PDA

View Full Version : Would you burn your ensign?

DOOM!
06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Allright, so immagine there's a demostrative marathon thing, where You have been chosen to guard a burning torch and the flag on the top of a tower building till eve comes. The torch must be lit while it's up there, so people from miles away can notice the event. When evening strikes, you'll have to come down with both the flag and torch, and give them to the guy who's gonna jog the whole town with them. The flag is what represents the people, nation, cause, sexuality, community or girl scout band which you are part of (you choose which), and this event is dedicated to them.
Now, as it gets dark, you notice the flame's slowly diminishing, and won't last till the time comes beacuse the cloth on it is burned out. So you'll have to fuel it up with one of the only cloths ther are up there: your flag, or your clothes. Otherwise, with the torch out, the whole event will be a total fiasco.
Would you burn the flag, and risk causing a symbolic chain reaction, or would you burn one of your clothing and risk becoming a disgrace to your people as you come down with the flag and torch (partly) naked?

Sagat
06-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Burn my shirt, probably the safest thing to do.

Perpetual Specter
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree with M Bison. I'd burn my shirt too. I think it'd be better than burning the flag and have fewer bad reactions from it.

Chocobo
06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Hmm, I'd burn my unneeded jacket that I wear at all times just because I hate tanning on accident [and period for that matter]. O.o;;

Eris
06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
The flag. A more meaningless rag of cloth I've never seen.

DOOM!
06-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Haha!

But people, also be aware of the consequences that follow as well. The event is FOR whatever you stand for, are proud of, or want to imply to the world! And there's people there to support it too. Just that, by burning the flag, you'll turn them all against you, and by disgracing yourself, they will cease to support You in it.

-Kitsune-
06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Even with what McDoom said, I'd still burn a piece of my clothing. If I let the thing go out, everyone is gonna be dissapointed and upset/mad but if I burn some of my own clothes, the effect wouldn't be quite so bad.

Hmm, I'd burn my unneeded jacket that I wear at all times just because I hate tanning on accident [and period for that matter]. O.o;;
Same for me. As a female, I can't really take my shirt off to burn it as easily as guys can so I'd burn my jacket if I had it.

DOOM!
06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Same for me. As a female, I can't really take my shirt off to burn it as easily as guys can so I'd burn my jacket if I had it.
But you weren't wearing any jacket. When you came in the afternoon, it was 100'F outside, you took shade behind a wall with a can of coke and a cheesburger till evening came.

-Kitsune-
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
But you weren't wearing any jacket. When you came in the afternoon, it was 100'F outside, you took shade behind a wall with a can of coke and a cheesburger till evening came.
Hm, then I think I'd still burn my shirt or something =/

...You're really getting creative with this story, aren't you?

Eris
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
But people, also be aware of the consequences that follow as well. The event is FOR whatever you stand for, are proud of, or want to imply to the world! And there's people there to support it too. Just that, by burning the flag, you'll turn them all against you, and by disgracing yourself, they will cease to support You in it.

Ah, but mine is an ironfist reign of terror. If they don't support me, I'll line them up and shoot them.

Azel
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
In this situation, either of the three perceptible options (burning clothes, burning flag, or simply letting torch diminish) will be percieved as a personal desecration on ones own nation. These people just don't seem open to compensate so I would just say go with the authoritarianism thing and break out the shotgun. With you controlling the specifics of the story, it seems like you're just trying to make the person inevitably doomed. These people are a bit too zealous with the whole nationalism thing.

Khanxay
06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll take the girl scout scenario and let the flame burn out and the tell everyone "Is that why you all left me up there all alone?"

Sanosuke23
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd burn my pants. A more meaningless rag of cloth I've never seen.

But seriously, pants suck. I would then give a rousing speech about how I sacrificed my pants to keep the spirit of the people alive, ask if none of them would have been willing to sacrifice for the cause, and thus I guilt myself into a place in the group's grand heroes.

Kojack
06-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I'd burn my shirt to avoid the backlash of hate from burning the flag. But, I personally would have no problem if the flag was used as fuel for a positive symbol such as a torch. To me the burning of a flag is more about the intent behind it, not the act itself.

law~
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM

agree!!! but i would be afraid of the ppl that would look for me and kick my a** XP

KuroTan
06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Let the flame die. It's been up for most of the day anyway, anyone who might have cared would have seen it already. Then ask the guy who'll carry it for matches when I go down.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Hm, then I think I'd still burn my shirt or something =/

Dr.McDoom is this thread's DM. His word is law.

