PDA

View Full Version : More about Net Neutrality

Sasurai Halibel
06-09-2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XPiqhN_Ns

Video in a nutshell;
More is out in the open now, turns out every main ISP is taking part in this, and they're planning to cut out Neutrality on the internet in 2012. This will mean that the internet is going to become much more like TV. There's going to be the main channels which you will pay so much a month for, these will only be the biggest sites who pay the ISPs alot. If you want smaller, less known sites, you have to pay more a month, like paying to view more channels on your TV. This means that every site which costs so much that nobody will pay to view it will shut down, they won't bother anymore. Why would they?

If you run a small site or a blog or something, you're going to get 0 web views. Not because you don't advertise enough, but because nobody will want to pay so much just to view your site, and the millions of others who will be denied views.

Haoie
06-09-2008, 01:58 AM
It's not going to happen.

Netizens, such as myself, will oppose it to the bitter end.

Sanosuke23
06-09-2008, 08:43 AM
If it did happen, I'd imagine at least one neutral ISP would show up and take a chunk of users.

Pix the Skull Kid
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I get a feeling that if this were to happen, people would stop using the net, they would lose money, and have to revert back to what it is now.

Already paying for the internet, we don't need to pay just to LOOK at a site and end up doing nothing on it if we don't like it, and lose money.

DaSOCOM
06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that move would get hit by just about every nerd in the world. The ISPs have no major ground to do so. The only costs associated with viewing websites is the purchase/maintenance of the routing equipment to get you there, and those are pretty stable costs.

The only reason I could see for ISPs to have a half-valid reason for this is because an overload of users could cause equipment to fail out, in which case I don't see how they are putting the money we pay them monthly to good use if they are not taking care of their equipment properly.

Also, next time you post something like this, make sure it's from a reputable source and not some amateur sexpert chick and her pot-smoking conspiracy theorist friends.

Peace,
DaSOCOM

Ωmega
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Also, next time you post something like this, make sure it's from a reputable source and not some amateur sexpert chick and her pot-smoking conspiracy theorist friends.

Peace,
DaSOCOM
This is excatly why I dont believe the story. I mean, if I were planning on turning the internet into a tv-like service, why would I contact THEM? I think Id contact someone with a tad more influence over the internet.

Besides, Im sure someone from a company like Google would leak out some hard evidence that it was going to be done.

At any rate, its insane to think that people are going to pay their phone company for internet service AND pay to view certain channels. It would have been easier to just bump up the price for internet connections.