PDA

View Full Version : looking for anime/manga names for new baby

babyofmine
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
DH and I have named our kids after anime characters (Krillin and Kenshin), and we'd like to continue the theme (we're expecting our third in December). :) Can you please suggest some names for boys and girls? Also, please identify what anime/manga it is from.
Thank you!:D

aishiteru333
07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Light- Death Note
Yuki- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Haruhi- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fuu- Samurai Champloo
Mugen- Samurai Champloo

Eh... It's really weird to name kids after these names but okay... Here ya go!

~Zetromis~
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Boys: Tenchi and Menomaru ( Tenchi Muyo and Inuyasha) Girls: Asa and Reina ( Shuffle and .hack)

Cotaku
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Boys:
•Tohru - Fruits Basket (a girl in the manga/anime, but the name is usually for a boy.)
•Tamaki - Ouran High School Host Club
•Junpei - Ichigo 100%
•L - Death Note (I know it's weird, but I'd love to have a letter for my name. xD)
•Syaoran - TRC, CCS

Girls:
•Sakura - TRC, CCS, Naruto, etc.
•Tsukasa - Ichigo 100%, Lucky Star
•Konata - Lucky Star
•Aya - Ichigo 100%
•Amu - Shugo Chara!

If you want more for girls, I suggest looking at Negima. You get about 30 different names of girls.

Good luck and congratulations! ♥

hirokiaibalovex3
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Boys:
- Ichigo (Bleach)
- Natsume (Gakuen Alice)
- Izumi (Hana-Kimi)
- Rui (Hana Yori Dango)
- Kaname (Vampire Knight)
- Hikaru (Ouran High School Host Club)
- Kaoru (Ouran High School Host Club)

Girls:
- Karin (Bleach)
- Mizuki (Hana-Kimi)
- Sayori (Vampire Knight)
- Seiren (Vampire Knight)
- Shizuka (Vampire Knight)
- Maria (Vampire Knight)

daft
07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Kenshin - Rurouni Kenshin

Midori - Midori Days

crunchy
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Boy Names:
Ichigo - Bleach
Light - Death Note
Raito - Death Note Japanese Version
L - Death Note
Ryuzaki - Death Note
Lawliet - Death Note
Ruroni - Ruroni Kenshin
Kenshin - Ruroni Kenshin
Edward - FMA
Alphonse - FMA
Naruto - Naruto
Uzumaki - Naruto
Choji - Naruto
Shikimaru - Naruto
Auron - Final Fantasy
Tidus - Final Fantasy
Goku - Saiyuki
Genjo - Saiyuki
Gojyo - Saiyuki
Hakkai - Saiyuki
Cho - Saiyuki
Genou - Saiyuki

Girl Names:
Sakura - Naruto
Sayu - Death Note
Amane - Death Note
Misa - Death Note
Tsunade - Naruto
Momo - Bleach
Orihime - Bleach

I couldnt think of any more girls names, gomenasai.

Ezzy
07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Girls(cause thats all Ive ever really thought about)
Sakura (CCS)
Karin (Naruto)
Ren (DearS)
Misuzu (Air)
Nagisa (Clannad)
Haruna (To Love-Ru)
Nozomu (Kanokon)
Chizuru (Kanokon)
Nodoka (Negima)
Setsuna (Negima)
Konoka (Negima)
Makie (Negima)
Chisame (Negima)
Mayu (Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun)
Reika (Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun)
Shinobu (Love Hina)
Motoko (Love Hina)
Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
Miyu (Vampire Princess Miyu)
Yuki (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Kagami (Lucky Star)
Tsukasa (Lucky Star)
Konota (Lucky Star)
Miyuki (Lucky Star)

rEikAbLeU
07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
hmnn...

you like K's huh...

let's see...
i think you like names that starts with K so here's my list...

Girl...
Kaori - Samurai X...
Kagome- Inuyasha
Kallen - code geass

Boy...
Kyo - Fruits Basket
Kaede- Slum Dunk
kairi - peach girl

TheAsterisk!
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Why anime? Were the kids not going to be teased enough if there were named after fictional characters? Had to go a lil' further and cement them as the subjects of junior high beatings, eh?
Trust me when I say it's little fun to be named Michael Douglas (last name ommitted due to paranoia and suspicion) for parents' laughs.
In a few years' time, please extend my condolences to the kids, would ya?
(Shakes head, mutters to self, and exits.)

Diocletian
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe don't put anime names.Japanese names are okay but nothing outrageous as Naruto or Yugi.Maybe something Japanese Traditional,say,Shindo,Osamu,Tohru even Akira.

Kojack
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Why anime? Were the kids not going to be teased enough if there were named after fictional characters? Had to go a lil' further and cement them as the subjects of junior high beatings, eh?
Trust me when I say it's little fun to be named Michael Douglas (last name ommitted due to paranoia and suspicion) for parents' laughs.

I completely agree. I actually wrote in my blog about this because the idea of naming your kid after anime characters made me rage too hard to avoid an angry tone. But I'll try to sum up what I said.

You have to remember that your little baby will one day be an adult with their own life. Don't pick a name because you and fellow anime fans think it's cute for a baby, because babies do grow up. You are giving someone a name that will last them the rest of their life, so please do not make it an embarrassing one. Also, white kids with Asian names is just plain weird.

Amray The II
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
If I get a daughter then I would call her May. Not only is it my favourite name for a female but it is also the name of my favourite Guilty Gear character. It is quite an ordinary name too and not too....anime-ish if you get my drift.

It's either May or Alice anyway.

