PDA

View Full Version : Non-Manga Reading

Happi Giraffe!
06-30-2008, 05:59 AM
So, what do you people read besides manga? Like, regular book-type reading? I replaced regular books with manga a long time ago, but i was just wondering what you guys read besides manga. I still like some regular books, like the Twilight Series for example.

Sorry if there were lots of other threads like this!

Kojack
06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I used to read the Magic:The Gathering novels. I think I have about 27 or so, but I stopped after the Fifth Dawn.

I'm an English major so I do a lot of reading. But none of them are any good because the people over in head office often confuse 'boring' for 'deep major themes'. But the play Master Harold... and the Boys was pretty good.

But for leisure reading, I read this amazing series called The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker. It's fantasy sort of like Lord of the Rings, but in my opinion a lot better. It has war, doomsday, etc.

I've also read Moby Dick and I'm currently on Purgatory in The Divine Comedy.

Also, newspaper.

~Zetromis~
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Hmm...Edgar Allan Poe works mostly...Nothing other than that conventionally...

Ezzy
06-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I dont read anything besides manga now but i did used to read fantasy books like the Hobbit and the Harry Potter series

Drifter Uk
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
i usually read sci fi war novels, but i havent actually read a book for about 6 months, because ive been watching stargate when i would usually read, its less effort than having an imagination

IchigoKiss
06-30-2008, 01:28 PM
I have read a lot of books but heres a few
All the Series of Unfortunate Events, the 1st book of the Twilight series
and thisweird book called the Enchanted Lake...

~*Red*~
06-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Me? I like reading military history books most of the time.

Ratiasu
06-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Reading? Haha...Yah, i read Official Xbox Magazine, Game Informer, and Video Game Dialogue

Itsuwari No Tengoku
06-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I like reading anything by Tamora Peirce, the Twilight series is good too.

Diocletian
06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Nothing.Nothing else is that interesting.Biking magazines occasianaly.Don't give me the MANGA is for chidren speech my mom gave me that one already.

Sailor Mystery
06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Twilight series, Maximum Ride series, Among the Hidden series
They are all awsome!!!!!!

Dottie.
06-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Everyone reads the twilight series >.> my whole school just went through this massive twilight craze. Anywho, I read the Anita Blake vampire hunter novels, Gone with the wind ^^;;; and at the moment, The picture of Dorian Gray.

Miyukara
06-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I read many non-manga books.
The one's i mainly look out for though are the ones written by Tamora Pierce and Christopher Rice.

Books by Susan Fletcher, Emily Rodda, V.C. Andrews, Arthur Golden, Elizabeth Flock, Stephanie Meyer and Orson Scott Card are also very good.

keezy.
06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Off the top of my head...

Authors with a series of books:
Stephanie Meyer
Ellen Hopkins
Sarah Dessen
Laurie faria Stolarz
Darren Shan

Books:
A Mango-Shaped Space by;; Wendy Mass
A Little Friendly Advice by;; Siobhan Vivian
Story of a Girl by;; Sara Zarr

Hideki Motosuwa.
06-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't read that much(even though I have an entire mini library of over hundreds of books). I mostly read books that deal with the human body and biographies on one particular man's life *coughBruce Leecough* Other than that, I don't read anything other than manga 0.0

Eikoseisui
06-30-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't read a whole lot, but when I do I mainly like to read horror and crime novels. Some of the books I read in my AP English class were pretty good, though, so my tastes are starting to expand a little bit.

Lavos
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Terry Pratchett: Discworld Series
R.A. Salvatore: Drizzt Series

demon_girl_
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Crank, Burned, Glass, and Impulse- by Ellen Hopkins (Crank and Glass go together, and Burned and Impulse are two other really good books by her)
Th1rteen R3asons why- by Jay Asher
Sight- by Adrienne Maria Vrettos
If i should die before i wake- by Han Nolan
It's kind of a funny story- by Ned Vizzini

Ratiasu
07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
i Just remembered, i read books for book reports at school. im not much of a reader. But when i find a book i like, i'll read it non-stop. It's been a while, since i've actually finished reading a book.

Famahama
07-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Currently: Starbucks Nation - Chris Ver Wiel
Going to: The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
On Booking: A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
Dropped, may reread: Shadowmancer - G.P Taylor

Favorite writer:
Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner)

Haoie
07-01-2008, 02:08 AM
I read ebooks at work, from Project Gutenburg. They're quite old titles, where the copyright has expired.

It helps pass the time.

tenzo_groupie
07-01-2008, 03:03 AM
I'll just about read anything I can get my hands on, from novels to newspapers. Reading extends knowledge.:D

inOue
07-01-2008, 04:15 AM
i don't read much.. but i read the harry potter series.. and i've just finished twilight by stephenie meyer.. so there..>.<