PDA

View Full Version : The cycle of crap

Gelnika
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Has anyone here (probably the people who have been playing MMOs for a while) notice that Online RPGs just end with a big splat?
For example, my very first MMORPG was RuneScape. I loved it. I quit like a year or two later. I picked up WoW, and loved it. Quit a year later or something. And then I just played random free MMORPGs around the net for like a month at a time and now, I'm sick of them all.

None of them have a consistent system that keeps me playing. I have no idea how some people can play these things for days and not get bored. Basically, you're either farming for hours to get money, or killing stuff for hours just to get up a level or two. It's ridiculous. Crafting is usually the only thing that keeps me playing for longer periods of time, and once that gets boring, I just quit.

Anyone here have the same thoughts?

toibuster
05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
yea i hear you but
what keeps me going on the
same MMO is my friends
they make it a lot more
fun for me

Gelnika
05-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Friends do help a lot, but then one of them quits or something. I just think i'm done with MMORPGs for a long time.

Sagat
05-26-2008, 09:45 PM
EXACTLY why I left WoW, and until one comes along that is not a total time sink and fun (hoping for Darkfall or Warhammer) I'm also done with MMORPG.

guyser
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Sounds like you just need to take a break from the genre if you're not having fun.

For me, I mostly keep playing because of the communities and the friends I make in-game. A great community can make up for a lot of lackluster gameplay elements.

Sanosuke23
05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Really, MMOs are just hyperelaborate chatrooms when you get right down to it. It's pretty much impossible to have a persistent world or a proper "conclusion," so if you're holding out for either of those then just walk away now and don't look back.

BurningBlazeX
06-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Sounds like you just need to take a break from the genre if you're not having fun.

For me, I mostly keep playing because of the communities and the friends I make in-game. A great community can make up for a lot of lackluster gameplay elements.

I think thats the best things about MMORPGs, if an MMO doesnt have a good community...i end up quitting about a week or two after starting

Cantelope
06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm.....but WoW had me enthralled for a good 3 years.

Nineteenth
06-22-2008, 11:42 AM
have a consistent system that keeps me playing. I have no idea how some people can play these things for days and not get bored.
There's actually a whole bunch of reasons why people play these games endlessly despite how awful they can get. A few reasons are right in front of you; The person themselves are easily manipulable. You give them a tedious task and tell them there's a payoff, they will work towards that goal; Even if the reward never comes. Then there's the whole "imaginary accomplishment" thing. Alot of these games (As of late, it's the newer free ones) give off a false sense of accomplishment. They tell people that they can be the THE BEST, THE GREATEST AND HAVE LOTS OF NEVER ENDING FUN DOING X WHILE EXPLORING THE WORLD OF Y NOW WITH Z+00,00 PEOPLE PLAYING. (I once played one of those games with a bunch of members from here back in '05. We all quit at the same time once we realized the main thing that makes people actually wants to play these games is a lie. There was no fun. There was only clicking. Endlessly. ) Then that primal competitive desire alot of people have and I stress the world primal. They will do the same thing over and over, not because it's fun. But because they take it seriously. It is their life now, you are not; You are a stepping stone in their path to imaginary internet glory.You must be eliminated. There is no fun here, just my dominance. Those kind of players quickly turn -any- thing into a shark pool; people who can't enjoy period unless they're in conflict over being the absolute best. They do not care how crappy the game is, how childish the game is or how much time they spend playing it, unless they're the best period. Nutshell. Divided Into 3 Groups 1. Normal People and Easily controlled people. 1a. Normal People that are easily controlled by their friends. 2. People who play these games and continue because of wishful thinking that it will ultimately pay off. 3. People who play these games because of unwarranted self-importance, leads to an excessive competitive nature.

BurningBlazeX
06-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Hmm.....but WoW had me enthralled for a good 3 years.

I really dont see how people play it for that long...but then again, people ask me how ive been playing Flyff for over 2 and a half years. Community is a big thing for me, and aside from all the idiots, theres alot of fun people on it. I didnt find that in WoW and it felt like i was just playing by myself...

randomuser83
06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
To me MMORPG's are only successful if there is a lot of support, constant content updates, and good game mechanics. If you have all these and you dedicate yourself to become good youll have a blast. Games like WOW are meant for you to play casually once you hit the cap its not supposed to drive you to play 24/7 unless you want too.