Eikoseisui
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
You really have to be careful with names like that, because other kids can be mean and will most likely make fun of their names. Not trying to be mean, I would just hate for your kids to be made fun of.

Maybe go with a name from Full Metal Alchemist? Something like Edward or Roy?

babyofmine
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
yep, your childhood sucked. so what?
why the hell would you tell them your middle name?

I completely agree. I actually wrote in my blog about this because the idea of naming your kid after anime characters made me rage too hard to avoid an angry tone. But I'll try to sum up what I said.

You have to remember that your little baby will one day be an adult with their own life. Don't pick a name because you and fellow anime fans think it's cute for a baby, because babies do grow up. You are giving someone a name that will last them the rest of their life, so please do not make it an embarrassing one. Also, white kids with Asian names is just plain weird.
wow, you wrote a blog. yay, you.
are you a bigot?

You really have to be careful with names like that, because other kids can be mean and will most likely make fun of their names. Not trying to be mean, I would just hate for your kids to be made fun of.

Maybe go with a name from Full Metal Alchemist? Something like Edward or Roy?
The whole point is to have Japanese names. I don't want an Edward, thanks.

Flame me if you want, but I did NOT ask for your opinion of my kids' names. Naming our kids "after" anime characters is no different than naming a child after an admired family member (or even worse, just "trying to keep a family name").

I simply stated my desire to have names suggested to me. I have my own criteria for names, that I haven't disclosed. Would knowing my "rules" make you feel better? :mad:

As far as my kids being made fun of, it has NOT happened yet. If anything, I get the "weird looks" from people my age, NOT the younger generation. Many people have actually thought the names are Irish. What difference does it make WHERE I got the name from? My kids know where the names are from, and THEY think it's cool. As long as they are comfortable with it, it stays. I can always call them "Bob" and "Larry" later. oh, wait, those are VEGETABLE NAMES! Yep, they're screwed. :rolleyes:

Happi Giraffe!
07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
well, off the top of my head:

Boy:
Kaname (Vampire Knight)
Kyo (Fruits Basket)
Tamaki (Ouran High School Host Club)

Girl:
Minako (Sailor Moon)
Yuki (Vampire Knight)
Kagura (Fruits Basket)
Haruhi (Ouran High School Host Club)

Yeah, those are the only ones i can name rite now = / If i think of more i'll post them here.

MamaLita
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
It sucks that people made fun if you, but people make fun of all sorts of names. i have a friend named Vicky, normal right? Well, think of all the words that rhyme with Vicky, those were what she was called. Vicky was, of course, short for Victoria, well recently that has been turned into everyone calling her Victoria Beckham (posh spice) this annoys her.
I have another friend named Julie, she was constantly jelly or jellybean. That must have been really annoying.
Chuck.....well you can figure it out.
You don't like her naming scheme? Too bad. You were made fun of? So sad. *tear* Instead of bashing on other peoples posts about what you don't like, get a life. She wanted to know names that people suggest, not what your opinion of her naming scheme was.
So, on that note:
Amy (there are many variations of it)
Rei
Sora

Cna;t think of any boys names. Good luck on deciding!

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Don't. Whatever you do, just don't name your child after an anime character. They'll be tormented for the rest of their life. Also, what if THEY don't like anime. Don't be so selfish.

TheAsterisk!
07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
It sucks that people made fun if you, but people make fun of all sorts of names. i have a friend named Vicky, normal right? Well, think of all the words that rhyme with Vicky, those were what she was called. Vicky was, of course, short for Victoria, well recently that has been turned into everyone calling her Victoria Beckham (posh spice) this annoys her.
I have another friend named Julie, she was constantly jelly or jellybean. That must have been really annoying.
Chuck.....well you can figure it out.
You don't like her naming scheme? Too bad. You were made fun of? So sad. *tear* Instead of bashing on other peoples posts about what you don't like, get a life. She wanted to know names that people suggest, not what your opinion of her naming scheme was.
Just wait 'till some prankster shaves Krillin's head.
As to the bizarre idea that family members' names = fake cartoon/comic book characters' names (not the user I quoted, sorry), I am amazed. If it's a family member, 1) they're real, 2) there is usually some sort of emotional connection, 3) you can shut up annoying relatives by passing their names along. None of this applies with the mad mess here.
I think the worst part is that they're not even real people they're being named after. This has little to do with me, fool; I only got teased by adults. Not many first graders know who Michael Douglas is. These children are going to be ridiculed by their peers until they can legally change their names. I am a tad upset that parents' name children in themes because it amuses them with no regard to what the social consequences will be for the kiddies. They ain't pets, they're you're offspring; show a lil' more care and empathy.
If they want weird names, let 'em wait 'till they're eighteen and can change them. It isn't very hard or expensive to change your name to whatever you please.
Krillin doesn't sound too Gaelic, by the way.

Why, by the way, are Larry and Bob "vegetable names?" What exactly does vegetable mean in this context?

Ωmega
07-08-2008, 08:22 PM
LOL. I nominate this thread for the biggest Japanophile thread ever.

Honestly, do you really need to make an account just to fine a Japanese name? There are sites (http://www.babynamenetwork.com/baby_names/origins/Japanese_baby_names.cfm) that you can just browse through and pick for yourself. And who cares what anime/manga its from? So one day you can tell your kid you names them after a popular cartoon character? Its like a Japanese boy with the name Spongebob.

And please, dont think that people wont put in their two cents about the names your choosing. Dont be a Nazi and tell people they cant state their opinions. If anything, look at it as a heads up, because if people do it here, chances are it'll happen in real life.

