PDA

View Full Version : Tekken vs Soul Calibur

Bloomingdale
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Hmmm... this is a hard decision for me... They're both made by namco...both fighting games....hmmmm...

well which game do you like best???

Amray
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Tekken. Although I still adore Soul Calibur.
Both decent games but I got into Tekken a lot more and just generally found it to be a lot more better. The controls were easier and stuff.

███
06-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I think Soul Calibur has a lot more originality to it. Most people will find themselves going for Tekken only because of it's history.

I don't see much of a change in Tekken then I did when it first ever came out. Just better graphics, more characters and more mini games.

KillerDragonX
06-26-2008, 09:09 PM
i would have to go with soul calibur on the fact that they have more things to unlock and do, plus you can create your own character, and they are branching out more going into star wars so yea, soul calibur hands down

StabWound
06-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Tekken by far. Soul Calibur focuses to much on adding random characters instead of focusing on their movesets, making a lot of the characters broken.

bakakame
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Soul Calibur.

Seriously, what kind of competition is Tekken? Even as bad as SC3 was, it stood head and shoulders above Tekken. Hard to believe they're from the same company. (not really, Different dev teams, I know)

goddragon
06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Soul calibur

Amray
06-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Most people will find themselves going for Tekken only because of it's history.

Not for me.
I actually hated all of the other Tekken games until 'Tekken 5'. I have 'Soul Calibur II' but I still find Tekken more simple and stuff.

Dottie.
06-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Well soul calibur is more interesting character/weapon wise;... I'd say Soul Calibur cause it looks cooler o.o

Yuki Atsuma
06-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I got to say Soul Calibur, tekken is a really good game but the only one i really liked was tekken 5.

Coffee_Danger
06-28-2008, 05:00 AM
I would have to say Soul Calibur, due to the fact that the fighting feels more complex to me. I’ve been playing Tekken since it had first came out, and four Tekken’s later, I Noticed that a majority of the “fighting moves” in the Tekken series, are exactly the same as the first game.

OminousCloud
06-28-2008, 08:07 AM
I like both. Tekken is for hand to hand combat and Soul Calibur is for weapons combat.

NorthOfTime
06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Tekken. But soul caliber had some good points. Then again i started playing tekken when Tekken 3 came out and at that time it was flippin awsome.

Ezzy
06-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Im only a fan of the first 2 Tekkens, other than that is blah to me. Im big fan of SC because im a big fan of fighting with weapons and being able to choose a character this has my favorite type of weapon makes it more enjoyable. Plus they get special characters like Link, Spawn, Yoda, Vader, and such (dont want to mention Heihachi he was horrible)

NorthOfTime
06-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Im only a fan of the first 2 Tekkens, other than that is blah to me. Im big fan of SC because im a big fan of fighting with weapons and being able to choose a character this has my favorite type of weapon makes it more enjoyable. Plus they get special characters like Link, Spawn, Yoda, Vader, and such (dont want to mention Heihachi he was horrible)
Yoshimitsu?

Anime Forum
06-29-2008, 01:30 PM
They are both good so I can't choose between them.

Kobbler
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Me with Ling Xaiou where unstoppable back when Tekken 3 was big. Thus my love still lives with that franchise. I own almost all of them.

Ezzy
06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Yoshimitsu?

Yeah i didnt mention him because he appeared in all three games so i didnt count him as a special guest character. Cause in that sense Necrid also deserves a shout out as well

Kobbler
06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Its funny I was looking up Yoshimitsu informationn on Wikipedia and there are apparently two of them, the one in Soul Caliber is the original founder of the clan of ninjas, and the one from Tekken is the new Yoshimitsu. Apparently the title gets passed from generation to generation. Just a fun little fact, lol.

Ezzy
06-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Its funny I was looking up Yoshimitsu informationn on Wikipedia and there are apparently two of them, the one in Soul Caliber is the original founder of the clan of ninjas, and the one from Tekken is the new Yoshimitsu. Apparently the title gets passed from generation to generation. Just a fun little fact, lol.

Hmmm......did not know that

AmySorel™
07-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Honestly, Soul Calibur. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Amy Sorel. Its original... Not that Tekken isn't, but... Tekken is becoming kinda old. Its still a great game though.

