PDA

View Full Version : Trading Card Translation plz!

Ertai87
06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
So I picked this card up at the Pokemon Center in Tokyo a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to translate it. It's a Pokemon TCG card and, while I no longer play the game, it would be neat to be able to show it off XD However, I don't know what one of its abilities say. Here's the text:

おかいもの
自分の山札の「ポケモンのどうぐ」を1枚、相手プレイヤーに見せてから、手札に加える。 その後、山札を切 る。

Having played TCGs for about 13 years of my life, here's the closest I can figure, although there's a verb missing so I can't be sure:

Going Shopping
Search your deck for [something], show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Anyaaa
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
「ポケモンのどうぐ」= Pokemon tool = item?
Ahhh whats the word... trainer card? Like potions and whatnot?

Hummm that missing verb is interesting. Maybe it's just 'take one' rather than 'search for one' though? Otherwise you could just find the best card ever.

Ahaha. I'm judging this by knowledge (or lack thereof) of Pokemon cards rather than Japanese language. I need to gtfo xD

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. It is midnight and I am hyperactive.
m(_ _)m

Ertai87
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, the "Pokemon Tool" thing confused me too.

In the TCG world, "take one" is equivalent to "search for one". Also, there would be no point to shuffling the deck if you didn't search for it first. That's how these things tend to work..."search for X, then shuffle your deck."

Rizuchan
06-24-2008, 10:10 PM
According to Wikipedia, Pokemon Tool cards are a special kind of Trainer card. Apparently they're equivalent to hold items in the game, like berries and stuff, that you can attach to a Pokemon and they can use. I'm not familiar with the rules involving tool cards since I haven't played the Pokemon TCG since 2000 or so but that seems to be the gist of it.

Ertai87
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Ah, I haven't played since about then either. I quit just before Pokemon-e was introduced. That's probably why I didn't recognize the reference.

Is my translation right though?

Datenshi
06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Yes, I think you got the idea pretty well correct.