Kojack
07-08-2008, 08:26 PM
wow, you wrote a blog. yay, you.
are you a bigot?

No, I'm not. Look up 'weird' in the dictionary, or think your flame-out-of-anger responses through next time. I actually debated between not responding to this idiocy, but in the end I decided for the post count +1.

If you see a Caucasian, you will expect a Caucasian name. You may claim globalization/integration and whatnot, but that's the way it is. The world as it is right now expects the name of someone to be of the same origin as them. People may not actively think it, but they do. To the world, a Caucasian with an Asian name is "deviating from the normal; bizarre."

I'm not surprised by the backlash that's coming from people speaking out against their I-wish-I-lived-in-an-anime sentiments. I normally wouldn't play the hate on it because it's usually just for fun, but when it comes to projecting that fandom onto other people's lives, I will speak my mind.

Diocletian
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
No, I'm not. Look up 'weird' in the dictionary, or think your flame-out-of-anger responses through next time. I actually debated between not responding to this idiocy, but in the end I decided for the post count +1.

If you see a Caucasian, you will expect a Caucasian name. You may claim globalization/integration and whatnot, but that's the way it is. The world as it is right now expects the name of someone to be of the same origin as them. People may not actively think it, but they do. To the world, a Caucasian with an Asian name is "deviating from the normal; bizarre."

I'm not surprised by the backlash that's coming from people speaking out against their I-wish-I-lived-in-an-anime sentiments. I normally wouldn't play the hate on it because it's usually just for fun, but when it comes to projecting that fandom onto other people's lives, I will speak my mind.

That's like me when I went to Jack In The Box and told them my name was Seth.{I'm Mex so you can Imagine the look on their face}

Archaic Devices
07-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Boys:
•Tohru - Fruits Basket (a girl in the manga/anime, but the name is usually for a boy.)
•Junpei - Ichigo 100%
•L - Death Note (I know it's weird, but I'd love to have a letter for my name. xD)
•Syaoran - TRC, CCS

Girls:
•Konata - Lucky Star
•Aya - Ichigo 100%
•Amu - Shugo Chara!

If you want more for girls, I suggest looking at Negima. You get about 30 different names of girls.

Um..I wouldn't consider naming a kid "L". If you wanna know L's real name, it's Lawliet. Anyway here's my name suggestions:

Boys: Ichigo, Sora, Jaden, Axel, Allen, Lavi, Renten, and Suzaku

Girls: Rikku, Sakura, Eureka, Orihime, Takada, Kallen, Kairi, and Lenalee

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-09-2008, 02:00 AM
Female- Milk. <- Bonus Points if she develops into a C or larger.
Male- Mello <- Bonus Points if you stuff him with food until he's overweight.

More Bonus points will be awarded if you have twins, use those names, and refer to them as a pair by their first initials.

Note: I am proceeding from the position that you want your children emotionally abused for some obscure reason.

Haoie
07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Your kids will enjoy a lifetime of being picked on due to their stupid names thanks to your pointless actions.

MamaLita
07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Here are some others.

Girls
Miaka (don't remember the anime)
Hitomi (though not an anime, it as a Japanese video game)
Ayane (same)
Lei (same, but I'm sure there are Lee's in animes)
Rei (Sailor Moon and Evangelion)
Amara (Sailor Moon)
Naru (Love Hina)
Ikeda (Tenchi Muyo)

Boys
Gendo (Evangelion)
Valen (though not from an anime, it is Japanese sounding. It is from the TV show Babylon 5, not many people have heard of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't. Valen was a very cool character.)

And congratulations!

MamaLita
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Ok, so you want to rag on her for naming her kids after anime characters when they're not asian (not that you know that they aren't, and if they aren't how do you know that they aren't black? This whole time you're assuming she's caucasian, why is that?), try these names on, tell me what race these kids should be:

Amanda
Alexander
Malcolm
Celeste
Andor
Rashard
Elijah
Ezekial
Lee (or any variation of)
Cameron
Maddie
Coco
China
Asialee
Lindsay
Olga
Chris

Tell me what race these people SHOULD be to have THESE names. I really want to knwo what you think.

babyofmine
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
YES, I know I can search the internet for names galore. DUH. Honestly, I wanted name suggestions from people who like the names.

"Bob" and "Larry" are vegetables from an AMERICAN cartoon show "Veggietales". Really, don't you have kids? *realizes who I'm talking to* oooohhh, right.

So I can't name my kids Japanese names because you assume I'm caucasian, and I have to fit YOUR parameters? How global of you.

I really thought I would find some kindred spirits here, not so much hate.

all done.
bye-bye

(that last part was a reference to the X-files. Just so there's no confusion.)

Mods, you can close this thread now. I've seen enough.

btw, for those that did suggest the names, I appreciate the time you took. Thank you. :)

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
So I can't name my kids Japanese names because you assume I'm caucasian, and I have to fit YOUR parameters? How global of you.

No. You're naming them after anime characters. There's a difference. There isn't anyone in Japan whose name is Ichigo or Naruto. Even the Japanese face palm at those names.

I wish your baby luck in this world. I can really sympathize with it. When it's born, tell it that Pengin says that their name was from random people on the Internet and that it can come to my house after being tormented at school.

Chocobo
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
You come here for advice and you get yelled at, such a shame. AnimeForum used to be such a welcoming forum. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you name your kids. I'm white and you'll never guess my name -.- Kiyoshi Aiko Naomi Mori. I think it'd be neat to have anime named kids. If they turn out be not like their name, they CAN always legally change it. With a fee, of course.