Lando
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Soul Calibur ... even more now with Darth Vader

Kawairashii hikari
07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I like fighting games with more hand to hand combat, so Tekken for meh. I've played Tekken for the longest time ever... cause my best friend, she would make meh play whenever i came over her house. Although I do like Soul Calibur, just like Tekken more.

WolfShot
07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Meh, SC is okay but nothing's funner than beating the unholy hell out of someone with your bare hands(And feet). I've played almost all the Tekkens and I gotta say, the fun never stops. Tekken ftw! =D

poison.ivy
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm not really into video games, but I happened to play both of those and I must say, Soul Calibur is much better for me. I really enjoy playing it! ^^

Otosu
07-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I remain faithful to Tekken! I've never played Soul Calibur, but I've seen it and it never piqued my interest.

Ashinrio
07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Soul caliber is way more complex and more involved. Mostly because of Tower attack in campaign compared to all fights, you now have strategic attacks before you reach a fight. On the Side note, soul caliber has custom characters and more hit combos.

KnifeParty
07-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Soul Calibur
Until Tekken 5 came along.
They made a lot more adjustments on movesets and I found it more enjoyable.

Hungry man
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Have to go with Soul Calibur but Tekken is not far behind.

sataned
08-01-2008, 08:36 AM
i just got soul calibur yesterday and i must say .. ITS really really good...
i likes the create your own character thing... i made HE-MAN and BRUCE LEE lol i'll post pics of em ....

Tifa Rokkuhato
08-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Most people will often find them selves going to Tekken because of it's battle system after all most of Tekke's gameplay means juggling the opponent in the air to take huge amount of HP while in SC it is very difficult to actually juggle the opponent making the game a bit harder then Tekken. Actually in SC I think it's almost impossible to take HP from the opponent by juggling them; it's pretty damn hard in SC to keep an opponent air bound anyways. It takes a bit more in SC to defeat the opponent any other way than just juggling them in the air.
In SC, there the weapon selection, and even custom character making which I find awesome so my vote would have to be Soul Calibur.

sataned
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Most people will often find them selves going to Tekken because of it's battle system after all most of Tekke's gameplay means juggling the opponent in the air to take huge amount of HP while in SC it is very difficult to actually juggle the opponent making the game a bit harder then Tekken. Actually in SC I think it's almost impossible to take HP from the opponent by juggling them; it's pretty damn hard in SC to keep an opponent air bound anyways. It takes a bit more in SC to defeat the opponent any other way than just juggling them in the air.
In SC, there the weapon selection, and even custom character making which I find awesome so my vote would have to be Soul Calibur.

ur nuts.... i do its all the time! i mean i cant really get past like 4 hits but im positive that there are SC pros out there that can bust some nasty combos on ya while ur in the airs...
tekken honestly feels like the same game to me, just........ suckier...

Gouki
08-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I would have to say Tekken, SC for me it just feels like its just a button masher it really dont take any skill to be good.

Tifa Rokkuhato
08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
ur nuts.... i do its all the time! i mean i cant really get past like 4 hits but im positive that there are SC pros out there that can bust some nasty combos on ya while ur in the airs...
tekken honestly feels like the same game to me, just........ suckier...

Perhaps some out there can go up to 4 hits while having you in the sir, but none of them as powerful as to have your health bar down by half...by the time you hit the ground again.
I'm SC pro and I tell you now...I don't need air bound hits to win...don't know why people always go for those anyways *shrug* =/

Gizoku
08-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Really close with this one...but I go for Tekken, story line, fighting techniques and meelee levels are what I like in fighting games xD

Amray The II
08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I prefer the Tekken series. Soul Calibur is still amazing though.

Sagat
08-02-2008, 03:00 PM
All right .. Going to do something crazy and ignore the graphics and not pick a game based on a friggen Star Wars character or cause it looks cooler. Being an avid fighting game enthusiast here is my decision..

Tekken is great, I enjoyed Tekken - especially Tekken 3, pretty much the defining moment of the series. Four was okay, Five was ... yeah. The next Tekken will probably make or break the series, if they keep pulling a Capcom and rehashing over and over they're screwed, that may have flown back in the 90's but not now.