I cast Continual Flame on the torch, Greater Teleport to the end of the route, and ready a Prestidigitation spell on the bonfire/torch thing at the end.

Hideki Motosuwa.
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
McDoom, you shouldv'e tunred this thread into a poll!! xD Anyways, I'd burn my shirt, and show off(not really 0.0) or because I amost always wear a jakcet(except when it's really hot out) then I'd burn that haha!! :D

Overlord Darth Fluffles
06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Well...let's see. Burn an article of clothing, let them gaze upon that exposed limp (Which they are unworthy of) or destroy the symbol by burning the flag.

Me, I'd burn the flag, go the town face them. Give them some big rant how I burnt the flag in a hatred for them, then throw the torch into a nearby house, if I can. If not, I'll put it out or try to light someone on fire. THEN I'll deal with their reaction. If it's being shunned...woo. If death, YEAH!

May seem stupid, illogical but hey to me it'd be worth it for the amusement.

Pix the Skull Kid
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd burn my jacket or sweater.. Seeing as I'm a girl I wouldn't want to be seen in public in front of millions without a shirt.

DOOM!
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Ohoooo, Lionsgate Pictures just called me this morning; they say they want me to write the scripts for Saw 5.

I'd burn my jacket or sweater.. Seeing as I'm a girl I wouldn't want to be seen in public in front of millions without a shirt.
Like i said, you don't have a jacked; unless you were born with it on and can't take it off at all, you'll have to burn your pants. You'll have to burn your shirt instead, and go exposed. Now you understand the meaning of disgrace.

These people just don't seem open to compensate
That's because they're fanatic sheep. You are the only one that could make a difference.

With you controlling the specifics of the story, it seems like your just trying to make the person inevitably doomed.
Or my name isn't Dr.McDoom! (lol intended) Well i could let this happen to a random fool from the crowd and achieving your goals a lot more easily, but instead, i'll test your faith and dedication to your beliefs. You see, being one of the flock is too easy: all you have to do is be there and be Pro, to increase the number of activits - where there's numbers, there's power. What if every one in the flock would be tested this way? How powerfull will that flock be then?

I'll take the girl scout scenario and let the flame burn out and the tell everyone "Is that why you all left me up there all alone?"
If the flame goes out, kiss your dreams of glory/acceptance/pride/cookies goodbye! You an your peers will remain a minority! It won't be your fault, sure, the torch went out by itself, but nobody will dare start an event like this again.

Dr.McDoom is this thread's DM. His word is law.

I cast Continual Flame on the torch, Greater Teleport to the end of the route, and ready a Prestidigitation spell on the bonfire/torch thing at the end.
Greater Teleportation fails!(due to your armor class)
I summon a Fire Extiguisher Elemental near the torch.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Greater Teleportation fails!(due to your armor class)
I summon a Fire Extiguisher Elemental near the torch.

What? AC? That doesn't even make sense, Wizards don't wear armor.

Fine, then I cast Expeditious Retreat, and cast Dismissal on the Fire Extinguisher Elemental, sending him back to The Planes of Infinite Firefighting.

DaSOCOM
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd just take off all of my clothing, burn them in order starting with my underwear, then my socks, shoes, pants, and then shirt. In the morning I would charge down the steps with torch in one hand and flag in the other, like the Celts of old.

Peace,
DaSOCOM

DOOM!
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
What? AC? That doesn't even make sense, Wizards don't wear armor.

Fine, then I cast Expeditious Retreat, and cast Dismissal on the Fire Extinguisher Elemental, sending him back to The Planes of Infinite Firefighting.
But they can wear the free-for-all chainshirt.
I cast Mage's Disjunction on the whole pinnacle, disjointing your Expeditous Retreat and Continual Flame.
A trap door opens somewhere and three Mothmen from the prophecy come out to devour the flag, and your guise, to leave you in your birthday attire.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Wizards rarely bother with armor, because of Arcane Spell Failure. And if they did, they'd at least wear something lighter like Padded instead of getting a 20% Failure rate from Chainshirt.

I cast Haste and Minor Image, and Horrid Wilting your Mothmen.

Baka
06-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree.

I would burn the flag and then let the flame go out just to make burning the flag pointless. And just for fun I would strip down to my underwear and do a baka dance :p