MALE
Kenji - Samurai-x
Jin - Xenosaga the Animation
Saitou - Rurouni Kenshin
Kuja - final fantasy 7: advent children (not exactly anime, but still, itd be awesome)

FEMALE
Tomoe - Samurai-x
Kaoru - Rurouni Kenshin
Megumi - Rurouni Kenshin
Ayame - Rurouni Kenshin
Shion - Xenosaga the Animation
MOMO - Xenosaga the Animation

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
You come here for advice and you get yelled at, such a shame. AnimeForum used to be such a welcoming forum.Not on my AF.

Sakura211
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
You come here for advice and you get yelled at, such a shame. AnimeForum used to be such a welcoming forum. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you name your kids. I'm white and you'll never guess my name -.- Kiyoshi Aiko Naomi Mori. I think it'd be neat to have anime named kids. If they turn out be not like their name, they CAN always legally change it. With a fee, of course.

X2
Well I can't say anything twords the "AnimeForum used to be such a welcoming forum"
since im new around here and haven't seen much ^_^
It doesn't seem much different from the people who name their kids after cars,
disigner brands and stuff to me.
If you do it, its recommended that you use names the Japanese actaully use in real life and not the names only used in anime
like Naruto, Ryo-Ohki (you deffinitly wouldn't want your kid named after a cabbit) and stuff.
You would want to stick with names like Hedeki, Megumi, Hinata, Hiromi, Saori and stuff like that
I don't know alot of them so thats all i Can list now.

Its true that those names would stand out since people usually expect someone Japanese to have those kind of names.
You should go for it though if you think its a good name for him/her.

devil.inc
07-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Female-
Mai-King of Fighters (ok, I know this is a video game, but i've always liked this name)
Kaoru-Rurouni Kenshin
Saya-Blood +
Ayame-Rurouni Kenshin
Yumi-Rurouni Kenshin
Tomoyo-Cardcaptor Sakura
Amaya-(I'm not sure which anime this is from, but i like the name.It means 'Night Rain")

Male-
Kai-Beyblade
Sasuke-Naruto
Aoshi-Rurouni Kenshin
Natsume-Gakuen Alice
Yukito-Cardcaptor Sakura
Sanosuke-Rurouni Kenshin

:)

Memento Mori
07-12-2008, 10:43 AM
No. You're naming them after anime characters. There's a difference. There isn't anyone in Japan whose name is Ichigo or Naruto. Even the Japanese face palm at those names.

I wish your baby luck in this world. I can really sympathize with it. When it's born, tell it that Pengin says that their name was from random people on the Internet and that it can come to my house after being tormented at school.

I second all of this. I wish your baby the best of luck in the real world. Seriously. Anyway, here's an anime name for you that's decent. Erika. Yea, that's right, I used my own name. Oh, how about May? Or Ash?But, anyway, your baby is going to have it TOUGH. Naming it a name from Japan is one thing, naming it a name from ANIME is another.

Amray The II
07-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Name it Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV.
Ed for short. Can be used for both genders. Or their is always the option to name it Ein.

Memento Mori
07-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Name it Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV.
Ed for short. Can be used for both genders. Or their is always the option to name it Ein.

OMG, I'm naming my kid that. O: [But seriously, what if it's a girl? O_o]

Amray The II
07-12-2008, 10:56 AM
uuuuugh..Faye? ..Or Edwina? It's bound to be some useless background Anime characters name.

Memento Mori
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
uuuuugh..Faye? ..Or Edwina? It's bound to be some useless background Anime characters name.

See, Edward and Faye are reasonable names that won't be so hard on the child in the future. Naming your white boy Ichigo, not to be mean or anything, but that's just plain weird, and trust me, he'll be tormented. Babyofmine, you're only naming these kids because YOU want that, not the children. You haven't stopped to think of their future, or your own as a parent. Do you HONESTLY think that someone will not want to laugh if your girl, assuming you're white, is named Tomoyo?

Amray The II
07-12-2008, 11:14 AM
See, Edward and Faye are reasonable names that won't be so hard on the child in the future. Naming your white boy Ichigo, not to be mean or anything, but that's just plain weird, and trust me, he'll be tormented. Babyofmine, you're only naming these kids because YOU want that, not the children. You haven't stopped to think of their future, or your own as a parent. Do you HONESTLY think that someone will not want to laugh if your girl, assuming you're white, is named Tomoyo?

I agree. A Caucasian named Chika will not go down so well in a modern day school. If either you or your partner are Japanese then by all means, but if you are both just white otaku Americans or what not then please ditch this idea! Can you imagine the laughter by other children throughout registration?

If you want my advise then please call them something caucasian. Or if not then atleast an Anime character with a well-suited name such as Faye or Alice. Just don't name them something like Ichigo or Shinku unless you are moving to Asia. Yes I admit, some of these Anime names sound awesome, but just let them stick to fiction.

I have heard that it is fun to name a child but this is too much. Children are not items to name after something cool, that's what you do to a dog or a stuffed animal, but not a real new born child. But, well this is just me saying it how it probably is and how I think. You can choose to ignore this if you want. Just think twice before you tell the midwife the name for this new life.

TheAsterisk!
07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
YES, I know I can search the internet for names galore. DUH. Honestly, I wanted name suggestions from people who like the names.

"Bob" and "Larry" are vegetables from an AMERICAN cartoon show "Veggietales". Really, don't you have kids? *realizes who I'm talking to* oooohhh, right.

I really thought I would find some kindred spirits here, not so much hate.

all done.
bye-bye

(that last part was a reference to the X-files. Just so there's no confusion.)