I was going to choose Tekken at first actually, based on the backstory, plot and what not of the characters, and their unique base of moves. Then I thought about it, and realized that once you got by generic moves, the characters in Tekken have very few unique combos/signature techniques. I only initially thought of Tekken as having a wide range of move because I was primarily a King player in Tekken. Him aside, no one else really stood out - except maybe Lei. And the juggling .. Hwoarang..Eddy Gordo.. Oh wait a minute, these were the cheapest damn characters in the game, and juggling endlessly is not a fighting game, it's just retarded.

So, looking into Soul Calibur, which I am still relatively new to, I must say the story is also pretty interesting and unique. More so, there is a wide array of characters with differing techniques but especially , differing weapons.. And they all use their different weapons in very different ways. Swords, huge swords, nunchuks, bo staff, spears, quite a lot of variety. I am primarily a Siegfried player, and I experimented with Darth Vader and Mitsurugi. Talk about starting over again, getting used to their different techniques and using their weapons - even though lightsaber and sword is basically the same class.

When you throw in the ability to parry, repel, deflect, just impacts and what not, every unique character becomes just a bit more unique .. and once you get the hang of doing such moves, adds an incredible amount of depth and strategy to the game.

On top of the unique characters, weapons, and techniques you even get the option of creating and customizing your own.. and then using it online. That is something Tekken hasn't even come close to offering.

So ..... With all that in mind, as much as I loved multi-parting geeks, jerks and losers into oblivion with King, I'll have to go with Siegfried and Soul Calibur.

Plus I liked the way they explained the presence of Vader and Apprentice.

Mysterium
08-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Soul Calibur. I loved the 3rd one with a passion. I love the create character function.

norrlandsguld
08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Tekken because it's really a nice game to play
and the characters are cool too

DeeviousDemon
08-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I am a Tekken enthusiast since 1998......but i have to admit Soul Calibur is from the story/gamesplay/characters/move set alot more evolved than tekken.

Lord Tsukuyomi
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Tekken all the way, Soul Caliber is more of a button mashing game (if you don't know what you are doing) A newbie to the game can button mash and he might just beat you, but with Tekken you can button mash but since the moveset is very complex, a button masher wouldn't stand a chance against an experience player. Tekken takes more skill and thats why I like it better.

Hekse
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I like both but i'm going to have to go with Soul Calibur.

[BlackDeath]
09-16-2008, 08:45 AM
I think Soul Calibur has a lot more originality to it. Most people will find themselves going for Tekken only because of it's history.

I don't see much of a change in Tekken then I did when it first ever came out. Just better graphics, more characters and more mini games.Agreed, Soul Caliber was the first game to use weapon based combat effectively in a fighting game, the character customization is a lot more superior with more choices than that of Tekkens. Tekken is slow and non-responsive most of the time I find. Though Tekken 5 changed that a tiny bit and we don't have a Tekken 6 arcarde near me so can't judge the sixth game. What has Tekken actually brought to the genre? Different characters, stages but no new game mechanics.

dragoninja
10-22-2008, 01:39 PM
love tekken, always have, always will

have the complete series and refuse to part with it
also have the tekken movie ... great anime, a must see

soul calubur came out on the dreamcast and didnt pick it up untill it came out on playstation and by then i was hooked on tekken

interesting that soul calibur uses tekken characters in there game

LadyAmy
10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm addicted to tekken... so i have to say that tekken it's tha best! <3

Dark-Sasuke
11-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I think soul calibur was only good on the dreamcast, and tekken was great till it got to the ps2, i'd say Tekken was better though, only to the fact that jins theme on tekken 3 give it that edge

The Ultimate One K Dash
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
in a battle between tekken and soul caliber...id have to say tekken wins. Only because it has a fighting female panda who kicks uber a**

SigmaSD
11-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I would have to say Tekken, SC for me it just feels like its just a button masher it really dont take any skill to be good.

She's right. Whenever I play Soul Caliber with a newbie, they're constantly pressing random buttons, making me go on the defense. It gets really irritating. But the game isn't that bad either. Tekken has better mechanics and there are different fighting styles, so I pick Tekken.

PS- Is Link a playable character in Soul Caliber IV?

Brojasu
11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
I prefer Soul caliber, but I still love me sum Tekken, especially tag tournament

STEAMedtodeath
11-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Tekken has always been a favorite of mine, since number one. Sould Caliber is fun but not number one in my book. 2-D fighters are the best anyway.