about a lot of animes. I found out about Naruto and Dragon Ball Z from my best friend!

Archaic Devices
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
i just pick out ones that look good

Dogmat
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Most of the time I'll hear good things about a certain show and then I'll check it out for myself and see if I like it.

Also sometimes I'll see a pic that'll catch my eye and I'll look into it. If I like it then I'll watch it. An example in my case would be Lucky Star. I saw a pic from it and then I just had to see it. :D

Thalin
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM

im guessing you didnt bother watching Neon Genesis Evangelion then. lol

usually i ask my friend, google around, or look around on this forum =)

zomgpwned
07-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Reviews / Brother

Taikyo
07-13-2008, 02:24 AM
Summary and the art. D: If either are lacking, it ain't worth my time.
And the rating of course!! <3 <---- For yaoi, it must be Hard Core. LOL
But if that doesn't work, I go ask my friends for a good title. We some what have the same taste.

Shinigami Sama
07-13-2008, 10:53 AM
My mates / trailers of new anime online. That or my pupils here in Death City, lol

Shinigami Sama signing out, for now..
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2712/soul1lz5.gif

Jessica Mars
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I tend to watch the ones that my friends recommend to me. ^^

aishiteru333
07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Randomly pick off the shelves and take it or look for manga which the library has the entire series so I can keep reading it.

Evockzi
07-13-2008, 01:39 PM
I browse through Animenfo they have quite the database of anime.

tenzo_groupie
07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I like to be random when it comes to picking another anime/manga. (the key word here is random)

Tomoyo01
07-23-2008, 03:11 PM
If I hear something that sounds interesting I look for some pics (if I like the looks) and sometimes read a short description - if I like it, I wantch the 1st episode and decide if I like it enough to continoue
or
A friend wants me to watch it (Then I have to do it)
or
When nothing else helps I go to my friends and tell them I need something new to watch (only happened 1 time)

loveyourfate
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I come over here and check out what everyone has to say :p

KHeartsLover817
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I randomly go too a bookstore or library and pick up a a manga book(the first one) and start reading it, if i like the first one i read the rest