Mods, you can close this thread now. I've seen enough.

btw, for those that did suggest the names, I appreciate the time you took. Thank you. :)
1 - If you didn't want people to react negatively to this idea of yours, you shouldn't have posted in such a relavtively public and tactless place as the internet. Most sites and forums would ridicule you far more than here.
2 - I am eighteen years of age, autistic and I'm still in high school. There is no way that I will have kids anytime soon if at all. Veggietales is so bad that I avoided it as a child, and so I had no idea. I thought Bob meant Robert and Larry meant Lawrence. You know, shortened names.
3 - The race argment was made, but I had an unrelated argument. I think it's stupid that you're naming your kids after fictional characters. It would be just as dumb to name one of 'em Obi-wan Kenobi or Clark Kent.

Ωmega
07-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Youre right, I dont have kids, because I dont want any until Im about 27 or so.

And I never "assumed" anything. I said its stupid to name your kid after a cartoon character. Yes, there are names like Bob and Larry, but do their parents name them that BECAUSE of Veggietales? No, they dont.

And they're YOUR kids. WHY do YOU care what names WE like? Are they our kids? No, they're not. So why dont you and your husband [or boyfriend, fiance, or baby's daddy depending on your situation] pick a name that you both like, instead of what OTHER people like?

Sanosuke23
07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry, *! linked to this thread elsewhere and I just cannot stop laughing.

I will try to not flame. No promises.

Knowing that someone seriously named their kid the American bastardization of the Japanese word for chestnut makes me sad and thoroughly amused.

I don't care what race you are, you tried to name your kid chestnut and failed. That alone makes you unfit for parenting.

Name the third kid whatever the Japanese word for suicide is. Trust me, you'll appreciate the irony someday.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Knowing that someone seriously named their kid the American bastardization of the Japanese word for chestnut makes me sad and thoroughly amused.

I don't care what race you are, you tried to name your kid chestnut and failed. That alone makes you unfit for parenting.

Name the third kid whatever the Japanese word for suicide is. Trust me, you'll appreciate the irony someday.
Seppuku and/or Hari-Kiri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku) would work in context. Seppuku is a word for a method of shame-based ritualized suicide, and Hara-Kiri is more informal term for the same thing (literally means "Belly Cutting").

suzumi
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Seppuku and/or Hari-Kiri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku) would work in context. Seppuku is a word for a method of shame-based ritualized suicide, and Hara-Kiri is more informal term for the same thing (literally means "Belly Cutting").

"Jisatsu" (自殺) and "Jigai" (自害) would work too.

If you are not Asian and you insist on naming your child something from an anime then I would highly suggest a name that doesn't sound so Japanese but can still have a kanji. Like, for a girl;

Karen (可憐)
Erin (恵憐)
Risa (理紗)
Mina (美奈)

I really can't think of any names for boys... One that would match a gaijin child, or one that would sound decent in English, anyway. Because, assuming that you are not Japanese, you should think of how the people around your child will pronounce his/her name.

In the end, I suppose the only advice I can give you is to not listen to some of the people who posted before me suggesting family names...

rEikAbLeU
07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Guys you know, this is just so absurd!

why do you people have to react so negatively, though i understand your point of view, it just so happen that you guys seem so harsh on her...

she wanted her child to be named like that, let her be, that's her decision, whatever happens after she totally named her child like some japanese anime character, which are not very practical, like Naruto, she has to suffer the consequences, we shouldn't act like she's the only person who chose to name her kids with anime characters...

let's just try to be more objective here...
(though i hope i'm being one...)

Amray The II
07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Guys you know, this is just so absurd!

why do you people have to react so negatively, though i understand your point of view, it just so happen that you guys seem so harsh on her...

she wanted her child to be named like that, let her be, that's her decision, whatever happens after she totally named her child like some japanese anime character, which are not very practical, like Naruto, she has to suffer the consequences, we shouldn't act like she's the only person who chose to name her kids with anime characters...

let's just try to be more objective here...
(though i hope i'm being one...)

Understand that these people and even myself were just telling her how it probably is. It was more advise than "being harsh". We were just stating our opinions on the matter and nothing more. Although, yes, some people went the wrong way about doing so. Also, judging by her last post I doubt that she will even return to see what the users have written.

Ωmega
07-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Exactly. Its HER decision. What Im asking is why does she need the opinions of strangers to make HER decision?

Diocletian
07-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm a complete anime otaku,but the kid thing is too far.What if he's a football player.He's not gonna get as much tail as he should.Here's Ichigo Carson.We anime fans take the ridicule so your kid won't have to when he wets his pants in the middle of class.Keep in mind your spouse/baby's daddy and your kids future interests.

MamaLita
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM

If you are not Asian and you insist on naming your child something from an anime then I would highly suggest a name that doesn't sound so Japanese but can still have a kanji. Like, for a girl;

Karen (可憐)
Erin (恵憐)
Risa (理紗)
Mina (美奈)

I really can't think of any names for boys... One that would match a gaijin child, or one that would sound decent in English, anyway. Because, assuming that you are not Japanese, you should think of how the people around your child will pronounce his/her name.

In the end, I suppose the only advice I can give you is to not listen to some of the people who posted before me suggesting family names...

Understand that these people and even myself were just telling her how it probably is. It was more advise than "being harsh". We were just stating our opinions on the matter and nothing more. Although, yes, some people went the wrong way about doing so. Also, judging by her last post I doubt that she will even return to see what the users have written.

