PDA

View Full Version : Kanji Game?

Ertai87
05-29-2008, 06:17 AM
OK, so I'm in Japan atm and I want to buy a Kanji DS game. As a native Canadian and purebred 白人 (I seem to remember that's derogatory, but I'm prefacing what I'm about to say by saying I'm ignorant), I don't know Kanji (not entirely true...I can read about 200 by meaning and about 80 by sound), so I want to buy a DS game that teaches me Kanji. Any suggestions?

LavaBug
05-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Hmm I know this is not helpful...
But I know there are at least two (one's being advertised in the trains right now...) I see if I get the names somewhere

Rizuchan
05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I want to say that Jlist.com sells some, but I might just be thinking of DS Kanji dictionaries. But they have a lot of interesting Japanese study tools so I'd think if anyone would have them, they would.

Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, the one I recommend the most is 250万人の漢検. It's not for beginners, but it really helps if you can read well, but can't write. I know that that's a big problem for me. This game helped me a lot with stroke order and such.

However, if you're looking for just a standard kanji learning game, I recommend... eh, well it doesn't really teach kanji but it sure is fun! It's called 脳を鍛える大人のDSトレーニング, and it's just a fun game that almost quizzes you. It's a lot like Brain Age.

This also isn't a game, but I noticed you also posted a thread about a kanji dictionary. Actually, 漢字そのままDS楽引辞典 is like a dictionary on your DS. While you could spend a lot on an electronic dictionary, you could also spend roughly around ¥6,200 (not sure how they price it in Japan) on a DS game. Quite a deal in my opinion :3.

I don't know where to get these, but these are just my personal recommendations. Sorry... they're not exactly what you were looking for though ^_^;;.

MistressPookyChan
05-30-2008, 07:28 AM
The kanji dictionary is really handy. I love using it. As for the kanji game, I would not recommend it for beginners. I am intermediate level and I find it difficult. It also doesn't tell you the meaning of the word: only the reading.

Ertai87
05-31-2008, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I'm looking for something that'll give me either an English meaning and ask me the kanji, or the other way around, and preferably both. I can read about 200 kanji by meaning, about 80 by sound, and write about 100, so I'm a real beginner.