PDA

View Full Version : もっと言ってやれ What is the nuance of this phrase?

raintree_leaf
05-28-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't think it simply means "I will say more"?

Datenshi
05-28-2008, 01:34 AM
"I will say more" is もっと言ってやる. The ~やれ form means the phrase is a suggestion.

もっと言ってやれ -> Say more (to him), will you?

raintree_leaf
05-28-2008, 04:29 AM
This sentence is said after someone made a suggestion. It is in reply to "行こう". It gives me the feeling that the phrase means "I agree" .After " もっと言ってやれ",they started moving out. So I'm not sure what it actually means.

LavaBug
05-28-2008, 05:41 AM
My guess is something like:

Talk a little (some) more!/.

(Could probably also mean something like "tell me more" but that depens on the context)

dabura667
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Your ability to give context is astounding.

someone says "行こう" and then someone replies "もっと言ってやれ" implies there is a situation there that I don't understand...

Ex.

So... A and B are dating and A just got into a fight with B (the guy) and then C shows up and Hears B's side of the story, totally backing him up, and says "WHY DON'T YOU SAY ANYTHING ELSE!?!!"

B, embarrassed at his inability to speak his mind to his GF, wants to get away from C, his friend, (plus he suddenly feels, "ok this is no longer C's business") so he tells A "lets go" (行こう) and then C buts in with a "F-ing say something to her about it!" (もっと言ってやれ)

if that was the situation, see how I had to use words dealing with the situation, like "about it" and "her" and whatnot...

Japan doesn't like these types of words

English needs these words...

a literal translation with no context in Eng would be

"More say (command form, condescending, also showing condescendingness from the commanded person to the person to which they are being told to say more to)"

Cloudyboi
08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
just sounds like one persons sayings 'lets go' and the other dude is saying ' let me say more!' or 'let me talk more!' either way same thing. but different Japanese people would interpet the mean differently, yet understand a similar meaning... so yea.

but sense the "Setting" and the "Circumstances" are not listed, no one could really have any idea what your talking about.