Exactly. Its HER decision. What Im asking is why does she need the opinions of strangers to make HER decision?
You are each saying that she shouldn't have come here for advice, or opinions, but she didn't, she came here because it is the largest place to get IDEAS for names. Not your retarded opinions! And I notice that not a single person has even STARTED to respond to my post about what RACE the people with the names should be, go on, give it a try, and here's another Lily, what race she she be?
Retards!

Memento Mori
07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
You are each saying that she shouldn't have come here for advice, or opinions, but she didn't, she came here because it is the largest place to get IDEAS for names. Not your retarded opinions! And I notice that not a single person has even STARTED to respond to my post about what RACE the people with the names should be, go on, give it a try, and here's another Lily, what race she she be?
Retards!

Um, see, Lily is a name you'd hear everydayTomoyo Chistopherson ISN'T.Stop blocking what everyone is saying, she needs to be realistic and think of the child's future. A child isn't a pet that you can name anything. A child grows up and has a future.

Kojack
07-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Retards!

Nobody is going to play your game. You also seem to be missing part of the point, so I'll try to explain it more thoroughly.

There are no non-Asians with Asian names. It's as simple as that. There are a lot of name origins (Hebrew, for example) that are wide-spread and are not central to one particular part of the world. That's why you will see the name Noah given to many different children. But unlike the Judo-Christians, the Asians have kept to themselves for all of history and that's why we do not see whites, blacks, browns or purples with east Asian names.

And it's too late to change things; the world will probably never see a widespread adoption of Asian names except by irrational Japanophiles. Names spread because of occupation and colonization, and now that the world has been handed out and will remain complacent due to international sovereignty laws, Asian names will stay in Asia.

Oh, and by the way: your child is not an agent of change, don't even try that one. Any posts claiming otherwise will be read as "I wish I lived in Japan".

Sanosuke23
07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Retards!

I OBJECT! I did not say she shouldn't come here for advice or opinions. I merely called her a failure as a parent to elaborate on my motivation for the idea I threw out there. Oh, and look! I did indeed give her an IDEA for a name!

I don't know why you'd bunch me of all people in with these uncouth charlatans. I am personally offended, good sir.

Besides, that's like saying "Hey, I'm going to shoot my baby in the head and I want some ideas of what caliber bullet to use!" Naturally you're going to get the sane people going "Jesus Christ woman, don't shoot your baby in the head!" Being the insane person she clearly is instead of saying "Gee, maybe I shouldn't shoot my baby in the head..." she goes "WELL I DIDN'T ASK YOUR OPINION ON WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD, JUST GIVE ME IDEAS FOR HOW BIG THE BULLET SHOULD BE!"

Jigai sounds kinda cool. I nominate that as the kid's name.

小美ドクロchan
07-14-2008, 12:41 AM
.............my God, woman...I love anime as much as the next otaku but naming your child after a fictional character is taking it a TAD too far. o___________O

I once named my pet rats after my two favorite characters.

But they were RATS. Not kids. And even then, it was a bit embarrassing to tell other people what their names were. Because no one knew how to pronounce them, you see.... AND it took my geekiness to a whole new level straight out in the open. >_>;

Please don't give your baby an Asian name if that is not in your blood. It's just.....messed-up.

Evockzi
07-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Meh, Naming a Kid after something such as an Anime Char would be a bit weird indeed, but I cant say I agree with different races sticking to names that they are familiar with. Hell I'd love to have a Japanese name at least it would be interesting telling people purpose behind the name etc, instead of a Dull every day name like John, Josh etc...

As for this thread though I think there is alot of narrow minded people that need to open there horizons a bit and set out of the closet... comon the world won't bite...

Amray The II
07-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Retards!

You are one extremely rude young lady!

No, an Anime Forum is not the "largest place to get ideas for names". That is usually reserved for the child barers family, baby name books, or maybe even internet pages on "Names for a baby boy/girl". Posting in a forum and asking some random people, whom she does not know the last thing about, is not exactly the best idea when naming your own child. We are speaking realistically here, you and this babyofmine woman seem to think a majority of the people here are just causing trouble and abusing her. New Flash Honey! We were just trying to help her to drop such a silly idea.

You can go to Japan yourself. I garuntee that you will run into no person named "Hina Ichigo" or "Excel Excel" at all! Not even a Japanese person would probably name their child after an Anime character unless it is a real usable Japanese name such as Yuki, therefore it would not matter what 'race' she is, as you were stating. That is similar to a Chinese person saying "Oh! Let's name our son after someone British...How about Mr Bean? Or Sweeney Todd?".

Seriously that is not how this all works. Open your eyes and go breath in some fresh air. Also, if she really wants to name her daughter after an Anime character that much then she will do so anyway without having to read our veiws and disagree. She can by all means name her daughter Chiyo-chan if that is what she desires, but after it is signed onto the Birth Certificate their is no turning back. A new born life is not just a game or a forum, she will not be able to change her childs name in the vbPlaza or anything, it is certain. We were just telling her to think twice.

MamaLita
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm so sorry that so many of you are so pigheaded and rude. You need to grow up and learn that unusual names are not a bad thing. I'm done with this site, and all of you forum trolls. I joined this site because it looked fun, but most of you just hate anything "out of the normal", which is dumb since you are all anime fans and probably got beat up in hihh school just because of that.
To those that were nice (even if you were nice about your criticism), I wish you luck.
The rest of you can go kill yourselves.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm so sorry that so many of you are so pigheaded and rude. You need to grow up and learn that unusual names are not a bad thing. I'm done with this site, and all of you forum trolls. I joined this site because it looked fun, but most of you just hate anything "out of the normal", which is dumb since you are all anime fans and probably got beat up in hihh school just because of that.
To those that were nice (even if you were nice about your criticism), I wish you luck.
Teh Internets: Serious Business.

Also, before you go, spew some more arguments. I almost have a bingo (http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20060405.html).

rEikAbLeU
07-15-2008, 02:02 AM

i think you're right, i don't think she would come back, im not saying that all of you people are wrong for giving your opinions "BOLDLY" (i guess my spelling is right), what im saying is let's just try to be a little patient with people who understand things quite differently...

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-15-2008, 02:56 AM
i think you're right, i don't think she would come back, im not saying that all of you people are wrong for giving your opinions "BOLDLY" (i guess my spelling is right), what im saying is let's just try to be a little patient with people who understand things quite differently...
That last bit applies to her as well, and the Internet Hero who just got in a huff. Frankly, if I joined a board and asked them to give me names to abuse my children with, I wouldn't start whining and making a bunch of ad hominem attacks if they called me on it.

The idea is that if you ask people on the Internets for their opinions, they will provide them. The biggest question I have for the OP is why we aren't allowed to have contradictory opinions and point out that naming your kid Shippo is going to get him beat up. And then the whole racism card that OP and Internet Hero were playing were hilarious. It's not racism because it isn't about race. It's about culture, and naming your child of obvious European decent a stupid Japanese name is going to get him tarred and feathered.

Datenshi
07-15-2008, 05:22 AM
DH and I have named our kids after anime characters (Krillin and Kenshin)
WHAT.

I must tell you it's still illegal to use particular kanji to name children in Japan (like 悪). If that's how it is here, how would that child fare overseas, I wonder?

Amray The II
07-15-2008, 07:42 AM

Firstly, you are the one being rude. Secondly, liking anime is not what people get bullied for in school, but having unusual names after a character from one is. Thirdly, most of the users here see YOU as a troll because all you have done is type rude comments. Finally, I am too proud and awesome to just simply give up in life and wipe myself out by suicide. That is a weaklings way out.

Sanosuke23
07-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Finally, I am too proud and awesome to just simply give up in life and wipe myself out by suicide. That is a weaklings way out.

While under normal circumstances I'd agree somewhat, if you're named after an anime character I think it's a totally reasonable option.

Aki_Saku
07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Girls
Riiko- Absolute Boyfriend
Aki- Socrates in Love (This is actually a novel... Well, it was turned into a manga, but the manga kind of sucks)
Hinata- Naruto

Boys
Hideki- Chobits
Lee- Naruto (Probaly the most normal name in any of the animes I've seen)
Yuki- Fruits Basket (Generally a girl's name, but I like it as a boy's)

Although, I wouldn't reccomend naming your child after an anime character. I'm sure that a lot of names used in anime aren't used much in the real world (in Japan). Perhaps you should ask for some Japanese names?

Ruby_MoonT
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't think naming a baby after an anime character is a good idea for the baby. But if you're serious about it, then I don't think we can stop you. At least take the time to look into the meaning behind the names instead of just choosing what "sounds cool". Many Asians take time to think of a meaningful names for their babies. They have to consider the sound and the characters to match.

suzumi
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Retards!

What was wrong with my post? I even gave her decent names.

Oh, and I finally found a name for a boy (the name of the kid that lives next door to me);

Leo (利緒)

loveyourfate
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Jesus... It's not anyone's business what babyofmine does in her life now is it...
Here are a couple of names I haven't spotted on this thread yet. :)

Girl: Aoi (Strawberry panic), tenma (School rumble), Yakumo (school rumble)
boy: Yuji (shakugan no shana), Shirō (fate/stay night), Berserker (fate/stay night... kidding :D)

I hope you find a name you like, and congratulations !:D

Diocletian
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Just call the kid Rei.You can tell kids his name is in spanish.Saying it's in spanish somehow makes people say:"Oh,Okay then".i.e.Rei=Rey+King.

xXdark_angel_nekoXx
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Boys:
•Junpei - Ichigo 100%
•Syaoran - TRC, CCS

Girls:
•Konata - Lucky Star
•Aya - Ichigo 100%
•Amu - Shugo Chara!

Boys:
- Ichigo (Bleach)
- Natsume (Gakuen Alice)
- Izumi (Hana-Kimi)
- Rui (Hana Yori Dango)
- Kaname (Vampire Knight)
- Hikaru (Ouran High School Host Club)
- Kaoru (Ouran High School Host Club)

Girls:
- Karin (Bleach)
- Mizuki (Hana-Kimi)
- Sayori (Vampire Knight)
- Seiren (Vampire Knight)
- Shizuka (Vampire Knight)
- Maria (Vampire Knight)

i agree with all of the above.

TheAsterisk!
07-19-2008, 04:27 PM
1 - I prefer honest, blunt, and maybe even tactless to "rude," but whatever.
2 - Unusual names don't begin to describe your idea here. I already said why in earlier posts, as have several others.
3 - Go ahead and leave. By the way, a troll is not just anyone who disagrees with you. I'm sure you can Google up a complete definition.
4 - This site is fun so long as you don't take opposed views and arguments personally.
5 - Anime isn't "normal?" Wow.
6 - Some people here don't like all anime and tend to amble about certain areas. Please don't assume we're all fanatics.
7 - Actually, I've found high school to be much more civilized than junior high school, and when I got beat up there it was always because I had a big mouth, not any geekiness I displayed.
8 - You seem to think that any opinions contradicting your own were cruel, so who was nice and opposed to your names for your children?
9 - Suicide is not what one resorts to upon the opponent's retreat.

Robin Sena
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
For boys:
Spike & Jet (Cowboy Bebop)
Hibiki (Vandread)
Batou (GITS: SAC)
Light (Death Note)

For girls:
Meia, Misty, Barnette, Gascogne & Jura (Vandread)
Faye (Cowboy Bebop)
Robin (Witch Hunter Robin)
Madlax (Madlax)

Robin Sena
07-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Nobody is going to play your game. You also seem to be missing part of the point, so I'll try to explain it more thoroughly.

There are no non-Asians with Asian names. It's as simple as that. There are a lot of name origins (Hebrew, for example) that are wide-spread and are not central to one particular part of the world. That's why you will see the name Noah given to many different children. But unlike the Judo-Christians, the Asians have kept to themselves for all of history and that's why we do not see whites, blacks, browns or purples with east Asian names.

And it's too late to change things; the world will probably never see a widespread adoption of Asian names except by irrational Japanophiles. Names spread because of occupation and colonization, and now that the world has been handed out and will remain complacent due to international sovereignty laws, Asian names will stay in Asia.

Oh, and by the way: your child is not an agent of change, don't even try that one. Any posts claiming otherwise will be read as "I wish I lived in Japan".Right. So what else is new......?:ninja:

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Jesus... It's not anyone's business what babyofmine does in her life now is it...
Here are a couple of names I haven't spotted on this thread yet. :)

Girl: Aoi (Strawberry panic), tenma (School rumble), Yakumo (school rumble)
boy: Yuji (shakugan no shana), Shirō (fate/stay night), Berserker (fate/stay night... kidding :D)

I hope you find a name you like, and congratulations !:D
If she had instead written a thread asking about whether to beat her children with a bokken or a kendo stick, would is still be her own business what she did?

Sanosuke23
07-23-2008, 08:14 PM
boy: Yuji (shakugan no shana), Shir (fate/stay night), Berserker (fate/stay night... kidding :D)

I am SO naming my kid Berserker, especially if they're big and fussy.

Middle name, though. I don't wanna ruin the kid's life THAT much. Kinda like Penn Jilette and the idea behind his kid's middle name being Crimefighter, my kid will be able to say "You don't want to piss me off, man. Berserker is my middle name!"

starchaser
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh fishcakes.

I totally knew I shouldn't forget to log in, because I missed this beauty of a thread.

I named my hamster after Kiki from Kiki's Delivery service. she could use that, and it fits her K theme.

But really?? Really, must she? Dear lord.

My surname is Huxley-Jones and there's a cartoon character here from the late 80s called Huxley Pig. That was bad enough!

HunterJJ Lolz
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
www.wikipedia.com - One stop site for baby names!

BoiledFart
09-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Your kids will enjoy a lifetime of being picked on due to their stupid names thanks to your pointless actions.

Dude lay off no need some peaple like that type of name it doesnt matter and its there choice!!

Cloudy Kusanagi
10-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I've always liked the name Togusa ( from Gits..obviously ^^ ) but would I name my kid that? no I wouldnt...would I be stupid enough in a drunken state of euphoria to change my name to that? probably.

although Togusa John Norman makes me sound like a shifty pervert tbh.

Rena
10-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I agree that its a stupid idea. But it IS her choice. Its the kid's name. It's not like she is really gonna shoot her baby in the head. Big difference.

Yay, now I get to be attacked... T_T;; Oh well.. just wanted to give my opinion...

Bishop-[Ps.Inc]
10-02-2008, 12:03 AM

what a hater bro everyone has there own choices and they will only get picked on cause there is people in the world like you. im sad to say that you are in my awsome Country of New Zealand. proberly just the fact you are from wellington aye???

Sanosuke23
10-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I agree that its a stupid idea. But it IS her choice. Its the kid's name. It's not like she is really gonna shoot her baby in the head. Big difference.

Yay, now I get to be attacked... T_T;; Oh well.. just wanted to give my opinion...

Bold for emphasis there.

I'm not going to attack you, but I am going to point out that it'll be hard on the kid going through school socially with a name like that. The worst part is, what if the kid hates anime? I know if MY parents named me after an anime, I'd hate it as time went on and got made fun of because of it. Then it'll be even WORSE, because he or she will be forced to agree with the people making fun of them, and it'll probably turn into resentment towards their parents(in this case legitimate, not the whiny little crap most teenagers resent their parents for), and at worse may make the kid incredibly depressed.

Now he's named Kenshin AND he's emo. He's a suicide waiting to happen.

Android 19-90
10-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Let me reflect.....I knew someone who called himself "Mike" but his real name was Yamcha (DB/DBZ). I knew a girl named Pontiac.
My friend knew a girl named Lexus, another named Corvette, and another named Topramenisha. (Top Ramen!?!) Also there's a dude who legally changed his name to Optimus Prime (That's just his first name)! And with celebrity kids with such retarded names why not name a kid after an anime character, especially a Cool one. I wanna name my kid L. That would be Awesome!
My id-erz are:
-Zim (male)(Invader Zim)
-Gaz (female) (Invader Zim)
-Sora (unisex) (Kingdom Hearts)
-Bass (Bay-sss) (Megaman series) [I know it's not anime but, just saying!]
-Roxus (male) (Kingdom Hearts)
**Also, think about it, be named after a bad *** anime character, or a normal name that most likely originated from the Bible or something?

wowzabunny
10-02-2008, 03:35 AM
i suggest
dragonball z for a boy
and maybe negima! for a girl
it depends

~*Starleaf*~
10-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Suuuch otakus, man.xDD

Just kidding.xDD You should name it Haruhi. Yes.

God commands you. For a boy, you should name it Yuji.